Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2013   #381
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum to start Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Whatever Case does, how on earth can it be any worse than what Schaub or Yates have done this year?
Well, if you expect Case to play as well as Schaub did vs. San Diego, or at the end of the Tennessee game, you will likely be disappointed. Schaub, in reality, played two bad games: Baltimore and SF... and he choked at the end of Seattle.

I understand the angst. I get the excitement for Case, even. However, QB play can be much worse. Don't make me bring up ancient Texan history, for instance.
Old 10-19-2013   #382
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #383
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Well, if you expect Case to play as well as Schaub did vs. San Diego, or at the end of the Tennessee game, you will likely be disappointed. Schaub, in reality, played two bad games: Baltimore and SF... and he choked at the end of Seattle.
I'm not going to let this turn into a Matt Schaub thread, but Schaub had one good game this season (the opener in San Diego). He put the team into a comeback versus the Titans by his poor play. He did zip in the 2nd half and overtime against the Seahawks. Well, nothing but single-handedly give the team a loss. In his last game against the Rams, he completed some short passes that AJ, Hopkins, and Foster turned into big gains. And he didn't get the ball into the end zone for essentially his last 10 quarters.

So no, the bar for 2013 Texan QB play is not super duper high right now for Case. Get some first downs. Don't sack yourself. Get the ball into the end zone at a decent rate. And don't gift wrap the game for your opponent. Basically, if Case Keenum doesn't play like the 2013 version of Matt Schaub, the Texans have a chance in KC. I think it will be the Schaub lovers at the end of the day who will be the disappointed ones.
Old 10-20-2013   #384
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 53129 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm not going to let this turn into a Matt Schaub thread, but Schaub had one good game this season (the opener in San Diego). He put the team into a comeback versus the Titans by his poor play. He did zip in the 2nd half and overtime against the Seahawks. Well, nothing but single-handedly give the team a loss. In his last game against the Rams, he completed some short passes that AJ, Hopkins, and Foster turned into big gains. And he didn't get the ball into the end zone for essentially his last 10 quarters.

So no, the bar for 2013 Texan QB play is not super duper high right now for Case. Get some first downs. Don't sack yourself. Get the ball into the end zone at a decent rate. And don't gift wrap the game for your opponent. Basically, if Case Keenum doesn't play like the 2013 version of Matt Schaub, the Texans have a chance in KC. I think it will be the Schaub lovers at the end of the day who will be the disappointed ones.

I am going to disagree with you here. Unlike the Anti-Schaub crowd, the Schaub supporters are behind Keenum and hope he does well, but unless he just blows out the Chiefs, Schaub will be the starter again vs the Colts much to the chagrin of the bunch of over reacting, cry babies who whine insistently about Schaub.

Regardless of what you might think because the majority on this board are Schaub haters, IMO the majority of Texans fans are behind Schaub. It's the vocal minority that makes all the noise about Schaub. The rest of the fans move on after the game ends, whereas Schaub haters post for days on end with stuff like pointing out short comings that Schaub has had since he came to Houston, ignoring horrible offensive line play, special teams, defense, or worst of all, making fun of Schaub's name and appearance.

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to be able to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, it's a tremendous honor." -Andre Johnson
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #385
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
I am going to disagree with you here. Unlike the Anti-Schaub crowd, the Schaub supporters are behind Keenum and hope he does well, but unless he just blows out the Chiefs, Schaub will be the starter again vs the Colts much to the chagrin of the bunch of over reacting, cry babies who whine insistently about Schaub.

Regardless of what you might think because the majority on this board are Schaub haters, IMO the majority of Texans fans are behind Schaub.
I'm going to disagree with you. I could link several posts that say "Fans will be disappointed by Case", "Case lovers are in for a letdown", etc. I was just responding to one in the previous post. These are the same posters who thought that Keenum should have been practice squaded after the preseason. In contrast, the anti-Schaub crowd was a small minority until his late 2012-2013 meltdown. I know I was very pro-Matt until his 2012 swan dive. He went from getting the job done, to not getting the job done. It's my belief, based upon what I've seen and some expert opinion I've read, that this is completely due to the after effects of the 2011 Lisfranc injury.

The overwhelming majority of Texan fans I know, be it at work, in the neighborhood, in the forums, or at the games, want Schaub to be replaced. I haven't met one in person that didn't. Not because they don't like him. But because Schaub has been terrible for the past 12 games. Schaub is a lame duck. He won't be brought back in 2014 for a $10.5 million salary. Not when you can get better play from a $500K QB. I can't say that Schaub won't start another game in 2013, because I've seen Kubiak make some really dumb decisions. But I can say that Matt Schaub won't be the Texans QB in 2014. Today's game will give us at least an inkling of whether Case Keenum can be.
Old 10-20-2013   #386
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
I keep hearing that the keenum love is irrational, but I think it's the exact opposite. Schaub has not been a good qb for a while. In fact hes had more bad moments than good. It's almost been a full season of bad qb play dating back to last year. He ended last year on a bad note, and he has been terrible this year. We don't even know how bad the injury even is. So other than liking the guy, just wanting to be right....or being a family member.....There is absolutely 0 reason to be claiming Schaub would start after the bye unless keenum has some all world game.

If this was Donovan Mcnabb having played like this for his last few games we'd be saying he was done. But because you guys have some weird fetish with Schaub, y'all would jeopardize the team trying to find young qb talent on the roster to run Schaub out there?

Why?

There is no good reason why. It's completely illogical.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #387
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27500 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey View Post
there is no good reason why. it's completely illogical.
Spock???
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2013   #388
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I keep hearing that the keenum love is irrational, but I think it's the exact opposite. Schaub has not been a good qb for a while. In fact hes had more bad moments than good. It's almost been a full season of bad qb play dating back to last year. He ended last year on a bad note, and he has been terrible this year. We don't even know how bad the injury even is. So other than liking the guy, just wanting to be right....or being a family member.....

There is absolutely 0 reason to be claiming Schaub would start after the but unless keenum has some all world game.

If this was Donovan Mcnabb having played like this for his last few games we'd be saying he was done. But because you guys have some weird fetish with Schaub, y'all would jeopardize the team trying to find young qb talent on the roster to run Schaub out there?

Why?

ding, ding, ding
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #389
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Put me in the crowd that thinks a win alone will not keep case as the starter but a really good game might. I hope he goes out today and does really well and makes the call hard on Gary
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #390
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub has outlived his usefulness. He was once very good for us, not now. He needs to be replaced. Whether he's replaced by Keenum or someone else, we'll know soon enough.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #391
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Put me in the crowd that thinks a win alone will not keep case as the starter but a really good game might. I hope he goes out today and does really well and makes the call hard on Gary
He doesn't have to have a "really good game", outside of injury or downright putrid play from Keenum, Schaub's days as a starter for Houston are over.
Old 10-20-2013   #392
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
He doesn't have to have a "really good game", outside of injury or downright putrid play from Keenum, Schaub's days as a starter for Houston are over.
Okay
Old 10-20-2013   #393
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub lovers have got to understand that Case does not need to play out of this world to keep the starting job. If he has a game manager stat line and if he makes some nice throws/plays on his feet then he is the starter. Schaub is done unless Case plays like him. And even then, Case would most likely get the next start at home against Indy.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #394
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 13608 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited for Keenum and his opportunity. I hope he runs with it and doesn't look back. I expect the team to play hard for him. If he can transition some of those throws from preseason to today, we have a chance of making headlines.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #395
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

If I am correct and Case struggles, you are right, I will be very disappointed. As a Texan fan, there is no conflict. I can support Schaub, disagree with the hyper-criticism, and also want our backup QB to play well today.
Old 10-20-2013   #396
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I keep hearing that the keenum love is irrational, but I think it's the exact opposite. Schaub has not been a good qb for a while. In fact hes had more bad moments than good. It's almost been a full season of bad qb play dating back to last year. He ended last year on a bad note, and he has been terrible this year. We don't even know how bad the injury even is. So other than liking the guy, just wanting to be right....or being a family member.....There is absolutely 0 reason to be claiming Schaub would start after the bye unless keenum has some all world game.

Why?

I heard Rich Gannon on the radio this week discussing the Texan QB situation. He thinks Matt Schaub playing better is the Texans best chance for success this year. Is he a family member, a friend, or just wanting to be right?... Or, do you just know more about football than Gannon does?
Old 10-20-2013   #397
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I heard Rich Gannon on the radio this week discussing the Texan QB situation. He thinks Matt Schaub playing better is the Texans best chance for success this year. Is he a family member, a friend, or just wanting to be right?... Or, do you just know more about football than Gannon does?
He doesn't have to know more than a "football player", if Rich Gannon who doesn't even follow this team is your ace in the hole argument then Schaub is in deeper trouble than I even thought..

There's people within the Texans locker room (yes.. people who play football.. like Gannon did.. people who actually know what's going on with the Texans.. unlike Gannon) that think Keenum gives them a chance to win now.
Old 10-20-2013   #398
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
He doesn't have to know more than a "football player", if Rich Gannon who doesn't even follow this team is your ace in the hole argument then Schaub is in deeper trouble than I even thought..

There's people within the Texans locker room (yes.. people who play football.. like Gannon did.. people who actually know what's going on with the Texans.. unlike Gannon) that think Keenum gives them a chance to win now.

Or maybe texans fans on both sides of the qb situation are biased
Old 10-20-2013   #399
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Or one side is looking towards the future while the other is holding on to past false hopes.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #400
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I've been on both sides.. I used to be a Schaub fan, I'm not any more

maybe Texan fans on one side are just more proactive than the other and are ahead of the curve and can see what's coming down the road.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read