Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-02-2013   #561
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
to the question at hand, i'm still on board with matthews. if quess can replace smith (shouldnt be hard), right tackle is the only hole on offense unless keenum faceplants in these remaining games. shore up that position with a near "cant miss" for the next 10 years. who cares if it's a lower tier position, if you can add a lifer as a bookend you do it IMO.

my ideal scenario would be finishing first with teams thinking we're after the top quarterback (which we may be). trade down a spot or two for an extra pick and take matthews. then use the next two on defense - linebacker positions preferably. hit on matthews, and get at least starting quality players with the next two would alter this team drastically.
The new coach may run a new scheme , besides why does everyone think Q is the answer to all questions .
Old 12-02-2013   #562
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

If you want to see why QB is so important then just look at Indy's record the last couple of years when the only position they significantly upgraded is QB.

To win in this league you have to be strong at QB, OL, DL, and DB. Not necessarily in that order, but some combination of talent in those areas is required.

You don't have to have an elite QB, but your QB needs to be able to win you games. Your OL needs to be able to protect your QB, and open up holes for your running game when necessary. Your DL must be able to pressure the QB. Your DBs must be able to disrupt the passing game or create turnovers.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #563
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
to the question at hand, i'm still on board with matthews. if quess can replace smith (shouldnt be hard), right tackle is the only hole on offense unless keenum faceplants in these remaining games. shore up that position with a near "cant miss" for the next 10 years. who cares if it's a lower tier position, if you can add a lifer as a bookend you do it IMO.

my ideal scenario would be finishing first with teams thinking we're after the top quarterback (which we may be). trade down a spot or two for an extra pick and take matthews. then use the next two on defense - linebacker positions preferably. hit on matthews, and get at least starting quality players with the next two would alter this team drastically.
If Mathews is the pick we better move down. His name has him rated higher than he should be. Right now his play hasn't been dominate like a top ten OT should be.
Old 12-02-2013   #564
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
If Mathews is the pick we better move down. His name has him rated higher than he should be. Right now his play hasn't been dominate like a top ten OT should be.
Agree, there a couple of more athletic OTs than Matthews based on what I have watched, just this weekend alone. Kouandjio and Irving are 2 names that come to mind.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #565
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Now that we are in the drivers seat regarding the 2014 draft, my whole approach to it has changed. Teddy Bridgewater in the 1st because without a high quality QB we ain't going anywhere, best OT available in the 2nd and I'm not opposed to trading up if someone good falls into the late 1st. We've got to protect our new QB investment and improve our overall O-line. From the 3rd round on, take the best available defensive player regardless of position. There will be good players that fall in every round, it happens every year, take the best available defensive players. We have needs at every defensive spot there is, so filling them with BPA should be easy. According to CBS new prospect rankings posted 12-02-13, many previously highly ranked players have fallen at CB, OG, ILB, DT, etc...
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #566
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I get that people are she'll shocked about the oline, but if we go RT in the 1st or 2nd and we don't address our pass rush with a really good player in free agency or early in the draft that will be a mistake.

Texans absolutely have to add some top end talent to that defense.

I know people don't want to hear this, but as bad as newton has been at times, RT can be addressed a little later in the draft or with a solid yet unspectacular free agent signing.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #567
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Now that we are in the drivers seat regarding the 2014 draft, my whole approach to it has changed. Teddy Bridgewater in the 1st because without a high quality QB we ain't going anywhere, best OT available in the 2nd and I'm not opposed to trading up if someone good falls into the late 1st. We've got to protect our new QB investment and improve our overall O-line. From the 3rd round on, take the best available defensive player regardless of position. There will be good players that fall in every round, it happens every year, take the best available defensive players. We have needs at every defensive spot there is, so filling them with BPA should be easy. According to CBS new prospect rankings posted 12-02-13, many previously highly ranked players have fallen at CB, OG, ILB, DT, etc...
I could get on board with this if I believed Bridgewater was worth 1-1. Give me Clowney at 1-1, then Mettenberger (Impressed me with his toughness/elite arm strength/pro ready offense) or Bortles (who has the same type arm strength/mobility skills as Bridgewater,) late in the 1st or at 2-1.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2013   #568
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I could get on board with this if I believed Bridgewater was worth 1-1. Give me Clowney at 1-1, then Mettenberger (Impressed me with his toughness/elite arm strength/pro ready offense) or Bortles (who has the same type arm strength/mobility skills as Bridgewater,) late in the 1st or at 2-1.
creepy how you and i have been on the same page as of late. I believe Bridgewater is the best qb prospect, but i can see why folks might be hesistant to take him 1st overall....Especially with a Jevon Kearse like prospect in Clowney sitting right there. I like Mettenberger alot more than most on here as well so the bolded is the best case scenario in my mind...you could maybe interchange mettenberger out with Bortles or Murray & i'd be ok with that as well.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #569
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Given Clowney's talent, I can see the argument to pass on Bridgewater at #1. Teddy is the closest QB in this draft to a sure thing, but he's not a guarantee.

I'm not super high on Mettenberger for right now, but I think he has a ton of upside. I would not want him starting next year though. He would get killed. Take him in the second or late in the first and coach him up. That would mean signing a vet to compete with Keenum and letting both Schaub and Yates go while Mettenberger carries a clipboard.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #570
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Given Clowney's talent, I can see the argument to pass on Bridgewater at #1. Teddy is the closest QB in this draft to a sure thing, but he's not a guarantee.

I'm not super high on Mettenberger for right now, but I think he has a ton of upside. I would not want him starting next year though. He would get killed. Take him in the second or late in the first and coach him up. That would mean signing a vet to compete with Keenum and letting both Schaub and Yates go while Mettenberger carries a clipboard.
Cutler.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #571
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Cutler.

They dont have the cap room to sign Cutler if the Bears were to let him go. (Doubtful) They could sign Cutler if they let JoJo and Schaub go. This would remove the need to draft a QB high and put the Texans in the drivers seat for this draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #572
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
They dont have the cap room to sign Cutler if the Bears were to let him go. (Doubtful) They could sign Cutler if they let JoJo and Schaub go. This would remove the need to draft a QB high and put the Texans in the drivers seat for this draft.
I think maybe he's saying Mettenberger = Cutler...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #573
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I get that people are she'll shocked about the oline, but if we go RT in the 1st or 2nd and we don't address our pass rush with a really good player in free agency or early in the draft that will be a mistake.

Texans absolutely have to add some top end talent to that defense.

I know people don't want to hear this, but as bad as newton has been at times, RT can be addressed a little later in the draft or with a solid yet unspectacular free agent signing.
To me the OL needs a LG and A RT . The RT may be on the IR and depending on the new coach , little guards may have run their course .

The defense is an oddity because you have the defensive player of the year getting all the attention and nobody else can't get to the QB . A 3-4 without a beast OLB is puny .

QB is always the elephant in the room because if you possess a franchise one , your worries are much less . Nobody can cover for average/inexperienced players like a franshise QB or a monster pass rusher . The problem is , both of these positions are highly sought after and you hardly ever see them as FAs or lower round draft picks . I think an elite pass rusher comes with an athletic skill set that can be measured unlike a QB because numbers don't always translate into a great QB .

Therefore my picks

1. Clowney
2 QB
3.Yankey
Old 12-04-2013   #574
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I think maybe he's saying Mettenberger = Cutler...
mettenberger tore is ACL

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...ger-tears-acl/
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #575
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
That sucks because him and Murray really could have used the Senior Bowl to boost their stock.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #576
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
That sucks because him and Murray really could have used the Senior Bowl to boost their stock.
This is better than a cyber monday sale if you like one of the two .
Old 12-05-2013   #577
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

So would you take a very good but not elite QB over an elite DE?

As an exercise, would you take someone like a Matt Ryan/Jay Cutler over a JJ Watt/Julius Peppers?
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #578
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 28959 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
creepy how you and i have been on the same page as of late. I believe Bridgewater is the best qb prospect, but i can see why folks might be hesistant to take him 1st overall....Especially with a Jevon Kearse like prospect in Clowney sitting right there. I like Mettenberger alot more than most on here as well so the bolded is the best case scenario in my mind...you could maybe interchange mettenberger out with Bortles or Murray & i'd be ok with that as well.
I think I'm right with you here. Take Clowney 1-1 - then if you can snag Mettenberger or Bortles in the 2nd, you're golden. I would take Bortles over Mettenberger, if I had my druthers (if he declares). At the worst (or maybe best) you're getting McCarron, Murray or Boyd in the 2nd.

I just see it as a win-win by not taking Bridgewater 1-1 and shooting for another possible bust in the 2nd.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #579
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly I have no problem grabbing a guy like Mettenberger or Murray and letting them get healthy for a year (like a medical redshirt in college); I would like to see the team compete for a championship soon, but realistically it will probably take a season or two, even with how talented the team is already - in spite of injuries fogging that up.

Grabbing Clowney and a future QB, letting the (potential) new head coach ease in, etc., and perhaps even getting a top pick in 2015 wouldn't be the worst thing. Especially if Clowney won't be at 100% due to foot surgery.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #580
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
So would you take a very good but not elite QB over an elite DE?

As an exercise, would you take someone like a Matt Ryan/Jay Cutler over a JJ Watt/Julius Peppers?
How about this one - how many DLmen are there in the league right now who teams would significantly downgrade (defined as there wouldn't be any real debate that it is a downgrade) their QB to get (full careers on both players)?

That involves the full equation - a team willing to move from a QB there is no argument is better than Jay Cutler to Jay Cutler to get JJ Watt.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read