Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2013   #341
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum to start Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Poor Kubiak. So many folks flamed him for his "predictable" playcalling. I don't think his playcalling is as predictable as one might think. It's his starting QB that is predictable.

In every NFL game sometimes the opposing defense will be in perfect coverage against a certain plays. But that don't happen most of the time and there will usually be at least one receiver that will get open just long enough for a well timed pass. At the start of the snap whether it's good playcalling or not it's ultimately the QB job to recognize it and find that receiver or throw it away if no one are open. When Brady or Manning does this, it's just another pro bowl play. When Schaub throws an interception from this, Kubes gets drilled for being "predictable".

Now, if Keenum goes out and light it up with the same plays, do Kubiak still gets tagged for his predictable playcalling? He did afterall announced Keenum his starting QB for this week which not many thought would happen. How's that for being predictable.
I tend to agree with you .... Its Schaub who's the predictable one. There are receivers running routes other than a TE on a short crossing route or a RB dump off .... Schaub hasn't taken advantage of those routes. Why , I cant quite determine .... but there are plays to be made. With Schaub they were being left on the field .... I really hope that changes with a different skillset at the QB position.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #342
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
If Gary's starter is healthy I think he goes back to him unless Case performs outstanding. Not a game manager who just doesnt throw ints. I think he will go back to his horse if it can walk
Nah, Case can just be game manager and keep the starting job. If he makes tight throws, scrambles for a few yards or a first down, etc. Not all about the final stat line.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #343
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
Kubiak would get killed if Keenum plays well enough to get the W and Kubiak went back to schaub.

Schaub is physically and mentally shot. There's no coming back from getting booed on your own stadium when you got hurt.

There's no coming back from that. The marriage of schaub and texan fans just went hollywood. The booing in houston, the burger name, the incident at his home, it went hollywood. Before that, schaub and texan fan marriage was like an ordinary couple suffering through a mediocre marriage.

Sure the money great, good job, nice home, nice status but Matt wasnt getting it done in bed (big games). It culminated in Schaub's impotence this season and now schaub and texan fans marriage is over.

The reason being hollywood's #1 divorce designation:

irreconcilable differences.

Its over between schaub and texan fans. That relationship is over.
Case CHILL you have our support ! Just play well sunday and everything will work itself out !
Old 10-18-2013   #344
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 68516 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Case CHILL you have our support ! Just play well sunday and everything will work itself out !
Wow, so Lord Bills is Case.

And 2012Champs is obviously Schaub.

Wonder what other players are on here among us???
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #345
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post

HAHA i wouldnt be shocked if a plyer or two actually do post occasionally.
Old 10-18-2013   #346
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm actually Kubiak. It's why I hate myself so much.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #347
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm happy with Case starting! No offense to TJ but Case is a smart guy, son of a coach and played 14 years in college. He's had Houston on his the front of his jersey for a really long time.

My only hope is that Kubes doesn't "dumb down" the playbook. Case is a much better playing 'full on' and making plays (Term 'De jour') "off schedule"..

While this game v. the Chiefs isn't completely on that "he's a good kid", I think the rest of the Texans will have his back, irrespective whether we all suppose that Kubes has lost the locker room.

The ST needs to play a helluva game. The defense needs to stick Alex Smith in the head (figuratively, not literaly) and cause some turnovers. Otherwise it's going to be a long, late Sunday afternoon.
Old 10-18-2013   #348
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post

I thought 2012Champs was yates?
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #349
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'm actually Kubiak. It's why I hate myself so much.
Not believing it, I have seen you have an opinion that makes sense ... cant be Gary.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #350
waynegg
Veteran

Rep Power: 3727 waynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
This will be fascinating.

What does Keenum need to do to show he is the QB for this team?
Completing passes to receivers who are still in stride would be a great start...
waynegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #351
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Just woke up and saw this thread. I Can't believe Case will be a starting QB against KC game!

Go Case Go!!!!!
Go back to sleep and wake up Monday and I'll tell you about a Texans' win. lol
Old 10-19-2013   #352
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Mark me down as happy Case is finally getting to play. He should have beaten out Yates in preseason but Kubiak couldn't bring himself to demote Yates to 3rd string. We all know he was never going to beat out Schaub in a Kubiak training camp.

It is kind of throwing him to the wolves starting in KC against a top defense in what just became the loudest stadium but its ok. He will get great experience going into the bye week and be able to digest it and build from it during those 2 weeks. I don't care if he plays bad in this game. He should still get the start after the bye week. That sunday night game against the Colts will be the real test for Keenum and one I think he will pass. Two full weeks practicing with the ones and the game experience from KC should bring positive results. Rally the troops Case!
Old 10-19-2013   #353
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Last night, I heard an interview with Case's HS coach, who offered one especially interesting comment. He stated that Case's critics have always pointed to the fact that he has never necessarily tested out with impressive 40 times, but, as in HS as well as throughout his career, he surely always manages to stay one step ahead of the defenders.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #354
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Case's critics have always pointed to the fact that he has never necessarily tested out with impressive 40 times,
"40 times are the most important stat for a QB"

signed Tom Brady (5.23)
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #355
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Last night, I heard an interview with Case's HS coach, who offered one especially interesting comment. He stated that Case's critics have always pointed to the fact that he has never necessarily tested out with impressive 40 times, but, as in HS as well as throughout his career, he surely always manages to stay one step ahead of the defenders.
He had to be, since he was a dual-threat QB.
Just look at all the rushing TDs he scored in HS and college; a statue can't do that.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #356
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

This is an example of the writings going around in Chiefs media publications and on MBs. It will be great if going into this game this attitude is shared by the Chiefs coaches and players.
Quote:
Poor, poor Case Keenum.

Not to take away from what he did in college—breaking the NCAA passing record and putting up 19,217 yards and 155 touchdowns in five seasons because of injury—but he’s not playing in a mid-card college football conference anymore.

This is Arrowhead in all of its glory. This is a rabid fan base hellbent on making noise, setting records and cheering its team on to a 7-0 record.

One simply can’t imagine a more hostile environment to walk into as a first time starter at quarterback, but then throw in the likes of Justin Houston, Tamba Hali, Donari Poe, Eric Berry and crew playing at an elite level—and this could end up being a very rough NFL welcome for the prolific college passer.

Keenum spent last year on the Texans’ practice squad and was inactive for the first six games of the 2013 season.

Poor, poor Case Keenum.
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #357
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is an example of the writings going around in Chiefs media publications and on MBs. It will be great if going into this game this attitude is shared by the Chiefs coaches and players.
link
That is a pretty fair assessment, you couldn't ask for a tougher assignment than this one for your first start.

We'll get a pretty clear picture if Case wears big boy pants from this game.
Old 10-19-2013   #358
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Mark me down as happy Case is finally getting to play. He should have beaten out Yates in preseason but Kubiak couldn't bring himself to demote Yates to 3rd string. We all know he was never going to beat out Schaub in a Kubiak training camp.
What brass balled head coach ever benched his 12 win QB for an undrafted unproven 2nd year player? As much as it doesn't make sense, Kubiak pretty much went by the book with his QB depth chart. & you can downplay Tj's play off experience all you want, but no other coach would have put Keenum in as the #2 when Tj's started 5 regular season games & 2 play off games & played relatively well in them.

Tj was the right choice for back-up QB then & he's the right choice for back-up QB now.

Our biggest problem was that Matt was good enough & nobody is going to start an unknown over good enough. Belichick did not start Brady over the good enough Bledsoe. Bledsoe had to get hurt & Brady had to seize his opportunity. Parcells didn't start Romo over the good enough Bledsoe, Drew had to get injured & Romo had to seize his opportunity. The great Harbaugh didn't start Kaepernick over the good enough Smith, Smith had to have a concussion & fail to clear the concussion protocol & Kaepernick had to seize his opportunity.

Wilson started over Flynn, but Flynn had one game, not a play-off victory, under his belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
It is kind of throwing him to the wolves starting in KC against a top defense in what just became the loudest stadium but its ok. He will get great experience going into the bye week and be able to digest it and build from it during those 2 weeks. I don't care if he plays bad in this game. He should still get the start after the bye week. That sunday night game against the Colts will be the real test for Keenum and one I think he will pass. Two full weeks practicing with the ones and the game experience from KC should bring positive results. Rally the troops Case!
Oh... game experience is important now? Really?

Concerning the start after the bye. Two things have to happen.
  1. Team confidence

If I were Kubiak I want to see a focused team execute the way I know they should. If I see that, I would attribute that to Keenum. I doubt Kubiak would.

2. Ball security

Matt is in a slump, going back to last year. But if he gets out of it, he'll be one of the better QBs at taking care of the ball. Case has got to show he's competent. Only one of Matt's Ints were "bad decisions." Yates made 2 bad decisions in less than a quarter of football. If Case makes more than one bad decision, he won't start after the bye. If Case makes one bad decision, I'm contemplating letting him start after the bye. If he makes 0 bad decisions & it seems the team rallied around him... he'll start.
Old 10-19-2013   #359
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 15379 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Only one of Matt's interceptions was a bad decision? That's rich..
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #360
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
To be honest , I think Schaub is finished here .... unless Keenum stinks the joint up , I think he's the QB for the rest of the season.

If he stinks the joint up .... all bets are off as to who's under center in Reliant Vs. the Dolts. (Damn those bastards are lucky , go from arguably the best to ever play the game to a prodigy in Luck - sure must be nice to be a Dolts fan these days).
Yeah, especially after that WHOLE YEAR of misery they had to suffer through. Poor bastids.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read