Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Which coach would you trade Gary for?
Jon Gruden 7 12.96%
Kevin Sumlin 12 22.22%
Bill Cowher 31 57.41%
Nick Saban 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2013   #21
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gary Kubiak Trade

So, discounting otherwise working NFL head coachs, who would yall want instead of Kubiak? How many are available that are actually better than Kubiak?

While I intensely dislike him, it is very easy to see how much worse we can do than him.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #22
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Come On Breh View Post
lol wut?

there are coaches out there with superbowl rings.
So? Kubiak has several himself. Doesn't make him a good head coach though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #23
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Sumlin, that is what is hot in the NFL, an open offense...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #24
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Sumlin, that is what is hot in the NFL, an open offense...
Going to ask again...why Sumlin and not Art Briles?
Old 10-10-2013   #25
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
were going to college at his alma mater in Raleigh, NC.

Anyway, just curious to thoughts on the subject as it's something I hear from time to time.. Cowher won't coach again.
I saw Cowher at a bar/restaurant a few weeks ago across from where I work in Raleigh. If I see him again I'll ask if he'd consider it.

Joking about asking. Kinda...
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #26
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Pro wise, I really like what's going on in Denver. I know a lot of that is Peyton Manning, but from top to bottom they're getting it done on offense. Everyone is on the same page & they're running like a well oiled machine. Missing their LT & Center, spreading the ball around very well, & Knoeshawn (sp) Moreno almost looks lilke a RB. I'd like to at least sit down with McCoy, pick his brain & find out how involved he is in what's going on there.
If you're thinking Mike McCoy he isn't their coordinator anymore. He's the head coach of the Chargers and doing one hell of a job with Rivers despite the lack of receivers there. Adam Gase is now the Broncos coordinator though I think it may be safe to say Peyton Manning is the coordinator, heh.

What do folks think of someone like Brian Billick who has made it known he'd like to coach again. He was an offensive coach before being overly reliant on defense in Baltimore.

Last I heard Cowher keeps the door open to returning to coaching but doesn't seem that anxious to leap back into the fray. Probably have to be a situation he really couldn't pass up. Not sure on Gruden.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #27
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Good question. As it is I think the Longhorns should go after Briles if they can convince to step away from Baylor. Only guess I have on Sumlin is folks are thinking he proved himself against the best conference in college football and at a bigger institution. But I see no reason if Sumlin is on anyone's mind why Briles wouldn't be. He's brought Baylor back from 'Baylor who?' and got U of H going again.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2013   #28
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Beeeecause he wasn't one of the choices?

Hell I would take either one. Both run the same system...

I want a QB that can move, doesn't need to be fast, and can throw the ball around the yard a bit in an exciting offense...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #29
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Beeeecause he wasn't one of the choices?

Hell I would take either one. Both run the same system...

I want a QB that can move, doesn't need to be fast, and can throw the ball around the yard a bit in an exciting offense...
That wasn't directed at you. I'm curious why Sumlin is touted as this amazing coach. He took over a successful UH program from Briles and maintained it. He took over A&M and was successful with a Heisman winning QB he didn't even recruit.

Briles has at least had success with a few different QBs.
Old 10-10-2013   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Come On Breh View Post
lol wut?

there are coaches out there with superbowl rings.
That is not a selling point. I believe it is less likely that a Super Bowl winning coach will take this team to the Super Bowl. The odds are against it. I think it might have happened once or twice in the history of the NFL, if that often.

We're better off looking for a new headcoach candidate, like a college coach, Jim Harbaough, Pagano, & Kelly... or an innovative offensive mind like little Shanny or Payton.
Old 10-10-2013   #31
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak's value is probably at rock bottom now; you can only cut him, not traded.

At this moment, I would take any among those four mentioned.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
If you're thinking Mike McCoy he isn't their coordinator anymore. He's the head coach of the Chargers and doing one hell of a job with Rivers despite the lack of receivers there. Adam Gase is now the Broncos coordinator though I think it may be safe to say Peyton Manning is the coordinator, heh.
Damn on missing McCoy. Looking good so far in San Diego. As far as Manning being the coordinator, like I said I'm sure he's a big part of it. But there are a lot of things going right over there. I'd bring Gase in & see how much of that is him & how much is Peyton. If he's got them all on Peyton's page, I'm good with that.

Depending on who else I bring in, he'd still be in the running.

Quote:
What do folks think of someone like Brian Billick who has made it known he'd like to coach again. He was an offensive coach before being overly reliant on defense in Baltimore.
I'm not totally against Billick. Again, I'd have to sit down & pick his brain about why he was fired in Baltimore, what he would do different, & why he think's he'll break the odds & win a Super Bowl with another team.

Quote:
Last I heard Cowher keeps the door open to returning to coaching but doesn't seem that anxious to leap back into the fray. Probably have to be a situation he really couldn't pass up. Not sure on Gruden.
If I'm not bringing in Dick Lebeau & Ben Roethlisberger, I'm not interested in Bill Cowher. Remember Slash? That was Cowher left to his own devices.
Old 10-10-2013   #33
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher and it's not close.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #34
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
That's the reason I'd want Cowher. I kind of question whether he'd be that into coaching again just like you do with Gruden. I think any of these guys could have had a coaching job over the last few years if they'd wanted it and if they really had wanted to do it then they'd be coaching right now.

Having said that and assuming the former NFL coaches on this poll would be ready to jump in and commit to the franchise completely I think it's got to be Cowher (in this particular fantasy world). That blue collar persona you mention and the work ethic that goes along with it is, I believe what McNair loves about Kubiak. Kubiak also gives off that "just keep on working harder" kind of vibe but Cowher actually is what Bob thinks he's already got with Gary.

As so many have already said though it's gonna be Wade. When Bob hired Wade I am certain that there was an unspoken tacit agreement that Wade would be in "pole position" should Gary be fired. He's the HC in waiting and we're either going to get him or stumble along for another 5 years with Kubiak. Not sure which fate is worse
Would you be comfortable with Cowher running the personnel side?

Back when he was fresh out of the league, word was that his taking a job would be contingent on control over personnel.

That would be my only concern with Cowher.
Old 10-10-2013   #35
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67402 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I don't know that Wade being "toast" is necessarily a given in that scenario.
I dunno, I just don't see two big defensive egos working together. Maybe, but I don't buy it.

Someone mentioned Billick, and I liked him in Baltimore. I would definitely be interested yes.
Old 10-10-2013   #36
awc713
Rookie

Rep Power: 248 awc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respected

ive always like cower, and have never really been a fan of kubiak..

that being said, if anyone gets the HC position after kubiak...i think it'll be ed wade
awc713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #37
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by awc713 View Post
ive always like cower, and have never really been a fan of kubiak..

that being said, if anyone gets the HC position after kubiak...i think it'll be ed wade
Ed Wade? Hehe
Old 10-10-2013   #38
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That is not a selling point. I believe it is less likely that a Super Bowl winning coach will take this team to the Super Bowl. The odds are against it. I think it might have happened once or twice in the history of the NFL, if that often.
The answer is none.
Old 10-10-2013   #39
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The answer is none.
Bill Parcells ring a bell?

Won one and then made it back with another team was the question.
Old 10-10-2013   #40
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Bill Parcells ring a bell?

Won one and then made it back with another team was the question.
Oops. I thought he said won with another team. No coach has done that.

For been with two different teams and won at least 1 it is - Don Shula, Bill Parcells, Dick Vermeil, and Mike Holmgren.

Dan Reeves got there 4 times with 2 teams with no wins.

That's everyone who has even appeared in the Super Bowl with 2 teams I think.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read