Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2013   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Coaching Leadership, would like to see it

In the past 3 weeks I've seen two coaches, Pete Carroll and Jeff Fisher, rally their troops. Pete Carroll did it in the 4th quarter when he saw his team cut down a lead, and Fis
her did it when he smelled blood in the water and felt he could come out of the game with a win. Fisher probably thought to himself that his team was young enough to give up a lead so why not rally the troops and get everyone on the same mindset.

I have yet to see Kubiak do that this season when his team needed it the most.

Some may say 'you are screwed already if you have to rally the troops' but I think a coach has to rise to the occasion when he sees his team getting beat and not looking like they want to try.Talk about winning the game and how that's more important and that we still can win etc.... Instead we just see him looking mad on the sideline.

El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #2
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64147 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coaching Leadership, would like to see it

Coaching leadership to me is defined by making the correct decisions at the appropriate time, and sometimes those are not only hard decisions, but may be unpopular. If he starts Case this week then I will have much more respect for Gary than I do now. We have seen what we have with Eeyore and TJ, its time to shake things up and see if a spark can be lit.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #3
bigmck
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck

What ever the definition is, we don't have it. This guy should have never been given the extention.
bigmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #4
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I said to my friend when Fisher had his team around him that that's what a real coach acts like. Of course my friend says, "Yeah, but how many wins does he have." He also thinks we should trade for a QB instead of drafting one because we are in "win now" mode.

bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #5
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

You are NEVER going to see fired up leadership from Coach Milquetoast or Matt Shrug. They form a deadly combination of "meh" when you need a "let's go out there and kick some butt!"

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

the "spark" argument is so overplayed. It'd be 1 thing if this team was playing well in every other facet of this game & just needed something to jump start the offense. That's not the case with this team.

inept quarterbacking
predictable & unimaginative playcalling
o-line isn't playing well at all
offense overall stagnates in the red zone
We don't create TO's
pass rush is anemic
defense on the whole can't keep anyone out of the red zone
penalties...too many at inappropriate times
Special teams are a joke

& all that isn't even mentioning the slug of a head coach we have.

A spark can definitely help with 2 of those things...maybe it can mask another. The rest are overall problems that don't project to be helped by a spark.'

Lastly, a "spark" is just that. A spark....as in temporary. We don't need a spark we need a permanent flame...a good head coach is usually the guy that keeps that flame permanently burning within his team...we don't have that...we have a guy who can't keep that flame going on his own..& only keeps it going b/c the owner keeps giving him lighter fluid.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #7
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 40896 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
the "spark" argument is so overplayed. It'd be 1 thing if this team was playing well in every other facet of this game & just needed something to jump start the offense. That's not the case with this team.

inept quarterbacking
We don't create TO's
pass rush is anemic
Special teams are a joke

A spark can definitely help with 2 of those things...maybe it can mask another. The rest are overall problems that don't project to be helped by a spark.'

Lastly, a "spark" is just that. A spark....as in temporary. We don't need a spark we need a permanent flame...a good head coach is usually the guy that keeps that flame permanently burning within his team.
I think the spark metaphore is pretty good, noone assure you that a spark could generate a roaring fire, but still you have to start from something.

maybe the team is bad just because players are bad, or maybe the team have good elements but they need something to get them to play at the level they're capable of.
Old 10-15-2013   #8
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

inept quarterbacking
We don't create TO's
pass rush is anemic
Special teams are a joke

Lastly, a "spark" is just that. A spark....as in temporary. We don't need a spark we need a permanent flame...a good head coach is usually the guy that keeps that flame permanently burning within his team...we don't have that...we have a guy who can't keep that flame going on his own..& only keeps it going b/c the owner keeps giving him lighter fluid.
Leadership isn't just about supplying an emotional spark, it's about providing a psychological edge and getting your team ready to COMPETE every single week. Look at the mistakes (penalties) all over the field. And take a look at a long-running issue with the team not being ready to play in the first half of games. That's leadership...or rather...a lack of leadership. This coaching staff is just not getting their players to be mentally sharp.

Kubiak has a system, and he doesn't deviate from that system. At some point, predictability and complacency start to plague a system that isn't seeing success. I'm sure he probably approaches practices the same way every day, never questioning if something needs to be radically changed up because it's his "system," and he believes in it so thoroughly that he's blind to its glaring weaknesses.

You can see the inherent issues that Kubiak has with his placing faith in something and basically "setting it and forgetting it." It's not only his playcalling. Remember Richard Smith. Now Marciano. And Schaub. Kubiak has ZERO flexibility, zero adaptability. Good leaders are also creative leaders and leadership is not just about guidance, it's about contingency plans and getting out of jams. Thinking on one's feet.

Kubiak can't do any of that stuff. He. Has. His. System. The only reason he hasn't bronzed that damn Denny's menu of boring plays yet is that it would probably be too heavy to hold on the sidelines the whole game.

He needs to go. Go on, git.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #9
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Coaching leadership to me is defined by making the correct decisions at the appropriate time, and sometimes those are not only hard decisions, but may be unpopular. If he starts Case this week then I will have much more respect for Gary than I do now. We have seen what we have with Eeyore and TJ, its time to shake things up and see if a spark can be lit.

Starting Case would show a lack of leadership and folding to ignorant fan pressure. At best if you are a Case fan you would want to give him weeks of snaps with the 1st teamers in practice so if he starts it should be after the bye
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Leadership isn't just about supplying an emotional spark, it's about providing a psychological edge and getting your team ready to COMPETE every single week. Look at the mistakes (penalties) all over the field. And take a look at a long-running issue with the team not being ready to play in the first half of games. That's leadership...or rather...a lack of leadership. This coaching staff is just not getting their players to be mentally sharp.

Kubiak has a system, and he doesn't deviate from that system. At some point, predictability and complacency start to plague a system that isn't seeing success. I'm sure he probably approaches practices the same way every day, never questioning if something needs to be radically changed up because it's his "system," and he believes in it so thoroughly that he's blind to its glaring weaknesses.

You can see the inherent issues that Kubiak has with his placing faith in something and basically "setting it and forgetting it." It's not only his playcalling. Remember Richard Smith. Now Marciano. And Schaub. Kubiak has ZERO flexibility, zero adaptability. Good leaders are also creative leaders and leadership is not just about guidance, it's about contingency plans and getting out of jams. Thinking on one's feet.

Kubiak can't do any of that stuff. He. Has. His. System. The only reason he hasn't bronzed that damn Denny's menu of boring plays yet is that it would probably be too heavy to hold on the sidelines the whole game.

Couldn't agree more and really that was my overal point, MSR. After 8 years, you can't hide this team's overall issues anymore.
Old 10-15-2013   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

In all honesty, I want to see the team ask the fans for their support. I want Kubiak & Schaub especially to come out & say, "We screwed up. We're sorry. I promise to do my best from here on out. You will see a difference in the way I play/coach. But I'm human, there will still be some mistakes. I need your support.

"Our goals have not changed, we want to win you a championship. But we're going to need your help. Not just on Sunday, but all week. Monday to Sunday we need your support.

"Thank you."
Old 10-15-2013   #12
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
In all honesty, I want to see the team ask the fans for their support. I want Kubiak & Schaub especially to come out & say, "We screwed up. We're sorry. I promise to do my best from here on out. You will see a difference in the way I play/coach. But I'm human, there will still be some mistakes. I need your support.

"Our goals have not changed, we want to win you a championship. But we're going to need your help. Not just on Sunday, but all week. Monday to Sunday we need your support.

"Thank you."
Appeal to the masses eh? Well, i guess if we're in fairy tale land, that might work for like a week...then after a really bad loss where the same issues crop up that have been plaguing this team, then what would he do? Start taking calls on the radio about starting line up changes? Taking advice from fans is the absolute worst thing he could do as the leader of this team.

As it is him starting Case Keenum proports to be the equivalent of a Hail Mary for this season.
Old 10-15-2013   #13
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, we don't pay you millions for you to publicly ask for support. Your pay check should be way more than enough. A coach should never have to do that and I'm sure that would be the last nail.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #14
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
Yeah, we don't pay you millions for you to publicly ask for support. Your pay check should be way more than enough. A coach should never have to do that and I'm sure that would be the last nail.

Envy can be an evil thing
Old 10-15-2013   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Starting Case would show a lack of leadership and folding to ignorant fan pressure. At best if you are a Case fan you would want to give him weeks of snaps with the 1st teamers in practice so if he starts it should be after the bye
Or, it comes down to who Kubiak thinks give this team not just an opportunity to pull out a win, but provide a spark on offense. That choice is Yates or Keenum due to the injury. Yates got snaps on Sunday, give Keenum the snaps this week and make the call.

Seems pretty simple...for a leader.
Old 10-15-2013   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
I need to know they're playing for more than a paycheck.
Old 10-15-2013   #17
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 89864 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Appeal to the masses eh? Well, i guess if we're in fairy tale land, that might work for like a week...then after a really bad loss where the same issues crop up that have been plaguing this team, then what would he do? Start taking calls on the radio about starting line up changes? Taking advice from fans is the absolute worst thing he could do as the leader of this team.

As it is him starting Case Keenum proports to be the equivalent of a Hail Mary for this season.

I suspect the rest of the season will be Cases training camp, and yes, it is a hail Mary move.

Gotta know if we have to go all out for a qb in the next draft.

Our own version of "suck for Luck". But I honestly don't see anyone remotely resembling Luck being available.

Schaub will probably be ir'd the rest of the year. Then gone.

My
Old 10-15-2013   #18
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Or, it comes down to who Kubiak thinks give this team not just an opportunity to pull out a win, but provide a spark on offense. That choice is Yates or Keenum due to the injury. Yates got snaps on Sunday, give Keenum the snaps this week and make the call.

Seems pretty simple...for a leader.

A week of snaps for someone who has taken zero, that should be enough
Old 10-15-2013   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
A week of snaps for someone who has taken zero, that should be enough
Just to be on the same page as you, how many snaps does one need to be enough? Has Yates had that amount of snaps this year?
Old 10-15-2013   #20
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post

MSR...

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read