Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans @ Baltimore Ravens. Noon. 9/22. CBS. **Official GameDay Thread**

We rockin' our peers, puttin' suckas in fear!

The Houston Texans are getting used to comebacks. Now with a daunting schedule ahead, they hope some offensive rhythm can allow them to avoid having to come back at all.

The Texans kick off a tough three-week stretch with a road game against a hurting Baltimore Ravens team that likely won't have Ray Rice on Sunday.

After playing the Super Bowl champions, Houston (2-0) hosts Seattle before visiting San Francisco, a 1-2-3 punch that will test the team's strengths - and its undefeated record. Baltimore has been a nemesis for the Texans while Seattle and San Francisco are considered Super Bowl contenders.

Houston has needed second-half rallies to win both of its games. The Texans set a franchise record by coming from 21 points down to beat San Diego 31-28 in the opener, then erased an eight-point deficit in the fourth quarter to eventually upend Tennessee 30-24 in overtime last Sunday.

"If it means winning at the end of the day we'll take this kind of game every week," said Matt Schaub, who has thrown for 644 yards and six touchdowns.

Despite Schaub's numbers, Houston has struggled to find consistency on offense.

The team scored in five plays on its opening drive against the Titans, then was mostly ineffective until tying the game on Arian Foster's touchdown run and two-point conversion with 1:53 to go in the fourth. It was a similar story a week earlier as the Texans went scoreless for a 28-minute span in the middle of the game.

"That's part of the NFL battle. We've got to get more consistent at what we're doing," said coach Gary Kubiak, whose team was 6 for 17 on third-down conversions last week. "We just didn't make any third downs. Third downs, they're the key to staying on the field and being balanced."

Houston hopes to have star receiver Andre Johnson available against Baltimore. His status is uncertain after sustaining a concussion Sunday on a fourth-quarter hit from Bernard Pollard, who was later fined $42,000.

"It'll be an end-of-the-week decision because we have to go through the process," Kubiak said Monday. "I think after the game, talking to him and seeing where he's at today, he's doing really well, and I'd expect the progress to go very quickly."

The Ravens (1-1) are also dealing with an injury to a star player. Rice left last Sunday's 14-6 win over Cleveland with a strained left hip flexor, and after missing a third consecutive day of practice on Friday was listed as doubtful.

If Rice is unable to play, Bernard Pierce would get the start. Pierce had a touchdown run against the Browns and finished with 57 yards on 19 carries.

What I want to see:

Help the bookends with Sizzle and Doom

Without DB in the game today, we'll need to give Harris some help on the left side. If that means consistent chipping, fine. Schaub can NOT be under duress like he's been at times the last two weeks.

Run, run, run

23 and 44...as much as possible. Last two weeks; pedestrian run games (not that Denver needed it). That said, let's show 'em that we got backs on backs on backs on backs.

CONSTANT pressure on Flacco

Last two times we've played him, we've beat him up a bit. So, with that in mind; let's keep that up. Pressure up the middle has been giving Flacco trouble vs. our D, so I expect to see more of that.

Rice or not; MUST stop the run

Ravens still like to run the ball, so regardless if it's 27 or Bernard Pierce..stopping the run is a must. Was a little shaky in the 1st half last week, but got better in the 2nd half. ELIMINATE any sort of shakiness early and often.

Well, folks...week 3! Let's go to work early. As y'all know, this game won't be easy, but that doesn't mean we can't focus on the task. Physical football all day and getting that 1st win in B-More; not to mention, 1-0! That's the main goal every week. Let's go in to their crib and handle bidness! COMPETITION'S PAYIN' THE PRICE!

EVOLVIST

Kid A
As always, well put together, Shark.

Football fans are such masochists, though. Interactive entertainment. Sidewalk Supermen, wearing another man's name on our backs. Someone farts on the field and we smell it in our heads. We live for this stuff!

Oh, I wish we had gameday threads in the 80s and 90s. I wonder if it would go the same way back then as it does today, i.e. giddy anticipation moving into rampant fanaticism, as too-soon jubilation makes room for uni-mind inquisitiveness, while gears switch to defeatism, and all the time the thread implodes on itself as we burn Warren Moon in effigy (or in 2013, Matt Schaub). :)

Having said that, go TEXANS! Beat the snot out of the ratbirds!!! :koolaid:

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!
Let's get that first win in M&T Bank. We almost got em with TJ in the playoffs, and now it's time to get that monkey off our backs. I hope Harris fills in admirably because it's going to be a long day if he can't slow down Suggs, and oh lawd I am more worried on the other side of the line.

Texans win 24-17

GO TEXANS!

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Considering the difficult stretch of games ahead of us, we need this win very badly.

GO TEXANS

:texan:

HouTx11

Rookie
I hope the Texans score lots of points in the 2nd quarter. Let this be the game where the Texans not only start and finish strong on both sides of the ball, but remain strong throughout the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Bulluck is a good kicker. When he gets his damn head straightened out we'll be glad we have him. I sure Kubiak knows this. In the meantime we finally have a kicker that doesn't allow very many kick off returns against our piss poor special teams.

drs23

Veteran
As always, well put together, Shark.

Football fans are such masochists, though. Interactive entertainment. Sidewalk Supermen, wearing another man's name on our backs. Someone farts on the field and we smell it in our heads. We live for this stuff!

Oh, I wish we had gameday threads in the 80s and 90s. I wonder if it would go the same way back then as it does today, i.e. giddy anticipation moving into rampant fanaticism, as too-soon jubilation makes room for uni-mind inquisitiveness, while gears switch to defeatism, and all the time the thread implodes on itself as we burn Warren Moon in effigy (or in 2013, Matt Schaub). :)

Having said that, go TEXANS! Beat the snot out of the ratbirds!!! :koolaid:
That gave me a chuckle. Never looked at it like that but there's some truth there I'm sure.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
With a 25 yd FG???
I've heard some apologize for Bullock in that all of his kicks have been from 40+ yards. Last year, Shayne Graham went 7-9 from 40-49, and 4-9 from 50+. For Bullock to produce the same results, he will need to go 6-7 from 40-49 and 4-6 from 50+. A tall order. Meanwhile a kicker taken after Bullock in the 2012 draft has yet to miss from 50+ in his career. The Vikings Blair Walsh is 11-11 over 2 seasons and a 1st team All Pro as a rookie.

And Joe Marciano continues to receive a check from the Houston Texans...

Last edited:

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
They just showed Joe Flacco walking into the locker room on the NFL Network. He looks calm and poised. Exactly like a Super Bowl MVP fresh off an amazing playoffs last year should look like. Hopefully that changes when the game starts. We need to have a strong pass rush today. Their run game shouldn't be too much of a threat with Ray Rice out, even though Bernard Pierce is a decent backup but he's not exactly as good as Ben Tate is.

So if the Texans defense does well against Tate in practice they should have no trouble stopping Pierce. The Texans defense did a pretty good job rattling Flacco inside the pocket and getting right in his face the last two games the two teams played.

This game is going to come down to which defense plays the best, forces the most turnovers. I'm worried about Ryan Harris starting at left tackle but we'll see what happens.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Rice being out affects the passing game more than the run game. Flacco won't have his safety valve and will have to throw down field more often. I don't know if that's a good thing for the Texans.

I think this will be a low scoring close game that could decide on special teams. That doesn't make me feel that good, either.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
"Oh, yes, and one more thing, dear Lord, about our enemies, ignore their heathen prayers and help us blow those little bastards straight to Hell. Amen."

Showtime100

Got JJ?
I'm here until gametime when I move to the TV. I have my long sleeved steel blue Texans shirt on which, btw, has NOT been washed since the Sunday before the Charger game.

With any luck, or I should say a lot of luck, this thing doesn't get washed all year. The longer this win streak keeps going the more likely I will no longer be able to wear it on Sundays without offending my brethren Texan fans should I decide to watch the game somewhere other than the house. :D

kingtexan

All Pro
Texans win with Bullock going 4-4, with 3 from over 40 yards.

Kid gets his confidence back, and we get the win.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Just win, baby!!! There ain't any style points in the NFL. I prefer a blowout win by the Texans but I'll take the W any way we can get it.

Tailgate

Fall of Hame
Starting to get nervous. Had my doubts about this matchup all week. Now its time to WORK. You will find me a happy man at 3-0. This board could be in the beginning of meltdown mode if we dont.

GO TEXANS!!! Win 19-16

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
What about the secondary guys? Are you hoping to see them come alive today? Johnathan Joseph hasn't really played like a shutdown corner in a long time. In fact, I saw him getting beat on quite a few plays the first two games. His ability to cover the deep ball used to be his specialty.

I would like to see him shutting opposing WRs down like he used to do pre groin injury last year. Ever since he got hurt, which was evident in that primetime game against the Packers, I haven't seen the same All Pro player that he was in 2011.

If Joseph starts to shut down half the field like he used to do then our defense is going to become arguably the best in the league again. We're talking about an All Pro, aka a special player, one of the best at his position, that is playing like an average player right now. We need him to play like he used to in 2011.

Obviously, a stronger and consistent pass rush from our front seven would make life easier for Joseph and the entire secondary. But I want to see our best cornerback playing good football again.

TejasTom

All Pro

Red- Houston @ Baltimore -- Greg Gumbel, Dan Dierdorf [AK; HI]*
Blue - San Diego @ Tennessee -- Ian Eagle, Dan Fouts
Green - Cleveland @ Minnesota -- Kevin Harlan, Solomon Wilcots
Grey- *NO GAME due to NFL rules

Officiating crew: John Parry

Flip card: Link

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Yeah, Suzy Coulter or whatever her beady-eyed last name is just reported Reed is playing and will start today. She cited John McClain and Adam Schefter as references.
Well this is where we see if our money was well spent, kinda like me i'm weary about buying a used washer machine, although it may look nice, never know what its gonna do until you start it for the first time.

Showtime100

Got JJ?
Well this is where we see if our money was well spent, kinda like me i'm weary about buying a used washer machine, although it may look nice, never know what its gonna do until you start it for the first time.
Agreed. In another post I said Ed Reed was who I was going to watch - if playing. Now I know.

I like the analogy too. I'm worried he'll get out there and find the in-game gear (as in transmission) is nowhere to be found. Use it or lose it. Preseason is over for everybody else.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Agreed. In another post I said Ed Reed was who I was going to watch - if playing. Now I know.

I like the analogy too. I'm worried he'll get out there and find the in-game gear (as in transmission) is nowhere to be found. Use it or lose it. Preseason is over for everybody else.
Yeah IMO i think he will be fine and play very well for us this season. A pick by him today would be sweet

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Why, did we sign another QB I haven't heard about?
HAHA come on now man, the slow starts arent all Schaubs fault. Last season we started fast and then finished slow, this season we are starting slow and finishing fast. Maybe this is a good thing that we arent hitting our stride and still winning early in the season.

Cause you dont want to play your best football until the play offs anyways.