Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2013   #121
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ok everyone just calm down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Hey they'll likely end up with the #1 pick in the upcoming draft and get their choice of the top QB prospects .... which could change the fortunes of their franchise for the next decade. Just look at the Dolts .... First Manning and now Luck ?!

I wouldn't mind having my choice of Tajh Boyd , Teddy Bridgewater , AJ McCarron or Johnny Football ....
Okay, say it. Say you'd rather be the laughingstock of the NFL. I'm sure we've all forgotten the pain of 2-14 (or at least, time has dulled it), but I'm pretty sure I'll take a good team with flaws who's likely playoff bound over not caring about the actual game and hoping and praying to be good 2-3 years down the road.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #122
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Okay, say it. Say you'd rather be the laughingstock of the NFL. I'm sure we've all forgotten the pain of 2-14 (or at least, time has dulled it), but I'm pretty sure I'll take a good team with flaws who's likely playoff bound over not caring about the actual game and hoping and praying to be good 2-3 years down the road.
building or rebuilding carries optimism and hope. I don't find that too painful. Watching some team that can only beat bad teams with an inability to beat top teams and knowing your QB is never going to reach the next level is equally painful. Either way we take what we are served since we are just fans and have no control. I just hope this doesn't become a long season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #123
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
building or rebuilding carries optimism and hope. I don't find that too painful. Watching some team that can only beat bad teams with an inability to beat top teams and knowing your QB is never going to reach the next level is equally painful. Either way we take what we are served since we are just fans and have no control. I just hope this doesn't become a long season.
I hear you playing devil's advocate, but not actually saying you want to be old Saints, the current Jags, or the Orlovsky led Lions.

Maybe you've been blessed with a crystal ball, but I don't claim to KNOW for sure that we're destined for falling short. Maybe there's some optimism and hope in that that people are missing because they're just so damned sure that their take is "reality". The "reality" is that there's still a lot of football to be played this season and that nearly anything can happen in the NFL.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #124
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Dale, I was on this bus thinkinkg Matt has finally got the monkey off his back on the chargers game.
Me as well. Schaub was on fire the 2nd half, and was actually better under pressure (read out of the pocket) that game. I was hoping to build on that, but it hasn't happened.
Old 09-24-2013   #125
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Me as well. Schaub was on fire the 2nd half, and was actually better under pressure (read out of the pocket) that game. I was hoping to build on that, but it hasn't happened.
He usually plays well when we are in that mode.

With the receivers we've got now... from the WRs, to the TEs, to the RBs.... I think we need to focus on getting Matt into a rhythm, starting with the 3 & 4 WR sets. After we get Matt started, we can start feeding Arian the ball.

That's the way I remember the Colts & the greatest show on turf doing it. They threw the ball to get a lead, then ran it down the opponents throats.
Old 09-24-2013   #126
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He usually plays well when we are in that mode.

With the receivers we've got now... from the WRs, to the TEs, to the RBs.... I think we need to focus on getting Matt into a rhythm, starting with the 3 & 4 WR sets. After we get Matt started, we can start feeding Arian the ball.

That's the way I remember the Colts & the greatest show on turf doing it. They threw the ball to get a lead, then ran it down the opponents throats.
Um that was the Rams ?!

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #127
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Um that was the Rams ?!
Um yeah. I meant the Colts & the Rams.

Not the Colts, the Greatest show on turf.
Old 09-24-2013   #128
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
2009? You mean the season when schaub carried the texans, throwing for4770 yards.. 4 game winning drives.. Leading the NFL in yards per attempt . All without a running game. That is why you are tired of Matt schaub?
Dale,

I agree that Matt is much better than now Matt. But even then the writing was on the wall. That year we won 2 games against teams with winning records and one of those was the last game against the Pats who had already secured their spot in playoffs. When you play good teams the pocket is not always going to be clean and plays must be made. I do not feel Matt has that ability and in my opinion he has lost some of that ability since the injury. Matt is Matt. I do think their best chance was 2011. We don't have that OL and we don't have that Matt. I think we learn more during Sunday's game.

Last edited by gafftop; 09-25-2013 at 07:11 AM.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #129
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Dale,

I agree that Matt is much better than now Matt. But even then the writing was on the wall. That year we won 2 games against teams with winning records and one of those was the last game against the Pats who had already secured their spot in playoffs. When you play good teams the pocket is not always going to be clean and plays must be made. I do not feel Matt has that ability and in my opinion he has lost some of that ability since the injury. Matt is Matt. I do think there best chance was 2011. We don't have that OL and we don't have that Matt. I think we learn more during Sunday's game.
Yeah , Matt isn't the same guy he was pre-lisfranc , that much is pretty obvious.
CND told us that the more he played , the worse it would get and over the course of last season I think he was proven correct.

Take a look at the last 5 games of last year and the first three of this one and over that 8 game span .... Schaub hasn't been right.

What I believe is that its affected his already poor mobility and below average arm strength .... he could compensate for those issues pre-injury but that's just not the case any longer.
Add to that the fact that he's not read defenses nearly as well , why I'm not sure but three picks in three games , two of which are pick six's and they third may as well have been.
That's just poor decision making , not what we have come to expect from Schaub in general as he usually limits mistakes.
Reading defenses and limiting mistakes were his strengths .... Now he's hurting the team and is lacking physically too.

I hope the guy turns it around but I just don't have a lot of confidence in him doing that as the OL just isn't as good as its been in the past either .... and the offense being designed to keep him clean in the pocket just isn't capable of doing that on a regular basis.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 09-25-2013   #130
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah , Matt isn't the same guy he was pre-lisfranc , that much is pretty obvious.
CND told us that the more he played , the worse it would get and over the course of last season I think he was proven correct.

Take a look at the last 5 games of last year and the first three of this one and over that 8 game span .... Schaub hasn't been right.

What I believe is that its affected his already poor mobility and below average arm strength .... he could compensate for those issues pre-injury but that's just not the case any longer.
Add to that the fact that he's not read defenses nearly as well , why I'm not sure but three picks in three games , two of which are pick six's and they third may as well have been.
That's just poor decision making , not what we have come to expect from Schaub in general as he usually limits mistakes.
Reading defenses and limiting mistakes were his strengths .... Now he's hurting the team and is lacking physically too.

I hope the guy turns it around but I just don't have a lot of confidence in him doing that as the OL just isn't as good as its been in the past either .... and the offense being designed to keep him clean in the pocket just isn't capable of doing that on a regular basis.

I see the opposite, though I agree with your conclusions about 2012, as well as your criticisms about this year's decision-making.

I am excited about the season for the exact reasons that you are worried: Schaub's physicality this year. From what I see, he is moving better than he has in 4 years and is taking hits better than I have ever seen him... Let's hope that what I think I am seeing is correct. The next two weeks should reveal a lot about the entire team's toughness and physicality- Schaub's included.

If he gets through these next two games physically, regardless of the offense's performance, we should then see a stretch of some of the best Texans offense in our history (if I am right about Schaub this year).
Old 09-25-2013   #131
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
So explain to me how the city factors into the equation? Or are you just coming up with random sh!t that doesn't actually mean anything?
I'm simply calling the business of nfl football in this city a good ol boy system. The system keeps certain liked players and coaches in positions that they haven't proved they still deserve. This is the biggest reason a Houston nfl football team has never reached the super bowl. It is currently happening right now with Schaub and Kubiak.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #132
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I see the opposite, though I agree with your conclusions about 2012, as well as your criticisms about this year's decision-making.

I am excited about the season for the exact reasons that you are worried: Schaub's physicality this year. From what I see, he is moving better than he has in 4 years and is taking hits better than I have ever seen him... Let's hope that what I think I am seeing is correct. The next two weeks should reveal a lot about the entire team's toughness and physicality- Schaub's included.

If he gets through these next two games physically, regardless of the offense's performance, we should then see a stretch of some of the best Texans offense in our history (if I am right about Schaub this year).
I saw that same thing for a half against the Chargers , didn't see it against the Tinbreds or the Ravens. That adds to my concern of the lisfranc injury being degenerative over time as Doc put it. He was healthy week one and seems to have dropped off in the two subsequent weeks.

Ive yet to see Doc give us bad information ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 09-25-2013   #133
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I saw that same thing for a half against the Chargers , didn't see it against the Tinbreds or the Ravens. That adds to my concern of the lisfranc injury being degenerative over time as Doc put it. He was healthy week one and seems to have dropped off in the two subsequent weeks.

Ive yet to see Doc give us bad information ....
I haven't re-watched the Raven game yet. Though the Titan game was not pretty offensively, if you re-watch it on NFL rewind (using the coaches film), I think you will see that Schaub took some shots and they had little effect on him. I think you will also see how well he moved and, what was exposed that game was our protection scheme- not declining skills of the QB.
Old 09-25-2013   #134
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Whatever! Matt Schaub has unleashed his speed.

Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #135
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16278 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Haha, I bet there were some chuckles during the making of that.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #136
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I've noticed when Schaub is rattled he starts throwing off his back foot. He begins the game throwing decent, but once he starts getting hit his throws are either high or just off target.

Maybe he gets Carr-ed after getting hit a few times?
Old 09-25-2013   #137
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122673 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I've noticed when Schaub is rattled he starts throwing off his back foot. He begins the game throwing decent, but once he starts getting hit his throws are either high or just off target.

The foot gets progressively worse thoughout the games/season.

Read C-N-D's posts and you can disagree with him. But go back and check out the film of Matt's accuracy and movement skills in the 2009-2010 seasons compared to todays. It will be a real eye opener.

Matt has lost it and according to C-N-D this type of injury gets worse with time. For this reason Schaub would be a great backup. (Being able to rest the foot properly) But is no longer starting material.

Whoever decided it would be a good idea to extend Matt's contract should be fired. But that would be called being held accountable, and BoB never holds anybody on the football side of his org accountable.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #138
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164570 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

After a few days of soul searching and questioning my team I have one conclusion:

I will not accept average. Screw 8-8, 9-7 etc....I want a magical turn around like 14-2 or a massive let down like 6-10. I just want to be entertained dammit!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #139
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I haven't re-watched the Raven game yet. Though the Titan game was not pretty offensively, if you re-watch it on NFL rewind (using the coaches film), I think you will see that Schaub took some shots and they had little effect on him. I think you will also see how well he moved and, what was exposed that game was our protection scheme- not declining skills of the QB.
I've watched the first half & physically, he looks good. For the minute before the end of the half, he looked excellent both physically & in his play.

However, there was one sack he took, we ended up being 3rd & 17 & we ran the draw. I'm surprised that he didn't chunk it then, because that was the situation he threw it against Tennessee & San Diego.... so I was thinking maybe that one got to him, that sack.

As far as reading the defense, I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing. The one tip ball that was intercepted, I don't think that's a poor job of reading defenses. He's had balls batted down often. The pick 6 vs Tennessee, that's him & a new receiver not jiving. He's throwing the ball before the receiver makes his break. The one against Baltimore... normally he would put that ball on the receivers back hip. Had he done that here it would have been an incompletion at worst.

However, we're looking at a very small sample size. I think he's been better than he's been awful & his numbers will balance to his norms by the end of the season.

I'm not seeing any ill effect from the Lisfranc & his loosing weight seems to have helped him quite a bit.
Old 09-25-2013   #140
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

First, I have seen Schaub rattled and am not arguing that it doesn't happen.

However, I do not believe throwing off the back foot for Schaub is an indication that he's rattled. It is an indication that he's dealing with pressure up the middle. His greatest mechanical flaw, IMO, is that he has a long stride. When he expects pressure up the middle, he often doesn't stride when he throws- and is on his back foot. Certainly, it is often games when he is facing interior pressure that he throws off his back foot. However, I have seen him rattled and not throwing off the back foot and have seen him not rattled and throwing off of it... just something to mention because I do not believe he has been rattled this year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read