Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans @ San Francisco 49ers. 7:30. 10/6. NBC. **Official GameDay Thread**

Bring your hearts to San Francisco

A decisive and much-needed victory helped the San Francisco 49ers end their recent two-game slide and regain some confidence.

Now, they hope to prevent the Houston Texans from doing the same when the teams meet Sunday night at Candlestick Park.

After being outscored 56-10 in consecutive losses to Seattle and Indianapolis, San Francisco (2-2) looked dominant on both sides of the ball during a 35-11 win at St. Louis on Sept. 26.

After rushing for 142 yards in the first three games, Frank Gore ran for 153 and a touchdown against the Rams. Teammate Anquan Boldin caught five passes for 90 yards and a TD following the same two-game stretch in which he had six receptions for 74.

Colin Kaepernick completed 47.3 percent of his passes while throwing four interceptions, no touchdowns and taking six sacks versus Seattle and Indianapolis. Against the Rams, he went 15 of 23 for 167 yards but threw two TDs without a pick.

"We know the talent we have on this team," Kaepernick said. "We know what we're capable of."

A defensive unit that gave up 356 rushing yards to the Seahawks and Colts held the Rams to 18 even without stars Patrick Willis and Aldon Smith in the lineup.

As Smith remains out indefinitely while attending a rehab facility following his second drunken-driving arrest, it's uncertain if Willis will return from a groin injury. Offensive lineman Joe Staley is expected to play after he injured his leg at St. Louis.

Like the 49ers, Houston (2-2) is a Super Bowl hopeful mired in a mediocre start and looking to avoid a third consecutive defeat.

"We're not where we want to be, but there's a long, long way to go," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "We're a very capable football team, but we've got to be a more consistent football team."

After beating San Diego and Tennessee by a combined nine points, the Texans were blown out 30-9 at Baltimore, then blew a 17-point halftime lead in last Sunday's 23-20 overtime loss to Seattle.

That defeat prompted the team to hold a players-only meeting Monday.

"This isn't fun, man. I was sick of it after one loss," said defensive end J.J. Watt, who has recorded all 3 1/2 of his sacks in the last three games.

"We'll get it fixed. Everything that's wrong will be fixed. I can promise that."

Quarterback Matt Schaub needs to show some improvement after throwing six interceptions already - one of which has been returned for a TD in three straight games.

Despite those struggles, Kubiak has no plans to make a change.

"He's our quarterback," he said. "I don't see a lack of confidence. I see poor decision-making situations. It's something he has to handle and something we have to help him handle."

Schaub should remain comfortable relying on running back Arian Foster, who recorded 171 total yards last Sunday after totaling 227 in the first three games.

Houston allowed an average of 91.3 rushing yards through the first three weeks of the season, but yielded 179 to the Seahawks.

What I want to see:

Stuff the run, make the indecisive Kaepernick...indecisive.

I cannot stress this enough. CK7 can run, but when he is flushed out the pocket, he has a tendency to make mistakes. To get him outside of his comfort zone, we have got to stop their run game. Outside of a 43 yd run, Lynch last week: 16 car, 55 yds. It CAN be done.

Do not hide Schaub

Last thing we need to see is Kube hiding 8 like he's a rookie. I know he's made some mistakes (hell, I've said I'm done with him), but hiding him is a mistake. Allow him to make amends. Let him throw it like nothing has happened. We got no choice here.

Test out the middle of SF's D

Whether it's running the football or passing to the TEs, the middle of the Niner D must be tested. If Patrick Willis is a go, Texans must test him. Running the football...I don't even have to go into that. We'll do that regardless.

FINISH

Last week, that's something our boys did NOT do. So, it's time to make up for it. This game is huge for us, so finishing and playing 60 minutes; any cliche you can come up with, definitely applies here.

Well, folks...our old friend has come; the friend known as "Nationally Televised Game". So, let's do like Hannibal Lecter and have that old friend for dinner. Huge game tonight, folks, so let's do this! Same goals as always; 1-0 every week! So, let's go to 'Frisco, get this W, and get back on the winning track! Haven't done this all year, but we need some extra mojo, so...

LET'S MUTHA****IN' GO, TEXANS!!!!

brakos82

Yaters Gonna Yate.
If it's anything like the two blowouts that I watched last night, nothing good will come of this.

axman40

Hall of Fame
It is going to be a long day so pace yourself!Must go slow on the NEWCASTLE WEREWOLF ALE!
:fans::fans::fans::fans:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
My fear is that we are going to see Schaub (as he put it) "cut loose." And with his limitations a given and unchanged, he will be Hell-bent to prove that his foot, arm and brain are not a problem, in turn leading to a concentration of more WTF moments. This would be especially a worrisome scenario if our rushing game falters.

TejasTom

All Pro
My fear is that we are going to see Schaub (as he put it) "cut loose." And with his limitations a given and unchanged, he will be Hell-bent to prove that his foot, arm and brain are not a problem, in turn leading to a concentration of more WTF moments. This would be especially a worrisome scenario if our rushing game falters.
Way to brighten and already gloomy forecast. Maybe I should just start drinking now...it's a been a few years (or more) since I drank for 12 hours straight.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I see your point, but I fear the opposite. I can see Schaub so concerned to not make a mistake in this game, that he holds on to the ball too long and allows the offense to stagnate.

This is a WCO, which is designed to get the ball out on time. Use the backs and TEs. 160 yards receiving by backs and TEs in the 1st half. 52 yards in the 2nd half and overtime. And everything doesn't have to be play action. Give Schaub a chance to keep his eyes on the defense. If Schaub must be the QB, at least give him the best chance for success.

jaayteetx

All Pro
Matt's play has really depressed me lately but I absolutely love it when everyone is picking against the Texans, I see a dubya tonight...or a complete meltdown.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I see your point, but I fear the opposite. I can see Schaub so concerned to not make a mistake in this game, that he holds on to the ball too long and allows the offense to stagnate.

This is a WCO, which is designed to get the ball out on time. Use the backs and TEs. 160 yards receiving by backs and TEs in the 1st half. 52 yards in the 2nd half and overtime. And everything doesn't have to be play action. Give Schaub a chance to keep his eyes on the defense. If Schaub must be the QB, at least give him the best chance for success.
That would be a strange definition for what he calls "let loose." But nothing would surprise me, as Schaub may have the exact same handle on the English language as he does of the QB position.

I'd be somewhat worried of Schaub without a healthy dose of play action (which he has also lost handle on), in that that would leave him very exposed as a statue waiting for a pigeon to crap on him.

TexansBlood

The CUSH!
Damn it's gonna be a long day.

I think we get back on track. Foster and Tate with over 200 rushing yrds combined.

27-24 Texans

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!...

It ain't over now, 'cause when the goin' gets tough, the tough get goin'. Who's with me? Let's go! Come on!

What the f--k happened to the Texans fans I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest game of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. 'Ooh, we're afraid to go with you, we might get beaten.' Well, just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Kap, he's a dead man! Gore dead! Davis dead!

:koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I'm going to the game with 15 of my friends that are 49er fans. Here's to me being the only happy one driving home from the stadium!

qqert

Rookie
six days a week i criticize matt schaub and gary kubiak.

buton game day, people, get behind your team.

we are going to waaaaaaaar!!!!!!!!!! , ,!!!

TejasTom

All Pro
Officiating crew: Mike Carey

Flip card: Download

Media Guide: Download

Television: NBC (KPRC Ch. 2 locally)
Al Michaels
Cris Collinsworth

Radio: NATIONAL RADIO ON WESTWOOD ONE SPORTS
Kevin Kugler
James Lofton

TEXANS ENGLISH RADIO ON KILT 610-AM and 100.3 FM
Marc Vandermeer
Andre Ware

TEXANS SPANISH RADIO ON UNIVISION AMERICA KLAT 1010 AM
Enrique Vasquez
Jose “JoJo” Padron

bOODRO87

Time Consumer
The calm before the storm.. Has there ever been such a magnified regular season game for Schaub like this one? We usually don't thrive in prime time so here is a great opportunity to gain some trust back.

I want some more Hopkins, Posey, and K-Mart. Spread the F'n ball!

And for all that is good in the world, throw past the first down marker!! Its like Kubiak expects our WRs to turn into Reggie Bush during his USC days with these 5 yard throws in front of the sticks.

gafftop

All Pro
A definite real possibility if GK calls that kind of game. I could see a couple big hits coming.

TejasTom

All Pro
PDS @PatDStat
Two games without Reed,11 pass attempts over 20 yards plus, 2 to middle and 3 right of the field. 231.5 passing yards a game. #Texans
about 2 hours ago

PDS @PatDStat
Two games with Reed. 4 pass attempts over 20 yards plus, 0 to middle and 1 to right of the field. 126 passing yards a game. #Texans
about 2 hours ago

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
Are the Colts and Titans still losing their games right now? Would be nice if we have a chance to create a three-way tie for first place (3-2) atop the AFC South by the end of the night. We could win the division outright by beating the Colts twice and the Titans again - owning those important tiebreakers.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I'm amped up for this game, first time this year I've been able to watch on telly instead of over a ****ty online stream!!

There's plenty of things which have been shaky up to this point, I just think tonight this team needs to make a statement. Win this today and wan suddenly start getting on with the season and aim to peak come January, lose it and things are beginning to look rather worrisome!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm ready to be as negative as the rest of you from kick off to the final 0:00

Bulls on Parade

I'm ready to be as negative as the rest of you from kick off to the final 0:00
No pressure tonight. I'm actually expecting the worst and hoping for the best. Usually I go into every game feeling confident but this way we can only surprise people if we win. I like that underdog mentality.

Bulls on Parade

So the Colts won and Titans lost. The Texans just need to win tonight to keep pace in both the division and wild-card race. I don't want to fall two games behind the Colts this early in the AFC South even though we still play them twice. Never winning at Indianapolis before (0-11 all time) does worry me just a little bit.

Malloy

Hall of Fame
What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!...

It ain't over now, 'cause when the goin' gets tough, the tough get goin'. Who's with me? Let's go! Come on!

What the f--k happened to the Texans fans I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest game of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. 'Ooh, we're afraid to go with you, we might get beaten.' Well, just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Kap, he's a dead man! Gore dead! Davis dead!

You're right. We'll win, cheers y'all!! :)

Showtime100

Got JJ?
While this early in the season I hate saying that, we need to win today. Indy is going to take the division if we do not get our asses in gear.
I certainly can't fault your sentiment.

I don't know, I've always thought they are all must-wins unless you have home field wrapped up. Last season was nothing, if not a reminder of that.

Maybe it's the Houston fan in me, don't know. I remember an Oiler team that went 10-4 and never saw the playoffs unless they bought a ticket.

HJam72

Hall of Fame
I certainly can't fault your sentiment.

I don't know, I've always thought they are all must-wins unless you have home field wrapped up. Last season was nothing, if not a reminder of that.

Maybe it's the Houston fan in me, don't know. I remember an Oiler team that went 10-4 and never saw the playoffs unless they bought a ticket.
Well, them numbskulls shoulda played them last 2 games. :mcnugget: :jk:

Sigma

Veteran

If I recall correctly it was the japanese not the germans :)

I hope they can get on track and start being more dominant!

(I mean the Texans, not the germans :shades:)

Austrian

All Pro
If I recall correctly it was the japanese not the germans :)

I hope they can get on track and start being more dominant!

(I mean the Texans, not the germans :shades:)
That whole German bombed Pearl Harbor thing is a movie reference. The movie is Animal House.