Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-28-2013   #521
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45895 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Is a mettenberger / flaco comparison a fair one? I've seen highlights for a lot of these guys but almost no actual game play. A manziel / wilson comparison looks solid to me...but I'll defer to what you guys have seen.
I like the Mettenberger Flacco comparison and it's the one I use because of Cam Cameron. However all 3 are pocket passers with no real threat to run with the ball. And all 3 have a big arm.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #522
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
After week 12 the Houston Texans have the 2nd pick in the 2014 NFL Draft:

http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html
Why not pencil us in with the first pick? It's highly unlikely we're going to beat the Patriots, Jaguars, Colts, Broncos and Titans. Four of those five teams could make the playoffs (Titans have the last wild-card spot in the AFC right now). The only winnable game is at Jacksonville but entertain me with the idea that we can somehow win at their place when we couldn't even beat them at Reliant Stadium?
Old 11-28-2013   #523
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45895 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Why not pencil us in with the first pick? It's highly unlikely we're going to beat the Patriots, Jaguars, Colts, Broncos and Titans. Four of those five teams could make the playoffs (Titans have the last wild-card spot in the AFC right now). The only winnable game is at Jacksonville but entertain me with the idea that we can somehow win at their place when we couldn't even beat them at Reliant Stadium?
If the Texans are the only 2-14 team, YES. If Atlanta is 2-14 the Texans could likely lose out due to opponents W-L %. The good news is Atlanta won't be looking for a QB with Matty Ice having a long term contract.
Old 11-28-2013   #524
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If the Texans are the only 2-14 team, YES. If Atlanta is 2-14 the Texans could likely lose out due to opponents W-L %. The good news is Atlanta won't be looking for a QB with Matty Ice having a long term contract.
At this point I'm really hoping for the first pick. If Atl ends up drafting first they're in a perfect position to trade down, as a team needing a QB would have to jump us to make sure they get the guy they want
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #525
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
At this point I'm really hoping for the first pick. If Atl ends up drafting first they're in a perfect position to trade down, as a team needing a QB would have to jump us to make sure they get the guy they want
Me too! I'm hoping that Atlanta can win their game at home against the Skins week 15.
Old 11-28-2013   #526
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Any got links to good film on these guys?
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #527
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
for me OLB isn't has bad as people are saying. ILB is imo far worse. Mercilus and Reed arnt getting sack numbers but are pressuring the QB resulting in houston being 3rd overall in QB hurries.
I think an upgrade at DT and ILB would help a lot more then another OLB.
I agree and Trevardo should help. Maybe some are forgetting the hope he brought when drafted.
Old 11-28-2013   #528
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I agree and Trevardo should help. Maybe some are forgetting the hope he brought when drafted.
I don't think people forget. I wasn't enamored with the pick myself.

But I think people are remembering his pre season play. Maybe he was hurt, but he looked terrible.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #529
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
unless we put up our pick for trade.

as another poster said, the falcons won't be looking for a QB, so a team doesn't HAVE to trade with ATL to jump us if we want to trade down as well.

ATL would be stupid to trade down because they need big time help with pass rushers and clowney and Barr are staring them straight in the face with the number 1 pick.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #530
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Walter Football has us taking Clowney in the first, with Boyd and Skov in the second and third rounds, respectively.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #531
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
unless we put up our pick for trade.

as another poster said, the falcons won't be looking for a QB, so a team doesn't HAVE to trade with ATL to jump us if we want to trade down as well.

ATL would be stupid to trade down because they need big time help with pass rushers and clowney and Barr are staring them straight in the face with the number 1 pick.
Atl could trade down because they don't need a QB. At this point it looks like we do, so if a team like Jacksonville was drafting 3rd (with Atl 1st and we're second) they could easily throw a couple picks to Atl to move up to land the top QB prospect and Atl can still land either Barr or Clowney.

I can't imagine us trading down with our QB situation up in the air, but I could be wrong
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #532
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Walter Football has us taking Clowney in the first, with Boyd and Skov in the second and third rounds, respectively.
The NFL still thinks Clowney is the top prospect. Unless the Texans keep Rick Smith or rehire Casserly, I think Clowney would be the Texans pick at #1 overall. Just thinking about Watt and Clowney on the same defensive front is sick. I know Andrew Luck would be sick.
Old 11-29-2013   #533
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 141004 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The NFL still thinks Clowney is the top prospect. Unless the Texans keep Rick Smith or rehire Casserly, I think Clowney would be the Texans pick at #1 overall. Just thinking about Watt and Clowney on the same defensive front is sick. I know Andrew Luck would be sick.
Tell Clowney that his job is to keep up with that JJ fellar all off season .
Old 11-29-2013   #534
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Atl could trade down because they don't need a QB. At this point it looks like we do, so if a team like Jacksonville was drafting 3rd (with Atl 1st and we're second) they could easily throw a couple picks to Atl to move up to land the top QB prospect and Atl can still land either Barr or Clowney.

I can't imagine us trading down with our QB situation up in the air, but I could be wrong
Agree, Atlanta has BIG holes in both lines and could be enamored with extra draft picks.
Old 11-29-2013   #535
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Well Casserly drafted Mario Williams and I trust Rick Smith enough to make that decision, so no worries there.
Old 11-29-2013   #536
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well Casserly drafted Mario Williams and I trust Rick Smith enough to make that decision, so no worries there.
Rick Smith followed that up with Amobe Okoye. Contrary to popular belief Smith is a not a GM with final say. Smith fills the same position Scott Pioli did as GM of the Patriots. Belichick trusted Pioli to do what Belichick needed to be done. The same way Kubiak trusts Smith to do what Kubiak needs Smith to do. So Okoye was really a Kubiak decision regardless of what people think they believe.
Old 11-29-2013   #537
bhsman
All Pro

Everyone loves to complain about Smith over. Pokey and then forget to mention our first round picks ever since have either been money or played well after developing.
Old 11-29-2013   #538
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69966 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Everyone loves to complain about Smith over. Pokey and then forget to mention our first round picks ever since have either been money or played well after developing.
Tell mee more about Rick's ability to evaluate DB's?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #539
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The point is Rick Smith doesn't get the blame for draft picks and he doesn't get credit for draft picks. Kubiak allows his coaches to select the players. The problem here is Kubiak doesn't select the best coaches, Kubiak selects his best friends. All player personnel decisions get Kubiak's final blessing. That goes with final say on the 53 man roster, part of Kubiak's contract.
Old 11-29-2013   #540
bhsman
All Pro

He drafted Jackson who has developed well under the Wade, whom Smith hired. He also brought in Joseph and Manning as FAs. Point me to a franchise that finds pro-bowl DBS every year.

Quote:
The point is Rick Smith doesn't get the blame for draft picks and he doesn't get credit for draft picks. Kubiak allows his coaches to select the players. The problem here is Kubiak doesn't select the best coaches, Kubiak selects his best friends. All player personnel decisions get Kubiak's final blessing. That goes with final say on the 53 man roster, part of Kubiak's contract.
No no, I'm saying he should get both, only that Okoye* is what everyone points to as a mistake when it was his first pick as GM, not his latest.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read