Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Freeman OUT Glennon IN

b0ng

Bad Hombre
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9720203/tampa-bay-buccaneers-bench-josh-freeman-mike-glennon

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have decided to bench quarterback Josh Freeman for rookie Mike Glennon, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

wow

edit:
ZrULigI.jpg

edit2:
w9h3jb.jpg

Josh Freeman a Texan in 2014? It wouldn't shock me. Somebody with some experience who's had two solid seasons in the NFL already in 2010 and 2012. I'd feel more comfortable with him than I do with Yates and Keenum. His completion percentage would drastically improve in Gary Kubiak's offense. He could probably make a few pro bowls if he played on a team with the talent the Texans have. He's only 25 years old too.

I should clarify: I'm not saying to run Matt Schaub out of town. I believe Josh Freeman can be our backup QB for a season or two - enough time to fully grasp Kubiak's system - assuming he's still our head coach. Schaub is already aging towards retirement even though he's barely 32 years old. That Lisfranc injury, even though it happened two seasons ago, affecting his play could be true. I didn't want to believe it but the proof is in the play. I can't imagine him playing much longer.

Bucs are a mess.

I'm not really a glennon fan but it doesn't matter if they don't develop their guys.

Josh Freeman a Texan in 2014?

as a minimum salary free agent, we'd be quick to bring him in. i doubt he'd get more attention than that though. he's been starting long enough to be damaged goods. too much needs to be fixed, i doubt anyone gives him a real shot at starting.

I have been rooting for Freeman but it's clear he doesn't have it. The dude has zero leadership qualities. I think the last straw was him sleeping in and missing the team photos. That just demonstrates his lack of commitment.

The sad thing is the team has a lot of talent and is actually pretty good. They are 2 plays away from being 2-1 and physically were beating down the Pats in the first quarter and a half. However they couldn't take advantage because of Freeman's bad play and the Pats finally got it going.

Glennon is wasted pick IMO. I don't see him being a NFL QB. Looks like the Bucs will be competing for a first round QB.

Freeman is talented. Maybe Kubiak could do something with him however he is not the answer to replace Schaub.

as a minimum salary free agent, we'd be quick to bring him in. i doubt he'd get more attention than that though. he's been starting long enough to be damaged goods. too much needs to be fixed, i doubt anyone gives him a real shot at starting.

Freeman could start for:

Jets
Jags
Browns
Cardinals
Titans
Raiders
Vikings

He would be better than anything those teams have on the roster. He's not a great QB, but he isn't a bum either.

This is just Greg Schiano showing once again that he is a classless douche.

Freeman could start for:

Jets
Jags
Browns
Cardinals
Titans
Raiders
Vikings

He would be better than anything those teams have on the roster. He's not a great QB, but he isn't a bum either.

Disagree with some teams on that list. Freeman has looked horrible this season. Geno Smith outplayed him head to head in week 1. Locker is outplaying him now. Hoyer looked better last week.

I have been rooting for Freeman but it's clear he doesn't have it. The dude has zero leadership qualities. I think the last straw was him sleeping in and missing the team photos. That just demonstrates his lack of commitment.

The sad thing is the team has a lot of talent and is actually pretty good. They are 2 plays away from being 2-1 and physically were beating down the Pats in the first quarter and a half. However they couldn't take advantage because of Freeman's bad play and the Pats finally got it going.

Glennon is wasted pick IMO. I don't see him being a NFL QB. Looks like the Bucs will be competing for a first round QB.

Freeman is talented. Maybe Kubiak could do something with him however he is not the answer to replace Schaub.
Agree on all counts, Bucs see the head start other teams are getting in tanking their season for draft position and decided they wanted in on the goodies.

This 'not putting your best 22 out there' is going to become a problem, I think.

Freeman could start for:

Jets
Jags
Browns
Cardinals
Titans
Raiders
Vikings

like i said, damaged goods. he wouldnt start for any of those teams. maybe as a rookie to be molded he had the talent to start for a handful of teams, but right now i doubt many would drop a poor starter for a poor starter.

like i said, damaged goods. he wouldnt start for any of those teams. maybe as a rookie to be molded he had the talent to start for a handful of teams, but right now i doubt many would drop a poor starter for a poor starter.

He would start for the Vikings and would be better than Ponder or Cassel. He can at least chuck the ball 60 or 70 yards to Jennings if need be (might not be all that accurate, but it'll at least get there), which is something neither of those guys can do.

I feel that Freeman has all the makings of a decent QB. The oversleep incident is inexcusable, but in the right organization, that or similar incidences would happen once and only once, and he would quickly be put in line. His support cast has been suspect, and I feel that if he were taken under the wing of a decent QB coach, his performance could easily be notched up significantly. JMO

There are rumors floating around the Tampa boards that Freeman parties too much and may have an aldon smith level problem with either alcohol and/or coke.

FWIW, you can find quotes around where I said I would rather have Freeman than Matt s. Primarily because of a younger player.

There are rumors floating around the Tampa boards that Freeman parties too much and may have an aldon smith level problem with either alcohol and/or coke.

FWIW, you can find quotes around where I said I would rather have Freeman than Matt s. Primarily because of a younger player.

I frequent one Bucs board and listen to a lot of Tampa sports radio during the day when I am running around and that's the first I have heard that. That said it wouldn't shock me. The guy sounds like a stoner (or always out of it) on his weekly radio show.

Something is definitely wrong with him. At times he has looked great (not this season however) and other times he looks like David Carr.

Schiano knew this was coming also. To me it was bizarre that Glennon was getting most of the reps during the preseason, especially after Freeman looked like utter dog crap on his only series. Now it makes sense because it's clear to me now that Schiano had no intention of keeping him on.

I just noticed also that the game is going to be blacked out on Sunday. The Texans game is showing on my Directv guide where the Bucs normally are.

I remember a writer has Glennon on the texans mock draft saying we should have drafted him

has far has Freeman o well this is the NFL on 32 QB's and 32 backups so there is not a lot of room for error

of what like the 500 million people in the United states only 64 can be a QB in the NFL that's crazy

that gets me thinking how many pick sixes can matt throw till he gets benched for yates or Keenum ...LOL

o and gleeon is huge height wise hes like taller then flacco but yeah

Freeman could start for:

Jets
Jags
Browns
Cardinals
Titans
Raiders
Vikings

I doubt the Jets are going to want Freeman over Geno

I doubt the Browns are looking to move on from the Hoyer era any time soon.

I wouldn't trade Locker for Freeman..... looks like he's starting to figure some things out.

Definitely not finished with the Pryor experiment in Oakland (& he's on my fantasy team)

& Ponder may not be as talented as Freeman, but he's a better QB so far.

Jags, Cardinals.... probably so.

I frequent one Bucs board and listen to a lot of Tampa sports radio during the day when I am running around and that's the first I have heard that. That said it wouldn't shock me. The guy sounds like a stoner (or always out of it) on his weekly radio show.

Something is definitely wrong with him. At times he has looked great (not this season however) and other times he looks like David Carr.

Schiano knew this was coming also. To me it was bizarre that Glennon was getting most of the reps during the preseason, especially after Freeman looked like utter dog crap on his only series. Now it makes sense because it's clear to me now that Schiano had no intention of keeping him on.

I just noticed also that the game is going to be blacked out on Sunday. The Texans game is showing on my Directv guide where the Bucs normally are.

http://www.bucschat.com/topic/35270-let-the-rumors-fly-freeman-having-drug-or-alcohol-problems/

Hoyer era? good lord

I bet Lombardi et al in Browns front office were screaming that Hoyer was supposed to lose games and improve their draft slot, not win. :lol:

Which brings up a point -- does the NFL have any kind of duty to be competitive clause for teams?

I was wondering while watching ESPN baseball analysts arguing about who's the better team and one said Team A's record was inflated because they played the Astros x-many more times than Team B did.

Next NFL draft class is supposed to have quality QBs, and I think you can see teams trying to tank for that. Seems awfully early to be throwing away 2013 season, and those fans are getting ripped off.

I have a hard time buying teams tanking in any case. In the NFL your resume is on film...they way you get paid is film. Once you destroy your ability to get a good contract and the team replaces you with someone who looks good on film, who did that really help anyway? I don't think players tank like fans think they do.

...I don't think players tank like fans think they do.
I don't think players tank, I think organizations tank. Cleveland as an example. Rumors were they were shopping Trent Richardson, Josh Gordon, and Joe Thomas. Throw in Joe Haden and that's the bulk of that team's quality.

I bet Lombardi et al in Browns front office were screaming that Hoyer was supposed to lose games and improve their draft slot, not win. :lol:

Which brings up a point -- does the NFL have any kind of duty to be competitive clause for teams?

I was wondering while watching ESPN baseball analysts arguing about who's the better team and one said Team A's record was inflated because they played the Astros x-many more times than Team B did.

Next NFL draft class is supposed to have quality QBs, and I think you can see teams trying to tank for that. Seems awfully early to be throwing away 2013 season, and those fans are getting ripped off.

I always got the impression that Elway started Tebow to tank games, he just Springtime for Hitler'd his way into the playoffs.

I have a hard time buying teams tanking in any case. In the NFL your resume is on film...they way you get paid is film. Once you destroy your ability to get a good contract and the team replaces you with someone who looks good on film, who did that really help anyway? I don't think players tank like fans think they do.

Hence, Caldwell is out Pagano is in.

Not bad for a QB coach.

Thanks AT, I wasn't aware of this board.

Bucs just announced that they have lifted all blackouts this season. I guess the Glaziers have decided to do what the Dolphins and Jags have been doing with buying out remaining tickets.

That means the Texans game won't be on locally so I have to head over to my brother in law's place.

Not a problem. Just rumored stuff anyway, but would make Freeman's career failure make more sense.

The decision to remove Freeman as the starter came as a surprise to some, in part because the Bucs twice lost games this season in which Freeman left the field for the last time with the Bucs holding a lead he’d helped produce.

That might not become a big part of Freeman’s legacy as a Buccaneer, but losing games late in the second half that Freeman put his team in position to win happened rather often during Freeman’s tenure.

Freeman was 24-35 as the starting quarterback, but 11 of those losses came in games in which the Bucs lost leads late in the fourth quarter, all but one in the final two minutes.
http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/no-turning-back-from-bucs-new-course-20130928/

Freeman was 24-35 as the starting quarterback, but 11 of those losses came in games in which the Bucs lost leads late in the fourth quarter, all but one in the final two minutes.
http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/no-turning-back-from-bucs-new-course-20130928/

Makes perfect sense to me. Can't bench your whole defense, or fire your defensive coordinator... got's to make an example of the starting QB...

Actually, this kind of thinking is a lot like my point about the defense. It doesn't matter that Freeman played well in the first three qtrs, if they need him to score in the 4th... they need him to score in the 4th.

Much like an NFL season. It doesn't matter what you do in September, or the first qtr. Every game, every possession has a lot more meaning (a whole lot more meaning) in December/the 4th qtr.

Of course, "it doesn't matter" is hypebole, of course it matters. Just not nearly as much as what happens as time is expiring. Nobody gives a sht who won the first game of the season. Everybody remembers who won the last.

This might have been an opportunity for Freeman to prove he was the guy who can lead this team to greatness. Saying, "Fck it, get me out of Tampa!!" was probably not the response they were hoping for.

Makes perfect sense to me. Can't bench your whole defense, or fire your defensive coordinator... got's to make an example of the starting QB...

Actually, this kind of thinking is a lot like my point about the defense. It doesn't matter that Freeman played well in the first three qtrs, if they need him to score in the 4th... they need him to score in the 4th.

Defense is the only thing the Bucs have going for them this season. They pounded the Saints and held them to 13 points most of the game.

Agreeing with your last point, when Freeman had a chance to put that game away by getting one last first down it didn't happen. The Bucs instead tried a FG to go up 17-13 but the guy missed. So the Saints get the ball, march down the field and win 16-14 on a last second FG.

IMO, if you can only give your defense 14 points to work with, they are going to lose against Brees almost every time.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport obtained a statement from Freeman in response to an ESPN.com report that the quarterback is in Stage One of the NFL's substance-abuse program. The statement reads as follows:

"Let me be very clear. I have NEVER tested positive for any illegal drugs or related substances. Further, I have agreed to take, and have PASSED 46 NFL-regulated drug tests over the last year and a half.

Since the confidentiality of my medical status has been publicly violated, I am choosing to address this matter so that grossly erroneous assumptions about me do not persist. Like millions of Americans, I have ADHD and I have been prescribed and permitted to take medication to treat this condition for the entirety of my NFL career. Well over a year ago, I took a different medication for the same condition (Ridilin rather than Adderall) , and to assure everyone that the error was a one-time mistake, I agreed to be voluntarily tested in the "NFL Program". Since that time, I have taken and passed all 46 drug tests I've been given, which test for every drug and banned substance imaginable. I agreed to allow such testing to be done at my workplace (team facility) because I spend all of my time there and I have nothing whatsoever to hide or be embarrassed about.

Unfortunately, it appears that some people who may have noticed the testing at my workplace have made hurtful and incorrect assumptions and chosen to disseminate inaccurate and very disturbing information. It is a shame that when times have gotten tough, people have chosen to attack the character of others, rather than supporting each other. I remain dedicated and focused to being the best quarterback I can be and to help a team win a championship."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...sh-freeman-ive-taken-and-passed-46-drug-tests

MMQB: One Big Mess

We know that the situation in Tampa is ugly, and getting uglier. In examining how we got to this point and what's next, one other thing is clear: The Bucs have painted themselves into a corner as their season circles the drain
In speaking with agents of several Bucs players recently, I have sensed a common theme: There is an atmosphere of fear and distrust under the current regime in Tampa. Players have told their agents about coaches roaming through the locker room (typically the players’ sanctuary away from coaches) and staff videotaping players on the sidelines during losses to single out players laughing or horsing around. The players also speak to the influx of multiple Rutgers players from Schiano’s past and the use of the phrase “Schiano Men,” a term that clearly does not apply to Freeman.

Freeman may be the next player shipped out by Schiano, joining a list that includes Aqib Talib, Dezmon Briscoe, LeGarrette Blount and Kellen Winslow, Jr., as well as this week’s casualties Ahmad Black and Kevin Ogletree. There appears to be a pattern of players, despite their talents, ending up on the wrong side of the coaching staff, with directives from Schiano to general manager Mark Dominik to remove them from the roster.

To be fair, Freeman has not been blameless here. Missing the team photo—for whatever reason—is inexcusable and fanned the flames of a dysfunctional relationship between him and his head coach. Which leads me to …

The Schiano-Freeman saga seems to reach new lows every day, with the latest salvos including a report by FOX Sports that Freeman was told to stay away from a team meeting, this following a report from ESPN that Freeman is in Stage One of the NFL’s drug-testing program due to a mixup with his league-approved prescription for Adderall. One can only wonder what invectives today or tomorrow will bring...
read more: http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/02/josh-freeman-greg-schiano-business/

Freeman is released. I suspect this is a rare case where the player is actually happy to be unemployed. I give Schiano 8 more games before he's canned. Tyrants that don't treat their players like men don't last in the NFL.

Freeman is released. I suspect this is a rare case where the player is actually happy to be unemployed. I give Schiano 8 more games before he's canned. Tyrants that don't treat their players like men don't last in the NFL.

Especially when they are 7-13.

Plus, I believe the Bucs owe him the remaining $ on his contract. Schiano will be headin back to the NCAA next season

Especially when they are 7-13.

You can build a team while losing and keep the team, but he is doing everything to turn players against him, and earning tons of disrespect around the league with his "play to the final whistle" routine.

You treat others as you would want yourself treated, and what he is doing is ensuring they hate his guts.

Plus, I believe the Bucs owe him the remaining $ on his contract. Schiano will be headin back to the NCAA next season

Unless someone picks him up on waivers right? That team will have to pay out the remaining contract right?

Unless someone picks him up on waivers right? That team will have to pay out the remaining contract right?

Yep, from USA Today :

General manager Mark Dominik contacted every other team in the NFL in an unsuccessful attempt to trade Freeman, a 4,000-yard passer a year ago and the team's career leader with 1,144 completions and 80 touchdowns. He is now eligible to be claimed off the waiver wire, though in that scenario another team would have to pick up the balance of Freeman's salary.

But, the article also says
the fifth-year quarterback.
I thought after 4 years in the league if he clears waivers he should be an URFA shouldn't he be?

God as much as I rag on Kubiak at times, he is leap years ahead of Schiano in every conceivable way, both as a HC and a human being. Schiano is a complete horses ass. I'm so glad I am not a Buc's fan.

As to Freeman, I've never been a big fan of his game. He has some real talent, but hasn't been consistent at all, and it's never really come together. Someone will give him a chance. I don't see the Texans taking that risk. Could be wrong but it's a real long shot imo. Who would you cut to give Freeman a shot?

In 60 career games, Freeman has thrown for 13,534 yards, 80 touchdowns and 66 interceptions. He is the franchise's leader in career TD passes & completions, and second all time in passing yards.(!)

Freeman is 25 years old.

I think Freeman has the talent. He just needs to get his head right and he needs some good coaching. I don't think Schiano was good for Freeman getting his head right, nor do I think he can coach. I actually think Freeman could thrive under Kubiak. Not saying mid-season, because that never works for anyone, but if Kubiak or a coach like him got hold of him, I think his career could be productive.

Reports were the the Bucs and their classy front office leaked medical records on Josh. If I remember correctly

Back