Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-08-2013   #201
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This is why I would consider this draft a success if they ended up with

Nix
Murphy
Skov

These guys play hard all game long and are more alnog the line of Watt than Mitchell. Football means something to all of these guys. They eat and sleep it. You can never have too many guys like this on your team. Guys like these will help change the culture of this team.

Changing the culture is long overdue. IMHO
Only complaint I have is the lack of an elite talent at the RT spot .... I'd go with Nix and Skov in rounds 1 & 3 if I could get Cameron Erving or Antonio Richardson in round two .... just don't think either fall that far.

Seems that the Texans are "happy" (even if I'm not) with the combination of Newton & Harris on the right side .... So going with Nix in the first isn't out of the question.

I'm not against Murphy in the second either as its highly questionable at this point who is playing DE opposite Watt next season. That second rounder is critical tho .... and could be spent on any number of positions , DE and CB among them cause JJo has been .... poor.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #202
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Only complaint I have is the lack of an elite talent at the RT spot .... I'd go with Nix and Skov in rounds 1 & 3 if I could get Cameron Erving or Antonio Richardson in round two .... just don't think either fall that far.

Seems that the Texans are "happy" (even if I'm not) with the combination of Newton & Harris on the right side .... So going with Nix in the first isn't out of the question.

I'm not against Murphy in the second either as its highly questionable at this point who is playing DE opposite Watt next season. That second rounder is critical tho .... and could be spent on any number of positions , DE and CB among them cause JJo has been .... poor.
i would be very happy with nix due to the points outlined previously. also i have a soft spot for Notre Dame (i might get neg repped for this lol) and to have a golden domer on the team would be nice
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #203
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not as worried about RT now as I was earlier in the season. I still have high hopes for Q and Williams on the OL and with case being mobile as he is should help a lot.

I'm leaning towards

1.) Nix
2.) Hart DE Oregon
3.) Skov
Old 11-09-2013   #204
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Who are the guys to watch today (local TV only, I don't have ESPN)?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013   #205
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

If we don't resign Antonio Smith and we want to address DE in round 1, Timmy Jernigan is a good player.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013   #206
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
If we don't resign Antonio Smith and we want to address DE in round 1, Timmy Jernigan is a good player.
I like Aaron Donald
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013   #207
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Who are the guys to watch today (local TV only, I don't have ESPN)?
You should try to make it to mobile for the senior bowl. Its pretty good watching up close and kicking it with kirwan afterwards and picking his brain about how things work we aren't privy to. I'm focused on qbs,nt,and dbs this year.
Old 11-09-2013   #208
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I'm not as worried about RT now as I was earlier in the season. I still have high hopes for Q and Williams on the OL and with case being mobile as he is should help a lot.

I'm leaning towards

1.) Nix
2.) Hart DE Oregon
3.) Skov
I said this in another thread somewhere .... I get the idea that the team is pretty satisfied with the play of Newton & Harris @ RT , I doubt they go RT that early .... but I would pending who's left to pick and choose from. Ive seen enough of Newton to realize he's more or less a career backup and the position needs to be addressed and with Wade Smith likely gone after the season , Quessenberry likely takes over there.

Too bad we don't have half a dozen first round picks + the rest of our draft to fix ..... everything that's broken.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 11-09-2013   #209
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

"Nix had an MRI over the weekend and it showed no serious damage, though Irish coach Brian Kelly said during a news conference Tuesday that the injury eventually will require surgery. Kelly also said that on the advice of team doctors and trainers, Nix had undergone platelet-rich plasma therapy in the past two weeks."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...nee-tendinitis

Will be interesting to see how well & how much he plays against Pittsburgh tonight. Also I will be focusing on QB Tom Savage for 3rd day Texans.

Last edited by badboy; 11-09-2013 at 11:18 PM.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013   #210
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I said this in another thread somewhere .... I get the idea that the team is pretty satisfied with the play of Newton & Harris @ RT , I doubt they go RT that early .... but I would pending who's left to pick and choose from. Ive seen enough of Newton to realize he's more or less a career backup and the position needs to be addressed and with Wade Smith likely gone after the season , Quessenberry likely takes over there.

Too bad we don't have half a dozen first round picks + the rest of our draft to fix ..... everything that's broken.
I'm hoping one of Quessenberry/Williams/Newton will claim the RT position for the next 5-10 yrs. Then there should be an OG that could be drafted in the top of the 4th rd like Burnette from Ga. or Halapio from Fla.

You could draft a C like Larsen or Stork. Converted OT's like Cornelius Lucas or Donald Hawkins have the athletic abilty/size to play OG in a ZBS. The Texans have many options as to how they value OL in this draft.

The point is if the Texans get everybody back healthy the need for a RT goes down quite a bit. I wish that Newton wouldn't have been rushed back. We really dont have a clear idea how good/bad a healthy Newton is. The Texans are due for some good luck.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013   #211
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I'm hoping one of Quessenberry/Williams/Newton will claim the RT position for the next 5-10 yrs. Then there should be an OG that could be drafted in the top of the 4th rd like Burnette from Ga. or Halapio from Fla.

You could draft a C like Larsen or Stork. Converted OT's like Cornelius Lucas or Donald Hawkins have the athletic abilty/size to play OG in a ZBS. The Texans have many options as to how they value OL in this draft.

The point is if the Texans get everybody back healthy the need for a RT goes down quite a bit. I wish that Newton wouldn't have been rushed back. We really dont have a clear idea how good/bad a healthy Newton is. The Texans are due for some good luck.
Going into next season we have to add somone to the mix as a rt. Be it a rookie or a free agent. I see Q as a left guard and I'm ok with brooks as right guard. If b.wiIlliams works out, great but I'm planning as if he won't. If you want Case or any other qb to succeed the ol has to be legit.
Old 11-09-2013   #212
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
"Nix had an MRI over the weekend and it showed no serious damage, though Irish coach Brian Kelly said during a news conference Tuesday that the injury eventually will require surgery. Kelly also said that on the advice of team doctors and trainers, Nix had undergone platelet-rich plasma therapy in the past two weeks."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...nee-tendinitis

Will be interesting to see how well & how much he plays against Pittsburgh tonight. Also I will be focusing on QB Harris for 3rd day Texans.
Dang Savage led Pittsburgh to upset of Notre Dame am I good or what? 22/35 243 two TDs no INTs.
Old 11-09-2013   #213
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Going into next season we have to add somone to the mix as a rt. Be it a rookie or a free agent. I see Q as a left guard and I'm ok with brooks as right guard. If b.wiIlliams works out, great but I'm planning as if he won't. If you want Case or any other qb to succeed the ol has to be legit.
My sentiments exactly, and you probably said it alot better than I could have. Q at LG, Brooks at RG, and don't count on Brennan Williams for nothing.

I think we need to trade down from top 10 to around 20-22 in order to add an extra 2nd round pick and then spend it on an OT. I'd be looking hard at James Hurst and/or Cedric Ogbuehi in the 2nd round. Whomever our QB is next year, he needs better protection than we've got right now.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #214
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Dang Savage led Pittsburgh to upset of Notre Dame am I good or what? 22/35 243 two TDs no INTs.
Considering Pittsburgh took the 'NCG-calibre' Irish to triple OT last year, I'm nit too surprised. Congrats to Pittsburgh, however.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #215
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

My Nix scouting review. (just finished watching Pitt vs ND, 2nd time)

Nix is not strong enough to play NT in the NFL. He is easily blocked and does not anchor well. Pitt easily blocked him with one interior OL. On Pitt's first TD drive after about 10 plays Nix was noticeably gassed and may have affected and led to ineffective play the rest of the game. Nix does not move or control the line of scrimmage and spends to much time on the ground for a NT. It would be a mistake for Nix to come out early. He needs to stay in school and get stronger and improve his abilities and skills.
Old 11-10-2013   #216
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
My Nix scouting review. (just finished watching Pitt vs ND, 2nd time)

Nix is not strong enough to play NT in the NFL. He is easily blocked and does not anchor well. Pitt easily blocked him with one interior OL. On Pitt's first TD drive after about 10 plays Nix was noticeably gassed and may have affected and led to ineffective play the rest of the game. Nix does not move or control the line of scrimmage and spends to much time on the ground for a NT. It would be a mistake for Nix to come out early. He needs to stay in school and get stronger and improve his abilities and skills.
Nix is playing on a bad knee and will probably have surgery after the season.

look at some of the games he played earlier this season or last yr.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #217
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe we need a thread of where to spend the 2014 2nd round pick?

I would put Nix III top of that list

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #218
Texian
Hall of Fame

Nix missed entire series in the 2nd half presumably due to fatigue. I don't expect Nix to play more than 30% of defense's snaps in any given game in the NFL. I also scouted Ian Williams who preceded Nix. Williams was a better player.
Old 11-10-2013   #219
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
maybe we need a thread of where to spend the 2014 2nd round pick?

I would put Nix III top of that list
I doubt he falls that far .... He probably isn't a top 15 guy but he's the #1 prospect at a position at least a dozen teams could improve upon. Only about 5-6 top quality NT's in the league - Wilfork , Raji , Ngata , Poe and a couple others. Everyone else is looking for that kinda player ...

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 11-10-2013   #220
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Nix missed entire series in the 2nd half presumably due to fatigue. I don't expect Nix to play more than 30% of defense's snaps in any given game in the NFL. I also scouted Ian Williams who preceded Nix. Williams was a better player.
This was Nix first game in three weeks and he went out against Pitt due to his knee and then returned. He is still recovering from his shoulder also. Why do you say it was fatigue "presumably"? Anything to support that? I only watched game once but did see him get past his blockers three times in short period of time. The announcers even mentioned he was taking up blockers allowing teammates to be productive. They then reminded audience that Tuitt was ejected for targeting. Surely you know that impacted entire defense including Nix?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read