Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2013   #1
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2 moves I would make to improve the team.

I would do 2 things in no particular order.

Trade for Kirk Cousins - I know that there are a lot of people who would like to see Case Keenum play but I think that Cousins is a very good quarterback with a lot of upside and I would put together a very attractive offer at in order to obtain his services. W/O a very good quarterback you cannot win the Super Bowl in just about all cases. Cousins knows the system, has helped RG3 with his progress, and has looked very good against first team competition during the regular season. The Redskins know that Cousins will be long gone once his contract is up and would be foolish to turn down lets say a 1st and 2nd round pick.

Much like Kirk Cousins, Ben Tate will be long gone after his contract is up and the Browns will be looking to sign him during free agency. I would trade him for a second and and third or fourth round pick in the 2015 draft, not the 2014 draft because I suspect the Browns will be looking to package draft picks in order to move up in order to land a top signal caller. This way the Browns will not have to fight for his services once he hits the free market.

Feedback...thanks.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #2
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2 moves I would make to improve the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post

Trade for Kirk Cousins - I know that there are a lot of people who would like to see Case Keenum play but I think that Cousins is a very good quarterback with a lot of upside and I would put together a very attractive offer at in order to obtain his services. W/O a very good quarterback you cannot win the Super Bowl in just about all cases. Cousins knows the system, has helped RG3 with his progress, and has looked very good against first team competition during the regular season. The Redskins know that Cousins will be long gone once his contract is up and would be foolish to turn down lets say a 1st and 2nd round pick.

Much like Kirk Cousins, Ben Tate will be long gone after his contract is up and the Browns will be looking to sign him during free agency. I would trade him for a second and and third or fourth round pick in the 2015 draft, not the 2014 draft because I suspect the Browns will be looking to package draft picks in order to move up in order to land a top signal caller. This way the Browns will not have to fight for his services once he hits the free market.

Feedback...thanks.

I dont think the skins are going to give him up taking into account RGIII's playing style
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #3
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Feedback...thanks.
So when exactly would you do these trades? I wouldn't mind a trade for Cousins in the off season. Trading Tate now is showing that we're giving up on this season... there's no way we will, nor should, give up on this season until we're mathematically eliminated.

Also, I highly doubt a team will give up a 2nd and 4th for Tate, considering he's a FA after this season.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #4
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe the trade deadline Oct. 29, 4 p.m. ET.
Old 10-03-2013   #5
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Feedback...thanks.
Also, Flacco has proven you still can win a SB w/o being a very good QB.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #6
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78642 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Can this thread be merged with any one of the other 12 that include ridiculous/stupid/unrealistic ideas?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #7
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Also, Flacco has proven you still can win a SB w/o being a very good QB.
He was during the playoffs. I just can't see us winning it all with Schuab because for him to be effective he has to have a clean pocket. Guys get in his face and he does not possess the ability to extend plays. He either throws it away, dumps it off to a RB when other OBs would be moving around in the pocket with their eyes down field, or makes a mistake. We could win it all with Schaub but he has to have an excellent, I mean really damn good OL in order to succeed.
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2013   #8
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Can this thread be merged with any one of the other 12 that include ridiculous/stupid/unrealistic ideas?
Probably stupid given the conservative nature of the FO, but I guess you saw the Trent Richardson move coming right...
Old 10-03-2013   #9
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Probably stupid given the conservative nature of the FO, but I guess you saw the Trent Richardson move coming right...
Because Browns = Texans? Maybe we should trade for Bryan Hoyer instead?
Old 10-03-2013   #10
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Cousins is under contract till 2015, total contract like 2.5 mil. Cheap insurance for when RG3 goes down again (most likely with his style of play). A first & second may perk up the Skins' ears, but I've heard the upcoming draft is good for QB's... so not sure Texans would give selections 1 & 2 up unless Cousins is that much better than anything that could be had in the first round.

Tate, agree with Dream above - on both the "giving up" and teams most likely wait till FA (unless they also just need a RB and see nothing better in the draft)
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #11
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78642 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who in their right mind would trade for Tate for a 12 game rental? The browns are not contending and they know it. They can sign him for no loss of draft picks next year. Picks they need to rebuild.

Cousins. Really? What has he shown to warrant any kind of trade? Not a huge step up from yates honestly. Why would Washington get rid of him when their starter is 1 light shot to the knee away from being out the year?

Yes, just plain dumb/unrealistic ideas period and we don't need another thread devoted to this fantasy land thinking
Old 10-03-2013   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Feedback...thanks.
I doubt the Skins move Cousins and have to wonder , if they did , how long it would take for him to come in and take over the offense and be capable of winning games.

As for moving Tate , that doesn't make the team any better RIGHT NOW in the midst of a season we have our sights set on a superbowl. Long term .... sure it might help , but not today or in week 17 not in the playoffs.

The team is in Win Now Mode ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #13
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
Cousins is under contract till 2015, total contract like 2.5 mil. Cheap insurance for when RG3 goes down again (most likely with his style of play). A first & second may perk up the Skins' ears, but I've heard the upcoming draft is good for QB's... so not sure Texans would give selections 1 & 2 up unless Cousins is that much better than anything that could be had in the first round.

Tate, agree with Dream above - on both the "giving up" and teams most likely wait till FA (unless they also just need a RB and see nothing better in the draft)
The Browns want Tate, it has been reported, and the chances of them getting him once he hits the open market will diminish substantially. There will be a lot of teams after him. I agree with you on Cousins. That would be a much more difficult deal to complete based of RG3's style of play but we have strong connections with the Redskins coaching staff and I think that would help. It would still be a hard deal to make.
Old 10-03-2013   #14
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Cousins didn't really impress me when RG3 went down, outside of 1 game maybe? Memory kinda cloudy. I'm sure Shanahan isn't in a big rush to help out his protoge anyways. Who/what do you give up?

I would trade Tate for a RT. Koobs isn't playing him anyways, 1/3 of the carries is a joke considering the talent, I heard Tate gave an interview that gave off the impression he was gone after the season so why not get something for him?
Old 10-03-2013   #15
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The Browns want Tate, it has been reported, and the chances of them getting him once he hits the open market will diminish substantially. There will be a lot of teams after him. I agree with you on Cousins. That would be a much more difficult deal to complete based of RG3's style of play but we have strong connections with the Redskins coaching staff and I think that would help. It would still be a hard deal to make.
lol wow! It has been rumored not reported, big difference. How is getting him in free agency going diminish their chances? they have lots of cap room and Tate will sign with whoever pays him the most. Trading for him when he is in the final year of his contract would be even dumber than your "hard to get" argument.
Old 10-03-2013   #16
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I doubt the Skins move Cousins and have to wonder , if they did , how long it would take for him to come in and take over the offense and be capable of winning games.

As for moving Tate , that doesn't make the team any better RIGHT NOW in the midst of a season we have our sights set on a superbowl. Long term .... sure it might help , but not today or in week 17 not in the playoffs.

The team is in Win Now Mode ....
Cousins has shown the ability to play very well during the regular season and I just don't see us winning the Super Bowl this season with Schuab at QB and the Broncos playing at such a high level I would try to get something for Tate while we still can.
Old 10-03-2013   #17
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
lol wow! It has been rumored not reported, big difference. How is getting him in free agency going diminish their chances? they have lots of cap room and Tate will sign with whoever pays him the most. Trading for him when he is in the final year of his contract would be even dumber than your "hard to get" argument.
When Tate hits the open market there will be more than the Browns going after him. This way they could make sure they got him. He will be a very hot commodity when he hits the open market.http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/97...le-source-says
Old 10-03-2013   #18
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Cousins didn't really impress me when RG3 went down, outside of 1 game maybe? Memory kinda cloudy. I'm sure Shanahan isn't in a big rush to help out his protoge anyways. Who/what do you give up?

I would trade Tate for a RT. Koobs isn't playing him anyways, 1/3 of the carries is a joke considering the talent, I heard Tate gave an interview that gave off the impression he was gone after the season so why not get something for him?
Draft pick(s)
Old 10-03-2013   #19
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Feedback...thanks.

(ahem)

"It doesn't Matter what you think!"

Duane "The Rock" Johnson

Just messin' with ya. Sorry man, but you set yourself up for that.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #20
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
When Tate hits the open market there will be more than the Browns going after him. This way they could make sure they got him. He will be a very hot commodity when he hits the open market.http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/97...le-source-says
You just destroy your own argument! WHY WASTE A DRAFT PICK WHEN HE IS A FREE AGENT NEXT YEAR!? There is just as much chance he will not resign as there is they can sign him as a FA.

Yes I know they can tag him but no wants to pay a RB that much all at once. You have no clue how the NFL works.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read