Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-14-2013   #1
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rick Smith: Does he share blame?

I've praised Rick Smith for the talent that this roster appears to have. Do you think he should go if Kubiak is let go?

Here's a take I had on Casserly once upon a time (2005): http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...140#post180140

This time, I'm leaning harder to the "clean the house" side. Leave no toxin in the system. What do you guys think?
Old 10-14-2013   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith: Does he share blame?

I'm not a fan of the Texans cap management. I think the team is upside down in structure with Kubiak hiring Smith. Kubiak has too much power with Smith being his rubber stamp guy. I'd like to see the team hire a GM then let a GM pick his coach. The NFL moves fast so a mistake doesn't need to take 5 years to fix except for here it seems. It took friggin' forever to figure out if Carr was good enough....it's taking them forever to figure out Schaub isn't anything but a back up quarterback.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #3
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

its not like we are competive and losing close games

we are getting blown out in what I call old fashion taken to the wood shed

Of course he has to take some of the blame he has not been 100 on 100 on picking players and getting players to sign here at a reasonable price

u know why teams get into cap problems and lose games cuz of it WE PAY THE WRONG PLAYERS !!! or bring in the wrong F/a and they don't pan out

didn't KUbes and RIck come in has a package from Denver

If one guyz I don't see whay not BOTH HAVE 2 go

if that rumor is true that peyton was interested in coming to Houston but rick didn't want to pay him and he wanted to stick with his GUY Schaub then that's a roll of the dice he obvs lossed

that's what GM and front office is Roll of the dice and decision making

and RICK has made to many wrong decision esp for a big city football team like this that might fly in smaller town teams but around here I would hope our goal is to win SB and stuff like this WONT FLY
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

How much credit do you give Smith for finding talent? How much do you think Kubiak is behind finding and coaching up the UDFAs? How well do you really think this team has drafted mid-round? If Rick Smith drafted a guy like Russell Wilson, would he be starting here? And would he even draft a guy like that without Kubiak's direction?

I think the most consolidated part of the team is Smithiak.
Old 10-14-2013   #5
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
How much credit do you give Smith for finding talent? How much do you think Kubiak is behind finding and coaching up the UDFAs? How well do you really think this team has drafted mid-round? If Rick Smith drafted a guy like Russell Wilson, would he be starting here? And would he even draft a guy like that without Kubiak's direction?

I think the most consolidated part of the team is Smithiak.

I bet a lot of these recent Picks have been wade phill picks
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #6
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 113379 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not nearly as down on Rick smith as Kubiak. Yes I'm sure Kubiak has a lot of input when it comes to drafting players but smith has helped assemble a lot of talent. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the problem lies mainly with Kubiak and Schaub. Now if he were to say 'me and Kubiak are a package deal' then McNair has to tell him 'don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you'.
Old 10-14-2013   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

There is plenty of blame for everyone.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2013   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I never see or here from Smith or Kubiak at the same time, such as in the same room. I think they are the same person. I don't know if it's a white guy wearing black or a black guy wearing white, but it's the same guy. Trust me.

GACK SMITHIAK

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans clean house from top to bottom, that means starting all over. Who knows what kind of systems the new regime will put in. But there is lots of talent on this team, a good GM and head coach can make the Texans competitive again next year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #10
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 7608 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there a short list of GM candidates with good cap management and player/staff eval skills?
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #11
Ktexan68
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 Ktexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respected

He absolutely deserves a good share of the blame. His poor cap mgmt has us under such heavy contraints every season as if we are a multiple sb chamption, not a team who hasn't advanced past the division round. His draft picks in the first round have been very good, but in the lower rounds, not so much.
Ktexan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #12
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
its not like we are competive and losing close games

we are getting blown out in what I call old fashion taken to the wood shed

Of course he has to take some of the blame he has not been 100 on 100 on picking players and getting players to sign here at a reasonable price

u know why teams get into cap problems and lose games cuz of it WE PAY THE WRONG PLAYERS !!! or bring in the wrong F/a and they don't pan out

didn't KUbes and RIck come in has a package from Denver

If one guyz I don't see whay not BOTH HAVE 2 go

if that rumor is true that peyton was interested in coming to Houston but rick didn't want to pay him and he wanted to stick with his GUY Schaub then that's a roll of the dice he obvs lossed

that's what GM and front office is Roll of the dice and decision making

and RICK has made to many wrong decision esp for a big city football team like this that might fly in smaller town teams but around here I would hope our goal is to win SB and stuff like this WONT FLY
I think it was more likely that Gary didn't want to give up on his guy or turn over the offense to a QB that would need more control. He's an antiquated offensive coach running an offense that has been bypassed. Heck, we're basically one step up from the Woody Hayes offense.

While Smith isn't perfect, our talent level here is much better than it was prior to him coming. Before Smith we had 1 player on the team (Johnson) that could be a star or even contribute on any other team. We have talent, we just aren't getting the most out of them. I'd see how we works with a better HC first.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #13
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If the Texans clean house from top to bottom, that means starting all over. Who knows what kind of systems the new regime will put in. But there is lots of talent on this team, a good GM and head coach can make the Texans competitive again next year.
Exactly. The talent that is here can succeed in any scheme. JJ could be even better as a 4-3 DE. Cushing can play inside or outside in a 4-3. Andre, Foster, Daniels, Graham, Brown would all be just fine in a spread offense or something a little more current.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #14
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Who did we draft after Casserly, and before Wade that has been considered a great acquisition? Those are the only players Smith can lay claim to, with the exception of Hopkins, who in my opinion was a no-brainer if you knew you were going WR, and the few offensive players we have acquired.

Who has Rick himself actually been responsible for?
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Who did we draft after Casserly, and before Wade that has been considered a great acquisition? Those are the only players Smith can lay claim to, with the exception of Hopkins, who in my opinion was a no-brainer if you knew you were going WR, and the few offensive players we have acquired.

Who has Rick himself actually been responsible for?
Depends on how you look at it. Duane Brown was a good pick at #26. Getting Arian Foster as a UDFA on an unusual 2 year deal was a good pickup. Late round guys like Glover Quin and Brice McCain were good picks. James Casey in the 5th, though misused by Kubiak, was a good pick. Now how many of those were "Rick's guys" is TBD.

Problem is, that's 5 guys I can think of out of about 30 picks...
Old 10-14-2013   #16
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell yes.
1. GK extended
2. MS signed as QB
3. Cap hell
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #17
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Depends on how you look at it. Duane Brown was a good pick at #26. Getting Arian Foster as a UDFA on an unusual 2 year deal was a good pickup. Late round guys like Glover Quin and Brice McCain were good picks. James Casey in the 5th, though misused by Kubiak, was a good pick. Now how many of those were "Rick's guys" is TBD.

Problem is, that's 5 guys I can think of out of about 30 picks...
Agree on Brown. Foster was a product of Tate getting injured, otherwise we may have never known what he could contribute. Quin (gone), McCain (ok, but not great), Casey (gone). If we couldn't keep them which is also the responsibility of the GM, I cant give Rick credit for them.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

As I've said in other threads,

Whoever signed off on the Schaub extention should be fired.

Rick has just been OK at picking players. If that's his job. What really is Rick's job now that I think of it? Nobody really knows. For some reason Rick seems to keep the Texans in salary cap hell every yr, if that's his job.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'm still ticked that they got rid of Winston and Ryans with no apparent plan for succession. Ryans + Cushing was a damn sight better than anything they've put out there since, and Newton will never be as good as Winston, who wasn't even a Pro Bowl caliber RT.
Old 10-14-2013   #20
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure that Rick SMith deserves credit for Foster. Arian is on record as saying that he went to the Texans because the Texans depth chart at running back was anemic and so he came here when an offer was made (amongst like 3 offers)

That said, maybe you can credit Rick Smith with assembling a crappy set of running backs to make Arian wanna come here
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read