Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2013   #41
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2 moves I would make to improve the team.

I'll give you credit for thinking outside the box and at least trying to improve the team but your trade values are wrong IMO. Your overpaying for Cousins as he's still young and unproven in the long run. I'd give them a 2nd and 4th for a backup QB with potential.

Your way over valuing Tate, no team is going to give up a 2nd and 2015 4th for a guy they can just sign at the end of the year without giving up draft picks. It would give the Browns first shot at re-signing him but he'd still be a FA at the end of the season and free to sign with anyone. Tate would be a half season rental for the Browns, and that's not worth a 2nd and 2015 4th.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #42
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Come On Breh View Post
1. fire joe marciano

2. start case keenum

You cant have both schaub and kubiak and think you have a shot at the superbowl.

You cant have both. That's like having aids and cancer at the same time.

Chances of survival will be slim. Give yourself a chance and get rid of one of them.
^^^^
This

If I got a 3rd thing it would be to sign Casey Hampton.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #43
bash
Rookie

Either fix the O Line and hope it holds for 13 more weeks + playoffs + superbowl

Or

Beef it up the best you can and start the best mobile/accurate QB

------------------------------------------------------------------

Fire Marciano.

No explanation needed, I cringe when I see a KR take it from endzone and end up at the 42 yd line.

or when Randy B. comes out to kick at anything over 25 yds.
bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
Never burned a jersey and I don't see why you have been so rude throughout this thread. Just say you don't agree and back it up with some info, offer another alternative, some pertinent info, anything but insults. .
I agree, the insults are uncalled for.

However, you continue to fail to recognize his basic premise. We're at week 5 of a 17 week, 16 game season. Ben Tate will be an UFA after week 17(more or less), Browns can't stop it without tagging him. Why would they tag him if they just traded Richardson away?

I understand trading for players we would have no chance at getting in FA (you're going to overpay in FA, regardless), but you don't trade for a guy without a contract.
Old 10-03-2013   #45
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree, the insults are uncalled for.

However, you continue to fail to recognize his basic premise. We're at week 5 of a 17 week, 16 game season. Ben Tate will be an UFA after week 17(more or less), Browns can't stop it without tagging him. Why would they tag him if they just traded Richardson away?

I understand trading for players we would have no chance at getting in FA (you're going to overpay in FA, regardless), but you don't trade for a guy without a contract.
Thanks for the feedback. If the Browns would be unable to have a contract in place for Tate to sign before FA begins in March then completely my bad. I always thought that you could sign a player on your roster to a contract extension during the season.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #46
Frankie
noob

Lmfao "breh!" I agree 100. Marciano has got to go. Get rid of the cancer (Schaub), and keep the immune deficiency at bay (Kubiak). Kirk Cousins bro? Don't you think we need more of an ATHLETIC qb? Not to take anything away from cousins, but he's not that dude. If we only had a qb that could run for a first down on a 3rd and long when the defense is giving it to you. We just need any kind of qb with legs, if you think Cousins could do it then bring it. I just want to win like everybody else. If we had an elite qb, we would be UNSTOPPABLE! Personally, I say put the ball in KEENUMS hands this Sunday, not saying this season is a bust already, but with Schaub, we more than likely drop to 2-3 anyway. Develop the hometown boy and let him blossom a Texan before he shines somewhere else. The Flacco comment. Flacco? Flacco? Really!?? Flacco winning a SB gives everybody hope that has a horrible qb at the helm, if he can do it, anyone can. F@#K FAGGO!
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #47
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Can this thread be merged with any one of the other 12 that include ridiculous/stupid/unrealistic ideas?
I don't think it's such a ridiculous idea. I like the idea of trading Tate now. We have an able backup in C. Wood, Tate is headed for free agancy, and nobody in his right mind likes his tendency to fumble at the worst possible time. As for the other trade, we gotta have a QB NOW if we're to have a shot at the playoffs.

I would force the coaches to replace Schaub, and if we get a good one, trade Schaub to Jacksonville for some offensive linemen.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2013   #48
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Fire Kubiak
&
Bench Matt Schaub

That would certainly shake things up if not improve this team. Wade has head coaching experience, no question guys would ball out every weekend. Give Keenum & Yates a chance. We're all sick & tired of underachieving results & laying eggs on prime time because we choose to enable a pair of career back-up's. Let's try a new pair of back-ups, damn that's harsh but true

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #49
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
Lmfao "breh!" I agree 100. Marciano has got to go. Get rid of the cancer (Schaub), and keep the immune deficiency at bay (Kubiak). Kirk Cousins bro? Don't you think we need more of an ATHLETIC qb? Not to take anything away from cousins, but he's not that dude. If we only had a qb that could run for a first down on a 3rd and long when the defense is giving it to you. We just need any kind of qb with legs, if you think Cousins could do it then bring it. I just want to win like everybody else. If we had an elite qb, we would be UNSTOPPABLE! Personally, I say put the ball in KEENUMS hands this Sunday, not saying this season is a bust already, but with Schaub, we more than likely drop to 2-3 anyway. Develop the hometown boy and let him blossom a Texan before he shines somewhere else. The Flacco comment. Flacco? Flacco? Really!?? Flacco winning a SB gives everybody hope that has a horrible qb at the helm, if he can do it, anyone can. F@#K FAGGO!
May God have mercy on your soul, the guys on here are gonna tear you to bits!
Old 10-03-2013   #50
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 58259 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
I don't think it's such a ridiculous idea. I like the idea of trading Tate now. We have an able backup in C. Wood, Tate is headed for free agancy, and nobody in his right mind likes his tendency to fumble at the worst possible time. As for the other trade, we gotta have a QB NOW if we're to have a shot at the playoffs.

I would force the coaches to replace Schaub, and if we get a good one, trade Schaub to Jacksonville for some offensive linemen.
What would you think of Wood after he whiffs in pass pro and get's his QB (which ever one you prefer) sent to IR? Wood showed a lot of upside in PS, but he didn't look great in pass pro, iirc.

It takes two to tango and make trades. What teams do you see out there that appear to be one good RB from making a serious playoff run?

Are you ready to risk the rest of this season on Foster and a rookie RB in the backfield for a middle to late round draft pick? Sometimes it sounds great to "what if" stuff, but you need to look at the big picture and really think about how the team will be better or worse after making a move. Trading Tate means you have to rely on a UDFA rookie to spell Foster, and what do you do if Foster gets hurt? The Texans, realistically, could be the team that's one player short of a serious playoff run. That player just happens to be the starting QB. I would trade Tate for Manning or Rodgers or Brady, but not for a draft pick. We need him too much this season.
Old 10-03-2013   #51
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Fix the oline...it doesn't matter who the QB is if we continue to have poor line play its just going to end up with more poor QB play. If we had a mobile QB he would be forced to run and a QB running would be a target for more hits and a risk of being injured just like Schaub the statue.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #52
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think either of these two moves would be ridiculous. A rookie QB isn't going to be familiar with they system we, and Washington, run. He'd be light years ahead. Young, mobile, not shell shocked.

I don't see moving Ben as giving up on the season. He's easily one of my favorite players but if you can get something you get it. In the hypothetical Browns trade, a contract extension would be part of the deal. No extension means no trade. I can see how that might pry a pick from Cleveland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. If the Browns would be unable to have a contract in place for Tate to sign before FA begins in March then completely my bad. I always thought that you could sign a player on your roster to a contract extension during the season.
They could. But they'll be competing with what Tate & his agent thinks his value is on the open market, which is what they were trying to avoid by trading for him remember? He's not required to sign anything & they can't stop him from talking to other teams unless they franchise tag him.

The Browns would be able to tag him & if the tag number is equal to or less than what they would offer him, it's an option for them. I think the tag for a RB is $8M...... I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay him $8M.

The only way I can imagine Tate signing with the Browns before FA would be if he experienced another set back, wasn't able to put together a strong season & accepted a long term deal with the Browns with the understanding that he'd be the starter if he's healthy.
Old 10-03-2013   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Fix the oline...it doesn't matter who the QB is if we continue to have poor line play its just going to end up with more poor QB play. If we had a mobile QB he would be forced to run and a QB running would be a target for more hits and a risk of being injured just like Schaub the statue.
You should have been watching the Texans game this past Sunday. Russell Wilson had three guys on his OL that couldn't block for crap..... I mean Brooks Reed got a sack. But Wilson found a way to win the game any way
Old 10-03-2013   #55
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 58259 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I don't think either of these two moves would be ridiculous. A rookie QB isn't going to be familiar with they system we, and Washington, run. He'd be light years ahead. Young, mobile, not shell shocked.

I don't see moving Ben as giving up on the season. He's easily one of my favorite players but if you can get something you get it. In the hypothetical Browns trade, a contract extension would be part of the deal. No extension means no trade. I can see how that might pry a pick from Cleveland.
And you also don't think a rookie QB, with no PS experience in a system would be overwhelmed. Might want to check that date on your crab cakes. YIKES!!!! Wait...were you being facetious?
Old 10-04-2013   #56
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3967 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would do 2 things in no particular order.

Trade for Kirk Cousins - I know that there are a lot of people who would like to see Case Keenum play but I think that Cousins is a very good quarterback with a lot of upside and I would put together a very attractive offer at in order to obtain his services. W/O a very good quarterback you cannot win the Super Bowl in just about all cases. Cousins knows the system, has helped RG3 with his progress, and has looked very good against first team competition during the regular season. The Redskins know that Cousins will be long gone once his contract is up and would be foolish to turn down lets say a 1st and 2nd round pick.

Much like Kirk Cousins, Ben Tate will be long gone after his contract is up and the Browns will be looking to sign him during free agency. I would trade him for a second and and third or fourth round pick in the 2015 draft, not the 2014 draft because I suspect the Browns will be looking to package draft picks in order to move up in order to land a top signal caller. This way the Browns will not have to fight for his services once he hits the free market.

Feedback...thanks.
Feedback....?

You lost me at a 1st & 2nd for kirk cousins...

LOL!!!

SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #57
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing is going to happen the rest of the season to anyone. Kubiak will remain the HC until the season is over and Schaub will continue to start. Schaub will undoubtedly have a few good games, enough to keep him in the drivers seat.

2014 rinse and repeat. We just have to hope for the best with what we got. I'd love nothing more than to be rid of Kubiak and Schaub, but it just isn't gonna happen.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #58
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Do the Texans even have the necessary cap space to make an impact trade before the trade deadline coming up at the end of the month on October 29? Can we even sign Josh Freeman as a free agent right now? It would have to be close to a minimum salary I'm guessing? Or how much can he realistically be offered if the Texans choose to take a look at him for the remainder of the season?

Also, I'm hoping Case Keenum can still be moved back to the practice squad or would he have to clear waivers first? I guess another team would probably sign him because he sure did light it up in the preseason. We have another Matt Flynn, aka Mr. Preseason in Case Keenum. Woah! Similar sizes too. Flynn is 6'2 and Keenum is 6'1. I'd argue he's more like 5'10 though. That's why those guys fell in the draft (lack of size). Flynn was a 7th round pick and Keenum of course was undrafted.

I feel like Josh Freeman is a legitimate NFL starting caliber QB with the size and arm strength to succeed. His seasons in 2010 and 2012 prove he's very capable of putting up some nice numbers. He's worth taking a look at if nothing else. It's not like our current QB depth is anything to glamour over. Yates and Keenum don't exactly strike fear into opposing NFL defenses. Other teams may beat us to the punch on Josh Freeman I guess.
Old 10-04-2013   #59
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
And you also don't think a rookie QB, with no PS experience in a system would be overwhelmed. Might want to check that date on your crab cakes. YIKES!!!! Wait...were you being facetious?
Which "rookie QB, with no PS experience" are you talking about Doc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #60
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Which "rookie QB, with no PS experience" are you talking about Doc?
He's saying Case is his guy and will be the better option that's the answer to everything
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read