Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-17-2013   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Luck-Manning link goes way back

Luck-Manning link goes way back
Improbably, dads of QBs who square off Sunday were early-'80s teammates

Quote:
After he was selected in the second round of the 1982 NFL draft by the Houston Oilers, quarterback Oliver Luck rewarded himself with a sweet new ride. The Mazda RX-7 Luck chose was a sleek, silver coupe that had pop-up headlights, a powerful new-age rotary engine and, as Luck would have it, just one minor design flaw.

That season, the hapless Oilers traded for veteran quarterback Archie Manning, which meant Luck's role on the team in the strike-shortened season of 1982 was reduced to little more than designated rookie gopher. And, as such, it often fell to Luck to drive out to the Houston airport each week to pick up the starting quarterback's kids -- two boys you might have heard of before, once or twice, named Cooper and Peyton.

The only problem? The rook's cool RX-7 only had two seats.

"It was my job to pick them up and occupy them with ice cream or hamburgers so Arch could get treatment or run errands or just get a few things done before the boys arrived," said Luck, now the athletic director at West Virginia. "But the RX-7 was a hatchback and it only had two seats. So we had to squeeze both kids in or, sometimes, one went back into the hatchback. I'm guessing it was Peyton since he was younger. He would have been 6 at the time, I think. Looking back now, 30 years later, I realize how valuable the cargo was that I was carrying back there."

At some point, one would assume, Cooper let his little brother escape the hatchback, and the art of quarterbacking has never been the same. Now in his 15th season and widely regarded as the league's top passer (maybe ever), Peyton and his undefeated Denver Broncos return to Indianapolis on Sunday night to face his former team and their outstanding young passer, Andrew Luck.

The last time Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck shared a field was at the Pro Bowl in January. They'll face off in Indianapolis on Sunday.
Of course, the anticipated matchup of Manning versus Luck has garnered wall-to-wall coverage and, oh, just a tad bit of hype -- save for one tiny historical footnote.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/98...-more-30-years

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Luck-Manning link goes way back

I remember Pastorini, Stabler, a really dark period where they didn't even come on TV, and then Moon, but I have no recollection of Archie Manning playing for the Oilers.

I barely remember Oliver Luck. I think he was Warren Moon's backup when I started paying attention to the Oilers again.

Does anyone else remember hearing anything about some conversation these 2 guys had before the 2011 draft when Luck was coming out? Seems like I heard there was some kind of "this town ain't big enough for the two of us" tone. One could only imagine what was said.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I remember Pastorini, Stabler, a really dark period where they didn't even come on TV, and then Moon, but I have no recollection of Archie Manning playing for the Oilers.

I barely remember Oliver Luck. I think he was Warren Moon's backup when I started paying attention to the Oilers again.

Does anyone else remember hearing anything about some conversation these 2 guys had before the 2011 draft when Luck was coming out? Seems like I heard there was some kind of "this town ain't big enough for the two of us" tone. One could only imagine what was said.
Second round pick that led the team to a 2-14 record. He was more mobile than Cody Carelson, but a similar qb. We signed Warren Moon to take over in a year or two. He has the distinction of being the QB taken after degenerate gambler Art Schlichter.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #4
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 97853 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post

Yep, Bum was in New Orleans, so was Stabler. Campbell left not too long later.

We traded for Archie.

The dark years.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read