Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2013   #361
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Case Keenum to start Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This is an example of the writings going around in Chiefs media publications and on MBs. It will be great if going into this game this attitude is shared by the Chiefs coaches and players.
link
I think the Chiefs' fans have been drinking too much of their own koolaid.

If I were a KC fan I would be cautious, knowing our defense has not been tested at all, & the Texans are better than they've been playing. All it takes is one game to wake up that sleeping bull & I don't want to be the team to poke him with a stick.
Old 10-19-2013   #362
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26601 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

If I were a KC fan I would be cautious, knowing our defense has not been tested at all, & the Texans are better than they've been playing. All it takes is one game to wake up that sleeping bull & I don't want to be the team to poke him with a stick.
The Texans are like that caged animal ready to be unleashed.
Old 10-19-2013   #363
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Yeah, especially after that WHOLE YEAR of misery they had to suffer through. Poor bastids.
Meanwhile Texans fans have had to suffer throgh 8 yrs of Rick/Gary's excuses. It's on me.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #364
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Meanwhile Texans fans have had to suffer throgh 8 yrs of Rick/Gary's excuses. It's on me.
So far, we've suffered through 4 games. If Kubiak can get this train back on track, we'll be alright.
Old 10-19-2013   #365
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Yeah, especially after that WHOLE YEAR of misery they had to suffer through. Poor bastids.
If we can be so lucky as to find a player like Luck at the QB spot in the upcoming draft .... this season of shattered expectations will have been worth it.

(Or if Keenum turns into Drew Brees V2.0 however unlikely)

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #366
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever Case does, how on earth can it be any worse than what Schaub or Yates have done this year?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #367
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
So far, we've suffered through 4 games.
Wish I had your memory.
Old 10-19-2013   #368
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What brass balled head coach ever benched his 12 win QB for an undrafted unproven 2nd year player? As much as it doesn't make sense, Kubiak pretty much went by the book with his QB depth chart. & you can downplay Tj's play off experience all you want, but no other coach would have put Keenum in as the #2 when Tj's started 5 regular season games & 2 play off games & played relatively well in them.

Tj was the right choice for back-up QB then & he's the right choice for back-up QB now.

Our biggest problem was that Matt was good enough & nobody is going to start an unknown over good enough. Belichick did not start Brady over the good enough Bledsoe. Bledsoe had to get hurt & Brady had to seize his opportunity. Parcells didn't start Romo over the good enough Bledsoe, Drew had to get injured & Romo had to seize his opportunity. The great Harbaugh didn't start Kaepernick over the good enough Smith, Smith had to have a concussion & fail to clear the concussion protocol & Kaepernick had to seize his opportunity.

Wilson started over Flynn, but Flynn had one game, not a play-off victory, under his belt.

Oh... game experience is important now? Really?

Concerning the start after the bye. Two things have to happen.
  1. Team confidence

If I were Kubiak I want to see a focused team execute the way I know they should. If I see that, I would attribute that to Keenum. I doubt Kubiak would.

2. Ball security

Matt is in a slump, going back to last year. But if he gets out of it, he'll be one of the better QBs at taking care of the ball. Case has got to show he's competent. Only one of Matt's Ints were "bad decisions." Yates made 2 bad decisions in less than a quarter of football. If Case makes more than one bad decision, he won't start after the bye. If Case makes one bad decision, I'm contemplating letting him start after the bye. If he makes 0 bad decisions & it seems the team rallied around him... he'll start.
Mike Shanahan
Old 10-19-2013   #369
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135003 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Lol, the bull has already been poked and zapped!
Old 10-19-2013   #370
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What brass balled head coach ever benched his 12 win QB for an undrafted unproven 2nd year player? As much as it doesn't make sense, Kubiak pretty much went by the book with his QB depth chart. & you can downplay Tj's play off experience all you want, but no other coach would have put Keenum in as the #2 when Tj's started 5 regular season games & 2 play off games & played relatively well in them.

Tj was the right choice for back-up QB then & he's the right choice for back-up QB now.

Our biggest problem was that Matt was good enough & nobody is going to start an unknown over good enough. Belichick did not start Brady over the good enough Bledsoe. Bledsoe had to get hurt & Brady had to seize his opportunity. Parcells didn't start Romo over the good enough Bledsoe, Drew had to get injured & Romo had to seize his opportunity. The great Harbaugh didn't start Kaepernick over the good enough Smith, Smith had to have a concussion & fail to clear the concussion protocol & Kaepernick had to seize his opportunity.

Wilson started over Flynn, but Flynn had one game, not a play-off victory, under his belt.

Oh... game experience is important now? Really?

Concerning the start after the bye. Two things have to happen.
  1. Team confidence

If I were Kubiak I want to see a focused team execute the way I know they should. If I see that, I would attribute that to Keenum. I doubt Kubiak would.

2. Ball security

Matt is in a slump, going back to last year. But if he gets out of it, he'll be one of the better QBs at taking care of the ball. Case has got to show he's competent. Only one of Matt's Ints were "bad decisions." Yates made 2 bad decisions in less than a quarter of football. If Case makes more than one bad decision, he won't start after the bye. If Case makes one bad decision, I'm contemplating letting him start after the bye. If he makes 0 bad decisions & it seems the team rallied around him... he'll start.

Schaub is done here. Short of Us winning a game with Case playing absolutely terrible, Schaub is not likely to play any more games for the texans
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #371
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Schaub is done here. Short of Us winning a game with Case playing absolutely terrible, Schaub is not likely to play any more games for the texans
Kibbles is still head coach. I wouldn't put anything past him.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #372
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I hope you're right. I hope Kubiak's decision to start Case means the future is now. I truly believe Kubiak can design & coach a winning offense with Tj or Case, or Schaub if they stop turning the ball over. & I'm pretty much convinced that Kubiak believes Keenum has a future in the NFL & was destined to be our starter in 2014.
Old 10-19-2013   #373
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126395 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Keenum is magical tomorrow. It'd be the tonic I need after this loss to Auburn.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #374
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Kibbles is still head coach. I wouldn't put anything past him.
Me neither, but we have to remember that Gary is probably coaching for his job at this point. If it was just a "start someone until Matt is better" deal I think he would have gone with Yates. If Case goes off and has a great game then I think it's over for Matt. If he doesn't, who knows... I bet we get a QB in the draft if Case doesn't work out.
Old 10-19-2013   #375
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope you're right. I hope Kubiak's decision to start Case means the future is now. I truly believe Kubiak can design & coach a winning offense with Tj or Case, or Schaub if they stop turning the ball over. & I'm pretty much convinced that Kubiak believes Keenum has a future in the NFL & was destined to be our starter in 2014.
I hope kubiak doesn't anoint case. I hope that hes setting a high standard for him because if case comes out and struggles or looks meh, and then he annoints him the starter next year I will know that he hasn't learned a damn thing. We need better play from that position. We need someone that can survive mistakes and make up for them. We need someone that makes plays even when other aspects have broken down.

I'm convinced Matt isn't that guy. Maybe he comes back and proves me wrong. I'd LOVE that. I honestly don't care who it is. I honestly don't. But I'm willing to cycle through guys this year to see if anyone already here has it. If not, grab one in the draft.

When you have great play at the qb position it makes it so much easier on everyone else.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #376
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly I think Case is actually coming into a good situation. KC has a fairly weak run defense. If we can exploit that with Arian Foster and Tate, Case may not have to win the game, but just manage it.

I doubt we will be running it 40 times tomorrow, but barring complete collapses on defense and ST, Case shouldn't be called on to do too much to win.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #377
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 114477 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with this, thats why he was put on the roster this season and not the PS. I think kubes knew he was going to get a shot to be the future of the texans, i however dont think Kubiak thought it would be this soon.

I'm pumped for the game tomorrow, cant wait to see what Case can do at the Pro level.
Old 10-19-2013   #378
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 64840 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Whatever Case does, how on earth can it be any worse than what Schaub or Yates have done this year?
Well, if you expect Case to play as well as Schaub did vs. San Diego, or at the end of the Tennessee game, you will likely be disappointed. Schaub, in reality, played two bad games: Baltimore and SF... and he choked at the end of Seattle.

I understand the angst. I get the excitement for Case, even. However, QB play can be much worse. Don't make me bring up ancient Texan history, for instance.
Old 10-19-2013   #379
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 143147 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #380
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Well, if you expect Case to play as well as Schaub did vs. San Diego, or at the end of the Tennessee game, you will likely be disappointed. Schaub, in reality, played two bad games: Baltimore and SF... and he choked at the end of Seattle.
I'm not going to let this turn into a Matt Schaub thread, but Schaub had one good game this season (the opener in San Diego). He put the team into a comeback versus the Titans by his poor play. He did zip in the 2nd half and overtime against the Seahawks. Well, nothing but single-handedly give the team a loss. In his last game against the Rams, he completed some short passes that AJ, Hopkins, and Foster turned into big gains. And he didn't get the ball into the end zone for essentially his last 10 quarters.

So no, the bar for 2013 Texan QB play is not super duper high right now for Case. Get some first downs. Don't sack yourself. Get the ball into the end zone at a decent rate. And don't gift wrap the game for your opponent. Basically, if Case Keenum doesn't play like the 2013 version of Matt Schaub, the Texans have a chance in KC. I think it will be the Schaub lovers at the end of the day who will be the disappointed ones.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read