Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-16-2013   #1
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Would You Trade Watt for the #1 Pick?

I realize this won't be a popular idea , but the fact is this team is bad, but not bad enough to land a top 5 pick this year. I believe we will be a 6 or 7 win team, which would put us around 9-15th pick in the draft this year, depending on how everyone else does.

Currently, the Giants, Jaguars and Bucs are all winless, and don't look like they will improve much as the year goes on. The Giant's defense is absolutely terrible, and they can't stop anyone. The only way they will win a game this year is if Eli goes off and outscores the other team. That certainly could happen, but for the fun of it, let's look at what happens if they both go 0-16.

When two teams have the same record in the regular season, the tiebreakers for draft pick order are as follows:

Quote:
Strength of schedule for the previous season is the first tie-breaker for teams with the same winning percentage. The team with the lowest strength of schedule percentage wins the tiebreaker and picks ahead of all other teams with the same record.

Divisional and conference records are the next step in the tie-breaking procedure.

As a last resort, a coin toss is used to determine the order of selection for teams with the same winning percentage.
Besides their division, the Giants play the NFC North, the AFC West, the Panthers and the Seahawks. Currently a SOS of .686.

Besides their division, the Jaguars play the NFC West, AFC West, the Browns and the Bills. Currently a SOS of .722.

You can see now that Jacksonville isn't assured the top pick in the draft by losing out. They could be dependent on how their competition does, and right now our division has 2 more wins than the NFC East. The AFC West is a wash for these two teams, because they are common opponents. The same can be said of the Seahawks, because the Giants play them. That Seahawks matchup is really key for the Giants because it nullifies one of the best teams the Jags would play, thus taking away a 12+ win team that could have been the difference. So if you're rooting for the Giants to get the #1 overall pick, you want the Browns, Bills and AFC South to win a lot of games.

In any case, there is a realistic chance that the Giants would win this tiebreaker and end up with the #1 pick if they lose out. But what would the Giants do with that pick? I don't think they are in the market for a QB, Eli is 32 and has plenty of game left in him, but their defense needs a complete makeover. Jadeveon Clowney is an interesting prospect, but I think a well-run organization like the Giants will know better than to take a chance on him. So I'm suggesting we could make a move to trade JJ Watt for it, because he is a proven commodity and would be a beast in their 4-3.

I love JJ, and I don't want to see him go, but the fact is great defensive players don't win you championships, but QBs can. If you think Bridgewater is truly a franchise QB for the future that has the potential to win a Super Bowl, then I think this move makes sense. We are going to be rebuilding next year, so this would be a major step towards that. Getting a QB of the future is more important than anything else.

So would you do it? Would you take Teddy Bridgewater with the #1 pick or some other QB? Do you think it would take more than Watt to get the #1 pick? Maybe Watt and our #1, whatever that ends up being. It's just a thought, and could be used for mocks if anyone wants to use the idea.
Old 10-16-2013   #2
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would You Trade Watt for the #1 Pick?

Heeeeell Vuggin' NO! Not even if I was smoking blue meth out of one side of my mouth while I had a crack pipe in the OTHER.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell no.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #4
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80683 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

That would be hilarious only because it'd piss off thousands of women in the Houston area who are all of a sudden huge Texans fans and have invested a lot of money on pink Watt jerseys. I wouldn't trade Watt for a draft pick because you don't know what you're getting. In the entire NFL I'd only trade him for Aaron Rodgers and maybe Andrew Luck but that's it.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #5
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade potentially the best Defensive Lineman to ever play the game?

Wouldn't doubt that it has run through Ricks mind ...

Hell no!
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nope
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #7
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Heeeeell Vuggin' NO! Not even if I was smoking blue meth out of one side of my mouth while I had a crack pipe in the OTHER.
Agreed. I couldn't have said it any better.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2013   #8
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bridgewater isn't worth Watt, IMO. If I could trade Watt for Andrew Luck, I would. Not so for Bridgewater. We've got good talent in this coming class but not 2012 talent, I don't think. That class of Luck, RGIII, Wilson, and Tannehill might go on to win quite a few rings between the four of them.

Outside the Bridgewater, Boyd, Hundley trifecta, there is no one I really really want for this team (Manziel is just a homer pick, I really think he'd be better off in Philly or something). And I'm not sure I like them enough to trade Watt.

Not to mention I would never trade Watt to the Jags lol
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #9
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 45235 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

You don't trade young proven awesomeness for undrafted potential.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
If I could trade Watt for Andrew Luck, I would.
I have to agree, changing my earlier opinion. But nothing in this class is > Watt.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #11
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

No way in hell. I understand what you're getting at, but this Defense is Watt / Cushing then everyone else.
Old 10-16-2013   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

What?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

No..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Nope. All the explaining in the world is not going to convince me that there is a draft pick in the next class that is worth what Watt brings to the field.
Old 10-16-2013   #15
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemp View Post
you don't trade young proven awesomeness for undrafted potential.

^^^^this^^^^
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Redskins traded 2 firsts and a second to get RG3...

So far, Watt > the 3 players trying to stop him.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

No way in hell.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #18
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's be clear here....

the only way you consider trading JJ Watt is if he and his agent demand a $100 million/$20 million a year contract. (which is very likely, expect it) familiarize yourself with Reggie White's 1st Green Bay contract.

then and only then would you consider trading JJ Watt

and let's be clear here......

you would only trade JJ Watt for nothing less than (3) THREE FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS, and maybe more. (see Herschel Walker)

and if that doesn't work out....

you Franchise JJ Watt for the next 2 years.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #19
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
You don't trade young proven awesomeness for undrafted potential.
this^^^^^
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #20
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

You should't even try to start a thread with trading Watt idea! This is just crazy to me.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read