Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2013   #1
awc713
Rookie

Rep Power: 247 awc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kareem OT penalty question

Hey guys,

I've been watching the Tejanos since '02, and I don't think I've seen a worse penalty against the Texans (both because of timing, and ruling) than the Kareem personal foul late in OT, where he was penalized for tackling the WR.

Can someone give me any insight as to why this was a flag? He tackled the guy...last time I checked, this is football. Should he have let the WR kept going?
awc713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #2
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58316 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kareem OT penalty question

The way it was explained is that since he thrust his hips out to lift the guy off the ground it was unnecessary roughness.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #3
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe it is against the rules to body slam a player in Powder Puff football.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #4
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 1265 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe it was because he kinda picked him up and slammed him, but I was a bit puzzled as well. Perhaps they changed the rule because I used to see that type of tackle quite frequently. If they did change it, then Kareem should have known it. If not, then that was a puss call.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #5
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the whistle blew before the body slam
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
The penalty was with the tackle itself, not whether it was after the whistle or not.

The rules state that you cannot lift a player to where his feet are off the ground while making a tackle.
Old 09-30-2013   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Bogus penalty, but moot if there wasn't a pick 6 thrown.

*Yes, I sound like a broken record by saying this over and over*
Old 09-30-2013   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

What really upset me was that Kj was by himself trying to tackle that guy for a long time. Where was his support? Texans should have been flying to the ball.
Old 09-30-2013   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
I believe it is against the rules to body slam a player in Powder Puff football.
I can see myself hating the NFL in ten years. I wish Mel Blount and Night Train Lane could pay a back alley visit to Goodell.
Old 09-30-2013   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
I think so too ... the guy's forward momentum had been stopped and the whistle began at about the same time as the upward motion of the tackle .... the impact was post whistle.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #11
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
The way it was explained is that since he thrust his hips out to lift the guy off the ground it was unnecessary roughness.
I saw seahawks do the same to AJ and Tate earlier in the game the EXACT same way. BULL ISHT penalty IMHO.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #12
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
It gets worse every year.

I'm not blaming KJ at all, in fact I'm praising him. He understands every yard counts in this situation and is playing with a mean streak and aggressiveness you like to see in any defensive player.
Old 09-30-2013   #13
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Bogus penalty, but moot if there wasn't a pick 6 thrown.

*Yes, I sound like a broken record by saying this over and over*
Well if you're going to play that game, then the pick 6 wouldn't have happened if Ben Tate didn't fumble the ball, if KJ just pushed Baldwin out of bounds, if the defense stopped Wilson on that 4th down play.

Lots of guys screwed up to lose this game, Schaub just made the most visible one (and most boneheaded one).

Back to the OP, dumb a** call. You HAVE to consider the situation, because that call basically handed them the win. Most of my Seahawks friends admit they were gifted this win, that call was one of those gifts.

KJ should have asked the ref, "So why don't you show me how to tackle this bigger dude without giving up extra yards!"
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Well if you're going to play that game, then the pick 6 wouldn't have happened if Ben Tate didn't fumble the ball, if KJ just pushed Baldwin out of bounds, if the defense stopped Wilson on that 4th down play.

Lots of guys screwed up to lose this game, Schaub just made the most visible one (and most boneheaded one).

Back to the OP, dumb a** call. You HAVE to consider the situation, because that call basically handed them the win. Most of my Seahawks friends admit they were gifted this win, that call was one of those gifts.

KJ should have asked the ref, "So why don't you show me how to tackle this bigger dude without giving up extra yards!"
That cost them the game
Old 09-30-2013   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Body slamming impacts the head and spine and those are now off the target list. We went through this years ago when the horse collar became a penalty. It matters little if fans think it is a penalty or not. Like the red light camera when that came out; don't do the crime and there will be no "time". KJ is a dumb ass for doing it just like last game's penalty on him and looks ever dumb assier in his after game comments.

I enjoy watching good solid tackles but not crapola like KJ. Why not some Brazilian choke holds and ankle bars? A good finger poke in the eye? Hey, it's football right?
MS not only one making DA plays.
Old 09-30-2013   #16
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw Richie Incognito do much worse to Brian Cushing last year after Cushing intercepted the ball. He tried to pile drive him on his head right in front of the ref. No call. It hurt Cushing's shoulder pretty bad.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post

That's easy. You go low to the knees.
Old 09-30-2013   #18
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
That's easy. You go low to the knees.
Exactly. There would have been no penalty, no fine, the receiver just would have been out for the season.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I saw Richie Incognito do much worse to Brian Cushing last year after Cushing intercepted the ball. He tried to pile drive him on his head right in front of the ref. No call. It hurt Cushing's shoulder pretty bad.
A no call on another player in another game has nothing to do with KJ. As others have said, we should be asking where his help was.

Also if KJ is strong enough to pick the dude up and slam why could he not offer a good tackle to bring him down or at least hold him?
Old 09-30-2013   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
That cost them the game
After the pick six, the offense had the ball with almost 3 minutes on the clock.
  • We failed to score: Offense screwed the pooch.....
  • Seattle took a knee with 20 seconds to go, defense didn't really do anything
  • Seattle called tails, it was heads. We got the ball first
  • We pick up 20 yards, drive stalled, we punt: Offense screwed the pooch
  • Seattle starts on their 20, pick up 27 yards, punt: Good job defense
  • We get the ball at our 13, drive to the 40, stall, punt: Offense screwed the pooch. A field goal would have won it.
  • Lechler puts the ball in the endzone. Tate returns it to the 31: ST screwed the pooch
  • Seattle tacks on another 40 yards, 15 by way of penalty;They kick a field goal: Offense wasn't on the field, we lost the game.

The pick 6 didn't help us. The offense didn't help us from that point on. As a team, we lost that game.

It doesn't make sense to blame one side or the other. When the chips are down & you're being called to do your part, you either do it or you don't. The offense was outstanding for a good portion of the game, but they reached their limit, done all they could do somewhere in the 4th qtr. The defense played outstanding for a good portion of the game, but reached their limit at the end of OT.

Are we expecting too much of the defense? Yes, if you expected the Texans to win that game after the pick 6, because the offense had nothing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read