Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who do you want to start at QB this week?
Schaub 10 9.26%
Yates 6 5.56%
Keenum 86 79.63%
Other 6 5.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2013   #81
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who do you want to start at QB this week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I hope as much as the next guy Case Keenum is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I don't think he is. I think it's just hometown love hyping up someone people desperately want to be a savior for this franchise just because he's an unknown quantity. If he is that guy at Arrowhead this Sunday, you bet I'll eat my plate of crow happily.

But the Foster comparison is a bad one. Foster would have been a draft pick if he hadn't stayed one more year at Tennessee. His last year screwed everything up for him.
ok so you think keenum is overhyped despite the praise from the coaches and players.

you're kubiak, who do you start? a less than healthy schaub? TJ yates? or Keenum?
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #82
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope as much as the next guy Case Keenum is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I don't think he is. I think it's just hometown love hyping up someone people desperately want to be a savior for this franchise just because he's an unknown quantity. If he is that guy at Arrowhead this Sunday, you bet I'll eat my plate of crow happily.

But the Foster comparison is a bad one. Foster would have been a draft pick if he hadn't stayed one more year at Tennessee. His last year screwed everything up for him.
He does not have to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. He just has to be better than MS and TY. That is not a hard thing to do. Anything above that is gravy. Hometown hype?? - I don't think so. That is simply a fact that does not enter the equation. He played for Houston, end of story there. The take away from his college play is that he was a bad azz.

Foster was undrafted. Keenum was undrafted. That is fact. You can't change facts, that is why they are called FACTS. Does not matter why they were undrafted.........they were simply..........you got it, undrafted.
Old 10-17-2013   #83
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Mistakes are killing us. The team we're playing feasts on their opponents mistakes. We need to clean up the mistakes, bottom line. There were a bunch of mistakes in that little time that Tj was in the game. There will be a bunch of mistakes if Keenum starts. There's no way anyone can argue that Tj/Case will not make mistakes.

Schaub played a mistake free game against the Rams.

I know the odds of Schaub playing another mistake free game is slim. But I think it's better than the odds that Tj/Case will make mistakes.

Start Schaub.
Schaub played a mistake free game and put up a whopping 6 points.

You've been brainwashed. You might as well walk around with your hand in kubes pocket on the sideline during games. He sold y'all hook line and sinker with that junk.

Mistakes aren't that bad if you have the ability to make plays. Kubiak has convinced you guys otherwise with his upset stomach face. That's why trindon holiday was cut...because kubiak couldn't unclench. That's why he sticks with Schaub...because he's safe...

That's why Kevin Walter was the number two here for so long. Kubiak has sold you on his ****ty brand of football. So now we have safe guy Matt....that when he does make mistakes has no qualities to help him redeem himself. And Keyshawn Martin...he's so safe. But he doesn't return anything. And so when he fumbles it's a big deal because he doesn't go get it back/never takes it in the first place.

He had y'all thinking that a blocking receiver was a real thing. Lmao.

Starting Matt at any point in the future would be a mistake unless it was out of sheer necessity.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #84
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

You've been brainwashed. You might as well walk around with your hand in kubes pocket on the sideline during games. He sold y'all hook line and sinker with that junk.

Mistakes aren't that bad if you have the ability to make plays. Kubiak has convinced you guys otherwise with his upset stomach face. That's why trindon holiday was cut...because kubiak couldn't unclench. That's why he sticks with Schaub...because he's safe...

That's why Kevin Walter was the number two here for so long. Kubiak has sold you on his ****ty brand of football. So now we have safe guy Matt....that when he does make mistakes has no qualities to help him redeem himself. And Keyshawn Martin...he's so safe. But he doesn't return anything. And so when he fumbles it's a big deal because he doesn't go get it back/never takes it in the first place.

Starting Matt at any point in the future would be a mistake unless it was out of sheer necessity.

Bin freaking go

Bingo.
Old 10-17-2013   #85
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Oh, I'm with you, bro. My cousin, he attended the University of Washington (true story) and they had this QB - a guy by the name of Star or Moon, or something like that. Anyway, this QB was a great college player, but I mean he just didn't get drafted. It just happens that way sometimes. Tough titty. At any rate, my cousin said that QB was playing ball up in Canada, so I guess things worked out for him in the end.

It makes me wonder, though - sometimes I have these crazy thoughts - how come we have all of these 1st, 2nd and 3rd round busts when all of the scouts and experts say this-and-that player is a "can't miss" prospect? It boggles the mind.
Warren Moon is not a good example because of the whole racial thing going on back then. Warren is arguably one of the greatest natural passers to play this game. Back then,the higher ups questioned whether or not black qbs could qb. Look at doug williams.
Old 10-17-2013   #86
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
He does not have to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. He just has to be better than MS and TY. That is not a hard thing to do. Anything above that is gravy. Hometown hype?? - I don't think so. That is simply a fact that does not enter the equation. He played for Houston, end of story there. The take away from his college play is that he was a bad azz.

Foster was undrafted. Keenum was undrafted. That is fact. You can't change facts, that is why they are called FACTS. Does not matter why they were undrafted.........they were simply..........you got it, undrafted.
No, you can't. And you can't change the reasons they were undrafted. Foster had a crappy last season in Tennessee that caused him to fall off the draft board. Did Keenum have a season like that in Houston?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #87
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post
ok so you think keenum is overhyped despite the praise from the coaches and players.

you're kubiak, who do you start? a less than healthy schaub? TJ yates? or Keenum?
No, I think he's overhyped because people on this board take praise from coaches as "he must be amazing." He's obviously talented enough to make the team. Is he going to save this franchise? That remains to be seen.

This is precisely why I want Keenum to start. If he is like everyone on this board thinks he is, this franchise is saved and as a fan, I'm happy. If he isn't, all the noise dies down.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2013   #88
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No, you can't. And you can't change the reasons they were undrafted. Foster had a crappy last season in Tennessee that caused him to fall off the draft board. Did Keenum have a season like that in Houston?

I understand what you're saying. I simply am not concerned with why. My point is that when you are undrafted.........that says to a player, you are not good enough. You basically suck. If not, we would have drafted you.

That can motivate players. Are you doubtful of this potential source of deep motivation from being undrafted in Keenum's case?
Old 10-17-2013   #89
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
It's as common as it is stupid, if you mean setting up 1 yard short of the goal line. That's like running a pattern yard short of the marker on 3rd down. Usually it's the receiver's fault.

Is it really that stupid? Shorter passes should have higher completion rates and most WR/te/rb don't have 0 yac. I'd bet it's not as stupid as you might think
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #90
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Is it really that stupid? Shorter passes should have higher completion rates and most WR/te/rb don't have 0 yac. I'd bet it's not as stupid as you might think
In general, no. Thowing a 3-yd. pattern on 3rd and 11 is asking for too much out of the WR though.

Our best YAC guy is Foster @ 7.27
Then Tate @ 4.85
First WR Martin on a whopping 8 rec. @ 4.75
Then an actual TE Daniels (out) @ 3.58
Graham @ 2.29
Hopkins @ 2.24
then Andre @ 1.88

Link
Old 10-17-2013   #91
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
In general, no. Thowing a 3-yd. pattern on 3rd and 11 is asking for too much out of the WR though.

Then Tate @ 4.85
Graham @ 2.29
Hopkins @ 2.24
then Andre @ 1.88

Link
Yep, team speed appears to be non-important trait for Smith & Kubiak in player acquisition.
Old 10-17-2013   #92
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Then Tate @ 4.85
Graham @ 2.29
Hopkins @ 2.24
then Andre @ 1.88

Link

I wasnt speaking about a single play so thanks for cherry picking 3rd and 11. I would bet however that both tate and foster on average are targeted for the shortest passes out of the group
Old 10-17-2013   #93
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5502 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

i want to believe.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #94
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 26851 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Warren Moon is not a good example because of the whole racial thing going on back then. Warren is arguably one of the greatest natural passers to play this game. Back then,the higher ups questioned whether or not black qbs could qb. Look at doug williams.
I knew this was going to come up. Warren Moon is actually a perfect example, and Doug Williams proves my point. Both QBs entered the 1978 draft with high hopes. Doug Williams was drafted in Rd #1, Moon was not drafted at all. By 1978 the black QBs inability to play had already been laid to rest, and it's Moon who perpetuates the myth that there was something about the color of his skin that didn't get him drafted. What Doug Williams did for black QBs cannot be denied, but the door was already wide open for the black QB in the NFL. It just makes a better story to state otherwise.

Geez, Marlin Briscoe in the late 60s early 70s, James Harris in the early 1970s, Vince Evans was drafted a year before Williams, and my God, Joe Gilliam! That's just off the top of my head.

In fact, the scout's knock on Moon was the same as the knock on Keenum: neither QB played in a pro-style drop back and pass offense.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #95
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't agree that Schaub played mistake free, but he didn't make any huge/glaring mistakes. The point TK is making is that the whole team is making mistakes, we're not losing on Schaub alone. So unless we clean up the mistakes, who our QB will be is irrelevant. Fumbles and penalties are killing us as much as the interceptions are.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #96
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wasnt speaking about a single play so thanks for cherry picking 3rd and 11. I would bet however that both tate and foster on average are targeted for the shortest passes out of the group
I wasn't either, so stuff your cherry-picking comment. You think 3rd an 11 is the only time we throw short? The Texans tend to throw far short of the sticks and the stats from this year show that we aren't going to make many where we need even 3 YAC.

Since you're being purposely obtuse, I'll spell it out for you. The Texans offense relies on underneath routes and performance after the catch. Since we're not getting the YAC, we damn well better start throwing downfiled.

Schaub has excellent stats on designed rollouts / bootlegs, but lousy ones under pressure when "Forced" out of the pocket. So, what was the gameplan for the Rams? Not a single goddamn rollout.
Old 10-17-2013   #97
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Anyone voting to start Schaub, please never ... ever ... watch football again.

Give the kid the ball, start Case.
I voted for Schaub, I guess I need to start looking for a new hobby on Sundays.

I actually don't care who starts on Sunday, as long as it's the person that will give us the best chance to win. The coaching staff has the best idea of who that person will be... but if I had to guess, it would be a healthy Schaub.

The last thing I want to see happen is Kubiak starts Case just to "see what we got". That implies he's given up on the season, which is what I don't want. We can see what we got in Case later in the season, if playoffs are out of the picture, and the games are meaningless.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #98
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I agree with your point in general.

If we were playing someone else mistakes would be a lot lower on my "keys to victory" list. This team, like the Bears when we played them last year, are leading the league in capitalizing on the other teams mistakes. That's why they are 6-0 (in addition to playing nobody).

All I want is a win. I don't care if this game looks like last year's game in Chicago.
Old 10-17-2013   #99
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I wasn't either, so stuff your cherry-picking comment. You think 3rd an 11 is the only time we throw short? The Texans tend to throw far short of the sticks and the stats from this year show that we aren't going to make many where we need even 3 YAC.

Since you're being purposely obtuse, I'll spell it out for you. The Texans offense relies on underneath routes and performance after the catch. Since we're not getting the YAC, we damn well better start throwing downfiled.

Schaub has excellent stats on designed rollouts / bootlegs, but lousy ones under pressure when "Forced" out of the pocket. So, what was the gameplan for the Rams? Not a single goddamn rollout.

3rd and 11 is pretty specific. So if it is 3rd and 5 3rd and 7 and you throw 2-3 yards short you would typically pick up yac. Throwing short of the sticks is not a Texans only practice but keep up with it
Old 10-17-2013   #100
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 24997 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
3rd and 11 is pretty specific. So if it is 3rd and 5 3rd and 7 and you throw 2-3 yards short you would typically pick up yac. Throwing short of the sticks is not a Texans only practice but keep up with it
It's not only a Texans problem, but it is something Schaub struggles with. Our O-line isn't exactly giving our QBs the best protection. In order to complete a long pass, the O-line either needs to give the QB more time, or the QB needs to create that time on his own by scrambling and moving in the pocket. Matt Schaub can't do that, and our O-line can't protect him, so that's why we struggle with 3rd and long situations.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read