Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hi from a Chiefs fan

jetlord

Practice Squad
Just checking in to learn a little about the Texans and the game coming up. I don't talk smack or put anyone down for being a fan of any team.

The Chiefs this year are all defense and very little offense. Many of the points they have scored are a result of good special teams and field position as well as an overwhelming pass rush. The last two games, Titans and Raiders, were the worst offensively of the season. Our O-line is very young and not in sync yet and aside from Bowe, the receivers are below average. Jamal Charles carries most of the offense. Stop him, and you stop the offense. Except for a few plays, the defense has been suffocating.

I'd really appreciate a discription of the Texans, expecially how strong their line play is on both O and D. Everyone knows about Watt, and he should have a field day against our line, but how are the rest in the trenches? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the D-backs? All civil responses are appreciated.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
We are PISSED off your going to get the best of the Texans for 60mins + and with matt prob not starting expect our QB whoever it is to TORCH your Defense

We will treat this game like its the AFC championship there is no tommarow

jaayteetx

All Pro
We are PISSED off your going to get the best of the Texans for 60mins + and with matt prob not starting expect our QB whoever it is to TORCH your Defense

We will treat this game like its the AFC championship there is no tommarow
:wadepalm:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Just checking in to learn a little about the Texans and the game coming up. I don't talk smack or put anyone down for being a fan of any team.
I used to look at next weeks opponents & see how they did this week. If they won, maybe we'll have a chance to beat them. If they lost..... I know they'd be pissed & will most likely kick our butts. If they lost 2 in a row, we don't stand a chance.

I stopped thinking that way after our 10-6 & 12-4 season. I just expected a win.

Now, I feel for the KC Chiefs. We've lost 4 in a row & I feel the Texans finally hit rock bottom. It's gutcheck time.

ST675

Practice Squad
Get ready to meet a statistically good D-line. An Offense that can move the ball but will do nothing in the red zone, as long as the penalties don't keep them from the red zone while depending on a kicker that is useless past 35 yards. A coach that hands you the playbook before that game and 2 of 3 QB's that mirror each other in predictability and lack of movement.

It will be a good game, and beer will be consumed.

The Chiefs this year are all defense and very little offense. Many of the points they have scored are a result of good special teams and field position as well as an overwhelming pass rush. The last two games, Titans and Raiders, were the worst offensively of the season. Our O-line is very young and not in sync yet and aside from Bowe, the receivers are below average. Jamal Charles carries most of the offense. Stop him, and you stop the offense. Except for a few plays, the defense has been suffocating.

I'd really appreciate a discription of the Texans, expecially how strong their line play is on both O and D. Everyone knows about Watt, and he should have a field day against our line, but how are the rest in the trenches? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the D-backs? All civil responses are appreciated.
Just watch the game tape. We do the same thing every week. Oh yea, we choke under pressure too. It should be an easy W for you guys.

Nawzer

Alienz
Welcome to the board. First things first. The Texans suck. Chiefs have nothing to worry about as long Kubiak is the head coach of the Texans. This is the playbook: Running to the right which is something that probably won't work, so he'll run to the left. Now, our running game is good so watch out for that. The pass game is very sophisticated. It involves throwing to AJ on almost every play. The defense is good but usually there'll be big holes right up the middle. I don't think we have a NT on this team so plenty of running lanes for your backs. That's about it really. Oh our special teams will make at least 2 or 3 boneheaded plays a game. So, all in all no worries about the Texans. If I'm the Chiefs coaching staff I think I would spend most of the week playing GTA 5 or go to the movies.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Jetlord, welcome to a depressed and severely pissed off fan base. LOL

As to this game, with the Texans you never know what you will come up against, but rest assured whatever it is, it'll change to something else at halftime. If you guys have a bad oline, the Texans will have a field day in your backfield. All you have to do to counter that is just run up the middle and you'll be fine.

You guys used to be called the Texans many years ago. You should be glad you changed your name. :kitten:

Where the Chiefs play a ball control offense and force a lot of turnovers, we are the exact opposite. Our most effective player to this point is someone a Chiefs fan should be familiar with, Shane Lechler. But don't mistake that as me saying we have good special teams as they are goddawful. Pretty cool watching your team go from garbage to what you are now in just a season. I hope y'all can take the AFC West this year. We are going to lose in Arrowhead, probably going to be shut out.

And to answer the OP, our DBs are terrible, one pick from a DB thus far. No one on defense outside of Watt and Cushing are really worth a crap for the most part.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
The Chiefs this year are all defense and very little offense. Many of the points they have scored are a result of good special teams and field position as well as an overwhelming pass rush.
I think you will be OK against the Texans.

markn

All Pro

Everything you need to know about the Texans:

You'll win.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Honestly, I think we do something stupid like beat KC in Arrowhead. Nothing to base that off of besides the ridiculous unexpectedness of our team.

On paper we look loaded but heart isn't measured on paper. One mistake and we're done for. OL is weak this year. QB is beyond weak. RB and WRs are good. That's about it.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I think this guy trolled the hell out of you guys! Never responded, I mean KC is undefeated, LOL what can he really learn by listening to pissed off fans? It's all there in black and white. Some of your comments might make their way to another site followed by a bunch of laughs. Just sayin' :shrug:

HTown2ATX

TexansMetalhead
Welcome man and congrats to the Chiefs this year. It's insane how a team can seemingly turn it around in 1 year like you guys, the Colts and many others. Unfortunately the Texans front office for the most part is pretty spineless so we'll be spinning our wheels for a while but I digress.....

The O-line has problems protecting Schaub a lot so Chiefs front 7 should get plenty of pressure on whatever QB is put out there. I think most realistic fans that realize the season is probably over already want to see Case Keenum. There are those who simply refuse, much like Kubiak, to see the forest for the trees and believe something magical can still happen should Schaub, Yates or anyone not named Case Keenum get to play. But again I digress.

So, obviously QB is a mess right now and the O line is iffy at best most times. D as a whole is struggling right now and the DB's LOVE to roll out the red carpet with a crucial penalty here and there so don't worry, Alex Smith will have plenty of success if trends continue.

I hope Case Keenum can at least bring the Texans some excitement and hopefully a win against KC unlike watching Schaub 2.0 with Yates should he play. Either way, here's to an injury free game!

HTown2ATX

TexansMetalhead
I think this guy trolled the hell out of you guys! Never responded, I mean KC is undefeated, LOL what can he really learn by listening to pissed off fans? It's all there in black and white. Some of your comments might make their way to another site followed by a bunch of laughs. Just sayin' :shrug:
Unfortunately the Texans play is side splitting laughter enough.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sometimes I go to other team's fanboards to hear good things about my team. I'm sure all the "You're going to slaughter us" posts are pumping up his ego.

jetlord

Practice Squad
Sometimes I go to other team's fanboards to hear good things about my team. I'm sure all the "You're going to slaughter us" posts are pumping up his ego.
Nope, that wasn't my purpose. I've been a Chief season ticket holder for over twenty years and believe me, after last years' 2-14 record, we take nothing for granted. I also understand the frustration you guys are experiencing. I've watched several Texans games last year and saw JJ at his best. With the Chiefs O-line as it is, he scares me to death. Arrowhead has once again become a tough place for visiting teams, but the Chiefs weren't as bad as last year's record nor as good as this years'. BTW, my ego doesn't need pumping. It's already oversized.

jetlord

Practice Squad
Don't understand your response. Like the Chiefs, the Texans don't get the national exposure that the Pats, Giants, Cowboys, etc. get. I honestly wanted to know the strengths and weaknesses of my team's opponent this Sunday. Sorry you took it wrong.

MEGA SWATT

All Pro
Had the wheels not fallen off, the Texans would be well poised to grant KC their first L.

However, realistically 6-0 KC faces 0-6 Texans.

Hello 7-0 KC.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Nope, that wasn't my purpose. I've been a Chief season ticket holder for over twenty years and believe me, after last years' 2-14 record, we take nothing for granted. I also understand the frustration you guys are experiencing. I've watched several Texans games last year and saw JJ at his best. With the Chiefs O-line as it is, he scares me to death. Arrowhead has once again become a tough place for visiting teams, but the Chiefs weren't as bad as last year's record nor as good as this years'. BTW, my ego doesn't need pumping. It's already oversized.
Thanks jetlord for visiting, being respectful, and not talking trash. But to be honest, it wouldn't have mattered, our own fans do enough trash talking of our own team. Feel free to jump into any other thread, talk trash, and you'll get rep'd like crazy.

Obviously, after a 4 game losing streak, and getting demolished at home by a team that's not very good is going to demoralize a fan base. Even though we're only 6 games into the season, two games back in our division, alot of fans are calling it quits on the season, wants to clean house, and start looking toward the future. As for myself, I'm part of the 5% that still believes we can salvage something from this season. So here's an assessment from an optimist.

On offense, I'm part of the 1% that hopes Schaub will be good to go this weekend. I think he gives us our best chance of winning. Our offense is moving the ball pretty well, the problem is we shoot ourselves in the foot too many times. Turnovers is the big glaring weakness, but the penalties have been just as bad. We lead the league in penalty yards, and 2nd to last in turnover margin. So it's no surprise why we're struggling to score. The offense starts with Arian Foster. He's having his usual good season. Despite some costly fumbles, Ben Tate is running the ball well also. Kubiak is sort of old fashion, in the sense that he wants a ball-controlled offense that controls the clock with minimal turnovers (oops!). He'll pass the ball to try to keep the offense balanced and the defense honest. The offense is designed to get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly and try to pick up some YAC. If we want to go deep, we'll usually run a PA bootleg to buy sometime, but we actually haven't seen this too much at all this season. Alot of fans have been wondering why? The recipe to stop this offense has been pretty easy so far this season unfortunately. First, stop the run and force the Texans into obvious passing situations. When in passing downs, blitz Schaub. Our OL's pass pro hasn't been as good as it has before, and our RT just simply isn't very good at this point of his career. Schaub doesn't have the mobility to escape pass rushers, so he'll quickly dump it off to his hot route. This is where alot of the INTs have been occurring. Defense have been recognizing our hot receiver (which is usually the TE) and jumping the routes. The offense is making mistakes that are fixable, that's why I'm still optimistic... but I also believe it will probably take the bye week to repair.

On defense, we're not as good as our #1 ranking suggests. Our offense has been turning over the ball so much, especially pick 6's, that our defense hasn't really had to work all that much. They are still a good defense though, IMO, but they are a bit of a jeckyll and hyde. They either force a 3 & out, or will give up an 80 yard TD drive, usually nothing in the middle. The defense is designed to be highly aggressive to force alot of turnovers, but the turnovers aren't there this season. A big surprise has been how bad our rush defense has been. It seems like if Watt or Cushing doesn't catch the RB in the backfield, then they're going to make a big gain. I'm extremely worried about Jamal Charles... considering that if you don't stop him at the LOS, he could easily go the distance. In passing situations, our defense is pretty predictable... in the sense that we're going to send some kind of blitz and play man coverage. Most likely that blitz will come up the middle from Cushing, or once in a while a safety blitz. If the pass pro can hold up, then there are plays to be made downfield. We have good corners, but they can be beat, and have tendencies to get PI calls. Ed Reed either isn't 100% yet, or simply isn't what he used to be... and with Manning out, Keo will play the other safety spot. That means guys will be open downfield. This is actually the part I'm not too worried about, as Alex isn't a very good deep ball passer. I'm more worried about Alex escaping the pocket and picking up the 1st with his feet. Manning was also our best cover guy on TEs, which means Swearinger or Keo will now do that job. I don't know anything about your TE, but if he's decent, he can have a big game.

As for special teams, this is the area that I'm not optimistic about. We are horrible!!! The only good thing going for them is Shane Lechler, and that our kicker can send kickoffs to the back of the end zone. Our coverage sucks, and our return game sucks. So our best strategy in STs is to kick the ball so that no kind of return is possible, and for us to take all of the touchbacks we can get. Oh, and our kicker sucks... to be fair, he's a young guy that has potential, but he just may not mentally be all there. If it wasn't for the poor QB play this season, he'd probably be the one taking the most heat from fans this season.

So there you go! I hope that helps. Here's to an injury free game... and a Texans Victory!

Scooter

Funky
welcome to the site, as you can see we're a bit down at the moment lol.

our offensive line is hit or miss. duane brown at left tackle is all world, but has been a bit slow this season. left guard wade smith is regressing yearly and pretty bad. center chris myers is undersized but good. brandon brooks is a young monster. right tackle is an absolute void, easily exploited.

d-line is great. you know watt. smith at RDE can get washed out, but has great penetration. earl at nose has been a bit disappointing. depth is solid. the big hole is at linebacker ... cushing is arguably the best in the business, and whitney mercilus at OLB can flash at times as a pass rusher. we have no second ILB, and reed at the other OLB is "just a guy".

cornerbacks IMO are a lot better than some will give them credit for. joseph and kareem are solid, though susceptible to penalty because of coverage styles. slot guy mccain is stupidly fast with his feet, but not his reactions. safety is the hole. ed reed looks 70 years old and manning is out. rookie swearinger is a raw stud, but shilo keo really shouldnt be on the field outside of special teams - slow and clumsy.

Last edited:

HJam72

Hall of Fame
Red Zone. We suck at it. If your offense can reach the Red Zone, you can go ahead and put 7 on the board....unless you want 8, which you will likely get. If you let our offense get into the Red Zone, we will promptly give you the ball, possibly with a 100 yard pick-6.

We are good at 3 things: punting the ball (although I won't vouch for the coverage), running the ball (Foster), and getting numerous members of our front 7 in the backfield. However, all the stunts and a smallish NT lead to holes right up the middle. Along the same lines, we cannot stop anybody in the Red Zone.

We leave our CBs in man coverage a LOT to blitz. K. Jackson is NOT a man coverage guy & should be playing somewhere that he can play a lot of zone, which he is much better at. Jonathon Joseph is also not playing up to the level he has in the past. I think we need to back off and play more zone when passing is expected.

We have a 3rd string QB named Case Keenum that just might be the answer to our prayers, but it would take a miracle to actually see him on the field, kind of like he would've had to play at a Superbowl MVP level to have actually gotten the 2nd string job this year. The reason he didn't win the 2nd string job? Lack of experience. He didn't earn it by throwing 3 picks in a playoff game.

In a nutshell, as a KC fan, you need to worry (although worry is probably too strong a word) about Foster, Tate, Watt, Cushing, Lechler (LOL, MVP of the team) & the O-line's RUN blocking. I'd get a little concerned if I were you and our 3rd string QB somehow got onto the field. He's a sparkplug, but he could very well not be ready (I'll begrudgingly admit). Our QB play has been atrocious for 4 games now. It has brought the team & fans down so far that even Watt had a bad game (no positive stats, anyway) last Sunday.

Frankly, it all just depends on what team shows up in KC, but the Texans are in no position to expect a win there. We also lost Daniel Manning (our best safety, unless Ed Reed is able to find the fountain of youth somewhere) and Owen Daniels (historically, our #2 receiver [TE] & where the best games by our O tend to start) to injuries. That's gotta hurt us too.

jetlord

Practice Squad
Thanks for all (well, most of) the responses, especially Dream Team and Scooter. That's what I was looking for. If anyone cares to learn more about the Chiefs, I'll be glad to offer my unprofessional opinions. Anyone coming to Arrowhead this Sunday is certainly welcome to find a friendly tailgate and hook up. Look for a bunch of folks in Lot N, drinking good beer and wearing red. :)

burro

probably drunk
Welcome, always good to hear from a respectful fan of the opponent.

First things first, if this post is longer than you have time to read. It could be easily summarized with these:

:kubepalm: :wadepalm:

Now, I'll try to be as positive as possible in response to your questions:

O-line - #@$#@@$%%@!!!! It's ugly. Everything to the right of Duane Brown is having problems, particularly Derek Newton at RT. Have you ever gone through a turnstile with one hand, and the lock was broken so you stumbled through it and almost face planted because there was no resistance? That would be the biggest concern for your defensive line.

D-line - Watt is a beast, but it hasn't translated to good defense. Our pass rush has been easily contained and even mediocre RBs have blown past the line and into the secondary with ease. In fairness, a bigger problem may be the LB core. With the exception of Cushing, it's been hideous. Brooks Reed and Whitney Mercilus are not playing up the hype. Unfortunately, only despair awaits you if you look deeper into the depth chart to find a solution to that problem.

DBs - Strengths: Joseph, Manning, and Kareem Jackson are all big play makers in the secondary when they want to be. Weaknesses: None of them seem to want to be. Stupid penalties and 'WTF just happened' galore. This is particularly a problem whenever we have a lead late into the 4th Q and the opposing team has 90 yards to go for the winning TD. Then there is Ed Reed, who was allegedly brought in to mentor and provide leadership. See above to find out how that's been working out.

Other: QB - Matt Schaub is having an off year, to be generous...and Yates...well...it's not good, being equally generous.

RB - Arian Foster can still tear it up, for what it's worth. Unfortunately, he can't run the ball 50 times a game. Though I wouldn't put it past Kubiak to try at this point.

WR - Andre Johnson is still a top 5 WR and DeAndre Hopkins is showing a lot of game. Unfortunately, see "QB" to find out why this is irrelevant at the moment.

TE - Garret Graham has potential, but Owen Daniels has a broken leg. We're essentially effed on this front.

and finally...

Head Coach - I promise you that Gary Kubiak will try the same 5 yard out route to the right 7 times with minimal success with a 50% chance that at least one of them is picked off, 35% it's for a TD. Sprinkled in with that will be plenty quick slants that develop at the speed of smell and doomed from the start off-tackle running plays that Yates will not be allowed to audible out of because Kubiak is too smart for all of that adjusting the play at the line nonsense. Kubiak will make adjustments at the half, such as trying that same out route to the left with no success, benching Arian Foster for sticking his tongue out at him, or squinting harder at this "Denny's menu" (it's the big laminated card that his entire offensive system fits onto).

So there you have, the 2013 Houston Texans in a nutshell. Good luck to you, though there is a slim chance that you'll need it. Welcome again!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Nothing personal, I liked the way you broke it down, but I've got a few differences of opinion.

O-line - #@$#@@$%%@!!!! It's ugly. Everything to the right of Duane Brown is having problems, particularly Derek Newton at RT.
It may have been due to the quality of the opponent, but vs SF & StLouis, the OL hasn't looked bad. If Schaub wasn't trying to be RG3, he wouldn't have taken so many sacks. Derek Newton is far from our best player, but he's not the worst. That would go to Wade Smith. He's taken it a notch above last season, but nowhere near $5M worth.

Chris Long Made Newton work, but Long is pretty stout. Newton won more than he lost... like most OLmen do.

Right now, Meyers is our best OLman. He's not getting tossed like he used to, even taking big DTs on one on one & holding his own. 40 snaps or so against Ngata & Ngata is going to make a play or two, but other than that, Meyers has been solid. Brooks still has consistency issues he's working on, but he's close to being a very good player. Brown is also having consistency issues. He's probably our 2nd best OL right now, but Brooks isn't too far behind. I think the big guy... err, the bigger guy is still getting over his knee thing. So that puts Newton as a solid 4. Ryan Harris looks good too. They've got their heart set on Newton at RT but I think Harris can start for a lot of teams. He's a worker, lots of effort, don't quit. Ben Jones has consistency issues as well, but I think even he is playing better than Wade Smith. If I were King, Wade wouldn't be starting. I'd seriously consider Ben Jones playing there, but... Ryan Harris might be the better option & he deserves to be playing.

D-line - Whitney Mercilus are not playing up the hype.
Mercilus is having a quietly good season. He's advancing as a player very well. He's not Demarcus Ware... he's not Clay Matthews... he's not Von Miller... so in that respect I can see how some are disappointed. But he's going to be a very good player.

KC is a ZBS team. I think we'll stop the run better against a zone team.

DBs - Strengths: Joseph, Manning, and Kareem Jackson are all big play makers in the secondary when they want to be. Weaknesses: None of them seem to want to be.
Haha, very good... but Kj is not a big play guy. Never will be. He's a quite cover guy.... almost no threat whatsoever of intercepting the ball. Danieal Manning is...... but he's out. Jjo is.... but he's not playing like it. Ed Reed is, well he was 10 years ago.

I like Alex Smith, but he's not the kind of guy who can throw that perfect ball to beat pretty good coverage. So don't look for Bowe to have a breakout game unless he plays out of the slot. Bowe's a mismatch on McCain..... Avery's a mismatch on McCain.... I'm a mismatch on McCain, you're a mismatch on McCain.

Other: QB - Matt Schaub is having an off year, to be generous...and Yates...well...it's not good, being equally generous.
Schaub is Schaub. He's trying to be someone he's not, which I think is the root of all our problems. He's thinking too much, he's forcing too much, he needs to just play. I think we've already answered the question about our QB of the future, we can take care of that crap in the offseason, but if we don't get to & show well in the post-season, none of these suckers are going to be trying to solve that problem, the new regime will. So these jokers need to get their sht straight & start winning frk'n games.

RB - Arian Foster can still tear it up, for what it's worth. Unfortunately, he can't run the ball 50 times a game. Though I wouldn't put it past Kubiak to try at this point.
He doesn't have that big play ability like Charles, but he'll wear your butt out between the 20s. He's not getting carries in the red zone because our QB is going through a midlife crisis & thinks he's JohnElway.

If Arian's in the game, stay honest, maintain your lanes, & watch that backside cut. If Tate's in the game, shoot the front side of the play.

WR - Andre Johnson is still a top 5 WR and DeAndre Hopkins is showing a lot of game. Unfortunately, see "QB" to find out why this is irrelevant at the moment.

TE - Garret Graham has potential, but Owen Daniels has a broken leg. We're essentially effed on this front.
Nothing to add.

and finally...

Head Coach - I promise you that Gary Kubiak will try the same 5 yard out route to the right 7 times with minimal success with a 50% chance that at least one of them is picked off, 35% it's for a TD. Sprinkled in with that will be plenty quick slants that develop at the speed of smell and doomed from the start off-tackle running plays that Yates will not be allowed to audible out of because Kubiak is too smart for all of that adjusting the play at the line nonsense. Kubiak will make adjustments at the half, such as trying that same out route to the left with no success, benching Arian Foster for sticking his tongue out at him, or squinting harder at this "Denny's menu" (it's the big laminated card that his entire offensive system fits onto).
Should probably revisit the QB section. Kubiak's plays will generally have deep routes, intermediate routes, the short routes, & the check down. Put a safety about 15-20 yards deep put a LB 10 yards deep & you won't have to worry about the deep & intermediate stuff, unless you're bored.

Borowicz50

Stillwater, OK
Does nobody else realize that if by some miracle we win against the Chiefs (& I will go ahead & assume Denver beats the Colts) then when both the Texans & Colts play each other after their bye weeks it will be for the division lead? Seriously weirder things have happened. I personally think that our season will be defined by the next two games.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Does nobody else realize that if by some miracle we win against the Chiefs (& I will go ahead & assume Denver beats the Colts) then when both the Texans & Colts play each other after their bye weeks it will be for the division lead? Seriously weirder things have happened. I personally think that our season will be defined by the next two games.
Anything is possible. Hell, the Texans could win the super bowl this year. But unless we fall into an alternate universe Kubiak is still the head coach which gives me little faith the Texans will do anything of value, other than look good on paper and the stats column.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Congrats on the great year the Chiefs and you Chiefs fans are having in KC !
As for the Texans, have no idea when we'll get our mojo back ? Very unlikely it happens this weekend against your team, but maybe not until the organization makes massive changes as the Chiefs did this past season and brings in a new regime to turn them around.
And good luck (both times) against Manning and the Broncos when you play them later this year !

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
I had to rep you for honesty. Basing a Texans division run at this point on "miracles and weird things" is more reasonable than basing it on good coaching, great players, and an effective system.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
You forgot to mention the Titans. They'll have to lose to the 49ers this Sunday as well.

Even if we lose to KC this weekend, and the Titans and Colts lose as well, we still control our own destiny. My guess is we turn things around after the bye week.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
I used to look at next weeks opponents & see how they did this week. If they won, maybe we'll have a chance to beat them. If they lost..... I know they'd be pissed & will most likely kick our butts. If they lost 2 in a row, we don't stand a chance.

I stopped thinking that way after our 10-6 & 12-4 season. I just expected a win.

Now, I feel for the KC Chiefs. We've lost 4 in a row & I feel the Texans finally hit rock bottom. It's gutcheck time.
Except we're a gutless team...

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Anything is possible. Hell, the Texans could win the super bowl this year. But unless we fall into an alternate universe Kubiak is still the head coach which gives me little faith the Texans will do anything of value, other than look good on paper and the stats column.
Tom Coughlin gets a pass on a lot of the silly things he does, the organization gets a pass on a lot of the things they do, because they've won 2 Super Bowls.

Mike McCarthy gets a pass, because he's won a Super Bowl.

Tony Dungy gets a pass, because he won a Super Bowl.

If Gary Kubiak were to win a Super Bowl, would that change your opinion of him & the way you'd criticize him going forward?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Tom Coughlin gets a pass on a lot of the silly things he does, the organization gets a pass on a lot of the things they do, because they've won 2 Super Bowls.

Mike McCarthy gets a pass, because he's won a Super Bowl.

Tony Dungy gets a pass, because he won a Super Bowl.

If Gary Kubiak were to win a Super Bowl, would that change your opinion of him & the way you'd criticize him going forward?
Until he wins a super bowl, it's kind of hard to speculate. Right now my answer is no. If Kubiak wins a super bowl maybe the answer would change, or maybe I'd think there is a reason other than Kubiak that his team won a super bowl.

I honestly can't answer something like that, other than to say my opinion of him is very negative and that will color my answers on questions like this.

burro

probably drunk
It may have been due to the quality of the opponent, but vs SF & StLouis, the OL hasn't looked bad. If Schaub wasn't trying to be RG3, he wouldn't have taken so many sacks. Derek Newton is far from our best player, but he's not the worst. That would go to Wade Smith. He's taken it a notch above last season, but nowhere near $5M worth.

Chris Long Made Newton work, but Long is pretty stout. Newton won more than he lost... like most OLmen do.

Right now, Meyers is our best OLman. He's not getting tossed like he used to, even taking big DTs on one on one & holding his own. 40 snaps or so against Ngata & Ngata is going to make a play or two, but other than that, Meyers has been solid. Brooks still has consistency issues he's working on, but he's close to being a very good player. Brown is also having consistency issues. He's probably our 2nd best OL right now, but Brooks isn't too far behind. I think the big guy... err, the bigger guy is still getting over his knee thing. So that puts Newton as a solid 4. Ryan Harris looks good too. They've got their heart set on Newton at RT but I think Harris can start for a lot of teams. He's a worker, lots of effort, don't quit. Ben Jones has consistency issues as well, but I think even he is playing better than Wade Smith. If I were King, Wade wouldn't be starting. I'd seriously consider Ben Jones playing there, but... Ryan Harris might be the better option & he deserves to be playing.
I agree on Chris Myers, Ryan Harris, and Wade Smith- but I'm wondering what film you've been watching on Derek Newton. For starters, he's been called for 7 penalties in 5 games. He's also been called for penalties on 3rd down 3 times this season, include once last week on a 3rd and 4 on the STL 4 yard line. That is just unacceptable, and vaguely reminiscent of Chester Pitts.

Furthermore, 5 of those penalties are for holding - indicating that he is having a hard time containing his blocking assignment on a regular basis.

Overall, the Texans OL has given up 17 sacks, 41 QB hits, and 28 tackles for a loss. While some of that is on Schaub's less than fancy footwork, most of it is on the o-line and a big part of that is on Newton.

Mercilus is having a quietly good season. He's advancing as a player very well. He's not Demarcus Ware... he's not Clay Matthews... he's not Von Miller... so in that respect I can see how some are disappointed. But he's going to be a very good player.

KC is a ZBS team. I think we'll stop the run better against a zone team.
For every good play he's made, he's taken a bad angle on a tackle and given up a big run or been caught out of position by a TE for effortless yards. In general, our coverage of TE's has been lacking and it starts with our LB corp.

Haha, very good... but Kj is not a big play guy. Never will be. He's a quite cover guy.... almost no threat whatsoever of intercepting the ball. Danieal Manning is...... but he's out. Jjo is.... but he's not playing like it. Ed Reed is, well he was 10 years ago.

I like Alex Smith, but he's not the kind of guy who can throw that perfect ball to beat pretty good coverage. So don't look for Bowe to have a breakout game unless he plays out of the slot. Bowe's a mismatch on McCain..... Avery's a mismatch on McCain.... I'm a mismatch on McCain, you're a mismatch on McCain.
A good DB is the one who can get vertical and battle to not give up the big catch...at least some of the time. Both JJo and KJ have been subpar in this category thus far.

That and the boneheaded penalties (some questionable ones, granted).

I agree on Alex Smith though. If our defense gets shredded, it will most likely be on the ground.

Schaub is Schaub. He's trying to be someone he's not, which I think is the root of all our problems. He's thinking too much, he's forcing too much, he needs to just play. I think we've already answered the question about our QB of the future, we can take care of that crap in the offseason, but if we don't get to & show well in the post-season, none of these suckers are going to be trying to solve that problem, the new regime will. So these jokers need to get their sht straight & start winning frk'n games.
I agree in a sense, but the big question mark now is Schaub's mental constitution. We've never seen Schaub fall into a prolonged slump which was being exacerbated by media pressure and a portion of the fan base literally wishing physical harm on him. To be cheesy about it, Schaub may not have the heart to get back on track - which doesn't bode well for our playoff chances.

He doesn't have that big play ability like Charles, but he'll wear your butt out between the 20s. He's not getting carries in the red zone because our QB is going through a midlife crisis & thinks he's JohnElway.

If Arian's in the game, stay honest, maintain your lanes, & watch that backside cut. If Tate's in the game, shoot the front side of the play.
He's not getting carries in the red zone because Kubiak doesn't call it that way - why he doesn't call it that way. Though, ragging on Kubiak's play calling is beating a dead horse at this point.

Should probably revisit the QB section. Kubiak's plays will generally have deep routes, intermediate routes, the short routes, & the check down. Put a safety about 15-20 yards deep put a LB 10 yards deep & you won't have to worry about the deep & intermediate stuff, unless you're bored.
If anyone knows Schaub's strengths/weaknesses, it's Kubiak. If he insists on calling plays that Schaub can't execute over and over and over again, he's either stubborn or incompetent (most likely the former, to be fair).

Lambert

Waterboy
Hey Chiefs, you guys are going to kick our struggling butts. Relax, throw a bunch of new plays in, maybe start the seconds. Good luck.