Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Wolf6151

All Pro
I tried making up a mock last night but with so many questions surrounding the Texans at QB, with Antonio Smith reaching FA, and major needs at RT, CB, and OLB it's hard to decide where to go. That's 5 needs in the first 2 rounds. Needs in no particular order:

QB, I agree with the consensus opinion that Schaub needs to go but I doubt seriously the Texans will cut him at the end of this season due to the guaranteed money still owed him. And I agree with BB that Keenum is being groomed as his replacement, so I don't think the Texans will spend a 1st on a QB in 2014.

OLB, a stud OLB would free up the team to move Brooks Reed to ILB and kill 2 birds with 1 stone at the same time adding quality and depth to the LB corp as a whole. This would probably give us the biggest pay off in the 1st round.

RT, we desperately need to solidify the RT spot and gain some continuity and depth on the O-line. I had high hopes for Brennan Williams but after micro fracture surgery I doubt he ever plays a snap for us. Will Newton ever get over his injury and become a quality RT or do we replace him. Even if we replace him I don't think the Texans want to use a 1st on the RT spot.

DT/DE, this all depends on if Antonio Smith is re-signed, I sure hope he is, at a team friendly deal lowering his cap hit. I also don't see Jamison or Crick as the Ninja's replacement, neither has the pass rush ability.

CB, we need an upgrade in quality and depth in the secondary so that teams will quit picking on McCain and we need to stock up for the future. CB's take a while to develop so they have to be taken a year or 2 ahead of when you want them to start.

Opinions? Where do you think we spend that 2014 1st round pick, and if you can only fill 2 of these needs in the first 2 rounds, which are they?

DE, I don't think we can afford Antonio after this year unless he accepts a super friendly deal. This needs to be in the top 2.

After that I can't prioritize yet. My first response is RT but I think we won't because of our depth on IR.

QB for me, to watch and learn in Schaub's final year.

I honestly don't think Schaub is the QB going into next season .... they have an exit plan in place and I fully expect them to take advantage of it unless he has some miraculous turnaround over the final 3/4 of the season & no less than an appearance in the big game.

This roster is just too damn good everywhere else to let poor play at such an important position ruin its chances.

im thinking we go CB or ILB. typically we have drafted a replacement for a FA that will gone the year before so im thinking Rick Smith is going to try to keep the ninja as a DE wasnt drafted last year. also i think we have adequate depth at the position in jamison, crick and now montgomery, so even if smith does go i dont think we take one in the first round unless some unbelievable talent falls.

BQBA (Best Quarter Back Available). If that means move up in the draft order then so be it. Do Texans need a better QB? Maybe not but from a fans perspective, it's long overdue. This organization has tortured its fan base long enough with average play from the most important position on their beloved football team. C'mon Man! David Carr to Matt Schaub, is that the best you can do? Does that compare to Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck, or Brett Farve/Aaron Rodgers? Makes me sick. Stop treating your fans like ****, get a real QB for a real Football Team, any questions where to spend the 2014 1st rd. draft pick :deadhorse

I hope they not only pick a QB in the 1st rd but trade back into the 1st rd and pick Van Noy or Shazier.

I really like Barr for the Texans, but he will be long gone by the time the Texans pick.

Late 1st early 2nd rd QB's that could be available are Mettenberger/Murray/Manziel. (The M&M boys)

Anyone notice that McCarron has dropped to #91 on CBSSports? TBH other than my guy Verrett, I don't see anyone in first round screaming "I am your guy!" Trade down? If Marqise Lee returns from knee sprain healthy he could be BPA.

What if we went a different route and added Safety to that list of needs. How about Hasean Clinton-Dix-FS from Alabama? Ed Reed could easily be a one and done player for the Texans, Safety is definitely a need, if trying to save some money we could cut Manning (expecting a 1st round pick to start), and everything I've seen/heard/and read says that Clinton-Dix is an elite level Safety. I think he could vastly improve our secondary without waiting a year or 2 for a CB to adjust to the NFL. Worth considering in the 1st?

I really haven't watched as much tape as I should on McCarron, but does anyone really get a vibe that at his very best he's just going to be a step to the side rather than a step up from Matt Schaub? It's a really strange gut feeling I get, and (disclaimer) I have no proof or tape to back that up, but it bothers me for some reason because I have a feeling he will be there when we're picking and our FO is going to be tempted to pick him.

What if we went a different route and added Safety to that list of needs. How about Hasean Clinton-Dix-FS from Alabama? Ed Reed could easily be a one and done player for the Texans, Safety is definitely a need, if trying to save some money we could cut Manning (expecting a 1st round pick to start), and everything I've seen/heard/and read says that Clinton-Dix is an elite level Safety. I think he could vastly improve our secondary without waiting a year or 2 for a CB to adjust to the NFL. Worth considering in the 1st?

Ha-Ha Dix is a baller. There might be some red flags given the suspension as of late though.

I heard that Clinton-Dix hired an agent already, it's a really dumb thing to do but at least he's not out killing folks or doing drugs.

We really need a QB, but Kubiak is not going to move on from Schaub. That's his guy and he'll go down with him.

Since no QB, take BPA.

Anyone notice that McCarron has dropped to #91 on CBSSports? TBH other than my guy Verrett, I don't see anyone in first round screaming "I am your guy!" Trade down? If Marqise Lee returns from knee sprain healthy he could be BPA.

You can have McCarron .... I'd much rather have Aaron Murray or Tajh Boyd.

They wont be picking high enough for Bridgewater , Mariota or Hundley.

I really haven't watched as much tape as I should on McCarron, but does anyone really get a vibe that at his very best he's just going to be a step to the side rather than a step up from Matt Schaub? It's a really strange gut feeling I get, and (disclaimer) I have no proof or tape to back that up, but it bothers me for some reason because I have a feeling he will be there when we're picking and our FO is going to be tempted to pick him.

I don't at all disagree ... Just think he's a product of the system & talent around him at Bama. And to be quite honest , despite all that talent , that offense isn't very good. (That says a lot about the A&M defense sucking too now doesn't it ?!)

Well eliminated a couple positions from the above list of possibilities.

Safety, Clinton-Dix is the only guy worthy of a 1st round pick and he went and got himself kicked off the team by hiring an agent. I doubt the Texans go for someone making this kind of bone headed move.

QB, as badly as I want Schaub gone and someone else in his place, if it does happen I think it would be Keenum. I don't think we draft a QB early to replace Schaub.

DE/DT, the more I think about it the more I think Antonio Smith is gone after this season in FA (hate to see him go) and that his replacement is already here, Crick, Montgomery, or Jamison. It will most likely be Crick that gets a year to show that he can replace the Ninja.

OT, I don't see the Texans selecting a RT in the 1st round, maybe in the 2nd but most likely in the 3rd. It's possible but doubtful. I just don't think they value the position that high.

That leaves only OLB or CB. I think OLB offers us the most immediate bang for our buck because of the ability to fix 2 positions with 1 pick by moving Reed to ILB. Filling OLB might also depend on the development of Willie Jefferson who looked so promising in TC. This also seems like a very good year for CB so we might be able to wait until the 2nd to find a future starter and immediate quality depth. CB is a position that I want a stud at so I'd like to get the best one we can even if he doesn't play as a rookie and it's currently at the top of my mock draft.

Other than QB, what's your reasoning for taking another position in the 1st?

Safety, Clinton-Dix is the only guy worthy of a 1st round pick and he went and got himself kicked off the team by hiring an agent. I doubt the Texans go for someone making this kind of bone headed move.

QB, as badly as I want Schaub gone and someone else in his place, if it does happen I think it would be Keenum. I don't think we draft a QB early to replace Schaub.

DE/DT, the more I think about it the more I think Antonio Smith is gone after this season in FA (hate to see him go) and that his replacement is already here, Crick, Montgomery, or Jamison. It will most likely be Crick that gets a year to show that he can replace the Ninja.

OT, I don't see the Texans selecting a RT in the 1st round, maybe in the 2nd but most likely in the 3rd. It's possible but doubtful. I just don't think they value the position that high.

That leaves only OLB or CB. I think OLB offers us the most immediate bang for our buck because of the ability to fix 2 positions with 1 pick by moving Reed to ILB. Filling OLB might also depend on the development of Willie Jefferson who looked so promising in TC. This also seems like a very good year for CB so we might be able to wait until the 2nd to find a future starter and immediate quality depth. CB is a position that I want a stud at so I'd like to get the best one we can even if he doesn't play as a rookie and it's currently at the top of my mock draft.

maybe TE. OD's contract is coming up. but i guess GG has been playing well and Ryan Griffen looked really good during pre season so probably doesn't happen.

I think they go CB, because im not convinced that KJ stays after his contract is done, JJoe's cap is getting high and even though his improved game by game this season his still not at his best. and our backups are not top CB material so i think you get a guy now let him sit for a year then starts year 2.

My preference though would be to go ILB, i would love to have a 2 header monster at the Backer position much like the 49ers do.

Also i think its really really really unlikely we go QB, at least for this year maybe next but cant see it happening this year unless we win only 6 games or something like that

maybe TE. OD's contract is coming up. but i guess GG has been playing well and Ryan Griffen looked really good during pre season so probably doesn't happen.

I think they go CB, because im not convinced that KJ stays after his contract is done, JJoe's cap is getting high and even though his improved game by game this season his still not at his best. and our backups are not top CB material so i think you get a guy now let him sit for a year then starts year 2.

My preference though would be to go ILB, i would love to have a 2 header monster at the Backer position much like the 49ers do.

Also i think its really really really unlikely we go QB, at least for this year maybe next but cant see it happening this year unless we win only 6 games or something like that

TE won't happen in the 1st for the reasons you stated.

I agree with everything you said regarding CB, and agree it should be our 1st round pick. In this modern day pass happy NFL a team really needs 3 starting CB's.

I want that 2 headed monster in the middle as well, but I think it can be Cushing and Reed by drafting a stud OLB thus fixing 2 positions with one pick.

Feel the same about QB, very unlikely unless the bottom just drops out on this season and we've got way to much talent for that to happen.

An ILB that will fly up draft boards is Christian Jones out of Florida State. Big, fast and versatile. He can rush from the outside and can run with TEs in coverage. He's perfect for our defense.

It makes a lot of sense to cut Schaub next year, unless he gets back to top form, which is very doubtful.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/30/texans-can-escape-schaubs-contract-after-the-season/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/

The Texans will save $11M in 2014, $10M in 2015, and $19M in 2016.

If they don't think Yates or Keenum as Schaub's replacement, they should draft a QB high.
If they plan to use one of them, they can look for a QB that falls due to the depth of the class.

You can have McCarron .... I'd much rather have Aaron Murray or Tajh Boyd.

They wont be picking high enough for Bridgewater , Mariota or Hundley.

I don't at all disagree ... Just think he's a product of the system & talent around him at Bama. And to be quite honest , despite all that talent , that offense isn't very good. (That says a lot about the A&M defense sucking too now doesn't it ?!)
Thanks I will take him! Boyd will also be gone imo and I do like Murray who is shorter than AJ. McCarron is no more a systems QB than Murray. Both are very accurate passers who are good field generals.

On Dix, where are you getting your info? While suspension by coach was "indefinite" probably won't be but a few games per this link http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...alabama-expects-clinton-dix-to-miss-1-3-games

Also: If the loan was made to Clinton-Dix in order to pay for some of the lost items or damage to his vehicle, his biggest error was asking the wrong person in Alabama’s athletic department.
If an athlete suffers a misfortune such as having his or her car or home broken into and robbed, the institution has multiple options to help the student-athlete out. One is the Student Assistance Fund, the combination of the old Student-Athlete Opportunity and Special Assistance Funds. That is money which comes from the NCAA to pay for these types of misfortune or emergency expenses. http://fansided.com/2013/10/04/haha-clinton-dix-suspension-avoided/

Joseph's cap is pretty much the same next 3 years: 2013 (29 YOA) $11.25 2014 (30 YOA) $11.25 2015 (31 YOA) $12.25.

So here is a question, if Joseph can return to shutdown corner status, should we extend his contract couple years when he is 32 & 33 and lower his cap as we did Andre's? If so that reduces need for CB. Remember, KJ has a team option for 2014 for $2.9.

I'm an LSU fan so admittedly I'm a little biased here but what do you guys think of Mettenberger? He doesn't come with the athleticism of someone like Boyd but his arm strength is legit and he's been really decisive, especially on 3rd down.

It helps that he has ODB and Juice to throw to (Landry in particular has been insane this year; if not for our WR depth this year I'd want Houston to pick him up instead), though Mett has made some insane throws to get them the ball. Anyone see that third-and-long to Landry in double/triple coverage? Yeesh. :scare:

I'm an LSU fan so admittedly I'm a little biased here but what do you guys think of Mettenberger? He doesn't come with the athleticism of someone like Boyd but his arm strength is legit and he's been really decisive, especially on 3rd down.

It helps that he has ODB and Juice to throw to (Landry in particular has been insane this year; if not for our WR depth this year I'd want Houston to pick him up instead), though Mett has made some insane throws to get them the ball. Anyone see that third-and-long to Landry in double/triple coverage? Yeesh. :scare:
He is really helping himself so far this season but I just can't seem to get excited about him. I will wait him out and see how he does for few more games. I have Murray and McCarron ahead of him. Stats and size are good but when I watched him again today, I went "meh".

ps: I think we now know Miss State now what many thought a few weeks ago.

Joseph's cap is pretty much the same next 3 years: 2013 (29 YOA) $11.25 2014 (30 YOA) $11.25 2015 (31 YOA) $12.25.

So here is a question, if Joseph can return to shutdown corner status, should we extend his contract couple years when he is 32 & 33 and lower his cap as we did Andre's? If so that reduces need for CB. Remember, KJ has a team option for 2014 for $2.9.

didn't realise its so stagnate but its still quite high considering his play at the moment.
If he returns to his best then in my opinion no doubt you resign him, very hard to find top notch shutdown corners. his the cornerstone of our secondary especially when at his best. Im not optimistic he returns to where he was first year here so I'm probably taking a CB in rd1 for the reasons mentioned before

Best Player Available. Doesn't matter if its on offense or defense we can use ALL the help we can get. Maybe not as a first-round pick but I'm liking what I see from Ra'Shede Hageman he can play DE in a 3-4 or come in as a NT.

Before today's loss most mocks had us drafting at #14 and with the way this season is going I can see that being a real possibility. If we were drafting in the 12-14 range and all the elite level QB's are gone what would you guys say to a trade out of the 1st round and into the very early 2nd round. I don't know if any team has multiple 2nd round picks next year but I think we could get a very early 2nd along with that teams 1st in 2015, or 2nd and 3rd in 2015. We have multiple holes to fill and need more early round picks.

Before today's loss most mocks had us drafting at #14 and with the way this season is going I can see that being a real possibility. If we were drafting in the 12-14 range and all the elite level QB's are gone what would you guys say to a trade out of the 1st round and into the very early 2nd round. I don't know if any team has multiple 2nd round picks next year but I think we could get a very early 2nd along with that teams 1st in 2015, or 2nd and 3rd in 2015. We have multiple holes to fill and need more early round picks.

If all the QB's are gone then the only way another team would even entertain making that trade-up is if there was an elite-level player still on the board.

In that scenario, screw the trade and draft the elite level player. This team has plenty of holes, but trading back is not always the solution.

We got JJ Watt at #11, so it's not impossible to find an impact player at 12. If the QB they want isn't there, then go for one in the 2nd, or trade up to the back of the 1st round and grab someone. Teams at the bottom of the 1st are always willing to trade back.

We got JJ Watt at #11, so it's not impossible to find an impact player at 12. If the QB they want isn't there, then go for one in the 2nd, or trade up to the back of the 1st round and grab someone. Teams at the bottom of the 1st are always willing to trade back.

Yep Van Noy at 12 and Mettenberger at 25 would be ideal.

If the season ended today, we'd be drafting #10 overall. Does that change your mind on how to use that 1st round pick, or the now higher picks in successive rounds?

If the season ended today, we'd be drafting #10 overall. Does that change your mind on how to use that 1st round pick, or the now higher picks in successive rounds?

I checked the standings with the whole league on the NFL website and we're 9th from the bottom.

If that is the order of picks, it would be

Tampa Bay: (Teddy Bridgewater)
New York Giants: (Jadaveon Clowney, they need pass rush help)
Jacksonville: (Tajh Boyd)
Washington: (Not a Quarterback)
Pittsburgh: (Probably not a Quarterback)
Minnesota: (Brett Hundley)
Atlanta: (Not a Quarterback)
Oakland: (Possibly a Quarterback)
Houston:??????

Interesting question, ESPN's Rang and Brugler have the following:

Rang : Jags at # 12 selecting Jason Verrett corner & Boyd going # 15 with Zack @ #17

Brugler has Jags selecting Watkins WR and Boyd @ #15.

Depending on how each team drafted I'd go Boyd if there but would trade down into first and get solid player ( we need many) and get QB later. Also, I want to see how Keenum does. I would be happy with Murray or McCarron in second especially if I could land say HaHa Dix in first to replace Manning who is out this season or say Marqise Lee and say an Olineman with extra 2nd

@BB, I'm thinking about trading down in the first as well. I'd go for Marcus Roberson in the mid 20's and then take Aaron Murray in the early 2nd and then the best available OT or OLB with the other 2nd rounder. Trades are always fun to contemplate but the hard part is finding a trade partner. Who's going to want to trade up that high, and for what player?

Andrew Luck is about to win the division in his 2nd. If you don't have a guy at qb close to his talent,you won't ever win the division. The answer is that simple.

Thanks I will take him! Boyd will also be gone imo and I do like Murray who is shorter than AJ. McCarron is no more a systems QB than Murray. Both are very accurate passers who are good field generals.

Boyd could be the 4th or 5th QB taken in this draft .... behind Bridgewater , Mariota & Hundley and or Manziel too pending the underclassmen declare.

Who do you take given the option behind what appears at this point to be the obvious top three ?? (Choices - Boyd , Manziel , Mettenberger , Carr , Murray , McCarron & Morris)

@BB, I'm thinking about trading down in the first as well. I'd go for Marcus Roberson in the mid 20's and then take Aaron Murray in the early 2nd and then the best available OT or OLB with the other 2nd rounder. Trades are always fun to contemplate but the hard part is finding a trade partner. Who's going to want to trade up that high, and for what player?
Exactly but Browns do have two firsts a second and two thirds so could be a partner. Maybe they are still interested in Tate (if they ever were?). Ric SMith should be able to work something there if he wants to.

Boyd could be the 4th or 5th QB taken in this draft .... behind Bridgewater , Mariota & Hundley and or Manziel too pending the underclassmen declare.

Who do you take given the option behind what appears at this point to be the obvious top three ?? (Choices - Boyd , Manziel , Mettenberger , Carr , Murray , McCarron & Morris)
This is what excites me in mocking. Last week I watched several QBs and had this reaction:

McCarron solid and steady but weak opponent.

Boyd not as good as I wanted but still second best QB playing against good team.

Manziel best QB I watched, just kept coming & beat a good team. Height is only disadvantage for me.

Morris just does not do anything for me. I watched him last night (UNC) and went nuh uh.

Murray did not watch but really like him.

Mettenburger did nothing to move me so far this season.

Who would I pick IF Keenum flops? Manziel is too risky for us. If I could get McCarron in third over Murray in second, that would give the Alabama QB the edge. I think Bama destroys Arkansas.

Awful awful awful. He missed wide open throws. They won in spite of him (sadly...)
how did you think Tre Boston did last night? I saw his interception but announcers said that he had "messed up earlier" and I think it led to a TD. Do you think he can play corner at nickle? I am looking for DBs that can play CB and Safety. I still have Ahmad Black ahead of him.

how did you think Tre Boston did last night? I saw his interception but announcers said that he had "messed up earlier" and I think it led to a TD. Do you think he can play corner at nickle? I am looking for DBs that can play CB and Safety. I still have Ahmad Black ahead of him.

Tre Boston is interesting. Last season he was not impressive at all, a total JAG. This season something seems to have clicked. I thought he played a strong game last night, and he was one of the few bright spots against ECU. He's all over the field making plays.

I'd have to go back and watch the game again to see where he messed up.

He doesn't play man cover a lot so I can't comment on his corner skill. I haven't noticed it much this year and so I'm not real comfortable commenting on that. I know in years past he played some corner, and I think he has some this year but I need to go back and watch.

Awful awful awful. He missed wide open throws. They won in spite of him (sadly...)

Yeah, I never was big on Morris. Didn't understand the hype I was hearing about him earlier in the season. I like the UNC QB more.
I'm glad Miami won though (sorry) so that they have a better chance at being undefeated when they show up in Doak.

Boyd is gonna be the 2nd qb taken once the workouts start. Hundley is a smokescreen king,mariotta needs another year,manziel will hae his leadership questioned and his ability to read and thrw accuratley.

Boyd is gonna be the 2nd qb taken once the workouts start. Hundley is a smokescreen king,mariotta needs another year,manziel will hae his leadership questioned and his ability to read and thrw accuratley.

Back