Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-05-2013   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

It makes a lot of sense to cut Schaub next year, unless he gets back to top form, which is very doubtful.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-the-season/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/

The Texans will save $11M in 2014, $10M in 2015, and $19M in 2016.

If they don't think Yates or Keenum as Schaub's replacement, they should draft a QB high.
If they plan to use one of them, they can look for a QB that falls due to the depth of the class.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #22
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would throw a guard in the mix .
Old 10-05-2013   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
You can have McCarron .... I'd much rather have Aaron Murray or Tajh Boyd.

They wont be picking high enough for Bridgewater , Mariota or Hundley.

I don't at all disagree ... Just think he's a product of the system & talent around him at Bama. And to be quite honest , despite all that talent , that offense isn't very good. (That says a lot about the A&M defense sucking too now doesn't it ?!)
Thanks I will take him! Boyd will also be gone imo and I do like Murray who is shorter than AJ. McCarron is no more a systems QB than Murray. Both are very accurate passers who are good field generals.
Old 10-05-2013   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Well eliminated a couple positions from the above list of possibilities.

Safety, Clinton-Dix is the only guy worthy of a 1st round pick and he went and got himself kicked off the team by hiring an agent. I doubt the Texans go for someone making this kind of bone headed move.

QB, as badly as I want Schaub gone and someone else in his place, if it does happen I think it would be Keenum. I don't think we draft a QB early to replace Schaub.

DE/DT, the more I think about it the more I think Antonio Smith is gone after this season in FA (hate to see him go) and that his replacement is already here, Crick, Montgomery, or Jamison. It will most likely be Crick that gets a year to show that he can replace the Ninja.

OT, I don't see the Texans selecting a RT in the 1st round, maybe in the 2nd but most likely in the 3rd. It's possible but doubtful. I just don't think they value the position that high.

That leaves only OLB or CB. I think OLB offers us the most immediate bang for our buck because of the ability to fix 2 positions with 1 pick by moving Reed to ILB. Filling OLB might also depend on the development of Willie Jefferson who looked so promising in TC. This also seems like a very good year for CB so we might be able to wait until the 2nd to find a future starter and immediate quality depth. CB is a position that I want a stud at so I'd like to get the best one we can even if he doesn't play as a rookie and it's currently at the top of my mock draft.

Other than QB, what's your reasoning for taking another position in the 1st?
On Dix, where are you getting your info? While suspension by coach was "indefinite" probably won't be but a few games per this link http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...miss-1-3-games

Also: If the loan was made to Clinton-Dix in order to pay for some of the lost items or damage to his vehicle, his biggest error was asking the wrong person in Alabama’s athletic department.
If an athlete suffers a misfortune such as having his or her car or home broken into and robbed, the institution has multiple options to help the student-athlete out. One is the Student Assistance Fund, the combination of the old Student-Athlete Opportunity and Special Assistance Funds. That is money which comes from the NCAA to pay for these types of misfortune or emergency expenses. http://fansided.com/2013/10/04/haha-...nsion-avoided/
Old 10-05-2013   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
maybe TE. OD's contract is coming up. but i guess GG has been playing well and Ryan Griffen looked really good during pre season so probably doesn't happen.

I think they go CB, because im not convinced that KJ stays after his contract is done, JJoe's cap is getting high and even though his improved game by game this season his still not at his best. and our backups are not top CB material so i think you get a guy now let him sit for a year then starts year 2.

My preference though would be to go ILB, i would love to have a 2 header monster at the Backer position much like the 49ers do.

Also i think its really really really unlikely we go QB, at least for this year maybe next but cant see it happening this year unless we win only 6 games or something like that
Joseph's cap is pretty much the same next 3 years: 2013 (29 YOA) $11.25 2014 (30 YOA) $11.25 2015 (31 YOA) $12.25.

So here is a question, if Joseph can return to shutdown corner status, should we extend his contract couple years when he is 32 & 33 and lower his cap as we did Andre's? If so that reduces need for CB. Remember, KJ has a team option for 2014 for $2.9.
Old 10-05-2013   #26
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm an LSU fan so admittedly I'm a little biased here but what do you guys think of Mettenberger? He doesn't come with the athleticism of someone like Boyd but his arm strength is legit and he's been really decisive, especially on 3rd down.

It helps that he has ODB and Juice to throw to (Landry in particular has been insane this year; if not for our WR depth this year I'd want Houston to pick him up instead), though Mett has made some insane throws to get them the ball. Anyone see that third-and-long to Landry in double/triple coverage? Yeesh.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
I'm an LSU fan so admittedly I'm a little biased here but what do you guys think of Mettenberger? He doesn't come with the athleticism of someone like Boyd but his arm strength is legit and he's been really decisive, especially on 3rd down.

It helps that he has ODB and Juice to throw to (Landry in particular has been insane this year; if not for our WR depth this year I'd want Houston to pick him up instead), though Mett has made some insane throws to get them the ball. Anyone see that third-and-long to Landry in double/triple coverage? Yeesh.
He is really helping himself so far this season but I just can't seem to get excited about him. I will wait him out and see how he does for few more games. I have Murray and McCarron ahead of him. Stats and size are good but when I watched him again today, I went "meh".

ps: I think we now know Miss State now what many thought a few weeks ago.
Old 10-05-2013   #28
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Joseph's cap is pretty much the same next 3 years: 2013 (29 YOA) $11.25 2014 (30 YOA) $11.25 2015 (31 YOA) $12.25.

So here is a question, if Joseph can return to shutdown corner status, should we extend his contract couple years when he is 32 & 33 and lower his cap as we did Andre's? If so that reduces need for CB. Remember, KJ has a team option for 2014 for $2.9.
didn't realise its so stagnate but its still quite high considering his play at the moment.
If he returns to his best then in my opinion no doubt you resign him, very hard to find top notch shutdown corners. his the cornerstone of our secondary especially when at his best. Im not optimistic he returns to where he was first year here so I'm probably taking a CB in rd1 for the reasons mentioned before
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #29
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

QB. Please, dear God, let it be a QB.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013   #30
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Best Player Available. Doesn't matter if its on offense or defense we can use ALL the help we can get. Maybe not as a first-round pick but I'm liking what I see from Ra'Shede Hageman he can play DE in a 3-4 or come in as a NT.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #31
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Before today's loss most mocks had us drafting at #14 and with the way this season is going I can see that being a real possibility. If we were drafting in the 12-14 range and all the elite level QB's are gone what would you guys say to a trade out of the 1st round and into the very early 2nd round. I don't know if any team has multiple 2nd round picks next year but I think we could get a very early 2nd along with that teams 1st in 2015, or 2nd and 3rd in 2015. We have multiple holes to fill and need more early round picks.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #32
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Before today's loss most mocks had us drafting at #14 and with the way this season is going I can see that being a real possibility. If we were drafting in the 12-14 range and all the elite level QB's are gone what would you guys say to a trade out of the 1st round and into the very early 2nd round. I don't know if any team has multiple 2nd round picks next year but I think we could get a very early 2nd along with that teams 1st in 2015, or 2nd and 3rd in 2015. We have multiple holes to fill and need more early round picks.
If all the QB's are gone then the only way another team would even entertain making that trade-up is if there was an elite-level player still on the board.

In that scenario, screw the trade and draft the elite level player. This team has plenty of holes, but trading back is not always the solution.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #33
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

We got JJ Watt at #11, so it's not impossible to find an impact player at 12. If the QB they want isn't there, then go for one in the 2nd, or trade up to the back of the 1st round and grab someone. Teams at the bottom of the 1st are always willing to trade back.
Old 10-14-2013   #34
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
We got JJ Watt at #11, so it's not impossible to find an impact player at 12. If the QB they want isn't there, then go for one in the 2nd, or trade up to the back of the 1st round and grab someone. Teams at the bottom of the 1st are always willing to trade back.
Yep Van Noy at 12 and Mettenberger at 25 would be ideal.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #35
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

If the season ended today, we'd be drafting #10 overall. Does that change your mind on how to use that 1st round pick, or the now higher picks in successive rounds?
Old 10-16-2013   #36
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If the season ended today, we'd be drafting #10 overall. Does that change your mind on how to use that 1st round pick, or the now higher picks in successive rounds?
I checked the standings with the whole league on the NFL website and we're 9th from the bottom.

If that is the order of picks, it would be

Tampa Bay: (Teddy Bridgewater)
New York Giants: (Jadaveon Clowney, they need pass rush help)
Jacksonville: (Tajh Boyd)
Washington: (Not a Quarterback)
Pittsburgh: (Probably not a Quarterback)
Minnesota: (Brett Hundley)
Atlanta: (Not a Quarterback)
Oakland: (Possibly a Quarterback)
Houston:??????
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Interesting question, ESPN's Rang and Brugler have the following:

Rang : Jags at # 12 selecting Jason Verrett corner & Boyd going # 15 with Zack @ #17

Brugler has Jags selecting Watkins WR and Boyd @ #15.

Depending on how each team drafted I'd go Boyd if there but would trade down into first and get solid player ( we need many) and get QB later. Also, I want to see how Keenum does. I would be happy with Murray or McCarron in second especially if I could land say HaHa Dix in first to replace Manning who is out this season or say Marqise Lee and say an Olineman with extra 2nd
Old 10-17-2013   #38
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

@BB, I'm thinking about trading down in the first as well. I'd go for Marcus Roberson in the mid 20's and then take Aaron Murray in the early 2nd and then the best available OT or OLB with the other 2nd rounder. Trades are always fun to contemplate but the hard part is finding a trade partner. Who's going to want to trade up that high, and for what player?
Old 10-18-2013   #39
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Andrew Luck is about to win the division in his 2nd. If you don't have a guy at qb close to his talent,you won't ever win the division. The answer is that simple.
Old 10-18-2013   #40
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Thanks I will take him! Boyd will also be gone imo and I do like Murray who is shorter than AJ. McCarron is no more a systems QB than Murray. Both are very accurate passers who are good field generals.
Boyd could be the 4th or 5th QB taken in this draft .... behind Bridgewater , Mariota & Hundley and or Manziel too pending the underclassmen declare.

Who do you take given the option behind what appears at this point to be the obvious top three ?? (Choices - Boyd , Manziel , Mettenberger , Carr , Murray , McCarron & Morris)

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read