Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-29-2013   #541
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
He drafted Jackson who has developed well under the Wade, whom Smith hired. He also brought in Joseph and Manning as FAs. Point me to a franchise that finds pro-bowl DBS every year.

No no, I'm saying he should get both, only that Okoye* is what everyone points to as a mistake when it was his first pick as GM, not his latest.
BoB picked McNair. Do you really believe that Smith new Bum well enough to get Wade to interview before the 2010 season ended.

Kareem is the best DB Rick has drafted. That speaks volumes, Jackson is only above avg at best even with his improvement under Wade/Joseph. Certainly not an all pro. This speaks volumes about Rick's ability to evaluate talent at the position he played in college and you want him to pick the franchise QB?

Crazy talk, hopefully BoB keeps Rick around like he did Casserly lets Rick set up interviews for the future HC. Then BoB locks Rick in a closet during these interviews and lets Rick resign and save face like he did with Casserly.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #542
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He drafted Jackson who has developed well under the Wade, whom Smith hired. He also brought in Joseph and Manning as FAs. Point me to a franchise that finds pro-bowl DBS every year.

No no, I'm saying he should get both, only that Okoye* is what everyone points to as a mistake when it was his first pick as GM, not his latest.
Jackson has developed in to an OK CB against passes under 20 yds, still a liability against the deep pass. Contrary to your belief, McNair hired Wade, NOT Rick, NOT Gary. Contrary to your belief it was Wade who selected Joseph and Manning and that came as part of his agreement with Bob McNair to become DC. In addition McNair also promised Wade the 1st RD picks in 2011 and 2012 as part of the deal to become DC. Watt and Mercilus are Wade decisions NOT Rick Smith. And Okoye was a Richard Smith pick NOT to be confused with Rick Smith.

Last edited by Texian; 11-29-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #543
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

So Smith is only responsible for the bad things and had no imput on the good things, got it.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #544
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So Smith is only responsible for the bad things and had no imput on the good things, got it.
What good things?

Speaking of this can you tell me what Rick's job is and how would you rate the he's done doing those specific tasks.

If you dont know what good things he's done then he's got to be held to the same standards as GM's like Ozzie Newsome/Ted Thompson/Mickey Loomis/Jerry Reese's of the world. Where does Rick stack up to them after 7 yrs.
Old 11-30-2013   #545
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
What good things?

Speaking of this can you tell me what Rick's job is and how would you rate the he's done doing those specific tasks.

If you dont know what good things he's done then he's got to be held to the same standards as GM's like Ozzie Newsome/Ted Thompson/Mickey Loomis/Jerry Reese's of the world. Where does Rick stack up to them after 7 yrs.
I think smith stacks up well. His biggest knock which is a big one is he hasn't drafted a franchise caliber qb,that's pretty much it. All those guys you named either drafted,had one already or in the case of loomis signed one. If you take position for position the last 7 yrs,rick has done fine. We wouldn't have issues with the roster if texans had a top flight qb. Its not hard at all to look at those gms and their common good points.

I think the world of ozzie,but look at his track record in those 7 yrs.Prior to flacco,they weren't a playoff team. Thompson had favre already,but I give him credit for drafting bpa in rodgers. What about the flamouts they've had with brohm,hawk is avg,perry,raji,and the tennessee kid who never developed? What about that o-line that has 1st and 2nd rd misses? Reese, see above. Had eli already also. Not to mention most of that sb roster was already in place before he took over for acorsi. Look at the oline,lbs,and secondary not to mention,they're about to miss playoffs again.

Bottomline, smith is performing on par with the so called top gms. His track record has feet. As we've discussed in other threads,his next hire and qb evaluation will be the most important of his career.
Old 11-30-2013   #546
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I think smith stacks up well. His biggest knock which is a big one is he hasn't drafted a franchise caliber qb,that's pretty much it. All those guys you named either drafted,had one already or in the case of loomis signed one. If you take position for position the last 7 yrs,rick has done fine. We wouldn't have issues with the roster if texans had a top flight qb. Its not hard at all to look at those gms and their common good points.

I think the world of ozzie,but look at his track record in those 7 yrs.Prior to flacco,they weren't a playoff team. Thompson had favre already,but I give him credit for drafting bpa in rodgers. What about the flamouts they've had with brohm,hawk is avg,perry,raji,and the tennessee kid who never developed? What about that o-line that has 1st and 2nd rd misses? Reese, see above. Had eli already also. Not to mention most of that sb roster was already in place before he took over for acorsi. Look at the oline,lbs,and secondary not to mention,they're about to miss playoffs again.

Bottomline, smith is performing on par with the so called top gms. His track record has feet. As we've discussed in other threads,his next hire and qb evaluation will be the most important of his career.
Hope you're wrong, this team is 2-9 and BoB told the fans this was a SB or bust yr. Everybody should be fired and a fresh start is needed. That means Rick should go too.

Really I would like a GM who believes in building the trenches 1st and is good at it. That aint Rick. What do you think the chances are of BoB givin Rick the Casserly treatment? I would say 0% because BoB owes Rick 2 more yrs.
Old 11-30-2013   #547
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hope you're wrong, this team is 2-9 and BoB told the fans this was a SB or bust yr. Everybody should be fired and a fresh start is needed. That means Rick should go too.

Really I would like a GM who believes in building the trenches 1st and is good at it. That aint Rick. What do you think the chances are of BoB givin Rick the Casserly treatment? I would say 0% because BoB owes Rick 2 more yrs.
I don't understand ur build thru the trenches logic. You listed your top gms ,now tell me which has built a great trench team? Not only that's,its not like the texans haven't been very good in the trenches lately. Could the be better? Sure,but the problem is the guy taking snaps.
Old 12-01-2013   #548
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Really I would like a GM who believes in building the trenches 1st and is good at it.
The more I watch the NFL , the more I realize that .... the only position that matters is QB. Everyone else can be a scrub but if you have that star QB you are going to get favorable calls that can change the course of games while if you don't have that guy .... you get none of those.

Then you consider how the rules are so favorable towards the offense .... I have to wonder if it really matters how good you are on the defensive line against those star QB's .....

The way this game has evolved , you might as well build a team to score 60 and throw 11 fans on the field to play defense.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013   #549
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Rounds 1 and 2:

bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013   #550
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rounds 1 and 2:

I'd be good with that.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013   #551
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

This team sorely needs to hit on their picks a la 2006 draft. Need about 4 players that will make significant contributions.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013   #552
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The more I watch the NFL , the more I realize that .... the only position that matters is QB. Everyone else can be a scrub but if you have that star QB you are going to get favorable calls that can change the course of games while if you don't have that guy .... you get none of those.

Then you consider how the rules are so favorable towards the offense .... I have to wonder if it really matters how good you are on the defensive line against those star QB's .....

The way this game has evolved , you might as well build a team to score 60 and throw 11 fans on the field to play defense.
Its been like that for a few yrs. No team has won a superbowl without a talent at qb since the ravens and bucs. Both of which were more than 10 yrs ago. The only way to cover holes is with the qb. Defense can get you to the playoffs,pass game win rings.
Old 12-01-2013   #553
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Falcons this year are a bizarre team. Matt Ryan isn't having a bad year but they're stuck in the gutter with us
Old 12-01-2013   #554
TXAg14
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Falcons this year are a bizarre team. Matt Ryan isn't having a bad year but they're stuck in the gutter with us
A lot of the same problems that plagued Georgia (NCAA) are affecting the Falcons. Both Roddy White and Julio Jones were out with injuries. Steven Jackson hasn't been as effective as they wanted, also been out a little with injuries. Matt Ryan hasn't been bad, but when he doesn't have his two best WRs and can't effectively run the ball, it's hard for the Falcons to do much of anything. They can just zero in on covering Tony Gonzalez.
TXAg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #555
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm not buying the argument that only the QB matters. eli gets all the credit, but it was the giant's defensive line that won the championships by not allowing more than 20 points in either of their runs. the steelers have been to the superbowl 3 times recently, only once in those entire playoffs allowing more than 24. that one being their only loss, in the superbowl. the ravens won a couple shootouts, but managed to beat both indy and the patriots by only allowing a combined 22 points. manning's colts' two trips are the same, only twice allowing more than 17, a win and a loss.

defense and running the ball to finish games are very much alive and well, especially in the playoffs. if it was quarterbacks only, rodgers, peyton and brees would have more rings than big ben and eli.
Old 12-02-2013   #556
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'm not buying the argument that only the QB matters. eli gets all the credit, but it was the giant's defensive line that won the championships by not allowing more than 20 points in either of their runs. the steelers have been to the superbowl 3 times recently, only once in those entire playoffs allowing more than 24. that one being their only loss, in the superbowl. the ravens won a couple shootouts, but managed to beat both indy and the patriots by only allowing a combined 22 points. manning's colts' two trips are the same, only twice allowing more than 17, a win and a loss.

defense and running the ball to finish games are very much alive and well, especially in the playoffs. if it was quarterbacks only, rodgers, peyton and brees would have more rings than big ben and eli.

U don't have to buy it,but look at how those guys played in the playoffs. No one said its about the qb and dummies, but u better have a guy with elite talent/playmaker when you enter the postseason. He's gonna have to make game altering plays in the post season. Flacco was on fire in the playoffs last yr. Eli was also playing elite the yr before in the playoffs. We've seen the plays in the postseaon made by rodgers,brady,brees,and big ben.What we haven't seen is a qb handing the ball off 30 times a game. I'm not saying the run game and defense aren't important,I'm saying the top flight guys can win without those elements. In the postseason,you will play teams who can take things away.
Old 12-02-2013   #557
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What we haven't seen is a qb handing the ball off 30 times a game. I'm not saying the run game and defense aren't important,I'm saying the top flight guys can win without those elements.
Since you included Big Ben then yeah we have. The Steelers won the SB in 2006 (2005 season) in spite of Big Ben. They ran 28 times for 3 TDs, the D held Seattle to 10 pts and Big Ben had 9 comp., 0 TDs and 2 INTs.

I think you are underestimating the running generally. The Steelers also ran 28 times in their other win. The Giants likewise ran 28 times in their most recent win. The Ravens ran 35 times last year.

All that being said I want to see the Texans take a QB high BUT I would not want them to take Bridgewater just because he is the consensus pick. I want them to maneuver to get the guy they like best.
Old 12-02-2013   #558
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
but u better have a guy with elite talent/playmaker when you enter the postseason. He's gonna have to make game altering plays in the post season. Flacco was on fire in the playoffs last yr. Eli was also playing elite the yr before in the playoffs.
you're putting ben, flacco, and eli into elite categories? look at ben and eli's numbers during their superbowl runs. eli is very pedestrian at about 270yds and a TD or 2 on average, but didnt turn the ball over and relied on his defense ... a game manager at it's finest. it would be pretty easy to argue that the steelers won in spite of ben, in XL his line read 9/21 for 123yds and 2int's. flacco did catch fire, but still needed a lot of help from ray rice and a defense that crushed brady and andrew luck.

edit: just to tack on, in the patriot's 5 superbowl appearances they've only allowed more than 21 twice during the playoffs, and 21 twice (including a loss). their playoff runs have been heavily defensive as well. shootouts like last year's ravens/broncos game are rare. it's who turns on their defense at the right time that has had the most playoff success in recent history.

Last edited by Scooter; 12-02-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #559
Scooter
Funky

to the question at hand, i'm still on board with matthews. if quess can replace smith (shouldnt be hard), right tackle is the only hole on offense unless keenum faceplants in these remaining games. shore up that position with a near "cant miss" for the next 10 years. who cares if it's a lower tier position, if you can add a lifer as a bookend you do it IMO.

my ideal scenario would be finishing first with teams thinking we're after the top quarterback (which we may be). trade down a spot or two for an extra pick and take matthews. then use the next two on defense - linebacker positions preferably. hit on matthews, and get at least starting quality players with the next two would alter this team drastically.
Old 12-02-2013   #560
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
This team sorely needs to hit on their picks a la 2006 draft. Need about 4 players that will make significant contributions.
Well I guess we're in the right spot then
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read