Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-19-2013   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Chip Kelly's offense

So what exactly is Chip Kelly's offense?
Old 09-19-2013   #2
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33473 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chip Kelly's offense

90% more plays for 40% more yardage.

In theory.
Old 09-19-2013   #3
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
90% more plays for 40% more yardage.

In theory.
Looks like his offensive players need the endurance of NBA players to properly execute it over four quarters.
Old 09-20-2013   #4
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33473 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Looks like his offensive players need the endurance of NBA players to properly execute it over four quarters.
Or the roster size and energy levels of a college football team.

I think the roster size is one of the major things that is going to hold back Kelly's offense, in terms of the speed aspect. There is likely a reason this hurry up onslaught offense hasn't really taken shape in the NFL before. The offense alone isn't a substitute for having talented players, and also players that strongly fit the system, and won't carry them through a season.
Old 09-20-2013   #5
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I would put my money on this guy being a total failure at the NFL level. What the heck was he thinking going for 2 points down 10-6?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

The Patriots run a lot of plays..... is it different from that?
Old 09-20-2013   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The Patriots run a lot of plays..... is it different from that?
Well it is more than the number of plays but the Patriots last year ran 74 plays per game. So far Philly is at 66 ppg - their stated goal is 90 ppg.

So far Kelly's system has been a boon for opponents who have averaged 75 ppg.
Old 09-20-2013   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 143924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Steve Spurrier 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #9
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28177 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

I think their defense gets worn out with having to play 40 min a game.

Unless you have Manning that can score a lot of points. Vick is not even close.
Old 09-21-2013   #10
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

High tempo offense that tries to take only 20-25 seconds between snaps. Speed, speed, speed. We watched their first game against DC and while they looked good, it was still DC. I said that I think once they start playing other teams they will be exposed pretty quick for the gimmick offense that it is.

NFL coaches had hours upon hours to watch this guys offense. It's one thing to coach Oregon and play college teams that might not be top tier. It's a whole different animal to play against the absolute best in the sport week in and week out. The players are faster and bigger than anything in the college game and I think it was doomed to fail from the beginning.

I was pretty pleased to see Andy Reid win against them and it's nice to see the wheels start to come off so soon. I have absolutely no love for teams in the North East (Philly, NY, Boston, etc) and any time they get hammered I'm pretty happy about it.

I think Chip Kelly gets another season and then goes back to college. Maybe bring some program back from the dead.
Old 09-21-2013   #11
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_Oki View Post
High tempo offense that tries to take only 20-25 seconds between snaps. Speed, speed, speed. We watched their first game against DC and while they looked good, it was still DC. I said that I think once they start playing other teams they will be exposed pretty quick for the gimmick offense that it is.
Definitely a gimmick - and it will continue to be, unless they can figure out a way to make it effective for reasons other than being quick. I don't see it really working unless Kelly gets 2-3 years there, gets to completely re-haul their roster to be geared towards young speedsters, and trying to just outgun every team they play with the offense.

Quote:
NFL coaches had hours upon hours to watch this guys offense. It's one thing to coach Oregon and play college teams that might not be top tier. It's a whole different animal to play against the absolute best in the sport week in and week out. The players are faster and bigger than anything in the college game and I think it was doomed to fail from the beginning.
It definitely is an effective system for college, and there does seem to be a huge shift toward these hurry up, no huddle offenses (at least from where I'm sitting in Pac 12 country). I think the ability to be getting snaps taken 15-20 seconds after the end of the previous play not only plays into the sheer athleticism and depth of the guys teams like Oregon have brought in, but also the synchronicity that the big programs are achieving. Teams seem to be trying to create a hurry up offense from when recruits are first stepping on campus (which might team to college players sacrificing some of their pro potential for collegiate success, if Kelly's offense doesn't stick in the pro league).

Quote:
I was pretty pleased to see Andy Reid win against them and it's nice to see the wheels start to come off so soon. I have absolutely no love for teams in the North East (Philly, NY, Boston, etc) and any time they get hammered I'm pretty happy about it.

I think Chip Kelly gets another season and then goes back to college. Maybe bring some program back from the dead.
I think that Kelly going back to the college level sooner rather than later is quite likely - as it would take such an insane amount of buy-in at a GM level at Philly which might not last the necessary 'teething period'. I'm not sure what he would do if going back to the college ranks - he'd certainly have his pick of colleges. I can't see the likely larger program vacancies that may be upcoming (USC, Texas and Nebraska) going for Chip - so as you say, perhaps a Cinderella story team might hold some appeal for him.
Old 09-21-2013   #12
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40232 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

wouldn't it be something if the eagles bomb this year, and kelly pulls a bobby petrino and takes the Texas job?
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #13
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111660 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Kelly is used to capitalizing his scheme against inferior talent and coaching. One bad personal grouping forces a timeout or a score. Things balance out in the nfl. He's a few tweaks away from having success, but he'll need a more cerebral qb then vick to do it. This is his first run and I think he'll be a couple years and done. 6-7 years from now he'll get another shot in the nfl and he'll have success.

Offensively, his drawbacks will be maintaining a lead much like a run and shoot (ball control with a lead.) Roster depth. Turnovers. Like any other coach, if he can get talent and roster depth he'll do well. His scheme exploits management mistakes of other coaches.
Old 09-21-2013   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 122393 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

not going to work without a coach on the field like brady or manning. it's a gimmick and without consistent success his players are going to get annoyed with the constant push very quickly.
Old 09-21-2013   #15
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24657 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Funny thing about that Washington team was that they made the proper adjustments and seemed to handle it in the second half. As the season goes on it's only going to get worse I feel.

It's way too dependent on speed and great players. If McCoy or Vick get hurt (which WILL happen) it's done for. The whole premise of it is to catch the defense off guard of course mainly, but it's going to need a QB that is mobile AND pretty cerebral to work.

As said above it's going to take time to get the personnel in there to do it. Every nfl team is the same though, which is why the bad teams usually are the impatient ones. Firing a coach every year (raiders) when it just takes tie for a team to get guys in there for a 3-4, a 4-3, a spread offense, ZBS, or whatever it is.

It can work, but of course only with the players to run with. Same for every NFL team really.

Last edited by fiasco west; 09-21-2013 at 07:33 AM.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #16
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

I used the example of Vince Young. I know he is kind of a joke on the board and I've never been a fan of his, but you have to admit that he had an absolutely stellar college career. Problem was he went to the pros and everyone caught up, he wasn't playing Rice and Baylor and Sam Houston State anymore.

I don't keep up with the PAC-12 or wherever Oregon plays but I don't think that it's much different than the Big 12 was. I'm thinking that to the vet players in the NFL it's just another gimmick. Everyone has an ego and I know that NFL coaches would love nothing more than to knock of Chip Kelly and his awesome new offense.
Old 09-21-2013   #17
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Quote:
Everyone has an ego and I know that NFL coaches would love nothing more than to knock of Chip Kelly and his awesome new offense.
You know how players have their bulletin board material about an upcoming opponent questioning their toughness.

I wonder if coaches have articles from ESPN about what a revolutionary Chip Kelly is on their bulletin board in their office?

The trouble with what he is trying to bring to the NFL, is that every coach is desperate to out-coach him. They're going to be intently schemed against like everyone does when they know that JJ Watt is rolling into town.
Old 09-22-2013   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Kelly will have to deal with the same thing that happens to everyone in the NFL. Exposure. There's damn little that's new under the sun and most NFL DC's have seen it all (unless you're trotting Frank Bush or Richard Smith out there to run your defense). All he's going to do is exhaust his (very finite number of) players and realize that other teams can also go fast when they need to.

The teams he's facing aren't going to be whipped from doing this every week. The NFL is 16 games and by the time he reaches the end of it he'll have probably been forced to give up this fantasy that he's going to run 90 plays a game.
Old 09-22-2013   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Anyone know what, other than wanting to run 90 ppg, makes up the "Chip Kelly" offense?

I haven't seen anything I haven't seen other teams doing.
Old 09-22-2013   #20
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Anyone know what, other than wanting to run 90 ppg, makes up the "Chip Kelly" offense?

I haven't seen anything I haven't seen other teams doing.
I'm not an X's and O's guy but I think it's just a very high tempo spread type offense. I think someone on here already said that the Pat's run pretty fast as well and put up comparable plays per game that Philly has.

I don't think it's something that's going to change the NFL and I think the league already has him figured out. Maybe two more years before Philly moves on?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read