Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-17-2013   #341
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19403 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
A 7 rec. 136 yd 1 TD (which almost had another 40 yd comp.) day reaffirmed to you that TE should take precedence over RT, ILB, OG, S, CB and QB? Not getting that.
certainly not over RT and ILB. but over S, QB, OG, and maybe CB depending the value of the players involved when drafting.

also i don't think the stats are indicative of the TE play. was the play calling and QB play the forged those stats not GG making a play. GG is a serviceable TE but with OD probably gone we are left with 2 TEs that a JAGs. bring a big time weapon to help keenum out. Who i still see as the QB for next year
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #342
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19403 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm still leaning towards clowney if we stay 34.

I think this defense is missing an edge presence like nobody's business.

Maybe when I get around to looking at other players I'll like another edge player more, but for now I still like clowney.
if we are staying in the 3-4 i think i would prefer barr over clowney. more natural fit. but really either way you go your getting a beast player
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #343
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21706 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
today reaffirmed my position on drafting a TE early. not with a top 5 pick but possibly in the 2nd and no later then the 3rd.
I understand the need to add TEs w/ Daniels coming off 2nd major injury on backside of his career and Graham becoming a FA. However an a 2nd or 3nd RD may be a bit of an over reaction. Both Daniels and Graham were 4th RD picks and that's where I've Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia in my mock
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #344
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I understand the need to add TEs w/ Daniels coming off 2nd major injury on backside of his career and Graham becoming a FA. However an a 2nd or 3nd RD may be a bit of an over reaction. Both Daniels and Graham were 4th RD picks and that's where I've Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia in my mock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
5) Georgia TE Arthur Lynch - OD costs too much. Lynch is a strong blocker and reliable pass catcher.

Ive got Lynch in my mock as well .... but in the 5th round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
A 7 rec. 136 yd 1 TD (which almost had another 40 yd comp.) day reaffirmed to you that TE should take precedence over RT, ILB, OG, S, CB and QB? Not getting that.
Well he is a FA .... no guarantee he returns.

After today's performance (or lack of) by the OL , I'm sticking with taking an OT with that top 5 pick - Unless they end up with #1 and then you have to really consider Bridgewater but I'm not at all sold on him being all that in the NFL.
I'd probably trade out of the #1 spot to #3-8 taking one of Matthews , Lewan or Irving at OT.
Then you have the option of taking a QB in round 2 or trading back into the first round to get one.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #345
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54157 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't believe anyone thinks we shouldn't go QB first pick. I think it's a combination of how good Luck and RG3 were as prospects (rare) and Wilson and Kapreneck (sp?) being late picks and having success. Now all the sudden no prospect is franchise worthy unless they are as good a prospect as luck or rg3 and it's easy to get a great QB late in the draft. Smh!!!!!!!

It's the Trent Dilfer effect all over again. A great defensive team wins a Super Bowl with a game management type QB and all the sudden everyone is on the "you don't have to have a great QB to win the big one" band wagon.

Between manzel, bridgewater and Marcus Mariota you have three possible franchise QB's. All have shown on field capable. If they interview well and workout well there is no reason to doubt they could be franchise QB's.

Id take my chances with whichever one of them looks the best after the draft process has run its course. You just can't pass up a chance to take a top QB.
Old 11-17-2013   #346
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I can't believe anyone thinks we shouldn't go QB first pick. I think it's a combination of how good Luck and RG3 were as prospects (rare) and Wilson and Kapreneck (sp?) being late picks and having success. Now all the sudden no prospect is franchise worthy unless they are as good a prospect as luck or rg3 and it's easy to get a great QB late in the draft. Smh!!!!!!!

It's the Trent Dilfer effect all over again. A great defensive team wins a Super Bowl with a game management type QB and all the sudden everyone is on the "you don't have to have a great QB to win the big one" band wagon.

Between manzel, bridgewater and Marcus Mariota you have three possible franchise QB's. All have shown on field capable. If they interview well and workout well there is no reason to doubt they could be franchise QB's.

Id take my chances with whichever one of them looks the best after the draft process has run its course. You just can't pass up a chance to take a top QB.

I think it's ridiculous that anyone would think that sticking a rookie "franchise" QB behind our OL is a good idea. Didn't we just go down this road 12 years ago? Every year there are QB's coming out that are going to be great. Most of them aren't and of the three you just listed tell me which one is going to be the Blaine Gabbert or the Byron Leftwich? That will be the one Bob falls in love with most likely.

No, draft OL and do it regularly. This late round "lets get small guys because they fit the zone blocking scheme so well" BS has got to stop. It's time to draft some beasts. It's Munchak/Matthews/Steinkuhler time for the Texans. Go get a real line and then go take a swing at finding the real franchise QB to put behind it.
Old 11-17-2013   #347
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think it's ridiculous that anyone would think that sticking a rookie "franchise" QB behind our OL is a good idea. Didn't we just go down this road 12 years ago? Every year there are QB's coming out that are going to be great. Most of them aren't and of the three you just listed tell me which one is going to be the Blaine Gabbert or the Byron Leftwich? That will be the one Bob falls in love with most likely.

No, draft OL and do it regularly. This late round "lets get small guys because they fit the zone blocking scheme so well" BS has got to stop. It's time to draft some beasts. It's Munchak/Matthews/Steinkuhler time for the Texans. Go get a real line and then go take a swing at finding the real franchise QB to put behind it.
You can go get your franchise guy...its not like u have to start him right away.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2013   #348
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 10032 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not that I disagree with you about going with a QB, but you could also argue that this is how Tom Brady won his rings, on the back of a great defense. Seems weird to say it now, though.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #349
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If I didn't go OT in the 1st it's because I took Barr . I like Murray in the 3rd with Mathews better than I like a QB in the top 5 . Heck ... I'd take Gabe Jackson G in the 2nd because I'm not really into the ZBS anymore to go with Mathews and Murray .

My favorite QB as far as talent goes is Hundley from UCLA . He may be perfect for the Texans cause he's playing with 3 freshman OL and runs for his life .
Old 11-18-2013   #350
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
You can go get your franchise guy...its not like u have to start him right away.
Very few teams ever sit him though. Things run too fast in todays NFL to draft a "savior" and then bench him while someone else takes the reigns. The teams that can do that have a quality entrenched starter (Favre/Rogers for example) and we aren't one of those teams.

We'll pick a talented puppy and throw him to the wolves.
Old 11-18-2013   #351
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21706 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Why in my mock I have Rd 1 = Johnny Texan and Rd 2 = Brandon Scherff OT, Iowa. The Texans still have no answer to Andrew Luck and until they do expect more of the same.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #352
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if we get the top overall pick we are taking bridgewater.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #353
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think if we get the top overall pick we are taking bridgewater.
Ya know I watched Teddy vs UH and came away thinking he's not the best QB prospect . I wonder what's up with the gloves ? If it's to get a better grip cause he's got small hands see Tyler Wilson .
Old 11-18-2013   #354
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Ya know I watched Teddy vs UH and came away thinking he's not the best QB prospect . I wonder what's up with the gloves ? If it's to get a better grip cause he's got small hands see Tyler Wilson .
My friend said something similar the other day that had me laughing. "I can't take a QB that wears gloves top 5."
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #355
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
My friend said something similar the other day that had me laughing. "I can't take a QB that wears gloves top 5."
No Mr Mittens part ll
Old 11-18-2013   #356
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54157 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:

So I'm trying to understand what you're saying here. Basically if we don't use our first pick (that's one pick) on a OL then there is no way to make this OL good enough?

You won't find a poster here or anywhere that believes in building the trenches more than me. I want a OL or front seven D players every year early in The draft. But if you don't have one you cannot pass up a franchise QB. They are the rarest and most important commodity a team can have. I doubt I have to explain to you how big a difference it makes for a team to have a franchise QB.

Remember our second round pick is most likely at the top of the second round. We could easily pick up a high quality RT in that area. Quality guards can be had in the early third as well. Also don't forget about free agency. Now factor in that it is highly unlikely that you could get a franchise QB in any of those spots.

I know the risk of drafting QB early. Believe me I know. I was totally against drafting Carr. I wanted J Peppers. But that was a different situation. We had no foundation what so ever on the OL. Now we have a top tier LT and C and a couple of decent young players in Brooks and Quisinbarry. Hell I actually think Newton could possibly be a serviceable LG. possibly!

Add a high second round pick to that and a decent FA and the OL could turn around quickly.

Throw in the fact that manzel and bridgewater are both very good at avoiding the rush and this really is a no brainer if one or both test well AND are available when we pick.

Now if neither is available and or they don't test well then I'm all in on Mathews or one of the other top OL.
Old 11-18-2013   #357
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm still leaning towards clowney if we stay 34.

I think this defense is missing an edge presence like nobody's business.

Maybe when I get around to looking at other players I'll like another edge player more, but for now I still like clowney.
Even if they moved to a 4-3, Clowney/Watt at DE's with Mitchell and a daft pick at DT = instant pass rush.

I probably would draft Matthews over Clowney, but if the new regime wanted to play 4-3 Clowney would be my pick. Pass rush would be sick.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #358
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So I'm trying to understand what you're saying here. Basically if we don't use our first pick (that's one pick) on a OL then there is no way to make this OL good enough?

You won't find a poster here or anywhere that believes in building the trenches more than me. I want a OL or front seven D players every year early in The draft. But if you don't have one you cannot pass up a franchise QB. They are the rarest and most important commodity a team can have. I doubt I have to explain to you how big a difference it makes for a team to have a franchise QB.

Remember our second round pick is most likely at the top of the second round. We could easily pick up a high quality RT in that area. Quality guards can be had in the early third as well. Also don't forget about free agency. Now factor in that it is highly unlikely that you could get a franchise QB in any of those spots.

I know the risk of drafting QB early. Believe me I know. I was totally against drafting Carr. I wanted J Peppers. But that was a different situation. We had no foundation what so ever on the OL. Now we have a top tier LT and C and a couple of decent young players in Brooks and Quisinbarry. Hell I actually think Newton could possibly be a serviceable LG. possibly!

Add a high second round pick to that and a decent FA and the OL could turn around quickly.

Throw in the fact that manzel and bridgewater are both very good at avoiding the rush and this really is a no brainer if one or both test well AND are available when we pick.

Now if neither is available and or they don't test well then I'm all in on Mathews or one of the other top OL.
I agree with you philosophy. however 3 things make me want to go in a different direction.

1. Clowney is a once in a generation type pass rusher. 2. As Texian said at the top of Scherff,Ogbuehi,Hurst,Hickey should all be available in the 2nd rd and will have long careers.

3. I'm leery of taking a QB in this draft. I would rather use next season to see if Keenum can be the future at QB. If not I like Hogan or Petty in 2015 more than any QB in this yrs daft.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #359
Hervoyel
The Right Track

I just don't see a guy in this draft who is that "probably can't miss" franchise QB. I don't see him. I watched Bridgewater against UH like many of you and I came away very meh on him. Nor do I believe that Manziel is going to pan out like so many here do. I don't think he'll be effective for long in the NFL.

I don't see the next Luck or RGIII waiting on us and so I would prefer we tread water for a year and select the other half of our "bookends" in the form of Matthews. Then we can come back and look at the QB's coming out in 2015.

That's just my opinion. We're going to see what happens one way or the other in the years to come.
Old 11-18-2013   #360
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I agree with you philosophy. however 3 things make me want to go in a different direction.

1. Clowney is a once in a generation type pass rusher. 2. As Texian said at the top of Scherff,Ogbuehi,Hurst,Hickey should all be available in the 2nd rd and will have long careers.

3. I'm leery of taking a QB in this draft. I would rather use next season to see if Keenum can be the future at QB. If not I like Hogan or Petty in 2015 more than any QB in this yrs daft.
What's the chances we have a real opportunity to draft either of those guys next year? I'm fine with clowney or Mathews or BPA. Just as long as we don't pass up a franchise QB. Obviously we will know more after the combine.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read