Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-16-2013   #21
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre's thoughts on Keenum

Its so hard for me as a Houston Cougar to be objective on the subject of Case Keenum. I want him to earn this, but I also want him to succeed in the worst way to show all those who doubted his talent that he is a good QB and can succeed at this level. It also irked me how they called him a system QB in college, but when RG III and Johnny Football played in the same offense they never got that label.

Case has given all UH fans a lot of joy watching him play and I want him to be able to do that to Texan fans too.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #22
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 28959 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
I think Case starts.

I think if Yates was undoubtedly going to be the starter they wouldn't even bother him sharing snaps with Case. The fact that Case is even a question at this point as a 3rd string QB means that Kubiak is giving it serious question.

I mean if Yates is truly the 2nd string QB then this is his job, no doubt about it...so why split the practice time? I think it's under more serious consideration and now other players getting behind Keenum and Yates previous play has only helped.
MSR.

Such a simple yet obvious way to look at it; I can't believe I hadn't thought of it. I actually feel stupid for having not looked at that angle. And here I was thinking Kubes was going to star Keenum because he mentioned Case first out of the two when he said he was going to work them both out to prepare for the game. I could be looking into too much, but I think psychologically that was telling.

But remember folks, we'd be throwing Case into one helluva damn cauldron in Arrowhead for his first NFL start. I don't know if Kubes would do that.
EVOLVIST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #23
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
MSR.

Such a simple yet obvious way to look at it; I can't believe I hadn't thought of it. I actually feel stupid for having not looked at that angle. And here I was thinking Kubes was going to star Keenum because he mentioned Case first out of the two when he mentioned he was going to work them both out to prepare for the game. I could be looking into too much, but I think psychologically that was telling.

But remember folks, we'd be throwing Case into one helluva damn cauldron in Arrowhead for his first NFL start. I don't know if Kubes would do that.
i think this is the perfect time to put him in, i dont think Case needs a confidence builder game haha. I think this is just what he needs, and i honestly dont think anyone will be dissapointed with the results.
Old 10-16-2013   #24
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 10m
Andre Johnson said Keenum "has an aura about him". Said he is just so excited to be out there and is having fun. #Texans
If anyone watched the preseason you would have seen this yourself. There was a marked difference in the energy and intensity level when Case was in.
Old 10-16-2013   #25
ST675
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
If anyone watched the preseason you would have seen this yourself. There was a marked difference in the energy and intensity level when Case was in.
yup, I was more on the edge of my seat just to see him play.

IMO good or bad, Let him play the entire game. Let fans see what he can do good or bad. You have a bye week coming up, that gives the team time to rest up and get better, plus gives the fans and talking heads two weeks to digest the quality of all 3 QB's. This gives more of a look to what we have for the near future..
ST675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #26
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

To be fair, AJ had positive things to say about both Case and TJ, and he'd be comfortable with both of them

Quote:
James Palmer @JPalmerCSN
Andre Johnson said when Yates is out there it's all business. He likes both he said. #Texans
Let's not make more out of AJ's comments than there actually was. That said, I want to see Keenum get a chance to start.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I think Case starts.

I think if Yates was undoubtedly going to be the starter they wouldn't even bother him sharing snaps with Case. The fact that Case is even a question at this point as a 3rd string QB means that Kubiak is giving it serious question.

I mean if Yates is truly the 2nd string QB then this is his job, no doubt about it...so why split the practice time? I think it's under more serious consideration and now other players getting behind Keenum and Yates previous play has only helped.
Let's imagine you've got to put a football team out on the field to play come Sunday. You must be prepared to finish the game, even if a player gets hurt. So you've got to prepare the starter, then you've got to prepare your back up.

At WR, for instance. Keyshawn Martin gets snaps at both the Y & the Z position. If something were to happen to either Andre or DeAndre, Keyshawn becomes a starter. With that in mind, Keyshawn takes first team snaps during practice. Andre & DeAndre gets most of them. Keyshawn probably gets as much, since he is preparing for two positions.

In the case of our QB..... even before our game week 1, game, our #1 & #2 QBs split snaps. Schaub got most of them, Tj got quiet a few. Case led the scout team. None of the snaps he took prepared him for coming into a regular season game. That makes sense, since he wasn't expected to see any part of a regular season game.

Now, the fate of our starting QB is in question. We don't know if he's going to be able to play. In the event that he can't start the game & something prevents Tj from finishing the game, we need to be prepared to send someone out there & "play" QB. Since Keenum is the only other QB on our roster, he gets the nod.

Kubiak said he's got to prepare both of his young QBs for Sunday's game. We assumed that meant Case may get an opportunity to start. It's possible (far fetched, I know) that he meant he's got to prepare Tj to start & Case to be a back up.

Crazy idea, I know... but stranger things have happened.
Old 10-16-2013   #28
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
To be fair, AJ had positive things to say about both Case and TJ, and he'd be comfortable with both of them

Let's not make more out of AJ's comments than there actually was. That said, I want to see Keenum get a chance to start.
Yeah, but he basically says Case has something extra about him.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #29
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

FFS. Two pages of this bollocks.

Andre was specifically asked about Keenum, and duly replied. He most likely would have said the same thing had he been asked about Yates.

Do you actually think AJ would throw Keenum under the bus by saying, "I haven't seen much of him because he was on the practice squad all last year, and this year he's been running the scout team, that is when TJ isn't available."

I get the excitement over the unknown. But this is not a case of AJ seeking out a reporter just to fawn over Keenum.

Old 10-16-2013   #30
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Andre was specifically asked about Keenum, and duly replied. He most likely would have said the same thing had he been asked about Yates.
He did. Check my post above.
Old 10-16-2013   #31
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 112830 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Its so hard for me as a Houston Cougar to be objective on the subject of Case Keenum. I want him to earn this, but I also want him to succeed in the worst way to show all those who doubted his talent that he is a good QB and can succeed at this level. It also irked me how they called him a system QB in college, but when RG III and Johnny Football played in the same offense they never got that label.

Case has given all UH fans a lot of joy watching him play and I want him to be able to do that to Texan fans too.
Love this post. My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-16-2013   #32
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
FFS. Two pages of this bollocks.

Do you actually think AJ would throw Keenum under the bus by saying, "I haven't seen much of him because he was on the practice squad all last year, and this year he's been running the scout team, that is when TJ isn't available."

I get the excitement over the unknown. But this is not a case of AJ seeking out a reporter just to fawn over Keenum.

AJ could of easily said yeah i have confidence in Keenum, but he didnt he specifically said he has that thing about him, which is what a lot of us here see as well. Its not hard to see that Keenum has qualities the other two QBs do not have.
Old 10-16-2013   #33
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

It sounds corny as hell, but it wouldn't hurt the team to have a little fun. Keenum's giddy energy could very well be the hangover cure the Texans need. Lord knows that hair of the dog aint working.
Old 10-16-2013   #34
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
AJ could of easily said yeah i have confidence in Keenum, but he didnt he specifically said he has that thing about him, which is what a lot of us here see as well. Its not hard to see that Keenum has qualities the other two QBs do not have.
I like case and I honestly think that if Schaub can't get it done that you have to go to Keenum because Yates is Schaub lite but I don't think that what AJ said is positive at all.

If you ask me that is not what you want AJ to say.

"So AJ what do you think about that barbiesque cheerleader over there?"

"She's hot! She dances well"

"And what about the new "anchor" of the squad?"

"She's really got an aura about her... she's out there having fun"

I might be wrong, but I really thought that was the "great personality" of compliments...

It wasn't "he can make all of the throws" or the "he's got a great command of the huddle".

And again, I'm a Case guy, I just don't think this was really that much of a compliment as much as it was just a statement.

It was probably not a "he's awesome" or "he sucks" it was probably just a "um, I don't want to say anything too good or to bad".

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #35
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post

What you posted was just Andre being PC. What Andre said about Case was real.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #36
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Let's imagine you've got to put a football team out on the field to play come Sunday. You must be prepared to finish the game, even if a player gets hurt. So you've got to prepare the starter, then you've got to prepare your back up.

At WR, for instance. Keyshawn Martin gets snaps at both the Y & the Z position. If something were to happen to either Andre or DeAndre, Keyshawn becomes a starter. With that in mind, Keyshawn takes first team snaps during practice. Andre & DeAndre gets most of them. Keyshawn probably gets as much, since he is preparing for two positions.

In the case of our QB..... even before our game week 1, game, our #1 & #2 QBs split snaps. Schaub got most of them, Tj got quiet a few. Case led the scout team. None of the snaps he took prepared him for coming into a regular season game. That makes sense, since he wasn't expected to see any part of a regular season game.

Now, the fate of our starting QB is in question. We don't know if he's going to be able to play. In the event that he can't start the game & something prevents Tj from finishing the game, we need to be prepared to send someone out there & "play" QB. Since Keenum is the only other QB on our roster, he gets the nod.

Kubiak said he's got to prepare both of his young QBs for Sunday's game. We assumed that meant Case may get an opportunity to start. It's possible (far fetched, I know) that he meant he's got to prepare Tj to start & Case to be a back up.

Here's how I interpreted the bolded part. Kubiak is going to start Yates. he has experience, and is already the #2. The reason he is preparing both QB's equally is because Yates is going to have an extremely short leash. If he plays as poorly as he did last week, Kubiak will not hesitate to throw Keenum in there, so he needs to have both of them ready to go.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #37
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think anyone that saw him play were impressed with what he did in preseason.

I'll be surprised if they put Yates out there, moreso if they go to Schaub.
That means you think Case Keenum will get the start. Sorry, I don't think the coaches have enough insight for that.

Schaub and Yates are similar in that both stare down the receiver they want to go to. They can't read a defense nor can they find a secondary target. Yates is better in that he can occasionally throw farther than 5 yards with accuracy.

I don't expect Keenum to be an instant superstar. But he is already better than either alternative, and the season is pretty well blown anyhow, so put him in and let him progress. But don't count on Kubes to realize that and admit it.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #38
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Nope. First of all kubiak said he doesn't know who will start. He wouldn't even commit to starting a healthy Schaub.

Second, you don't split reps if you are trying to get TJ ready to start.

Maybe kubiak genuinely didn't know. Crazy idea.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #39
paycheck71
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
What you posted was just Andre being PC. What Andre said about Case was real.
You can see what you want. I think the entire comment regarding both of them was AJ being PC.

BTW, I'm a Coug and want Case to succeed just as much as the next guy, but let's not read too much into players comments to the media.
Old 10-16-2013   #40
paycheck71
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Nope. First of all kubiak said he doesn't know who will start. He wouldn't even commit to starting a healthy Schaub.

Second, you don't split reps if you are trying to get TJ ready to start.

Maybe kubiak genuinely didn't know. Crazy idea.
I'm not a coach, and I don't know how a coach prepares his team through the week. But Kubiak couldn't have been happy with what he saw out of TJ last Sunday. That being said, there was also a reason why he picked TJ as the #2 over Case after the training camp. Maybe whatever edge he thought TJ had over Case, with them being "neck in neck" as he said himself, is now gone. Maybe he has a better idea after today's practice on who he's leaning towards, and I'd imagine that guy will get the majority of the reps with #1's Thursday and Friday. Just a thought.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read