Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-26-2013   #501
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Wow ... and Johnny wasn't even around then .
Johnny is going to live by the sword, die by the sword. Johnny will be much like Michael Vick was in Atlanta except with a better arm. If he gets a coach who confines him to the pocket like Philly has with Vick, Johnny will get killed like Vick in Philly. There will not be a more exciting player to watch if Johnny is allowed to be Johnny. IMHO Johnny will get his team very close to the Big Show but in the end, no cigar....(much like the SEC Championship Game) all my post about Johnny have been directed at those who say his game will not translate to the NFL. IMHO his game will and it will be better than many.....and hey, I'm not an Aggie......and anyone who can't say the Johnny Football hasn't been the most exciting player in college football these last two years is full of bovine manure and doesn't know the round brown from a hole in the ground......that is all. I see your
and raise you two
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #502
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Johnny is going to live by the sword, die by the sword. Johnny will be much like Michael Vick was in Atlanta except with a better arm. If he gets a coach who confines him to the pocket like Philly has with Vick, Johnny will get killed like Vick in Philly. There will not be a more exciting player to watch if Johnny is allowed to be Johnny. IMHO Johnny will get his team very close to the Big Show but in the end, no cigar....(much like the SEC Championship Game) all my post about Johnny have been directed at those who say his game will not translate to the NFL. IMHO his game will and it will be better than many.....and hey, I'm not an Aggie.
He's got some good things going for him and he could be good . It will be exciting come February when the whole process takes off . That's the state of Texans football these days , draft talk .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #503
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you hit 40% of your draft you've done well .

KC picked 1st overall last year and their not so happy with Fisher . Joeckel is out for the year and the Dolphins guy can't stay on the field . It's a crap shoot that gets revealed 3 years down the road .
That's why most yrs I'm in favor of trading up to the 2nd rd. You should be able to hit on your 1st and 2nd rd picks. (Even at the level of Fisher you've got a contributor) So you add 3 contributors each yr. (Unless your Rick und picking Harris/JOkOye etc....) Then in rds 5-7 I pick talented small school guys. Atleast they will add speed to the ST's. (Lord knows the Texans could use that) Or talented but troubled guys. (Lyrela/Dyer/Crowell) If they fall of the wagon you really haven't lost anything except a late rd pick that probably wouldn't have contributed to the team anyway.

That's my philosophy, Obviously Rick has a different philosophy that hasn't worked out too well.

BTW, I'm a fan of trading down this yr. the cut off is the middle of the 4th rd for talent that can help your team this yr. Say trade down for both of the Browns #1's and because the Texans should get a comp 5th rd pick trade a 5th/6th rd pick to move up into the 4th rd.

Your draft would look like this.
Rd.1
Rd.1
Rd.2 pick 33
Rd.3 top of rd
Rd.4 Top of rd. pick
Rd.4 Mid rd pick.
Rd.5 comp pick
Rd.7 Top rd pick

You could add 6 top 100-115 picks in a deep draft and add a RB like Dyer in the 5th and a TE like Lyrela in the 7th.

Do you think a draft like this would help the Texans fill some holes and ad much needed depth/speed?

This isn't the brain surgery Rick/Gary make it out to be. It just takes hard work and accumen for the job.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #504
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Johnny is going to live by the sword, die by the sword. Johnny will be much like Michael Vick was in Atlanta except with a better arm.
In what way is JM's arm better than Vick's?
Old 11-26-2013   #505
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
That's why most yrs I'm in favor of trading up to the 2nd rd. You should be able to hit on your 1st and 2nd rd picks. (Even at the level of Fisher you've got a contributor) So you add 3 contributors each yr. (Unless your Rick und picking Harris/JOkOye etc....) Then in rds 5-7 I pick talented small school guys. Atleast they will add speed to the ST's. (Lord knows the Texans could use that) Or talented but troubled guys. (Lyrela/Dyer/Crowell) If they fall of the wagon you really haven't lost anything except a late rd pick that probably wouldn't have contributed to the team anyway.

That's my philosophy, Obviously Rick has a different philosophy that hasn't worked out too well.

BTW, I'm a fan of trading down this yr. the cut off is the middle of the 4th rd for talent that can help your team this yr. Say trade down for both of the Browns #1's and because the Texans should get a comp 5th rd pick trade a 5th/6th rd pick to move up into the 4th rd.

Rd.1
Rd.1
Rd.2 pick 33
Rd.3 top of rd
Rd.4 Top of rd. pick
Rd.4 Mid rd pick.
Rd.5 comp pick
Rd.7 Top rd pick

You could add 6 top 100-115 picks in a deep draft and add a RB like Dyer in the 5th and a TE like Lyrela in the 7th.

Do you think a draft like this would help the Texans fill some holes and ad much needed depth/speed?

This isn't the brain surgery Rick/Gary make it out to be. It just takes hard work and accumen for the job.
The Texans need good cheap players badly . Their cap looks like a meth heads billfold because I think they anticipated the cap growing .

I think the big three areas are QB , OL , OLB . They need depth everywhere . I think you can't get everything in one year but you can get some more of your building blocks in place . That's where the later round guys come in . Get a RB , fat guys , and then guys who hit a 4.4 .

I think a competent QB and a dominant pass rusher cover up lots of bad players . The Texans are in luck because they're halfway there . JJ needs help and those guys get draft early as does a QB . So a QB , DE or OLB , RT , G , DT . If Gary leaves they might not run a ZBS but you need upgrades anyway .

Round Dan
Old 11-26-2013   #506
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
, and then guys who hit a 4.4 .
Is that you Al Davis?
Old 11-26-2013   #507
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Is that you Al Davis?
Zombie AL

Round Dan
Sponsored links
Old 11-26-2013   #508
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
In what way is JM's arm better than Vick's?
accuracy, completion %
Old 11-26-2013   #509
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
accuracy, completion %
OK, that's not normally what people refer to as arm. But thanks for clarifying.
Old 11-26-2013   #510
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans need good cheap players badly . Their cap looks like a meth heads billfold because I think they anticipated the cap growing .

I think the big three areas are QB , OL , OLB . They need depth everywhere . I think you can't get everything in one year but you can get some more of your building blocks in place . That's where the later round guys come in . Get a RB , fat guys , and then guys who hit a 4.4 .

I think a competent QB and a dominant pass rusher cover up lots of bad players . The Texans are in luck because they're halfway there . JJ needs help and those guys get draft early as does a QB . So a QB , DE or OLB , RT , G , DT . If Gary leaves they might not run a ZBS but you need upgrades anyway .
They also need a DT to control the LOS so Cushing has a chance to stay healthy. I wouldn't mind seeing Clowney in the 1st OT in Schreff in the 2nd McCarron 3rd and Carrethers in the 4th.

Add nickle CB to the list McCain is awful. How confident are you in Rick's ability to judge talent, hire HC, put the right people in place for the rebuild? That thought colors me skeptical at best.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #511
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Right Tackle
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #512
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Foster is having back surgery and Tate is a FA. Daniels coming off 2nd major injury on backside of career and Graham is a FA. Earl Mitchell and Antonio Smith are FA. Only ILB on current 2014 roster is Cushing. = DIRE STRAITS
Old 11-27-2013   #513
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Foster is having back surgery and Tate is a FA. Daniels coming off 2nd major injury on backside of career and Graham is a FA. Earl Mitchell and Antonio Smith are FA. Only ILB on current 2014 roster is Cushing. = DIRE STRAITS
I use to love Dire Straights, lol

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #514
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I use to love Dire Straights, lol
I still do, one of my all time favorites, from 6:40 is about as good as it gets; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2nQZPC2uTs
Old 11-27-2013   #515
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
So you are playing whack a mole to The Sultans of Swing . A Rubic's cube has less options than the Texans come draft day . A RT helps the QB who helps everyone on offense . An OLB helps JJ and the Pass rush which helps the secondary . Once again you can't fill a swimming pool with a couple of buckets of water .

Round Dan
Old 11-27-2013   #516
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Rd.1
Rd.1
Rd.2 pick 33
Rd.3 top of rd
Rd.4 Top of rd. pick
Rd.4 Mid rd pick.
Rd.5 comp pick
Rd.7 Top rd pick

The more I watch these QB's the more I am leaning to your ideals. I really do like Clowney despite the negatives but if the right deal came along, well! If we could move down say no lower than 12 or 14 I'm the first and pickup another first and second this or next year, there is no way I would pass that up.
Old 11-27-2013   #517
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So you are playing whack a mole to The Sultans of Swing . A Rubic's cube has less options than the Texans come draft day . A RT helps the QB who helps everyone on offense . An OLB helps JJ and the Pass rush which helps the secondary . Once again you can't fill a swimming pool with a couple of buckets of water .
for me OLB isn't has bad as people are saying. ILB is imo far worse. Mercilus and Reed arnt getting sack numbers but are pressuring the QB resulting in houston being 3rd overall in QB hurries.
I think an upgrade at DT and ILB would help a lot more then another OLB.

Last edited by aussie_texan; 11-27-2013 at 08:20 PM.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #518
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I watch the qb's the more I want bridgewater.

I've watched some film of the top 5 guys or so. Still a bunch more to go. To me manziel and Mariota are lesser versions of Russell Wilson. Not that they can't be successful, but I think they are going to need the right systems. And they might be like kaepernick where they have some big impact games and then really struggle a bunch. I'm not big on manziel or mariota.

So far after bridgewater I like mettenberger and Carr. I don't think either are on Teddy's level, but if I had a lower pick I'd take them and feel good about them. Carr has some great physical attributes man. Mettenberger looks like he can be a good qb for a long, long time. Big guy, looks good in the pocket throwing the ball. I'd be ok with either of these guys, but I probably would prefer mettenberger as I think he's a much more advanced passer.

Going to watch more or these guys to see if any would actually entice me to trade down if we had the 1A pick.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #519
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The more I watch the qb's the more I want bridgewater.

I've watched some film of the top 5 guys or so. Still a bunch more to go. To me manziel and Mariota are lesser versions of Russell Wilson. Not that they can't be successful, but I think they are going to need the right systems. And they might be like kaepernick where they have some big impact games and then really struggle a bunch. I'm not big on manziel or mariota.

So far after bridgewater I like mettenberger and Carr. I don't think either are on Teddy's level, but if I had a lower pick I'd take them and feel good about them. Carr has some great physical attributes man. Mettenberger looks like he can be a good qb for a long, long time. Big guy, looks good in the pocket throwing the ball. I'd be ok with either of these guys, but I probably would prefer mettenberger as I think he's a much more advanced passer.

Going to watch more or these guys to see if any would actually entice me to trade down if we had the 1A pick.
Is a mettenberger / flaco comparison a fair one? I've seen highlights for a lot of these guys but almost no actual game play. A manziel / wilson comparison looks solid to me...but I'll defer to what you guys have seen.
Old 11-27-2013   #520
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Is a mettenberger / flaco comparison a fair one?
Big Ben is a pretty common comparison.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read