Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-13-2013   #61
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Kubes is fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
How about Tom Clements. He is the o-coordinator for the Packers. As a QB coach he helped make Elvis Grbec, tommy Maddox, and Kordell Stewart each become a pro bowler. Each of these QBs were very different types of QBs as well. He helped Brett Favre have his best season, has developed Aaron Rogers, and even helped Matt Flynn look like a million bucks.

He could help develop the new Texans QB and help mold the team into a high powered offense, prolific offense.

Hands off Clements.

I want him for the next IRISH coach as soon as the Brian Kelly experiment is over.

My teams are cursed with noodle armed statues for qb.

Old 10-13-2013   #62
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Whether we promote Wade or get someone else as head coach, my main concern is switching the offense to a system that doesn't fit our players, but that seems obvious.

If we end up cleaning house, I'd love to see us get Lovie Smith; very solid defenses throughout his tenure, just got paired with a terrible GM in Angelo. Guys like Del Rio or Coughlin would make me consider my fandom.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #63
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaubApologist View Post
what makes gruden so desirable?

gruden got canned from tampa. he won a superbowl with dungy's team.

gruden runs the same crap offense kubiak does.

NO THANKS
Gruden can light a fire in people's asses and for players who don't respond to screaming he can get personal with them and offer encouragement. What makes him different than Kubiak?

He shows emotion and gets fired up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
No no no. Laugh all you want but I believe Gruden salivates at the thought of coaching this team and it would draw him out.

Lovie Smith is a consideration considering his track record and the fact that they fielded solid defenses. Don't know what would happen to our 3-4 through.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #64
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love me some chucky or Cower but I doubt it will happen
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #65
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Gruden can light a fire in people's asses and for players who don't respond to screaming he can get personal with them and offer encouragement. What makes him different than Kubiak?

He shows emotion and gets fired up.

Lovie Smith is a consideration considering his track record and the fact that they fielded solid defenses. Don't know what would happen to our 3-4 through.
Guys, enough with this Gruden nonsense. The guy is a fraud, and players hate him because he is a phony. Tampa fired him after the owners did a little research into the team, and talked to players about Gruden. The players - who has been fed up with their a-hole phony of a coach - dogged him to the owners. Look it up.

All of the scary faces and whatnot means nothing. He's a phony, and his emotions aren't even real. He has a reputation for tossing his players under the bus behind their backs. Why do you think he hasn't been re-hired?

Gruden is non-starter.

I'm really liking the Lovie Smith suggestions, though...
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #66
PockyAF
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3089 PockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I would love me some chucky or Cower but I doubt it will happen
#Suck4Chuck
PockyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If we're going to get a new head coach, I want someone with special teams experience.
Old 10-14-2013   #68
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 112365 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want gruden. He's just a hokey caricature. I'd like to see cowher or even lovie smith of the experienced nfl hc's. if a promising college coach was available I'd be cool with that too.
Old 10-14-2013   #69
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

My top 3 right now,

Greg Roman - OC, San Francisco 49ers

Bill O'Brien - HC, Penn State University (previously the New England OC)

Bill Cowher - TV analyst, former Pittsburgh Steelers HC

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #70
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the Bill O Brien idea^^. Forgot about him.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #71
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no idea why some of you think Wade should be immune if the Texans go through a coaching change? Some of you even want to promote him to HC!?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #72
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Zimmer is a badass and would bring an 'edge' to this team. As long as he brought a good OC, I'd love Zim. He'd bring it. None of this 'woe is me' stuff.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #73
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 4237 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
I vote for Sumlin and Keenum.....revive the Run & Shoot!!!

I would run through the streets naked!

at my own comment about running through the streets lol!
I'd say why not? All of the teams have already figured out the system that we currently have. It has become so predictable that the Texans can't even throw TD passes with any QB to beat average teams at home. It has done the city of Houston no better than the R&S has.
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #74
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What about josh mcdaniels?

Had a rough time of it in Denver, lost his QB right away and got stuck with a media aboration at QB between Orton and Tebow.

I think you look at the team he built and it all looks pretty good. Can see this team netting a top 12 pick to work out a solution at QB, keep the D stable under Wade because the talent isn't too bad, get a decent right tackle and a modern scheme and were back on track.

I also think mcdaniels will have learnt from his previous tenure as HC and that will stand him in good stead for the future.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #75
YeaLikeRightNow
Veteran

Rep Power: 650 YeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
If Gary's tenure as Texans HC ends this season, who are the possible replacements, and who would you want as new HC?
The Texans should go for Kyle Shanahan...he's used to work for us and has a very good offense concept.

Go ahead and bring Kirk Cousins to QB.

Our solutions reside in D.C.!
YeaLikeRightNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #76
AMartin56
Veteran

Rep Power: 2934 AMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Whether we promote Wade or get someone else as head coach, my main concern is switching the offense to a system that doesn't fit our players, but that seems obvious.

If we end up cleaning house, I'd love to see us get Lovie Smith; very solid defenses throughout his tenure, just got paired with a terrible GM in Angelo. Guys like Del Rio or Coughlin would make me consider my fandom.
Frankly our system sucks IMO and I'd rather we have an offensive mind that can get the best out of what he has rather then spend 8 years searching for a roster that fits his system and never getting it right.

I'm not a Jacoby Jones fan but I think it's fairly obvious that the Ravens simplified things for a guy who is average in the intellect department at best...but we could never figure out that it was best to just point him in a direction and tell him to run fast (a bit like Forrest Gump come to think of it).
AMartin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #77
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sold on Sumlin. He might be a great coach but imo, he's ridden other coaches recruits. Until we see what he can do without Keenum/Manziel I'd pass. Art Briles would be my pick if it's a collegiate coach. If not, I have no clue.
Old 10-14-2013   #78
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

You name any and everybody you want to coach this team...

Knowing how Bob McNair works and watching him the last 10+ years, the next head coach is residing as this teams current DC.

No freaking way Bob McNair is not going to hire Bum's son in hopes of Wade Phillips taking this team to a Super Bowl. He has hung onto this fairly tale of the local boy who was a ball boy for the Oilers turned HC to take this team to the promise land, but that fairy tale is just that.

Now the chance for Bum's son to take over the reigns, it will be another 5 years of mediocrity and sadness until Bob McNair pulls his head out of his over-loyal ass and learns how a football team is ran....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #79
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
Gruden is not top on my list either. He's been out for too long and he never really built a team that he won with.

I'd rather see a defensive minded coach who brings in a good OC.

I think the other option is to start with a GM.
In today's NFL I don't know if I want a defensive minded coach. The coach needs to understand that games are won by putting more points on the board than the other team. The only time a D is going to come into play is outdoors in the winter when the passing games are hindered.

The days of smashmouth D, run the ball down their throats O are gone. You need an open offense and most defensive minded coaches (Cowher, Smith, Ryan, Capers) want to run first. They operate under the old beliefs that to win you have to run and stop the run.

It's 2013. It's a new game. Find someone that can open up this offense. We have some talented players on offense. Our RB has wonderful hands and could be a threat if he wasn't just a safety valve. We have 2 TEs with good hands. We have the best receiver of this generation that our HC has never utilized in the red zone. We have a rookie WR that looks like he could be a #1. We should be averaging 35 points a game with these guys. We just need a truly offensive minded HC that will take the training wheels off.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #80
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Can I assume we're talking about the eventual replacement for Wade Phillips here? I mean, really I'm pretty sure Wade is the Head-Coach-in-Waiting here. Like it or not we're probably going to have to sit through a couple of years of Wade giving it one more shot before we get another shot at a legitimate HC.
Never got that sense. Wade has proven to be if anything softer as a head coach than Kubiak with about the same sort of pretty good non-great success. Really no reason to have a 70 year old version of what you already have.

Not convinced that Kubiak is in as much trouble as he should be anyway.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read