Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Is the SB Window Closing?
YES 46 66.67%
NO 23 33.33%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2013   #61
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is the Super Bowl window closing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Anyone who has ever believed we've had a Super Bowl calibre team has not watched much football.
Where are those BoB/Smubiak pompoms?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #62
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

to win a SB there has to be a bit of luck involved

in the playoffs the team that wins usually has like 3 or 4 big plays like either the other team inflicts self damage or like some freak catch or something on ST

and same with the SB game like 2 or 3 plays

so its like 6 PLays are the difference between the playoff teams
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #63
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

The things I would do for a capable QB ....

The window is closed on Schaub IMO , he's never been the same guy since the shoulder injury & the lisfranc just compounded the issues. He's gone from solid game manager to .... a mistake waiting to happen.

The rest of the team I believe has several seasons of hope in front of them ... pending they can find a suitable qb.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #64
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 137757 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not closing but the two idiot contractors have painted the window pane and its stuck.
Old 10-03-2013   #65
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The things I would do for a capable QB ....

The window is closed on Schaub IMO , he's never been the same guy since the shoulder injury & the lisfranc just compounded the issues. He's gone from solid game manager to .... a mistake waiting to happen.
I'm pretty close to being my old "don't believe what I'm saying" Optimistic self again, so... might as well start now.

Joe Flacco sucks. He sucked last year from September to December. If that fck can win a Super Bowl while Ray Rice was AWOL & Baltimore's bend but don't break defense really stretched the definition of bend & break...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The rest of the team I believe has several seasons of hope in front of them ... pending they can find a suitable qb.
Schaub can get it done if Arian can be that dynamic workhorse we remember & our defense can play like they have the last 4 games.

We just need Schaub to be able to recognize when failure is not an option & be good enough at that time to put our team in position to score. For that last game, it was after the Lynch fumble. A TD there would have been the dagger to put Seattle to bed & get them thinking about the plane ride home.

jmo.

& yes, I absolutely believe he can get it done in those situations. In that particular situation, all he had to do was set his feet & take a look in the back of the end zone. He got out of the pocket & bought himself some time. Just didn't use it to the best of his ability.
Old 10-03-2013   #66
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think of SB windows as closing. You are either a SB caliber team or not.

Are the 1-3 Falcons window closing? 2-2 49ers? 2-2 Bengals?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #67
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1035 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

When was it ever open for this franchise exactly?
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2013   #68
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 71945 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Super Bowl? With one foot in the grave already? The window is closing.........and the door doesn't look too promising either.

Have to agree here. ^

Window is slammed shut, nailed down, bricked over.

Am I the only one who noticed AJ's body language while sitting on the bench late in the game. Resignation has set in on AJ. He will say all the right things, always has, but the look was undeniable. He knows.

John 13:34-35 ďA new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you are also to love one another.
cuppacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #69
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 71945 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
to win a SB there has to be a bit of luck involved

in the playoffs the team that wins usually has like 3 or 4 big plays like either
Quote:
the other team inflicts self damage
or like some freak catch or something on ST

and same with the SB game like 2 or 3 plays

so its like 6 PLays are the difference between the playoff teams

Like the Texans propensity to throw pick sixes?

John 13:34-35 ďA new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you are also to love one another.
Old 10-04-2013   #70
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm pretty close to being my old "don't believe what I'm saying" Optimistic self again, so... might as well start now.

Joe Flacco sucks. He sucked last year from September to December. If that fck can win a Super Bowl while Ray Rice was AWOL & Baltimore's bend but don't break defense really stretched the definition of bend & break...

Schaub can get it done if Arian can be that dynamic workhorse we remember & our defense can play like they have the last 4 games.

We just need Schaub to be able to recognize when failure is not an option & be good enough at that time to put our team in position to score. For that last game, it was after the Lynch fumble. A TD there would have been the dagger to put Seattle to bed & get them thinking about the plane ride home.

jmo.

& yes, I absolutely believe he can get it done in those situations. In that particular situation, all he had to do was set his feet & take a look in the back of the end zone. He got out of the pocket & bought himself some time.
Quote:
Just didn't use it to the best of his ability

Speaking of optimism. Hang in there TK.

Old 10-04-2013   #71
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post

Am I the only one who noticed AJ's body language while sitting on the bench late in the game. Resignation has set in on AJ. He will say all the right things, always has, but the look was undeniable. He knows.

It's his own fault. If anyone can do anything about it, it's him. He don't need to go all T.O. on Schaub, but a little bit of:

could go a long way.
Old 10-04-2013   #72
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25616 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans do have a lot of good young talent as well. Even after some of the older players on the team retire we should still be in pretty good shape. The question will be whether or not we can get lucky and find ourselves a franchise quarterback for the many years ahead. I'm sure 31 other NFL teams ask themselves that same question when their current quarterback is old. What will the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots look like in a few years? They will probably suck and pick high in the draft for a couple years in a row.
Old 10-04-2013   #73
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 92841 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Sure it is closing. It's kind of like buying a new car. The moment you drive it off the car lot, it loses value. It's the natural evolution of things. You build it up, over time, it loses pieces, or those pieces get worn out. Everything that rises must fall. Except taxes.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #74
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Sure it is closing. It's kind of
Quote:
like buying a new car
. The moment you drive it off the car lot, it loses value. It's the natural evolution of things. You build it up, over time, it loses pieces, or those pieces get worn out. Everything that rises must fall. Except taxes.

Did Texan fans buy a Yugo?

Old 10-04-2013   #75
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Flacco's rear opening has yet to close after that Bills' game.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #76
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 92841 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Did Texan fans buy a Yugo?

No.. they bought a Schaub. Hahahahaha!

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #77
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
So you believe that when the Texans were sitting at 11-1 last season heading into the MNF game with New England, those that thought the Texans were Super Bowl contenders were NFL neophytes? Because I could come up with a list of NFL commentators a mile long that suggested just that at that time.

If the Texans have never been contenders, 8 years into the Smithiak era, you must think the Texans are spinning their wheels with the current football organization. Right?
And suddenly the commentators are knowledgeable...

I don't know if they're spinning their wheels or not - I'm not an NFL GM and I don't pretend to be one on here. It's simply an opinion, one I think is rather viable.
Old 10-04-2013   #78
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been watching this poll for days and have decided that there is no "Super Bowl window". Was the Colts window closed after Peyton went out the door? Certainly Two years later does it look like they're back in the hunt? Absolutely. Year in and year out does New England ever talk about their window closing? Hell no. Teams in this league that draft well and manage their cap never worry about windows. They can make a run at any time and if the Texans aren't trying to be one of those teams then they're wasting their time and ours.

There is no window for the team. For individual players of course there is but that's true for every player on every team in the league.
Old 10-04-2013   #79
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I've been watching this poll for days and have decided that there is no "Super Bowl window". Was the Colts window closed after Peyton went out the door? Certainly Two years later does it look like they're back in the hunt? Absolutely. Year in and year out does New England ever talk about their window closing? Hell no. Teams in this league that draft well and manage their cap never worry about windows. They can make a run at any time and if the Texans aren't trying to be one of those teams then they're wasting their time and ours.

There is no window for the team. For individual players of course there is but that's true for every player on every team in the league.
I think a big part of it is having every member of your organization believing you can win. If you've got a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning in your locker room, it's "easier" to believe.

Baltimore's window was closing, may be shut now, may be starting to open again. There are still alot of players on that roster that may continue to believe in what Harbaugh is selling, because they just did it.

Our locker room.... I'm worried it's only a matter of time before our locker room stops believing & start the lip-service game.
Old 10-05-2013   #80
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8871 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it was cracked a little in 2011.
2012 looked open but not really. Got smoked by good teams.
2013 only open if one of the backup QB's are ready and GK changes philosophy.
Future could change with new QB. (and coach)
My opinion
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read