Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-08-2005   #21
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's the text version of Adam Schetters story

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8630877

Quote:
Davis for future seasons before the third-year running back can become a restricted free agent. The two sides soon will be discussing a long-term contract extension that would keep Davis, now aiming for his third consecutive 1,000-plus-yard rushing season, in Houston for at least the next five seasons.

It is expected to be completed by the time the Texans break training camp later this summer. But first, the Texans want to get deals done with each of their six draft picks. Once they do, they will move on to business with Davis, who despite being scheduled to make $380,000 this season in the last year of his three-year contract has attended all the Texans' OTAs.

Davis will turn 25 in October, and once his new deal is signed -- and it would be a major upset if it weren't -- he can bank on spending the prime years of his career in Houston.
As with everything regarding palyer signings, I'll reserve judgement till I see a dollar amount. I'm gald the FO has put signing the draft picks as their first priority.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #22
shiznay
waterboy

I hope Domanick is focusing on doing what he can to stay healthy for a full 16 games, and not worrying about his contract. When healthy, he's already proven he can be one of the best in the league. The big contract will come in due time.
shiznay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #23
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

::Irrelevant Post::

Last edited by RTP2110; 07-08-2005 at 10:33 PM.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #24
stephen1
Veteran

doesnt he want to stay put? i cant imagine why he would hold out when hes trying to remain in houston.

Last edited by stephen1; 07-09-2005 at 09:31 PM.
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #25
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

DD and holding out just dont go together, I think he is too much of a team player and has far to much to prove before he can hold out. DD has proven that when hes on the field he can put up amazing numbers and score numerouse TDs but he has to prove that he can stay on the field. I just hope the Texans can work this out and get the dealed hammered in and done before pre-season so that DD wont have this on his mind when he should just be worried about playing.
Old 07-09-2005   #26
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Holding out by any RB would quite dumb...Alexander, E. James, and Henry are all better than DomDavis (2 not even close) and can't get anyone to pay for them. I assume that Dom's agent is watching the market.

There's a big difference... Those guys are closing in on 30 and wanting 6-7 million per year. Davis is young and right now is making only about 1/2 million a year. It makes total sense for Davis to hold out. He's got back to back 1000 yard seasons and won't be a free agent for two years. If he doesn't get a significant signing bonus, his career could end with one hit and he'd never cash in on his talent and production.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #27
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

According to this the Texans are just waiting to sign their rookies before negotiating with DD.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8630877

Quote:
It is expected to be completed by the time the Texans break training camp later this summer. But first, the Texans want to get deals done with each of their six draft picks. Once they do, they will move on to business with Davis, who despite being scheduled to make $380,000 this season in the last year of his three-year contract has attended all the Texans' OTAs.
Old 07-09-2005   #28
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
There's a big difference... Those guys are closing in on 30 and wanting 6-7 million per year. Davis is young and right now is making only about 1/2 million a year. It makes total sense for Davis to hold out. He's got back to back 1000 yard seasons and won't be a free agent for two years. If he doesn't get a significant signing bonus, his career could end with one hit and he'd never cash in on his talent and production.

The point is that he has about ZERO leverage. If there was a market those guys at 27 and 28 could still get jobs. He may want to cash for the reason you stated, but the Texans control his rights for a couple of years and have guys on the roster who have similiar skills. Basically, the Texans are showing good faith (and good business) to sign now. DomDavis' best move is to report to camp, understand he is going to a reasonable contract and show the same good faith that the organization is showing him. If holds out the Texans are in a great position to hold Davis hostage. By holding out, he risking going on that market (always could change) that is poor right now for RBs.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #29
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
The point is that he has about ZERO leverage. If there was a market those guys at 27 and 28 could still get jobs. He may want to cash for the reason you stated, but the Texans control his rights for a couple of years and have guys on the roster who have similiar skills. Basically, the Texans are showing good faith (and good business) to sign now. DomDavis' best move is to report to camp, understand he is going to a reasonable contract and show the same good faith that the organization is showing him. If holds out the Texans are in a great position to hold Davis hostage. By holding out, he risking going on that market (always could change) that is poor right now for RBs.
Well stated. My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-09-2005   #30
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Anytime a player is under contract, the team has leverage. However, the idea that the Texans' wouldn't be hurt by Davis not playing this season is pretty silly. That would be his leverage. Holding out for a new contract has nothing to do with the free agent market. By the way, if he was cut loose on the market, I guarantee you teams would offer him a multi-year deal with a signing bonus in the $4 million dollar plus range.

Hopefully, the team and Davis are handling the negotiations with mutual respect and it will get done. However, I sympathize with players in Davis' position. The collective bargaining agreement doesn't do those players much good. Besides, Davis wasn't even in the NFL when the last agreement was signed.
Old 07-09-2005   #31
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Greed is rampant in the NFL! This smells of AGENTitis! An agent who knows DD is injury prone and figures he better try to get a few more bucks out of him before the rigors of the game take's it's toll.

I know this is totally irrevelent, and my opinion only, BUT, any player who would charge his fans to access his web site would hold out for more money. DD is like any other player in the NFL, MONEY talks!! Dedication to a team and it's fans means NOTHING when it comes to MONEY. Will it change my opinion of him if he does hold out? Not in the least! I've been following this game far to long to let stuff like this tick me off. It's a business, and he will make a business decision based on what he thinks is best for him, and his agent!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #32
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Yeah .. what SheTex said. Greed is an ugly thing.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #33
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Where is everybody getting the nontion that DD is going to hold out? The Chronicle hacks said he "might" hold out if he dosn't get a new deal, and Schetter is saying that once all the rooks get signed DD is the FO's highest priority.

TO me it sounds like the sports writters had a little to little to due that day and ran with something they thought might happen, I trust Schefter's info over anybody at the Chronicle. So untill I hear DD say he is going to hold out I just thing it's a dumb rumor.

Damn we need training camp to start, like now.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #34
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Hopefully, the team and Davis are handling the negotiations with mutual respect and it will get done. However, I sympathize with players in Davis' position. The collective bargaining agreement doesn't do those players much good. Besides, Davis wasn't even in the NFL when the last agreement was signed.
I am going to just agree with you here. This is the key to a deal getting done.

You make points I disagree with, but it is Satueday night and we (wifey) might be going out and enjoying life.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #35
The Preacher
Veteran

If I were DD and had his history of injuries I would sign a not so outrageous contract if it had a guaranteed upfront bonus of 5-7 mil. That is a ridiculous amount of money even though compared to Portis' contract it isn't much. He risks getting the league minimum if he goes down again for a sustained period. In college he was out regularly and I don't know if he can make it 16 games. Chris Brown is a good RB when healthy but the Titans aren't going to throw crazy money his way. Unless your initials are LT the league is showing elite backs a long term investment is hard to come by. It's almost more important to get a system that can make any back look good. KC and Denver for example. 17 mil over five years to run a football? Maybe that's a lowball offer but not if a third of it is guaranteed and you've had nagging injuries. I hope DD never misses a game again but if he wants to ensure his future now, he should take a smaller contract if you can call $17 million small. But if he waited a year and made the pro bowl he could maybe get twice that. I guess I just wouldn't gamble if I were in his shoes.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #36
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Where is everybody getting the nontion that DD is going to hold out? The Chronicle hacks said he "might" hold out if he dosn't get a new deal, and Schetter is saying that once all the rooks get signed DD is the FO's highest priority.

TO me it sounds like the sports writters had a little to little to due that day and ran with something they thought might happen, I trust Schefter's info over anybody at the Chronicle. So untill I hear DD say he is going to hold out I just thing it's a dumb rumor.

I THINK DD is going to be hit by a comet next week and will be out for the season! See.....you can say anything, but that doesn't make it so. (Dang, I HOPE I am wrong on that one)

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #37
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy

I THINK DD is going to be hit by a comet next week and will be out for the season! See.....you can say anything, just like some stupid reporter trying to make the off season interesting, but that doesn't make it so. (Dang, I HOPE I am wrong on that one)

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #38
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

What is with this GREED argument?

Yes, these guys get paid millions of dollars to play a game we all love but let's not forget this.

1) We ALL want to get paid the most we can at our jobs. No matter who you are I dont know anyone that says I'll take a pay cut for the company.

2) The avg. football life is only 3 or 4 years. You better get what you can while you can.

3) Football players have the WORST contract situation of the major sports (which is why the owners make so much profit) b/c they dont have to guarantee not ONE contract.

We rag on the players constantly but how about we take a look at the OWNERS for once.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #39
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

As far as DD holding out. I just wouldn't do it if I was him from the standpoint we do have Morency and you dont want to sacrifice playing time ....the same time that would equal a big check when you become a free agent just to get some money now. He's kinda b/w a rock and hard place.

On one hand he can play out his current contract possibly get hurt not get a thing or not get hurt and get a BIGGGG payday.

OR he could hold out now get some definite money but not make as much b/c he wont have as many consistent seasons and possibly even lose his starting job.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005   #40
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Dominick Davis was drafted out of college and slotted a certain salary in the range of $500,000 per year with a very small bonus. Also, he is required by league rules to sign a minimum of a three year contract and can not truly explore the market until after his fourth season.

So, he had no say in what team he could play for and also no say in how much money he could try to make. Considering that a football player's career only lasts about 4 years on average, I would hardly describe a possible holdout by Davis as greedy.

With all the talk about how selfish players are, I think fans are worse. They are not only often ignorant of the game but are very disrespectful of the players. Fans often don't care about anything but their own experience- whether in the stadium or at home watching on TV. Apparently, there are a number of selfish fans who don't care about the people they root for on this message board.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read