Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rate these quarterbacks

Rank these quarterbacks from best to worst.

• Blaine Gabbert, Steven McGee, Matt Schaub

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steven McGee, Matt Schaub, Blaine Gabbert

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Say what you will but Gabbert and McGee put together have never thrown for 4000+ yards in a season so lumping Schaub with those types may be going too far. Schaub to me is in the Jay Cutler/Philip Rivers tier.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Say what you will but Gabbert and McGee put together have never thrown for 4000+ yards in a season so lumping Schaub with those types may be going too far. Schaub to me is in the Jay Cutler/Philip Rivers tier.
Uuumm yeah, like 3 years ago you could say that. But as of now, only a delusional blind person wouldn't lump Schaub with those guys. Just look at Schaub's numbers from the last 4 games of last season up until now. His numbers are horrible, his mobility is worse then all of them, and he has the record for throwing TD's to the other team.

Trying to compare Schaub to Rivers and Cutler at this current time is laughable.

Rey

I don't even like Schaub as a qb, but gabbert and what's his face are not on matts level.

eriadoc

Texan-American
Gabbert has a QBR of 36 on the season. As bad as Schaub has been, he has a 76.9 QBR (which is bad). QBs that have a better rating than Schaub include Sam Bradford, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Brian Hoyer, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, Terrelle Pryor, and Jake Locker. Put a few of those in the poll and it'd be an interesting choice.

Sigma

Veteran
I voted S>G>M

but if you think Schaub is bad for the texans then you should vote him #3

G>M>S

Gabbert is easy the best:
1- he is crap
2- he is in our division

McGee just doesn't matter, so it's not good nor bad (#2)

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
Uuumm yeah, like 3 years ago you could say that. But as of now, only a delusional blind person wouldn't lump Schaub with those guys. Just look at Schaub's numbers from the last 4 games of last season up until now. His numbers are horrible, his mobility is worse then all of them, and he has the record for throwing TD's to the other team.

Trying to compare Schaub to Rivers and Cutler at this current time is laughable.
Yup

Uncle Rico

I'm using an overall body of work to make my assessment, not the "what have you done for me lately" frame of thought.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I'm using an overall body of work to make my assessment, not the "what have you done for me lately" frame of thought.
I agree. Cutler & Rivers have both went through patches in their career. They have both gotten boo'd and fans wanted them out. But their teams stuck with them and both are currently having good seasons.

deucetx

Rookie
I agree. Cutler & Rivers have both went through patches in their career. They have both gotten boo'd and fans wanted them out. But their teams stuck with them and both are currently having good seasons.
Not a great example. For one, jury still out on Cutler. There's a reason they didn't go to the negotiation table on his contract yet. But in any case, these teams waited over the period of 1-2 seasons for these guys to 'turn it around'. They are younger where as Schaub is in his 30's already, been in this system for quite some time and has a load of talent around him. Schaub already had the benefit of a team being built around him unlike those two. It already has been built around him. He now needs to step up and do something with that team.

What Schaub did in the past is nice and all but what matters is what he can and will do right now. Unless your name is Peyton Manning you don't generally become leaps and bounds better as you age in this league. He needs to step his game up right now.

And the comparison is a stretch for this poll. Gabbert can't even complete 50% of his passes and McGee isn't even in the league. Schaub is playing piss poor but he hasn't came close to dropping to their level.

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

Everyone last year said Rivers was done, seems to me like. He's had a pretty good year thus far.

Like it or not Schaub will be the QB next year also, no way Bobby Mac is going to lose 20 M's (or whatever the cap hit/dead money is) to appease the fans.

If a change gets made we either A) tank or B) trade Arian Foster for a 1st rounder or on draft day to get a top prospect and even then Schaub would start until the kid would be ready. Not sure the HWWNBN trial by fire method would go over well with a shoddy line.

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
They are younger where as Schaub is in his 30's ...
Cutler is 30 and Rivers is about to turn 32.

ELike it or not Schaub will be the QB next year also, no way Bobby Mac is going to lose 20 M's (or whatever the cap hit/dead money is) to appease the fans.
There is no new money in cutting Schaub. The only issue is in accounting for money already spent. Now if he stays there will be new money paid out to the tune of $11 mil.

kingtexan

All Pro
Like it or not Schaub will be the QB next year also, no way Bobby Mac is going to lose 20 M's (or whatever the cap hit/dead money is) to appease the fans.
Loses more than that in tickets, concessions, and merchandise by putting crap on the field.

Uncle Rico

Cutler is 30 and Rivers is about to turn 32.

There is no new money in cutting Schaub. The only issue is in accounting for money already spent. Now if he stays there will be new money paid out to the tune of $11 mil.
So 11M if he stays as QB next year. What is the dead money if he's cut this year or in the off-season, admittedly I know very little when it comes to cap management, only that nobody likes to give away money. I hated the extension they have him for the scenario that is being played out currently.

Piss,moan and boycott all you guys want Reliant will stay full, no way in hell will this city play chicken with an owner and have the franchise leave town in the middle of the night again.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Not a great example. For one, jury still out on Cutler. There's a reason they didn't go to the negotiation table on his contract yet. But in any case, these teams waited over the period of 1-2 seasons for these guys to 'turn it around'. They are younger where as Schaub is in his 30's already, been in this system for quite some time and has a load of talent around him. Schaub already had the benefit of a team being built around him unlike those two. It already has been built around him. He now needs to step up and do something with that team.
Rivers & Schaub were in the same draft. They're practically the same age. Jay Cutler was drafted two years later. Both guys came into the league as starters, Cutler had two franchises built around him & Rivers has had at least two teams built around him, the last two/three years has been a rebuilding process for them more or less. They've been losing a lot of talent on both sides of the ball & not really doing a good job of replacing it.

What Schaub did in the past is nice and all but what matters is what he can and will do right now. Unless your name is Peyton Manning you don't generally become leaps and bounds better as you age in this league. He needs to step his game up right now.
My personal opinion is that for the last 5 games, Matt has been trying to come out of that conservative shell that we don't like. I think there are two ways to go from here.
  1. Schaub can push forward & continue to try to make plays & the rest of the team step up. This means he continues to push his comfort level & take more chances. He'll continue to make mistakes, there will be more INTs to come, most likely some pick 6es.

I know at one time we said we were ok with that. With a dominant run game, a dominant defense, & a bad ass punter, we should be able to overcome mistakes made by an aggressive offense.
  2. Schaub goes back to his old ways & the rest of the team step up. Very unpopular opinion, but Schaub played his average game against the Patriots in the divisional round. Foster (the OL) & the defense didn't step up the way we needed them to.

Schaub is definitely an anchor, slowing us down.... but not so much that he's holding us back. Well, if he remains as mistake prone as he's been this year he'll be holding us back if the defense doesn't stop allowing 70+ yard TD scoring drives & the run game can't keep us out of 3rd & long (penalties got us against SF moreso than the run game). But I'm blindly hoping he cuts way back on the turn overs.

Pleas don't think I'm absolving Schaub of any mistakes, blame, or responsibility. I've given up on him being better than he is. Realistically if the rest of the team does not step up, we don't have a chance. Schaub is Schaub. "Fixing" Schaub isn't going to get us "Peyton Manning" it's going to get us regular season Joe Flacco.

deucetx

Rookie
Rivers & Schaub were in the same draft. They're practically the same age. Jay Cutler was drafted two years later. Both guys came into the league as starters, Cutler had two franchises built around him & Rivers has had at least two teams built around him, the last two/three years has been a rebuilding process for them more or less. They've been losing a lot of talent on both sides of the ball & not really doing a good job of replacing it.
My point was more about the teams/situations than age. Both are on teams that were/are rebuilding offensively where as Schaub has already been here several years and had the team built around him. We got the receivers, backs and...sort of an offensive line (think we screwed the pooch here). Well, Cutler actually has the offense around him now so more comparable. He has little to no excuse and will be gone if he doesn't keep up the progress. So he's in a make it or break it situation and hasn't earned anything still to this point.

My personal opinion is that for the last 5 games, Matt has been trying to come out of that conservative shell that we don't like. I think there are two ways to go from here.
  1. Schaub can push forward & continue to try to make plays & the rest of the team step up. This means he continues to push his comfort level & take more chances. He'll continue to make mistakes, there will be more INTs to come, most likely some pick 6es.

I know at one time we said we were ok with that. With a dominant run game, a dominant defense, & a bad ass punter, we should be able to overcome mistakes made by an aggressive offense.
  2. Schaub goes back to his old ways & the rest of the team step up. Very unpopular opinion, but Schaub played his average game against the Patriots in the divisional round. Foster (the OL) & the defense didn't step up the way we needed them to.

Schaub is definitely an anchor, slowing us down.... but not so much that he's holding us back. Well, if he remains as mistake prone as he's been this year he'll be holding us back if the defense doesn't stop allowing 70+ yard TD scoring drives & the run game can't keep us out of 3rd & long (penalties got us against SF moreso than the run game). But I'm blindly hoping he cuts way back on the turn overs.

Pleas don't think I'm absolving Schaub of any mistakes, blame, or responsibility. I've given up on him being better than he is. Realistically if the rest of the team does not step up, we don't have a chance. Schaub is Schaub. "Fixing" Schaub isn't going to get us "Peyton Manning" it's going to get us regular season Joe Flacco.
Nothing wrong with your list. Scary thing about it is that basically the rest of the team has to be damn near flawless or play a very balanced game for Schaub to have success. It is probably one of the issues but nothing we can do about it. But yeah I agree. Best chance we have to stay alive is to fall back and go conservative mode. At least that way the games can be close instead of these double digit losses that are happening far too often lately. It will also keep the team from getting over demoralized by another bad play/situation.

Schaub is definitely who he is at this point. I say let him toss it 20-25 times and run the hell out of Foster/Tate. Will be interesting to see what Kubiak's approach will be this game. That whole 'cut loose' idea wasn't the best gameplan in my opinion. I expected them to scale back a bit and let him get his head right. To say his body language on the sideline spoke volumes would be an understatement.

Porky

Hall of Fame
In 2011 or pre-injury 12 sure. Now? No way in hell. Cutler and Rivers are clearly way ahead of Schaub looking at the current year. In fact, in both cases, they have had a rebirth of sorts.

deucetx

Rookie
In 2011 or pre-injury 12 sure. Now? No way in hell. Cutler and Rivers are clearly way ahead of Schaub looking at the current year. In fact, in both cases, they have had a rebirth of sorts.
The Bears fan in me will wait and see with Cutler. He's been good except for one game when he reverted to poor mechanics. But you may end up correct in the end and both have one thing that is common...

New head coaches and both offensive minded. I'm sure those wanting Kubes gone like that point.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Nothing wrong with your list. Scary thing about it is that basically the rest of the team has to be damn near flawless or play a very balanced game for Schaub to have success. It is probably one of the issues but nothing we can do about it. But yeah I agree. Best chance we have to stay alive is to fall back and go conservative mode. At least that way the games can be close instead of these double digit losses that are happening far too often lately. It will also keep the team from getting over demoralized by another bad play/situation.
Not calling him Rodgers, but Rodgers is also having trouble winning games when everything isn't perfect.

I'm also not asking for perfect. Just situationally better. Sunday after Ben Tate fumbled the ball, SF starts on our 8 yard line. Our defense held them to a field goal. This was in the 4th qtr.

Two of Schaub's interceptions gave SF the ball on our 30. Our defense gave up TDs on both. The second one SF scored on a 3 play 69 yard drive. We can't let that happen. If they've got 70 yards to go, we should be able to hold them scoreless regardless how they got the ball.

Also, after the pick 6, Schaub was throwing the ball well on our next drive. He was looking really good. We get down to their 30, on 3rd & 1 Arian picks up the first, but OD is called for holding. It's 3rd & 11, OD is called for a false start. It's 3rd & 16 & Kubiak calls for the worse looking screen I've ever seen. Then the fat Hobbit misses a chip-shot field goal. Then the defense gives up another TD on a 70 yard drive.

That's not stepping up from anyone. All that "we support our QB" yak is just lip service if this is how we "answer" adversity. Arian answered the call, I think Keyshawn answered the call, & there were a few on defense (Cushing, Watt, Mays, Crick, Mitchell were all great). The hold was a ticky-tack call, but the false start? Owen ain't no rookie. Then the play-call for the screen..... I'm not blaming Kubiak for that one, I'm blaming Schaub for not asking for something down field. He needs to show his coach he has the confidence needed to make that call. If the throw isn't there, throw it away & we've still got the field goal...... then missing the field goal.... Again, I keep harping on it but a 70 yard TD drive right there does not say, "We've got his back!!"

We could have played better across the board in that situation. That's a team fail.

handswarmer

Rookie
Gabbert has a QBR of 36 on the season. As bad as Schaub has been, he has a 76.9 QBR (which is bad). QBs that have a better rating than Schaub include Sam Bradford, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Brian Hoyer, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, Terrelle Pryor, and Jake Locker. Put a few of those in the poll and it'd be an interesting choice.
I think you confused Passer rating and QBR.

a 76.9 QBR at ESPN is actually pretty good since 50 is avg.

BTW- Schaub is a 35.4 QBR, Gabbert a 1.8
http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr