Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2013   #61
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why aren't we trying to find a kicker?

The original question should have been "Why haven't the Texans told the fans they have a veteran kicker on speed dial?" If your trying to instill confidence in your rookie kicker there's a pretty obvious answer to that question.

If you don't think Rick Smith has an updated and ranked list of veteran FA kickers in his desk drawer then you have no faith in our GM.
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #62
mmwest
Site Contributor

Section: 638 The one always standing & yelling.
Rep Power: 0 mmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't feel like reading through 4 pages of this but let it be known , Randy Bullock is not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 09-22-2013   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 154140 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think the Texans should go back to last season's offensive philosophy and go for field goals instead of touchdowns so we can see just how reliable the kid can be. He's attempted four kicks in his NFL career only one was shorter than 50 yards.

The kid need some real game kicks to forge his psyche unto a thing of iron, so we need to turtle up, keep the game close & get Bullock in as many game winning situations as possible. Then if he misses one kick it will cost us a game & the people calling for a kicker competition after week two will be justified.
Old 09-22-2013   #64
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 18345 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
First, bringing in another kicker during the week is SOP in the NFL. It's been done forever. And if the incumbent kicker can't handle that pressure with coaches watching, how will he handle it on Sundays with 70,000 watching?

I'm not saying it's time to cut Bullock loose. But, it's not too soon to bring in some competition if he has another shaky week. Because kicker is far and away the easiest position at which to make a midseason change.
It's not how they react during the practice, but it's how they play during the game, with the added pressure of knowing another guy is in the stands who the coach is looking at bringing in for your job. I just do not see trying out other kickers as a productive way to give Bullock the maximum chance of success with this team. The best way, is exactly what Kubiak has done - praised him in public - and tried to take as much pressure off him as possible.

I don't think I'm going to see eye to eye with many people here about changing the kicker, and that's fine. I do maintain however, that I would find it a far easier decision as coach to play Tate as starting running back for the week, rather than Foster - instead of the ramifications (i.e. player cuts etc) of changing a prospect kicker.
Old 09-22-2013   #65
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58272 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Who is out there that is better than Bullock? Let me rephrase that, who is out there that is better than bullock and can keep teams from having the chance to return the ball on kickoffs.

Yes he's missed some long ass kicks. He's also made the opponent go 80 yards instead of 50. So far this year, 11% (1 of 9) kickoffs have been returned. Last year? 70% (28 of 87).

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #66
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75189 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Consider the source. This team, FO, coaching staff are all worthless and have always been and always will be. You've heard references of those that will whine and snivel if we win the SB. The OP is exhibit "A".

Only way we'll win another game is if we can sign Cap or Wilson. Oh and Tom Dempsey too. Pffft
You clearly are incapable of understanding the bigger picture. Not sure why this is so difficult to understand. Some of you can't put the homerish bias aside. I see this every season.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #67
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75189 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
Who is out there that is better than Bullock? Let me rephrase that, who is out there that is better than bullock and can keep teams from having the chance to return the ball on kickoffs.

Yes he's missed some long ass kicks. He's also made the opponent go 80 yards instead of 50. So far this year, 11% (1 of 9) kickoffs have been returned. Last year? 70% (28 of 87).

Mike
So now being able to kick into the end zone is more important then kicking fgs to put points on the board? Lol! The justifications in this thread get sillier by the minute. Oh my god, how could we even think of trying out a new kicker for competition. What a crazy idea. This guy is going to be fine just because........
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2013   #68
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 154140 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think the Texans should go back to last season's offensive philosophy and go for field goals instead of touchdowns so we can see just how reliable the kid can be. He's attempted four kicks in his NFL career only one was shorter than 50 yards.

The kid need some real game kicks to forge his psyche unto a thing of iron, so we need to turtle up, keep the game close & get Bullock in as many game winning situations as possible. Then if he misses one kick it will cost us a game & the people calling for a kicker competition after week two will be justified.
That's what I'm talking about. To hell with touchdowns. Let's rehab our kicker.
Old 09-22-2013   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

That's what I'm talking about. More confidence for our kicker.
Old 09-22-2013   #70
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 58527 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You clearly are incapable of understanding the bigger picture. Not sure why this is so difficult to understand. Some of you can't put the homerish bias aside. I see this every season.
Don't talk down to me Tex. I'm clearly very capable of understanding way more than (not then) the big picture. I don't agree that your alleged "homerish bias" is at play at all here. Knee-jerk hatoraid is what I'm seeing from you.

I see this every season.

Several posters have already stated, more eloquently than I could that there's (to some at least) sound reasoning that he's not gotten the hook yet. I agree that so far he's had the most serious case of the yips that I've witnessed in 50 years of watching NFL football but I also agree with those that say IF he can overcome it we'll have a solid place kicker.

If he can't shake the pulls and pushes fairly quickly then I agree that we might need to look elsewhere. If that happens though don't come back pissin' and moanin' because Denver (or whatever team) snags him and he goes on to an illustrious career.

's outta here...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #71
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165633 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

After three weeks of watching Schaub I think the real question is "Why aren't we trying to find a QB?"

That's just how I get when Matt goes on one of his patented Pick-Six runs.
Old 09-22-2013   #72
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Don't talk down to me Tex. I'm clearly very capable of understanding way more than (not then) the big picture. I don't agree that your alleged "homerish bias" is at play at all here. Knee-jerk hatoraid is what I'm seeing from you.

I see this every season.

Several posters have already stated, more eloquently than I could that there's (to some at least) sound reasoning that he's not gotten the hook yet. I agree that so far he's had the most serious case of the yips that I've witnessed in 50 years of watching NFL football but I also agree with those that say IF he can overcome it we'll have a solid place kicker.

If he can't shake the pulls and pushes fairly quickly then I agree that we might need to look elsewhere. If that happens though don't come back pissin' and moanin' because Denver (or whatever team) snags him and he goes on to an illustrious career.

's outta here...
When you enter a thread and make zero attempts at creating a rebuttal only to write this.

Quote:
Consider the source. This team, FO, coaching staff are all worthless and have always been and always will be. You've heard references of those that will whine and snivel if we win the SB. The OP is exhibit "A".

Only way we'll win another game is if we can sign Cap or Wilson. Oh and Tom Dempsey too. Pffft
Well you don't get to tell me how to talk to you. You get what you give and all you gave was a contribution with bitter remarks and hurt feelings because of some unknown kicker that you're sensitive about for some reason. You don't have to agree and you can have all the confidence in the world in the guy, but when you also state

Quote:
I agree that so far he's had the most serious case of the yips that I've witnessed in 50 years of watching NFL football

You really don't make a lot sense for getting all butt hurt about the idea of questioning why our coach wouldn't try out some other kickers in practice.
Old 09-22-2013   #73
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I see this every season.

's outta here...
Personally, I don't think Tex is a hater. I think he's been more reasonable and fair about the team than a lot of people. Some people, myself included, are fans, but are not above pointing out critical issues with the team. That doesn't make us haters; that makes us fans.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #74
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

I think kicker is the least of our worries.
Old 09-22-2013   #75
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Personally, I don't think Tex is a hater. I think he's been more reasonable and fair about the team than a lot of people. Some people, myself included, are fans, but are not above pointing out critical issues with the team. That doesn't make us haters; that makes us fans.
Every team has it's warts, especially this early in the season. Focusing on ours just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm not saying ignore them, but understand that "our way" isn't the only way. You ask, "Why aren't we trying to find a kicker?" Understand that some people are going to see that as knee jerk after week 2 when we're 2-0

The kid was 1-1 week 1. Should we put him in the Texans ring of honor?

He was 1-4 in week 2..... so we need to bring in a kicker. Don't think a good ole fashion ass chewing would suffice? Or maybe the sick to his stomach feeling he's got is enough.

Bullock was 3-3 today & the only Texan to put points on our side of the score-board... so should we commission a statue?

Just because we don't agree with bringing in a kicker to compete with Bullock doesn't mean we're extremely pleased with his performance to date.
Old 09-22-2013   #76
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Every team has it's warts, especially this early in the season. Focusing on ours just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm not saying ignore them, but understand that "our way" isn't the only way. You ask, "Why aren't we trying to find a kicker?" Understand that some people are going to see that as knee jerk after week 2 when we're 2-0

He was 1-4 in week 2..... so we need to bring in a kicker. Don't think a good ole fashion ass chewing would suffice? Or maybe the sick to his stomach feeling he's got is enough.

Bullock was 3-3 today & the only Texan to put points on our side of the score-board... so should we commission a statue?

Just because we don't agree with bringing in a kicker to compete with Bullock doesn't mean we're extremely pleased with his performance to date.
Wait! Are we allowed to be logical on Sundays after a loss?
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #77
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Msr
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #78
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what. A new kicker would have made a difference today
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #79
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 18345 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
You know what. A new kicker would have made a difference today
Haha. If only there were a kicker whose field goals were worth 7 instead of 3 points!

Despite the poor all round performance today, I'm sure we can all agree that Bullock looked infinitely better, and that it is good to see him getting a rhythm, on the back of the support that his coach gave him midweek, whilst he was working his ass off on the training field to try and get himself out of his slump, rather than having to split his time with the veteran kicker that was being called for to try and dislodge Bullock's spot. Good job to the whole kicking unit, and to the coaching staff.
Old 09-22-2013   #80
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Still think looking for a kicker is a priority?

Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read