Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Owen Daniels Fibula Injury, Could Miss Time

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/07/owen-daniels-could-miss-time-with-fibula-injury/

As if the Texans didn’t have enough problems, they could now be without tight end Owen Daniels, at least for a little while.

According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, Daniels underwent two MRIs on his fibula on Monday. He could miss a few weeks.

McClain reports that Daniels could be placed on injured reserve, with designation to return. If that happens, he’ll miss at least eight weeks.

Just our luck.

I see him returning after the bye week. I have confidence Graham will fill in nicely.

Another thing to think about. We were down 28 points when he got injured. He shouldn't have even been on the field at that point.

Not too much that can happen to the fibula except for a stress or overt fracture. Fortunately, the fibula is a non weight-bearing bone. If a stress fracture, expect 4 weeks of non weight-bearing......maybe 6 weeks for an overt fracture.

That'll reduce the odds of pick 6's, OD was the target on a couple of them. However, I have faith that Schaub can throw pick 6's while targeting anyone but we will see how Matty can adjust.

I'm not going to lose sleep over this. OD didn't do Schaub any favors on that pick 6 against the Seahawks. I'm very comfortable with Graham and I'd love to see Griffin get some playing time. Even Schaub would have a hard time missing someone that big. I'm sure he'll do it, but he'll have to work at it.

I wonder if he hurt his leg trying to reverse his direction to catch a pass thrown behind him or trying to make a tackle on another INT. :hmmm:

And no, I'm not happy or anything resembling happy that OD is injured. I'm just not overly concerned with his absence as far as offensive production goes. I think Graham has a ton of upside and Matty Pick 6 needs to look at someone other than OD and AJ every freaking pass play. Well, hopefully it'll be Yates or Keenum looking for open receivers soon.

Like someone mentioned before it seems OD has been the intended target on most of the pick sixes. Maybe Griffin + Yates/Keenum will instill new vigor for our offense.

Not too much that can happen to the fibula except for a stress or overt fracture. Fortunately, the fibula is a non weight-bearing bone. If a stress fracture, expect 4 weeks of non weight-bearing......maybe 6 weeks for an overt fracture.

I'm assuming that you're implying with proper medical care it's 6 weeks. So we should expect his career to be over w our staff. Hopefully he doesn't lose the leg.

I'm assuming that you're implying with proper medical care it's 6 weeks. So we should expect his career to be over w our staff. Hopefully he doesn't lose the leg.
That would be really funny if it weren't so damned true. :gun:

Tin foil hat thought:

OD was the only player after the Seahawks game to openly question why they ran that play and not a run......

Tin foil hat thought:

OD was the only player after the Seahawks game to openly question why they ran that play and not a run......

And OD had the ball flat assed stolen from him. I would be diverting attention from myself, also. Sherman went right through OD on that play. :tinfoil:

Like someone mentioned before it seems OD has been the intended target on most of the pick sixes. Maybe Griffin + Yates/Keenum will instill new vigor for our offense.
Yes. An infusion of youth might do the trick. Goodness knows something is needed.

Not good news at all for the Texans. I hope his return is sooner rather than later because the Texans need him out there pretty bad. Such a clutch player for the offense. Get well soon, Daniels!

At least Graham is playing decent lately. The Texans will most definitely need him to continue to play well.

Time for Graham to win next year's TE job.

That's a done deal IMO. OD makes to much and will be gone after this year anyway. I'm excited to see griffin get some playing time. There is something about him that just stands out to me.

The one thaing that could turn this offense into a unstoppable force is for us to start hitting the TE's down the seems. If we would just start throwing it it would open up so much.

Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli

Owen Daniels' injury is a non-displaced
fibula fracture. That is likely to keep him
out 4-6 weeks. Tough blow for #Texans

Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli

Owen Daniels' injury is a non-displaced
fibula fracture. That is likely to keep him
out 4-6 weeks. Tough blow for #Texans

With this type of fibula fracture, non weight-bearing will be maintained for 4-6 weeks, depending of radiological evidence of proper bone healing (reflecting strength). Then you can tack on an additional 2 weeks before acceptable comfort and return to reasonable performance can be expected. It the Texans decide to IR him with designation to return, it will still fit nicely into the allotted time frame.

With this type of fibula fracture, non weight-bearing will be maintained for 4-6 weeks, depending of radiological evidence of proper bone healing (reflecting strength). Then you can tack on an additional 2 weeks before acceptable comfort and return to reasonable performance can be expected. It the Texans decide to IR him with designation to return, it will still fit nicely into the allotted time frame.

He is designated for return

The texans don't have many game changers on offense. Daniels being gone isn't gone change much because its not like defenses are losing sleep over daniels. Dude can't get seperation and doesn't break tackles. He's a 10 per catch schemed te. Dime a dozen.

He is designated for return

The texans don't have many game changers on offense. Daniels being gone isn't gone change much because its not like defenses are losing sleep over daniels. Dude can't get seperation and doesn't break tackles. He's a 10 per catch schemed te. Dime a dozen.

I, too, don't think that this was such a good decision. But, he is one of the few "go to" receivers that Schaub seems to always migrate to. Makes me think that Kubiak expects to keep sticking with Schaub come Hell or high water.

FWIW, makes you wonder about all the info coming from the Texans.

SportsTalk 790 ‏@SportsTalk790 7h
RT @adamclanton: #Texans tight end @owendaniels on with us now on @SportsTalk790; he says he has NOT had 2 MRI's on his fibula...

And also instead of 4-6 weeks out, 610 Radio now reporting that the Texans say Daniels would be out 4-8 weeks (closer to the 6-8 weeks that I initially related is more reasonable).

ADD: TE Owen Daniels out 4-8 weeks with broken fibula by John McClain

610 guys were talking about how Daniel Manning returned after ~4 1/2 weeks following a fibula fracture, and there was no reason why OD couldn't. Manning was taken to surgery to place a metal plate at the fracture site. This type of tibial fracture with plate repair allows for fracture support/stabilization throughout the entire bone healing period, and the return is more dictated by the ability to play through pain. There is no report that OD will have his fracture plated (who knows, we may find out after the fact). But if it is not placed, and he is allowed to bear weight without hardware before the bone demonstrates adequate healing upon radiological imaging (~6 weeks) , the fibula is high risk for non-union and to re-break under stress, and probably displace then, thus causing significant surrounding muscular and tendinous damage in addition to the bone damage. And that would undoubtedly put him out for the season.

im just glad that schaub started sucking before daniels went down.

the schaub apologists cant use this injury as an excuse for schaub.

but they will try.

We have depth at TE, so we'll be fine missing OD for a few games. Make Schaub look somewhere else.....or now 100% of the passes will go to AJ.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/09/texans-sign-fill-in-tight-end-jake-byrne/

The Texans took a short-term step to fill in at tight end, after their long-term answer there was lost for two months.

According to Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego, the Texans have signed tight end Jake Byrne off the Chargers’ practice squad.

Byrne was on the Texans practice squad during the playoffs last year, after going to training camp with the Saints in 2012. He was cut by the Texans this preseason.

He takes the roster spot created when the Texans put tight end Owen Daniels on IR/designated for return because of a broken leg. Daniels will be out until Week 14, by which point it might not matter.

And we resign Byrne from the SD PS. Kubiak loves his Sconi TE's.

You're absolutely right. He's not as good as he was in his younger days. The separation just isn't there anymore. He still has good hands and it will hurt our red-zone offense though. 3 TDs in 5 games. But I'm confident our young tight ends like Garrett Graham and Ryan Griffin will step up and play well.

I remember before Owen Daniels' first major injury (ACL) in 2009 when he was a total beast who could take over a game, and that was highlighted with a sweet one-handed TD catch against the Bengals on the road. At that time you could argue he was a top 5 tight end in the game. But that's not the case anymore. People in my fantasy league barely had him valued in the top 15 entering the season.

If not for his season-ending injury in 2009 we probably would have made the playoffs that year. We were 5-3 at the time but struggled without him. This time around I just don't see his loss hurting us as much. We have the #1 ranked defense in the league, an excellent running game on offense with two of the better backs in the league, and an offensive line which is now getting healthy again.

This still comes down to #8 Matt Schaub being able to play a lot better and making the right decisions. Ironically enough, I'd even argue that not having Owen Daniels is a good thing for Schaub moving forward this season. He was targeting Daniels way too much and forcing throws when Daniels wasn't even open. That was leading to numerous interceptions and some of those pick six's.

I'm more concerned with our incredibly poor special teams play, outside of Shane Lechler's amazing punting, than I am with losing Owen Daniels for 8 games. We are not getting any return game at all. It's time to replace Keshawn Martin. I've never seen a worse returner in my life. And Randy Bullock is still missing field goals.

Back