Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Rank these quarterbacks from best to worst.
Matt Schaub, Blaine Gabbert, Steven McGee 23 54.76%
Matt Schaub, Steven McGee, Blaine Gabbert 15 35.71%
Blaine Gabbert, Matt Schaub, Steven McGee 1 2.38%
Blaine Gabbert, Steven McGee, Matt Schaub 0 0%
Steven McGee, Matt Schaub, Blaine Gabbert 0 0%
Steven McGee, Blaine Gabbert, Matt Schaub 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2013   #1
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 3178 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rate these quarterbacks

Among these 3 bad QB's, what do you think?
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #2
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 12391 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rate these quarterbacks

Say what you will but Gabbert and McGee put together have never thrown for 4000+ yards in a season so lumping Schaub with those types may be going too far. Schaub to me is in the Jay Cutler/Philip Rivers tier.
Old 10-09-2013   #3
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113372 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

This poll lacks any sense of: a relative order of magnitude.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Say what you will but Gabbert and McGee put together have never thrown for 4000+ yards in a season so lumping Schaub with those types may be going too far. Schaub to me is in the Jay Cutler/Philip Rivers tier.
Uuumm yeah, like 3 years ago you could say that. But as of now, only a delusional blind person wouldn't lump Schaub with those guys. Just look at Schaub's numbers from the last 4 games of last season up until now. His numbers are horrible, his mobility is worse then all of them, and he has the record for throwing TD's to the other team.

Trying to compare Schaub to Rivers and Cutler at this current time is laughable.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't even like Schaub as a qb, but gabbert and what's his face are not on matts level.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Gabbert has a QBR of 36 on the season. As bad as Schaub has been, he has a 76.9 QBR (which is bad). QBs that have a better rating than Schaub include Sam Bradford, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Brian Hoyer, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, Terrelle Pryor, and Jake Locker. Put a few of those in the poll and it'd be an interesting choice.
Old 10-10-2013   #7
Sigma
Veteran

Rep Power: 13130 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted S>G>M

but if you think Schaub is bad for the texans then you should vote him #3

G>M>S

Gabbert is easy the best:
1- he is crap
2- he is in our division

McGee just doesn't matter, so it's not good nor bad (#2)
Old 10-10-2013   #8
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Uuumm yeah, like 3 years ago you could say that. But as of now, only a delusional blind person wouldn't lump Schaub with those guys. Just look at Schaub's numbers from the last 4 games of last season up until now. His numbers are horrible, his mobility is worse then all of them, and he has the record for throwing TD's to the other team.

Trying to compare Schaub to Rivers and Cutler at this current time is laughable.
Yup
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #9
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Rep Power: 12391 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

I'm using an overall body of work to make my assessment, not the "what have you done for me lately" frame of thought.
Old 10-10-2013   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

On the bright side, Schaub's overall TD passes have gone way up.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #11
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm using an overall body of work to make my assessment, not the "what have you done for me lately" frame of thought.
I agree. Cutler & Rivers have both went through patches in their career. They have both gotten boo'd and fans wanted them out. But their teams stuck with them and both are currently having good seasons.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #12
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 20467 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I agree. Cutler & Rivers have both went through patches in their career. They have both gotten boo'd and fans wanted them out. But their teams stuck with them and both are currently having good seasons.
Not a great example. For one, jury still out on Cutler. There's a reason they didn't go to the negotiation table on his contract yet. But in any case, these teams waited over the period of 1-2 seasons for these guys to 'turn it around'. They are younger where as Schaub is in his 30's already, been in this system for quite some time and has a load of talent around him. Schaub already had the benefit of a team being built around him unlike those two. It already has been built around him. He now needs to step up and do something with that team.

What Schaub did in the past is nice and all but what matters is what he can and will do right now. Unless your name is Peyton Manning you don't generally become leaps and bounds better as you age in this league. He needs to step his game up right now.

And the comparison is a stretch for this poll. Gabbert can't even complete 50% of his passes and McGee isn't even in the league. Schaub is playing piss poor but he hasn't came close to dropping to their level.

Last edited by deucetx; 10-10-2013 at 09:28 AM.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #13
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Everyone last year said Rivers was done, seems to me like. He's had a pretty good year thus far.

Like it or not Schaub will be the QB next year also, no way Bobby Mac is going to lose 20 M's (or whatever the cap hit/dead money is) to appease the fans.

If a change gets made we either A) tank or B) trade Arian Foster for a 1st rounder or on draft day to get a top prospect and even then Schaub would start until the kid would be ready. Not sure the HWWNBN trial by fire method would go over well with a shoddy line.

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.
Old 10-10-2013   #14
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20124 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't even like Schaub as a qb, but gabbert and what's his face are not on matts level.
I agree, neither one of them has ever thrown four pick-six's in a row.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
They are younger where as Schaub is in his 30's ...
Cutler is 30 and Rivers is about to turn 32.

Quote:
ELike it or not Schaub will be the QB next year also, no way Bobby Mac is going to lose 20 M's (or whatever the cap hit/dead money is) to appease the fans.
There is no new money in cutting Schaub. The only issue is in accounting for money already spent. Now if he stays there will be new money paid out to the tune of $11 mil.
Old 10-10-2013   #16
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20124 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like it or not Schaub will be the QB next year also, no way Bobby Mac is going to lose 20 M's (or whatever the cap hit/dead money is) to appease the fans.
Loses more than that in tickets, concessions, and merchandise by putting crap on the field.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #17
SCOTTexans
Veteran

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Loses more than that in tickets, concessions, and merchandise by putting crap on the field.
The stands will still sell out with Schaub there...
SCOTTexans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTexans View Post
The stands will still sell out with Schaub there...
And merchandise is split league wide so there is minimal direct impact.
Old 10-10-2013   #19
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Cutler is 30 and Rivers is about to turn 32.

There is no new money in cutting Schaub. The only issue is in accounting for money already spent. Now if he stays there will be new money paid out to the tune of $11 mil.
So 11M if he stays as QB next year. What is the dead money if he's cut this year or in the off-season, admittedly I know very little when it comes to cap management, only that nobody likes to give away money. I hated the extension they have him for the scenario that is being played out currently.

Piss,moan and boycott all you guys want Reliant will stay full, no way in hell will this city play chicken with an owner and have the franchise leave town in the middle of the night again.
Old 10-10-2013   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Not a great example. For one, jury still out on Cutler. There's a reason they didn't go to the negotiation table on his contract yet. But in any case, these teams waited over the period of 1-2 seasons for these guys to 'turn it around'. They are younger where as Schaub is in his 30's already, been in this system for quite some time and has a load of talent around him. Schaub already had the benefit of a team being built around him unlike those two. It already has been built around him. He now needs to step up and do something with that team.
Rivers & Schaub were in the same draft. They're practically the same age. Jay Cutler was drafted two years later. Both guys came into the league as starters, Cutler had two franchises built around him & Rivers has had at least two teams built around him, the last two/three years has been a rebuilding process for them more or less. They've been losing a lot of talent on both sides of the ball & not really doing a good job of replacing it.

Quote:
What Schaub did in the past is nice and all but what matters is what he can and will do right now. Unless your name is Peyton Manning you don't generally become leaps and bounds better as you age in this league. He needs to step his game up right now.
My personal opinion is that for the last 5 games, Matt has been trying to come out of that conservative shell that we don't like. I think there are two ways to go from here.
  1. Schaub can push forward & continue to try to make plays & the rest of the team step up. This means he continues to push his comfort level & take more chances. He'll continue to make mistakes, there will be more INTs to come, most likely some pick 6es.

I know at one time we said we were ok with that. With a dominant run game, a dominant defense, & a bad ass punter, we should be able to overcome mistakes made by an aggressive offense.
  2. Schaub goes back to his old ways & the rest of the team step up. Very unpopular opinion, but Schaub played his average game against the Patriots in the divisional round. Foster (the OL) & the defense didn't step up the way we needed them to.

Schaub is definitely an anchor, slowing us down.... but not so much that he's holding us back. Well, if he remains as mistake prone as he's been this year he'll be holding us back if the defense doesn't stop allowing 70+ yard TD scoring drives & the run game can't keep us out of 3rd & long (penalties got us against SF moreso than the run game). But I'm blindly hoping he cuts way back on the turn overs.

Pleas don't think I'm absolving Schaub of any mistakes, blame, or responsibility. I've given up on him being better than he is. Realistically if the rest of the team does not step up, we don't have a chance. Schaub is Schaub. "Fixing" Schaub isn't going to get us "Peyton Manning" it's going to get us regular season Joe Flacco.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read