Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-24-2013   #101
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Ill Say It. Reed Looks Like Crap

It's not so much that Reed was at fault for that play, but rather you'd hope a savvy veteran like Reed would sniff out such trickery and make a play, right? I mean, we have all been told over and over that's the reason the Reed signing was a good one. Everyone acknowledged his physical skills were on the decline, but it would be OK because he'd make savvy veteran plays for us.

Right.
Old 10-24-2013   #102
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
It's not so much that Reed was at fault for that play, but rather you'd hope a savvy veteran like Reed would sniff out such trickery and make a play, right? I mean, we have all been told over and over that's the reason the Reed signing was a good one. Everyone acknowledged his physical skills were on the decline, but it would be OK because he'd make savvy veteran plays for us.

Right.
Anyone expecting Ed Reed to sniff out & blow up a QB draw has got the wrong guy in mind.

He's supposed to make opposing QBs think twice about the deep ball & take advantage of any mistakes they might make. There are plenty of examples of him failing in this regard that there is no need to reach.
Old 10-24-2013   #103
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Anyone expecting Ed Reed to sniff out & blow up a QB draw has got the wrong guy in mind.
I expect him to sniff out the play. That's what veteran instincts are for. Blow it up? Yeah, he's not that guy. I expect him to sniff out the play, dive at the guy's feet and get hurdled.
Old 10-24-2013   #104
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

In a nut shell, his run support/tackling is suspect due to an attempt to prolong his career or injury, and his pass coverage sucks because he's slow.

Savy? When he starts picking off passes i'll change my mind. Until then he's an old overpriced marlon mcree.
Old 10-24-2013   #105
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
In a nut shell, his run support/tackling is suspect due to an attempt to prolong his career or injury, and his pass coverage sucks because he's slow.

Savy? When he starts picking off passes i'll change my mind. Until then he's an old overpriced marlon mcree.
McCree wasn't terrible. Reed is. I'm thinking Matt Stevens.
Old 10-24-2013   #106
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
McCree wasn't terrible. Reed is. I'm thinking Matt Stevens.
Fair. Reed would probably run a lot faster if he shaved all that hair and took some metamucil.
Old 10-24-2013   #107
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
He's the leverage player. Not his play to make.

Sure, we would all love it if he dives in and makes that play. But if he doesn't and loses contain what then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
On the ball carrier. He does dive in late and gets blocked by Charles. Imagine if Smith had hesitated and cut behind that block. That would have been all on Mercilus.

It doesn't matter though. He kept the play contained to the middle, which was his job. It's just unfortunate that other guys completely blew their assignments.
He's playing contain on the BALL. Unless he has coverage responsibilities in Charles he should have put his foot in the ground and ran to the ball. When you set the edge you force the BALL/ball-carrier inside. If you can see the ball and it's being held out to you, taking 4 false steps will ensure you won't make the tackle.

I agree that this wasn't his play to make, but he could have shown some run instincts but didn't. My main point or focus was on the middle of the field being a sieve.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2013   #108
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Instincts? His instincts now just plain stink.

Probably won't be a popular opinion, but the DLine was awful there.

The play design was brilliant though. Play design was going to screw up the ilbs and DB's. Instincts aren't going to help with that play. The offensive action started left, went right, then back to the left with smith keeping the ball. McClain and Antonio (?) get destroyed and that is why that play failed. They are simply washed out of the play. They are standing straight up and providing 0 resistance. It's hard on the back end when your DLine is getting demolished.

If you look at Reed he jumps hard to his right when he sees the counter action from the RB's. This is a very unusual play so it's not like it's something you see all the time.

Regarding Mercilus, he's not strong enough against the run. He's just not that guy. He's not the beast that some touted him as. A really good player there comes down and smashes the kick out block in the mouth.

Those talking about contain don't know what they are talking about. When you see a lineman or back coming at you to kick you out you're supposed to crash down and squeeze the hole because a kickout block means they're going inside of you.

This is basic football stuff. Traps, counters...when you are being kicked out you are supposed to hit that blocker in the mouth and drive them back. Squeeze the hole down.

Mercilus didn't do that there and he let Jamal Charles or whoever that was off the hook. Mercilus did a poor job there reacting to the play.

I guarantee the NT, RDE and Mercilus got the brunt of the chewing out on that play.

Last edited by Rey; 10-25-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #109
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Probably won't be a popular opinion, but the DLine was awful there.

The play design was brilliant though. Play design was going to screw up the ilbs and DB's. Instincts are going to help with that play. The offensive action started left, went right, then back to the left with smith keeping the ball. McClain and Antonio (?) get destroyed and that is why that play failed. They are simply washed out of the play. They are standing straight up and providing 0 resistance. It's hard on the back end when your DLine is getting demolished.

If you look at Reed he jumps hard to his right when he sees the counter action from the RB's. This is a very unusual play so it's not like it's something you see all the time.

Regarding Mercilus, he's not strong enough against the run. He's just not that guy. He's not the beast that some touted him as. A really good player there comes down and smashes the kick out block in the mouth.

Those talking about contain don't know what they are talking about. When you see a lineman or back coming at you to kick you out you're supposed to crash down and squeeze the hole because a kickout block means they're going inside of you.

This is basic football stuff. Traps, counters...when you are being kicked out you are supposed to hit that blocker in the mouth and drive them back. Squeeze the hole down.

Mercilus didn't do that there and he let Jamal Charles or whoever that was off the hook. Mercilus did a poor job there reacting to the play.

I guarantee the NT, RDE and Mercilus got the brunt of the chewing out on that play.
Play wouldnt look so bad if they had atleast ran the fake to the correct side instead of Smith handing off to air, that makes it even more embarrasing.
Old 10-24-2013   #110
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Play wouldnt look so bad if they had atleast ran the fake to the correct side instead of Smith handing off to air, that makes it even more embarrasing.
Is Smith improvising with the draw there because the correct handoff isn't made or does he make the same fake anyway but to the correct side?

Either way I just feel
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #111
CorpusTexan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 CorpusTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCorpusTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCorpusTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCorpusTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCorpusTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCorpusTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCorpusTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCorpusTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCorpusTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCorpusTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCorpusTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

That clip is such bad footage to go by. If anything look at how Smith and McClain got manhandled... Look at the speed of the play I don't bring Reed to fault on it.
CorpusTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #112
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpusTexan View Post
That clip is such bad footage to go by. If anything look at how Smith and McClain got manhandled... Look at the speed of the play I don't bring Reed to fault on it.
I agree. I think some people listen to the commentators & just go with what they said even though it could be completely wrong. Like the PI thing. If someone gets a PI, the first thing the commentator wants to go with is, "He didn't turn his head." Which is irrelevant 99% of the time, but... fans go with it, because the commentator never comes back & corrects himself.

I remember when Koch & Kalu started repeating this, about Reed getting fooled by the play-action to no one. I remembered watching the play, but didn't remember what Reed had done, because there were so many bad things that happened in front of him.

I respect Kock & Kalu's take more than others, so I just smh.. then after watching this gif... I understand the theme, "Ed Reed was a useless waste of money." & there are people out there looking for anything that makes it look like a bad move... so a little exaggeration, & we talk about this play.

I'm not saying the Reed money was money well spent (but it's not like we backed up the Brinks), & I didn't see it, but I'm sure there's another hurdling incident that would make a nice collage with all the ones from previous games (I know I've seen him hurdled in each of the previous 3 games).
Old 10-25-2013   #113
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Honestly I think that was part of the play. If it wasn't then it would likely fool a lot of defenders. It looks like it could be a reverse pivot type handoff.

But if you look at it, they aren't so much reacting to the fake handoff, they are reacting the the backs making that counter action.

Smith could have very easily used his left hand to give that ball to Charles. That's what the defense was thinking. If that had happened, they'd have been in a little bit better shape.

But smith kept it. The defense sees the motion go to their left, right, then back left.

I honestly just think it was a great play design by them, good blocking, a mobile qb that could pull it off but not a guy you key on too much...and a poor job by us up front.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #114
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121294 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LD-pDhPcig

Old 10-26-2013   #115
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Interesting.

I wonder what would have happened if the TE on Cushing's side didn't cross the field. If he'd have turned his route outside. Then you'd have Cushing covering that whole side of the field by himself. He'd be responsible for both the RB in the flat & the TE..... while Mays would have been sitting there in the middle of the field doing nothing.

I know since the TE crossed the middle of the field & Mays is close to him, it makes sense that he was Mays' man to pick up.... but the other TE just buzzed right by him.

I know the thing right now is to bust on Ed Reed & I'm not trying to defend him, just saying... If they were in man coverage & the TE on the left side of the line ran an out route, who would cover him?

There was definitely some confusion there & Ed Reed was definitely part of the problem (looked like it anyway) but not the whole problem.
Old 10-26-2013   #116
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Every time I open this thread I keep hoping for some Brooks Reed sucks too discussion.
Old 10-27-2013   #117
Lambert
Veteran

Rep Power: 8289 Lambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Every time I open this thread I keep hoping for some Brooks Reed sucks too discussion.
Maybe if he does ever suck, you will be happy. True fan.........
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #118
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert View Post
A true fan doesn't accept the status quo. Mix in a splash play once a season brooks. He's safely locked away behind containment responsibilities and assignment sound football. That's all great but maybe he oughta do something to impact a game once in a while.

We've gotta have the worst tandem of reeds in the league.
Old 10-27-2013   #119
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert View Post
Glad you are happy with his long hair and one sack. sorry, that is awful for a fulltime 3-4 OLB. Run responsibilities be damned.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...R/ReedBr00.htm
Old 10-27-2013   #120
Lambert
Veteran

Rep Power: 8289 Lambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Glad you are happy with his long hair and one sack. sorry, that is awful for a fulltime 3-4 OLB. Run responsibilities be damned.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...R/ReedBr00.htm
B Reed is tied for 3rd in tackles on the team, and you get down on his hair? Maybe you're letting a little jealousy trump your football knowledge?

http://chron.stats.com/fb/teamstats....=34&type=stats
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read