Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

anybody else hear that DD might hold out??

keyfro

Veteran
clicked onto houstonchronicle.com and saw that on the justice/mcclain show they talked about how DD might hold out for a new contract...anyone know if there is any truth to this or is mcclain just blowing smoke up everyone's arses

That doesn't sound right at all. Why would he hold out, we already went to him and offered to negotiate a new contract and they wanted to hold off til a later date, didn't they?

He would be a fool to hold out. The Texans didn't take Morency because he looks cool with his helmet visor.

Vinny said:
He would be a fool to hold out. The Texans didn't take Morency because he looks cool with his helmet visor.

they didn't!? I've got to go tell captian obvious! well, the texans have to renegotiate David and Domanick's contract. I suggest doing it the week the Texans suffer their only (i hope) loss of the season.

The Texans don't have to renegotiate either contract. Dom is a RFA not a UFA and David has a buy-out clause. Capt Obvious probably doesn't know that.

Vinny said:
The Texans don't have to renegotiate either contract. Dom is a RFA not a UFA and David has a buy-out clause. Capt Obvious probably doesn't know that.

Its best to renegotiate right now before Carr becomes the best QB in the greatest QB division of the AFC South ('cept Fat Albert of the cardiac cats). As for DD, its not hard to replace him, the Texans could just use the Broncos' RB system and use a hobo. But I don't want a holdout to happen cuz that really lowers morale and chemistry.

mexican_texan said:
Its best to renegotiate right now before Carr becomes the best QB in the greatest QB division of the AFC South ('cept Fat Albert of the cardiac cats).

The issue right now is Carr playing up to the remainder of his contract, not him out-playing it. His cap hit for 2005 is $7.8 mil and for 2006 is $9.4 mil.

infantrycak said:
His cap hit for 2005 is $7.8 mil and for 2006 is $9.4 mil.
That's why the Texans would look to renegotiate Carr's contract. To lower the cap number.

mexican_texan said:
Its best to renegotiate right now before Carr becomes the best QB in the greatest QB division of the AFC South ('cept Fat Albert of the cardiac cats). As for DD, its not hard to replace him, the Texans could just use the Broncos' RB system and use a hobo. But I don't want a holdout to happen cuz that really lowers morale and chemistry.

If everyone could just use the Broncos' RB system then running backs wouldn't be nearly as highly valued. It's harder to emulate their system than just instituting a new blocking scheme.

I had joined Domanick's website .. http://www.doubledtalk.com/

I haven't been there for a while, and thought there might be some current information, but now it seems a person needs to pay for a 'Touchdown' membership (the payment plan) to access everything.

I got the feeling from the audio segment that the Texans would sit down with DD, but he could get much more if he plays well this season. (They also mention Buchanan as being in the same boat.)

Aside from Morency, McClain insinuated that the Texans floated the Travis Henry rumor to keep DD in check a little.

There will be no hold out unless DD is Verba-stupid (i.e. grossly delusional, an a__ about it, and unwilling to be patient). DD seems to be the complete opposite.

Holding out by any RB would quite dumb...Alexander, E. James, and Henry are all better than DomDavis (2 not even close) and can't get anyone to pay for them. I assume that Dom's agent is watching the market.

Adam Sheftfield (sp) just reported on NFL Total Access that the Texans were very close to rewarding DD very nicely for all the hard work and good attitude he has shown both on and off the field.

i hope so...while DD might not be the dominate runner that we think of in guys like alexander, edge, or even benson for that matter...davis has one thing he can hold over all of their heads...the ability to catch the ball...besides LT i don't think there is a better back in the reciever catagory...DD is a double threat at anytime...as much he deserves to get paid i think he should do it the honorable way...play this season out then talk to them about during our off-week...maybe get it done then...or at the end of the season...i know in pro sports honor isn't something that's held high but it would be nice to see that change

yes i believe players should honor the contracts they signed *cough TO cough*

and yes i believe managers should honor the contracts they sign players to...maybe if they signed them to more realistic contracts we wouldn't have to constantly see players redo their contracts and what not...i know it's a business and business always change but at some point it's just silly and that point is pretty close to being now...maybe not in the texans case but as the NFL as a whole it is

d.d. shouldnt hold out, but i agree with T.O.'s holdout because he got a bad deal. then again, he signed it so its his mistake

d.d. shouldnt hold out, but i agree with T.O.'s holdout because he got a bad deal. then again, he signed it so its his mistake

that makes three of you: 1. TO 2. rosengouge and 3. YOU.

not comapny i would like to share, but to each his own...

back on topic, i hope DD doesn't hold out because my opinon of him would change dramatically (which will really get him worried, but i have standards too dammit!...). but after i saw his website, the aforementioned doubledtalk.com, it gave me a bad feeling so i wouldn't be totally surprised....please don't do it DD!!!

....come on season, come on season...

I'm pretty sure the Texans will have DD in the back field this season and a happy DD at that. He is my boy and I know the Texans will do what it takes to keep him (reasonably) but I think DD know he can easily be replaced.

Besides the two people who we do not want to leave are A.J. and Carr. But it is a team sport. Fact of the matter we forget it is a business also, but I would hate to see DD go if he do.

Here's the text version of Adam Schetters story

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8630877

Davis for future seasons before the third-year running back can become a restricted free agent. The two sides soon will be discussing a long-term contract extension that would keep Davis, now aiming for his third consecutive 1,000-plus-yard rushing season, in Houston for at least the next five seasons.

It is expected to be completed by the time the Texans break training camp later this summer. But first, the Texans want to get deals done with each of their six draft picks. Once they do, they will move on to business with Davis, who despite being scheduled to make $380,000 this season in the last year of his three-year contract has attended all the Texans' OTAs.

Davis will turn 25 in October, and once his new deal is signed -- and it would be a major upset if it weren't -- he can bank on spending the prime years of his career in Houston.

As with everything regarding palyer signings, I'll reserve judgement till I see a dollar amount. I'm gald the FO has put signing the draft picks as their first priority.

I hope Domanick is focusing on doing what he can to stay healthy for a full 16 games, and not worrying about his contract. When healthy, he's already proven he can be one of the best in the league. The big contract will come in due time.

DD and holding out just dont go together, I think he is too much of a team player and has far to much to prove before he can hold out. DD has proven that when hes on the field he can put up amazing numbers and score numerouse TDs but he has to prove that he can stay on the field. I just hope the Texans can work this out and get the dealed hammered in and done before pre-season so that DD wont have this on his mind when he should just be worried about playing.

ArlingtonTexan said:
Holding out by any RB would quite dumb...Alexander, E. James, and Henry are all better than DomDavis (2 not even close) and can't get anyone to pay for them. I assume that Dom's agent is watching the market.

There's a big difference... Those guys are closing in on 30 and wanting 6-7 million per year. Davis is young and right now is making only about 1/2 million a year. It makes total sense for Davis to hold out. He's got back to back 1000 yard seasons and won't be a free agent for two years. If he doesn't get a significant signing bonus, his career could end with one hit and he'd never cash in on his talent and production.

According to this the Texans are just waiting to sign their rookies before negotiating with DD.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8630877

It is expected to be completed by the time the Texans break training camp later this summer. But first, the Texans want to get deals done with each of their six draft picks. Once they do, they will move on to business with Davis, who despite being scheduled to make $380,000 this season in the last year of his three-year contract has attended all the Texans' OTAs.

dalemurphy said:
There's a big difference... Those guys are closing in on 30 and wanting 6-7 million per year. Davis is young and right now is making only about 1/2 million a year. It makes total sense for Davis to hold out. He's got back to back 1000 yard seasons and won't be a free agent for two years. If he doesn't get a significant signing bonus, his career could end with one hit and he'd never cash in on his talent and production.

The point is that he has about ZERO leverage. If there was a market those guys at 27 and 28 could still get jobs. He may want to cash for the reason you stated, but the Texans control his rights for a couple of years and have guys on the roster who have similiar skills. Basically, the Texans are showing good faith (and good business) to sign now. DomDavis' best move is to report to camp, understand he is going to a reasonable contract and show the same good faith that the organization is showing him. If holds out the Texans are in a great position to hold Davis hostage. By holding out, he risking going on that market (always could change) that is poor right now for RBs.

ArlingtonTexan said:
The point is that he has about ZERO leverage. If there was a market those guys at 27 and 28 could still get jobs. He may want to cash for the reason you stated, but the Texans control his rights for a couple of years and have guys on the roster who have similiar skills. Basically, the Texans are showing good faith (and good business) to sign now. DomDavis' best move is to report to camp, understand he is going to a reasonable contract and show the same good faith that the organization is showing him. If holds out the Texans are in a great position to hold Davis hostage. By holding out, he risking going on that market (always could change) that is poor right now for RBs.
Well stated. My thoughts exactly. :highfive:

ArlingtonTexan said:

Anytime a player is under contract, the team has leverage. However, the idea that the Texans' wouldn't be hurt by Davis not playing this season is pretty silly. That would be his leverage. Holding out for a new contract has nothing to do with the free agent market. By the way, if he was cut loose on the market, I guarantee you teams would offer him a multi-year deal with a signing bonus in the $4 million dollar plus range.

Hopefully, the team and Davis are handling the negotiations with mutual respect and it will get done. However, I sympathize with players in Davis' position. The collective bargaining agreement doesn't do those players much good. Besides, Davis wasn't even in the NFL when the last agreement was signed.

Greed is rampant in the NFL! This smells of AGENTitis! An agent who knows DD is injury prone and figures he better try to get a few more bucks out of him before the rigors of the game take's it's toll.

I know this is totally irrevelent, and my opinion only, BUT, any player who would charge his fans to access his web site would hold out for more money. DD is like any other player in the NFL, MONEY talks!! Dedication to a team and it's fans means NOTHING when it comes to MONEY. Will it change my opinion of him if he does hold out? Not in the least! I've been following this game far to long to let stuff like this tick me off. It's a business, and he will make a business decision based on what he thinks is best for him, and his agent!! :)

Where is everybody getting the nontion that DD is going to hold out? The Chronicle hacks said he "might" hold out if he dosn't get a new deal, and Schetter is saying that once all the rooks get signed DD is the FO's highest priority.

TO me it sounds like the sports writters had a little to little to due that day and ran with something they thought might happen, I trust Schefter's info over anybody at the Chronicle. So untill I hear DD say he is going to hold out I just thing it's a dumb rumor.

Damn we need training camp to start, like now.

dalemurphy said:
Hopefully, the team and Davis are handling the negotiations with mutual respect and it will get done. However, I sympathize with players in Davis' position. The collective bargaining agreement doesn't do those players much good. Besides, Davis wasn't even in the NFL when the last agreement was signed.

I am going to just agree with you here. This is the key to a deal getting done.

You make points I disagree with, but it is Satueday night and we (wifey) might be going out and enjoying life.

If I were DD and had his history of injuries I would sign a not so outrageous contract if it had a guaranteed upfront bonus of 5-7 mil. That is a ridiculous amount of money even though compared to Portis' contract it isn't much. He risks getting the league minimum if he goes down again for a sustained period. In college he was out regularly and I don't know if he can make it 16 games. Chris Brown is a good RB when healthy but the Titans aren't going to throw crazy money his way. Unless your initials are LT the league is showing elite backs a long term investment is hard to come by. It's almost more important to get a system that can make any back look good. KC and Denver for example. :listening 17 mil over five years to run a football? Maybe that's a lowball offer but not if a third of it is guaranteed and you've had nagging injuries. I hope DD never misses a game again but if he wants to ensure his future now, he should take a smaller contract if you can call $17 million small. :whistle: But if he waited a year and made the pro bowl he could maybe get twice that. I guess I just wouldn't gamble if I were in his shoes.

Hoth-Boy said:
Where is everybody getting the nontion that DD is going to hold out? The Chronicle hacks said he "might" hold out if he dosn't get a new deal, and Schetter is saying that once all the rooks get signed DD is the FO's highest priority.

TO me it sounds like the sports writters had a little to little to due that day and ran with something they thought might happen, I trust Schefter's info over anybody at the Chronicle. So untill I hear DD say he is going to hold out I just thing it's a dumb rumor.

I THINK DD is going to be hit by a comet next week and will be out for the season! See.....you can say anything, but that doesn't make it so. (Dang, I HOPE I am wrong on that one)

Hoth-Boy said:

I THINK DD is going to be hit by a comet next week and will be out for the season! See.....you can say anything, just like some stupid reporter trying to make the off season interesting, but that doesn't make it so. (Dang, I HOPE I am wrong on that one)

What is with this GREED argument?

Yes, these guys get paid millions of dollars to play a game we all love but let's not forget this.

1) We ALL want to get paid the most we can at our jobs. No matter who you are I dont know anyone that says I'll take a pay cut for the company.

2) The avg. football life is only 3 or 4 years. You better get what you can while you can.

3) Football players have the WORST contract situation of the major sports (which is why the owners make so much profit) b/c they dont have to guarantee not ONE contract.

We rag on the players constantly but how about we take a look at the OWNERS for once.

As far as DD holding out. I just wouldn't do it if I was him from the standpoint we do have Morency and you dont want to sacrifice playing time ....the same time that would equal a big check when you become a free agent just to get some money now. He's kinda b/w a rock and hard place.

On one hand he can play out his current contract possibly get hurt not get a thing or not get hurt and get a BIGGGG payday.

OR he could hold out now get some definite money but not make as much b/c he wont have as many consistent seasons and possibly even lose his starting job.

Dominick Davis was drafted out of college and slotted a certain salary in the range of $500,000 per year with a very small bonus. Also, he is required by league rules to sign a minimum of a three year contract and can not truly explore the market until after his fourth season.

So, he had no say in what team he could play for and also no say in how much money he could try to make. Considering that a football player's career only lasts about 4 years on average, I would hardly describe a possible holdout by Davis as greedy.

With all the talk about how selfish players are, I think fans are worse. They are not only often ignorant of the game but are very disrespectful of the players. Fans often don't care about anything but their own experience- whether in the stadium or at home watching on TV. Apparently, there are a number of selfish fans who don't care about the people they root for on this message board.

dalemurphy said:
With all the talk about how selfish players are, I think fans are worse. They are not only often ignorant of the game but are very disrespectful of the players. Fans often don't care about anything but their own experience- whether in the stadium or at home watching on TV. Apparently, there are a number of selfish fans who don't care about the people they root for on this message board.
Why should the 'average' fan care...any more than the team management cares about the players or the fans? Fans are paid patrons of the organization..if they receive a shoddy product, they have the right to complain.

If you get lousy service in a restaurant, you tell the Manager. You don't ask the server if there's a problem with their "home life", that's the Manager's issue...you just want YOUR order right.

not to mention that there are 1000 times more fans than players. makes it alot easier to scape goat the fans as bad fans. and fans are paying patrons, not paid patrons, unless i'm missing out on something.

Texas_Thrill said:
As far as DD holding out. I just wouldn't do it if I was him from the standpoint we do have Morency and you dont want to sacrifice playing time ....the same time that would equal a big check when you become a free agent just to get some money now. He's kinda b/w a rock and hard place.

On one hand he can play out his current contract possibly get hurt not get a thing or not get hurt and get a BIGGGG payday.

OR he could hold out now get some definite money but not make as much b/c he wont have as many consistent seasons and possibly even lose his starting job.

Don't forget this option. He signs a medocre deal for insurance this year. Then he makes the pro-bowl and hires Drew Rosenhaus and wants a larger signing bous with double the salary. scary thought huh? :crying:

disaacks3 said:
Why should the 'average' fan care...any more than the team management cares about the players or the fans? Fans are paid patrons of the organization..if they receive a shoddy product, they have the right to complain.

If you get lousy service in a restaurant, you tell the Manager. You don't ask the server if there's a problem with their "home life", that's the Manager's issue...you just want YOUR order right.

What does this have to do with Dominick Davis? I would agree that if the Texans don't sign him to a reasonable extension and he sits out then you could be upset with the organization if the running game suffers as a result.

Whatever happened to honoring the contract you signed?

I agree DD has done an excellent job for us, showing high character off the field, and a strong work ethic on the field. However, I don’t think that gives him or any other player the right to hold out to get more money. There is such a thing as honor and living up to your commitments. If you sign a contract committing to play for a certain amount of money and time period, then you should play out your existing contract. I have heard many players say it (Farve), and I happen to agree, if you work hard, and produce, you will be rewarded by your organization.

exactly...Texans Pride has hit the "nail" straight on the head...i know every player will come back and talk about how the gm's don't honor their contracts as well...and i agree...it all needs to stop...this game needs to be more about the game than a business IMO...personally i'd like to see it get back to the way it was in the 50's and 60's..(yes i know i wasn't around back then but we all know how it was)...players playing for average pay...and being the average guy...not these overpaid millionaires...might just make it more fan friendly then...and yes i know i'm dreaming because that will never happen

as for DD...i heard that after the texans sign their draft picks they'll go back and talk to a few players about extentions...DD being the main one but probably PB as well...so let's not go nuts just yet...i think DD is man enough to wait til after training camp to get his contract extended

Texans Pride said:
Whatever happened to honoring the contract you signed?

I agree DD has done an excellent job for us, showing high character off the field, and a strong work ethic on the field. However, I don’t think that gives him or any other player the right to hold out to get more money. There is such a thing as honor and living up to your commitments. If you sign a contract committing to play for a certain amount of money and time period, then you should play out your existing contract. I have heard many players say it (Farve), and I happen to agree, if you work hard, and produce, you will be rewarded by your organization.

Really, so if Davis blows out his knee this season, Davis will still be rewarded with a new contract?

NFL contracts are not binding. NFL clubs regularly release players early into contracts without compensation for the player. If Davis doesn't receive an extension with a good bonus then he could get injured an never cash in on his years of service and his talent.

dalemurphy said:
What does this have to do with Dominick Davis? I would agree that if the Texans don't sign him to a reasonable extension and he sits out then you could be upset with the organization if the running game suffers as a result.
Absolutely nothing...which was the point I was making. Blaming fans for Team / player relations is off-target.

dalemurphy said:
Really, so if Davis blows out his knee this season, Davis will still be rewarded with a new contract?

NFL contracts are not binding. NFL clubs regularly release players early into contracts without compensation for the player. If Davis doesn't receive an extension with a good bonus then he could get injured an never cash in on his years of service and his talent.
That makes him different than any other "working stiff" how? If I suffer an injury (even on the job) that makes me incapable of fulfilling the requirements of my job, they let me go and get someone who can. Why do you think that athletes take out large insurance policies with LLoyds?

disaacks3 said:
Absolutely nothing...which was the point I was making. Blaming fans for Team / player relations is off-target.

That makes him different than any other "working stiff" how? If I suffer an injury (even on the job) that makes me incapable of fulfilling the requirements of my job, they let me go and get someone who can. Why do you think that athletes take out large insurance policies with LLoyds?

In your scenario, I guess it would be ethically long to threaten to go work somewhere else for more money or just stay home and do something else. Is that what you are saying? Furthermore, would Dominick Davis begrudge you the right to leave your job or ask for more money using what leverage you have?

dalemurphy said:
In your scenario, I guess it would be ethically long to threaten to go work somewhere else for more money or just stay home and do something else. Is that what you are saying? Furthermore, would Dominick Davis begrudge you the right to leave your job or ask for more money using what leverage you have?
Actually, in my scenario (let's call this the "real world" scenario) I am contractually obligated to perform MY duties for only MY employer and am subject to civil penalties and lawsuit if I break those obligations.

Are you finished with the pointless (and silly) comparisons of the "real world" to that of prefessional athletes? If it's your position that we fans are wrong to expect an athlete to live up to his contractual obligations, then we'll just have to agree to disagree on the subject.

As an aside, have you seen the OTHER THREAD on just this very subject?

Back