Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-22-2013   #61
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
No quarterback ?! Do you think Keenum is the long term solution that gives you a shot at winning a superbowl ?! He played a solid game against KC but Im still not sold that he's the solution.
i dont know. right now i say keenum is our guy. i absolutely think he has what it takes to be our quarterback, and could be a great one, but only time will tell. as of right now (assuming kubiak doesnt revert back to schaub), i think we are very well off at quarterback. to be honest, i think that we can win it all with a healthy schaub if those two areas are addressed, keenum being a stud as i predict it is just a bonus.

kubiak's offense is predicated on a symbiotic offensive line. wade's defense is wholly dependent on it's linebackers. we have all-world talent on this team in every area but the ones that matter. we've been grabbing players for both with a ton of failures, including a pair of OLB busts this year. to me it really doesnt matter what else we do, if we dont address the offensive line and linebackers we wont be successful.
Old 10-22-2013   #62
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

As of today, October 22, 2013 The Texans have the 5th pick in the 2014 Draft:

http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #63
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
As of today, October 22, 2013 The Texans have the 5th pick in the 2014 Draft:

That sure would be nice, but we play the Jags twice, and unless we intentionally lose, I think we are at least a 4 win team this year. We also play the Raiders, who will be hard to lose to. I think we will be picking in the 8-12 spot this year, which is just a bit out of reach of the top QBs and OTs.
Old 10-22-2013   #64
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Of those three , the only one I like is Bridgewater .... think Hundley needs another year or two and Mariota .... just isn't accurate enough.

Not only do you have to think about trading back , you have to consider trading up to get your guy at QB , even if its making the move to #1.

Same here , I prefer Murray over McCarron and think either could be had in the second assuming the underclassmen thought to be taken earlier all declare. If one or more stays in school another year , that could change the complexion of the draft.
If Gary lets Keenum play out the yr and Case proves he can be the guy and the Texans end up picking in the 10-15 range. (Which is where they probably where they will be picking) I would try to trade down. But If that's not possible my picks would be

Rd.1 Cameron Erving, Has a nasty streak can play RT/LT former DT, he absolutely dominated Beasley last Saturday
Rd.2 Van Noy or Murphy, and I would trade back into the bottom end of the 1st to get them. Best pass russhers in the draft.
Rd. 4 Shane Skov, Smart instinctive ILB would provide depth behind Cushing and Reed after Reed's moved inside.
Rd.5 Best Ol available, provided that he was BPA.

There are too many things wrong with the Texans roster to fix everything in one yr. So concentrate on fixing the OL and LB's this yr and move on to DL and DB's next yr. It's kinda sad that after 8 yrs of roster building that BoB/Rick/Gary's team has so many holes and so little depth.

Of course if Keenum isn't the guy then QB becomes priority #1. McCarron would be my pick of the late 1st early 2nd rd guys. He's got size, arm strength, good enough mobility and plays well under pressure. I look at the fact that he has won NC's as a plus. Not as he played with great talent so he must not be that good. Somebody had to lead that team and MCarron has done a great job. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #65
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

predict the 13th spot & another Watt like impact player

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #66
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I don't like this year's crop of QBs, to be honest. I think a couple of them could pan out to be very good, but I don't see a top end high talent guy like Luck, for instance. I think whoever comes out this year will need a little seasoning. Murray could be the best of the bunch of he were given the right opportunity, but he won't get it because he's 6' tall. Not sold on Boyd, not sold on Bridgewater. Haven't seen enough of Mariota yet, though. If the Texans pick high in the draft, I would rather they look at the top of the 2nd rd for a QB.

One guy that I believe will end up going higher than people think right now, and one I wouldn't mind the Texans going after, is Tim Flanders. I know it's not one of the team's glaring weaknesses (yet), but Tate's leaving and I'm not 100% sold that Foster is not another example of the Larry Johnson syndrome. If it turns out that Keenum plays out the string well, then maybe go QB in the 2nd or even 3rd, with a couple OL in the first 4 rounds.

Crazy, I know, but I like Flanders. Plus, we could nickname him Ned.
Old 10-27-2013   #67
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I don't like this year's crop of QBs, to be honest. I think a couple of them could pan out to be very good, but I don't see a top end high talent guy like Luck, for instance. I think whoever comes out this year will need a little seasoning.
I agree but I love Manzel. I know a lot of people are down on him but he is the only QB that has a chance to make it to our pick that I wouldn't pass up.

As far as what position I think we should go after with iour first rounder, give me Manzel or Best.Defensive.Player.Available.

On a side note. Why does everyone here just ignore the DT position? A lot of this defensive problems could be masked if we had a quality DT that could comand double teams and push the pocket.
Old 10-27-2013   #68
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

If the draft were today I would take Johnny Manziel if he comes out and is available. Manziel is a cross between Fran Takenton and Bret Farve.

If Manziel is not available I would take Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford.
Old 10-28-2013   #69
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Nix or Mack
Old 10-28-2013   #70
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Nix or Mack
Don't over look Ryan Carrether from Ark St who could be available later in draft and compare favorably to Nix. I love Nix but if I could get a run plugger to collapse pocket and use first elsewhere, that is way I'm going. He has lost weight and really is cranking it up.
Old 10-28-2013   #71
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Don't over look Ryan Carrether from Ark St who could be available later in draft and compare favorably to Nix. I love Nix but if I could get a run plugger to collapse pocket and use first elsewhere, that is way I'm going. He has lost weight and really is cranking it up.
This is good news, Carrethers has gotten better this yr? He has always had lack of stamina issues. He definitely has talent. I didn't watch him this yr. I did see some of him last yr. He was impressive.

If he has gotten better I wouldn't wait until the 3rd for him. I would pick him in the 2nd. Big men that can move are hard to find. Do you have any links for this yr for him?
Old 10-29-2013   #72
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Without winning or losing during our bye week, we have moved down a couple spots to #7.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #73
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Without winning or losing during our bye week, we have moved down a couple spots to #7.
October 29th, = 8th
Old 10-29-2013   #74
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Old 10-29-2013   #75
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
If the draft were today I would take Johnny Manziel if he comes out and is available. Manziel is a cross between Fran Takenton and Bret Farve.

If Manziel is not available I would take Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford.
Agreed on Manziel, he's a pit bull playing QB.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #76
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Nix for me.

I like manziel though. There are some concerns but if kubiak is coach I think he could help him out a lot. And he'd give this team a needed edge.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #77
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
On a side note. Why does everyone here just ignore the DT position?
Because we can be taught. We excel at pattern recognition. The Texans routinely ignore the DT position, so predicting it in a mock draft is very likely a wrong pick.
Old 10-29-2013   #78
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

A little more academic than anything, now that we've dropped to #7/8th overall, but BattleRedBlog had a mock of the first round. The first four picks were QBs (Bridgewater, Mariota, Boyd, and Hundley), followed by the Texans took Clowney at #5 overall before trading back into the tail end of the first for Stephen Morris out of Miami.

I'm stilling riding the irrational Manziel draft crush wave, but I wouldn't mind Morris (though perhaps without trading up so much to get him). Getting Clowney and pairing him with Watt would be a little ridiculous.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #79
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
A little more academic than anything, now that we've dropped to #7/8th overall, but BattleRedBlog had a mock of the first round. The first four picks were QBs (Bridgewater, Mariota, Boyd, and Hundley), followed by the Texans took Clowney at #5 overall before trading back into the tail end of the first for Stephen Morris out of Miami.

I'm stilling riding the irrational Manziel draft crush wave, but I wouldn't mind Morris (though perhaps without trading up so much to get him). Getting Clowney and pairing him with Watt would be a little ridiculous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

That's how I feel about Morris. Kid should not be taken in the first round. Third, sure. But every time I watch Miami I come away thinking about how many throws he just misses.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #80
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 139289 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we're looking for later round QBs, we might as well go with Murray in the 3rd or develop Mannion after nabbing him in the 4th or 5th.

If we're going QB in the first round, it has to be Hundley or Manziel. Both are not immediate starters because Hundley is very raw and Manziel needs to work on being a pocket passer more (which is why I'd like him to stay one more year under Sumlin, but it's not happening). I'm not impressed by Boyd anymore and Mariota... well, Chip Kelly's going to want him.

Because I don't think we go QB in the first round (unless Keenum happens to suck it up for the rest of the season or something) I'd like us to get Nix from ND or Ha-Ha Dix out of Bama. Those would be impact defensive players. If we could get Clowney I would flip **** too.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read