Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2013   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Montgomery Converted to DE

Quote:
Houston (CBS Houston) - Sam Montgomery hasn’t played in any of the Texans first three games. His transition from college defensive end to NFL outside linebacker hasn’t gone well. After his early troubles, the third round pick will switch back to defensive end. The reason behind the change appears to be size related.

“He’s a big boy, man, and I don’t think that he tries to gain weight but he’s just big. He’s naturally big. He’s not fat, he’s got all muscle but a weight thing kept being the issue,” Antonio Smith said while on Texans Radio on Sports Radio 610.

Montgomery did have conditioning issues at the beginning of training camp and never found a rhythm as the preseason progressed. According to Antonio Smith, the transition back to defensive end is going well.

“He just didn’t look comfortable in a standup position and now that coach Kollar (The Texans defensive line coach) has been working with him in his stance, he’s playing a lot better.” Antonio Smith said.

The position change will come with a new number. According to Drew Dougherty of the Texans, Montgomery will now wear number 95.
link

As a sophomore in college, Montgomery was explosive. But then he put on some weight later in his college career which was much needed for him to stick at 4-3 DE in the NFL. But the weight gain didn't do him any favors on the football field, as per many of his draft profiles, he played stiff and exhibited far less explosion during his third year at LSU. That problem has followed him into his time with the Texans. He will still be a slow 3-4 DE, as he remains a mismatched 4-3 player looking for a position that doesn't exist here.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #2
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Montgomery Converted to DE

I had thought this was the intention from the beginning.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #3
gwallaia

Rep Power: 62881 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

He looked terrible in pre season, the guy could not shed blockers worth a damn.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Good.

From August...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
He has no skills. He has no craft. Looks more like a D-lineman to me. Sam has a lot to learn.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #5
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

This move is way better then him at OLB.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #6
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea, my initial thought when drafted was hopefully a future Antonio Smith replacement. Good to hear, hope he gets things going.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #7
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

At least they are being proactive.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2013   #8
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Even with his hand in the ground he still comes off slow off the ball. A position change won't help that. Unless he gains some explosiveness I haven't seen I'm afraid its a wasted pick.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Even with his hand in the ground he still comes off slow off the ball. A position change won't help that. Unless he gains some explosiveness I haven't seen I'm afraid its a wasted pick.
My sentiments exactly. Montgomery is slow off the ball, at OLB or DE makes no difference. JMO but Montgomery was a mistake pick. I'd love to see us trade him to a team that runs a 4-3 defense, lets just cut our losses now instead of trying to make him into something he's not. We've already got Jamison and Crick at DE depth. Montgomery is too slow and heavy for OLB and to slow and small for 3-4 DE.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Yea, my initial thought when drafted was hopefully a future Antonio Smith replacement. Good to hear, hope he gets things going.
Sam Montgomery cant hold the Ninja Assassin's jockstrap ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #11
digitalswim
Sleepwalker

Rep Power: 1590 digitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't know how the Texans can feel good about reaching for so many projects in the last few drafts. I especially hated this years draft after the first round. It seems like they were either reaching, gambling or ignoring the skill sets of the guys they were drafting.
digitalswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
My sentiments exactly. Montgomery is slow off the ball, at OLB or DE makes no difference. JMO but Montgomery was a mistake pick. I'd love to see us trade him to a team that runs a 4-3 defense, lets just cut our losses now instead of trying to make him into something he's not. We've already got Jamison and Crick at DE depth. Montgomery is too slow and heavy for OLB and to slow and small for 3-4 DE.
I haven't seen much of Jamison since the season started & what little I did see, I didn't like. Looked like a spare tire thing going on... not good for a DE.
Old 09-25-2013   #13
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19115 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalswim View Post
I just don't know how the Texans can feel good about reaching for so many projects in the last few drafts. I especially hated this years draft after the first round. It seems like they were either reaching, gambling or ignoring the skill sets of the guys they were drafting.
I don't know if you can say that yet, Montgomery was the only one that I was really meh about. I would say anything after the third round you aren't expecting to start their rookie year. So of the players we got through the third round.

- deandre making an impact already
- swearinger already on the field and starting to make a few impact plays.
- OT got hurt, not sure if he'll pan out yet but it happens.
- Montgomery is the only one we should have stayed away from but they were trying to address the OLB position. There was a pretty good run on the LB in the middle of the second round. After that there really wasn't anyone else to take.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I haven't seen much of Jamison since the season started & what little I did see, I didn't like. Looked like a spare tire thing going on... not good for a DE.
I remember Jamison from 2 yrs. ago and he played great, but that achilles injury might have slowed him down a bit.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

So the texans took two OLB's in the draft and really didn't take any as far as this year is concerned.

Sounds like a desperation move to me. Sounds like Sam has struggled terribly so they are trying to salvage something....anything.

Meanwhile, you had guys that were actual DLinemen that actually showed something and we let them go. Texans too slow to get rid of guys. The lack of aggression permeates through this team.

Meanwhile you have a worthless player on the roster that wasted camp screwing around with a position he's not going to play anymore.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #16
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Sam Montgomery cant hold the Ninja Assassin's jockstrap ....
Oh, there is definitely reason I gave him a D grade when we drafted him. But we wont know for sure yet.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/pol...ts&pollid=1381
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Oh, there is definitely reason I gave him a D grade when we drafted him. But we wont know for sure yet.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/pol...ts&pollid=1381
I gave him a C .... Probably more deserving of an F.

Looks like you made a good call there ... so far.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Agree with this. Dude's the slowest off the ball I've seen in quite some time.
Old 09-25-2013   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

IF Reed and Merci continue to improve, it may not be as critical. We just do not have time imo for a project Dlineman or OLB. I too would wish for a trade to a 4-3 team.
Old 09-25-2013   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Didn't like him when he was drafted, don't like him now. He's going to bust here. He already has Chapter 1 of the Bust story written, in fact.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read