Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2013   #1
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Watt vs DeAndre

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...medium=twitter

Quote:
HOUSTON – A week ago after practice, Houston Texans rookie DeAndre Hopkins hit the weight room thinking he'd get in a quiet workout only to be challenged to a test of will by J.J. Watt, the league's reigning Defensive Player of the Year.

Hopkins, who leads all rookies with 243 receiving yards on 18 catches with one touchdown entering Sunday's showdown against the Seattle Seahawks, learned first-hand what makes Watt such a relentless playmaker.

Along the way, the kid with the 10-inch sized hands earned Watt's respect with moxie to match his triple-large, oversized receiver gloves.

"It was just me and him in there lifting, and J.J. just told me, 'You're not going to outwork me,''' Hopkins told USA TODAY Sports Friday. "I said, 'I promise you, I'll outwork you.'

"J.J. said, 'I like that.'''

The 27th overall pick in the April draft did his best to hang in there. But pretty soon, his arms were burning, turning to rubber.

"I was trying to keep up with J.J. and I couldn't,'' Hopkins says. "J.J.'s a real quiet guy, hard worker during the week. But I call him the Incredible Hulk. Come game day, he just becomes a monster.

"Yeah, I left the weight room before he left.''

But not before the former cornerback-turned-receiver, who earned the nickname "Superman'' at D.W. Daniel High in Central, S.C., left a strong impression on Watt with a beyond-his-years demeanor.

"DeAndre has got the right mentality – the biggest thing is he wants to be great, wants to put in the work,'' Watt told USA TODAY Sports. "He's showing all the time that he's a big playmaker. He's got all the tools and is doing all those things on the field.
Being mentored by Dre and JJ. I got your "beast mode" right here.
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Watt vs DeAndre

Saw that, good read. Gotta love those two.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #3
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Enjoyed the read, thanks for posting.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Saturday? They're lifting weights on the day before a game?

Well, whatever works.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post

Well, whatever works.
Believe it's a Friday.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83762 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Check this out...

Quote:
1. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Houston Texans

He has been a key entity on offense thus far, showcasing terrific hands and the ability to come through when the defense knows he's a likely target. He's playing like a five-year veteran, not a rookie with just three games under his belt. So far, he also has been the perfect complement to Andre Johnson, with 18 catches to Johnson's 25, and 26 targets to Johnson's 35. A couple of other things stick out to me. For one, Hopkins isn't just running in a straight line. He has shown a good diversity in his route running, and is showing some veteran chops. Secondly, he has exactly zero drops so far on 26 targets. When you add that up in the context of a position where it has been tough for rookies to deliver major impact year after year, you have the most impressive rookie to me so far.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...ookie-rankings

If only we didn't have to wait until Andre exits the game before Schaub starts throwing his way.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #7
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Check this out...

If only we didn't have to wait until Andre exits the game before Schaub starts throwing his way.
My excitement over Hopkins is tempered by his propensity for concussions. I hope it's not a chronic issue going forward.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2013   #8
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, whatever works.
Old 09-28-2013   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83762 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
My excitement over Hopkins is tempered by his propensity for concussions. I hope it's not a chronic issue going forward.

He's had 2 concussions and they didn't come in succession like what happened to Collie or Best. I'll start to worry if he gets dinged again this year. I used to box and have probably suffered what the NFL would call today.. 3 concussions. Collie and Best were down every time they got tagged.

If he goes down again this year with a head injury, my red flag will go up, because it'll be coming right off the heels of the one he just had. Right now I'm not that worried, especially since I think the one that happened in preseason was more precautionary. If it was the regular season I doubt he would've been held out. Dre and Prior's hits were way more vicious (especially Prior), but since it was the "regular season".. they made "great strides during the week" The NFL has lawyered up in the way they treat these injuries, but they haven't changed a thing.
Old 09-28-2013   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Check this out...

I don't know if I agree with the 5 year vet thing, but he looks to be as big a part of our offense as Julio Jones was in his second year. He's already getting more targets than OD... love OD, but we need a true #2WR & I'm glad to see Matt's looking at Hop like a true option.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-28-2013   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

This sounds like the people thinking Matt has a "propensity" for throwing pick 6s... history doesn't bear this out & Matt is pretty good about protecting the football in general.

Old 09-28-2013   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know if I agree with the 5 year vet thing, but he looks to be as big a part of our offense as Julio Jones was in his second year. He's already getting more targets than OD... love OD, but we need a true #2WR & I'm glad to see Matt's looking at Hop like a true option.

DHop getting more catches will only loosen the coverage on OD.

If Kubiak/Dennison will actually evolve and attack a defense with the passing game, this will result in more catches for all receivers and ope up this offense against any defense. Run to pass or pass to run becomes viable in any situation. Attack the defense instead of react to it.

DHop has everything you want to see in a rookie and I'm McLovin' the hell out of it. I'd bet a decent amount of money that by this time next year, DHop will battle JJ to a draw in the weight room. Both want to be the best at what they do. Watt appears to be somewhat influenced by Cush and DHop is being influenced by Watt. Greats trying to outdo greats. Championships are made with this synergy.
Old 09-28-2013   #13
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, whatever works.
Gotta get your lift on. That's how you get stronger.
Old 09-28-2013   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
DHop getting more catches will only loosen the coverage on OD.

If Kubiak/Dennison will actually evolve and attack a defense with the passing game, this will result in more catches for all receivers and ope up this offense against any defense. Run to pass or pass to run becomes viable in any situation. Attack the defense instead of react to it.
I think the "struggles" we're seeing on offense are a direct result of Kubiak "evolving" our offense right before our eyes. By week 5 or 6 we'll start gel'n

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but LeStar jean didn't step foot on the field vs Tennessee.... it was Posey. Pretty soon, he'll be the third WR to see the field & we'll only see Martin in 4 wide situations & in case of injury to one of the top 3.

Hopkins getting catches over OD Is much better for our offense than just "freeing up" OD.. Right now Hop is averaging 13.5 ypc...... Kevin Walter only averaged more than 13 ypc once in his career, 2008 (15 ypc)... that's going to increase the spacing for our offense for everyone, stretch the field. When Arian hits that cutback, the closest guy is going to be 10 yards behind the LoS covering a deep midrange zone.
Old 09-28-2013   #15
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Usually when a rook WR comes into the league he has to learn how to run routes. DeAndre Hopkins came equipped with the ability to run the entire tree.. Reason why he was described as the most NFL ready WR in the draft. What reservations do you have that make you disagree with the "5 year vet" statement? The dude has done and has exceeded everything that has been asked of him.
Old 09-28-2013   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
What reservations do you have that make you disagree with the "5 year vet" statement? The dude has done and has exceeded everything that has been asked of him.
Still looks like he's trying to prove himself. He's confident in his ability (far as I can see) not so much confident in the "fact" that he belongs.
Old 09-28-2013   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Still looks like he's trying to prove himself. He's confident in his ability (far as I can see) not so much confident in the "fact" that he belongs.
What??? A HOFer said Hopkins could be better than him and he's leading his entire draft class at his craft. I highly doubt he's "trying to prove himself" or has any doubts that 'he belongs". He's curenttly outperforming '5 year vets" on a daily basis
Old 09-28-2013   #18
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Personally, I'd like an entire roster of players with this mentality. They're hungry & won't be denied.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Personally, I'd like an entire roster of players with this mentality. They're hungry & won't be denied.
I'm not saying it as an insult. A 5 year vet acts a certain way. Hopkins doesn't so far. He carries himself better than a rookie..... very similar to the way Watt did his rookie year. But he's not acting like a 5 year vet.

Julio Jones is just coming to terms about his place on the team, about who he is in the NFL.
Old 09-28-2013   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not saying it as an insult. A 5 year vet acts a certain way. Hopkins doesn't so far. He carries himself better than a rookie..... very similar to the way Watt did his rookie year. But he's not acting like a 5 year vet.

Julio Jones is just coming to terms about his place on the team, about who he is in the NFL.
.. what! WTF are you talking about?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read