Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-19-2013   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default #5 Florida State @ #3 Clemson 2013 Matchup

#5 Florida State @ #3 Clemson

8 PM EST

PREVIEW

Quote:
CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) -- After Clemson's great escape against Boston College, the third-ranked Tigers can finally focus on No. 5 Florida State and the Atlantic Coast Conference's first top-five showdown in eight years.

"It may be the biggest game in ACC history. We don't know," said defensive end Vic Beasley, who had a big scoop-and-score TD in the Tigers' 24-14 victory Saturday. "But our goal is to win a national championship."

It's the league's first matchup of top-five teams since No. 5 Miami defeated third-ranked Virginia Tech 27-7 in 2005. And Saturday night's winner in Death Valley will have another impressive line on its resume for the hunt for the national title.

"Obviously, we know it's a big game, got a lot of national relevance, conference relevance and all that," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said Sunday.

The Seminoles (5-0, 3-0) are well rested and confident, coming off a 63-0 victory over Maryland and then an open date last weekend. Clemson needed a pair of fourth-quarter touchdowns to remain undefeated.

Tajh Boyd rushed for a 6-yard score with 13:44 left to put the Tigers (6-0, 4-0) ahead for good. Linebacker Tony Steward sacked Eagles quarterback Chase Rettig, who coughed up the ball into Beasley's waiting arms for a 13-yard touchdown.

When the final seconds ticked off, Clemson's players could finally do what many fans have since the Tigers opened with a 38-35 victory over then fifth-ranked Georgia on Aug. 31 -- talk about Florida State.

"Last year they got us, but I feel like we should have won. We're looking for payback," said Beasley, who has a career-best nine sacks so far this season.

Clemson was ahead 27-13 in Tallahassee last season in another top-10 matchup when the Seminoles rallied for a 49-37 victory.
I can't tell you how pumped I am for this game. It is the biggest ACC game in a long time and the first top 5 matchup of the college football season. Both programs have a great team this time around and it should be a fun game to watch. NFL talent will be on display all over the field in this one.

For the Florida State offense, it starts with redshirt freshman QB Jameis Winston. If you haven't had a chance to watch this guy play, do your self a favor and watch his first big game tonight. The guy is having a fantastic season. In five games he has thrown for 1,441 yards at 11.72 yards per attempt and a 73% completion rate. He has thrown 17 touchdowns to only 2 interceptions, and also has 2 TDs on the ground. We'll see how he plays in this one.

Watch out for LT Cameron Erving, WRs Kenny Shaw, Kelvin Benjamin, and Rashad Greene, RBs James Wilder, Devonta Freeman, and Karlos Williams when Florida State is on offense. Williams was the #1 safety coming out of high school and just recently moved to RB. He ran for a 60-something yard TD on his first career carry. That guy is explosive and could be a difference maker in this game. On defense, #7 Christian Jones is a heck of an ILB. If you are scouting inside linebackers for the Texans this year, check this guy out. He fits the 3-4 ILB role perfectly. DT Timmy Jernigan is another projected first rounder to watch.

For Clemson, it's all about QB Tajh Boyd, WR Sammy Watkins, and pass rusher Vic Beasley. Boyd has thrown for 1,783 yards at 9.64 yards per attempt and a 66.5% completion percentage through six games. He has thrown for 15 touchdowns to only 2 interceptions, and has also run for 5 TDs. I expect Boyd and Watkins (582 yards and 4 TDs) to be effective. FSU has some nice players in the secondary, but almost all of them are young and relatively inexperienced. The Beasley vs. Erving matchup should also be intriguing as both are projected first rounders.

Go Noles!
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: #5 Florida State @ #3 Clemson 2013 Matchup

I'll be watching. I'm not a huge college football watcher, but I do like to catch the big games. I've seen bits and pieces if these guys play and I'm interested in the qb match up more than anything else.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #3
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 159304 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I'll b watching too. Since I don't have a dog in the fight I'll pull for the 'Noles in TS's honor. Good luck. Should be a good one.
Old 10-19-2013   #4
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61508 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Players to Watch

CLEMSON

#10 Tajh Boyd, QB (could be Texans next QB)
#2 Sammy Watkins, WR (Jr)
#3 Vic Beasley, DE (Jr) Nat'l Sack Leader (9)

FLORIDA STATE

#7 Christian Jones, ILB
#20 Lamarcus Joyner, FS
#75 Erving Cameron, OT (Jr)
#54 Tre Jackson, OG (Jr)
#8 Timmy Jernigan, DT (Jr)
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

TS, the Noles are going to win this one. Clemson (Dabo Swinney, What adult goes by Dabo?) always chokesin big games.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Bill Murray was today’s celebrity picker on College GameDay and he used that opportunity to beat the crap out of 77-year-old Lee Corso. Then, for good measure, he threw a spear into the crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoIu5WghtUU

http://guyism.com/sports/bill-murray...ars-crowd.html

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209558 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I cant wait for this matchup .... this one could be as good as the Clemson Georgia game in week one.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2013   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I cant wait for this matchup .... this one could be as good as the Clemson Georgia game in week one.
You'd think so. I've truly enjoyed watching Georgia play in some great games this year.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209558 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
You'd think so. I've truly enjoyed watching Georgia play in some great games this year.
That had to be a hard loss for them today .... just so many guy's hurt at the skill positions on offense. They hardly look like the same team from earlier in the year.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
TS, the Noles are going to win this one. Clemson (Dabo Swinney, What adult goes by Dabo?) always chokesin big games.
I hope you're right. Clemson has won some big games in the past two years.
Old 10-19-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Did you see that catch by Benjamin?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

That throw that Winston made to O'Leary just shows you his confidence. Risky throw because if it isn't thrown with pinpoint accuracy, it's a pick and maybe six.
Old 10-19-2013   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sold on Winston. Dude is legit.

He would look so good in a texans uni.
Old 10-19-2013   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
That throw that Winston made to O'Leary just shows you his confidence. Risky throw because if it isn't thrown with pinpoint accuracy, it's a pick and maybe six.
The thing that caught my attention so far is that he makes a lot of adjustments at the line.

I think he's even making some dummy calls. That's impressive for a freshman.

And then the physical ability. Good pocket presence.

He's shown to be the total package this year. I'm sure he has some weaknesses, but I honestly haven't seen them.
Old 10-19-2013   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Just looking at their faces....Boyd looks more frazzled than Winston.
Old 10-19-2013   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 259047 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Just tuned in. Boyd doesn't look good.
Old 10-19-2013   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Just tuned in. Boyd doesn't look good.
He has looked a bit frazzled. Good drive by him and their offense right there though.

Time for some more Jaboo!

Just noticed that Rey and I both said frazzled. Kirk is saying erratic.
Old 10-19-2013   #18
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Winston looks more comfortable in death valley than Boyd looks....great drive to keep his team in it though...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

That was not what we needed. Miscommunication. I like what Shaw was doing, not sure Winston read that properly.
Old 10-19-2013   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

I'm curious as to how many schools blare music through their speakers on third down? A band playing is one thing, using your stadium speakers is another. I've never noticed it before.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read