Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2013   #41
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who does Nuk remind you of?

Well 12 receptions in just 2 games is pretty good for a rookie - especially in an offense with AJ, Foster and OD.

I am not saying he is the second coming of AJ - I am just saying, so far he looked really promising. One day he might be a legit #1 receiver, but today he already is a legit #2 receiver - and that is more than we all could`ve hoped for when we drafted him with a late first round pick.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #42
gcates
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 gcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm not the one comparing him to the better receivers of our time.

Maybe I shouldn't have said he looked like an average #2, he may very well turn into something special, I don't know.

He's got great hands & body control similar to some of the great ones..... but we're not going to design an offense of jump balls. I don't think anyway.

He's going to have to get open quickly on a more consistent basis.
For the record, when I brought the name Torry Holt into the discussion, all I said was watching Hopkins play brings Torry to mind. I never said he will have that kind of career...Torry is one of the best to ever play the position. Hopkins just reminds me a bit of Torry in the way that he plucks the ball out of the air. It's only been two games, and that's a pretty small sample size.

I will say that he looks like a very competent NFL caliber receiver and I have no concerns regarding his ability to consistently produce for our offense...which is more than I could say about any other WR we've ever had not named Andre Johnson.
gcates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #43
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

He doesn't remind me of anyone yet. He's played two games.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #44
Craig.
Nosebleeds

Rep Power: 2739 Craig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'll be damned. I raised two kids on those and pronounced it like 'nook.'

From this day forward I will call number 10 nook.
Craig. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #45
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

He reminds me of a rookie WR that has 12 catches for 183 yards and a TD in his 1st 2 professional games.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #46
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Why is his nickname Nuk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Because they pass it to the man... and boom goes the dynamite.
I thought is was because his real name is Ebby Calvin LaLoosh.
Old 09-19-2013   #47
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Id say Jerry Rice, similar size and build, not greatness, but boy does he have hands
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2013   #48
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
& I must be missing it, 'cause I can't remember. I know he had a crossing route he turned into a 21 yard gainer... but nothing else I can think of as a memorable play.

I thought I saw his 40 as a 4.41, he just doesn't look that fast. When KeShawn shook that defender & sprinted up field..... that looked fast (4.34).

He's having a great year, don't get me wrong. I'm just not seeing the fundamentals that you see in Megatron, Andre, Fitz..... all the good ones. He doesn't remind me of any of them.
You keep dogging him, yet you say he isn't anything like Fitzgerald when Fitzgerald has never been a speedster. Fitz has never been good, because he beats out guys down the field with speed. Fitz beats guys with instincts, great route running, and he knows how to beat the jam at the line really well. By your comment here, I wonder if you really know much about Fitz's skill set at all.

Hopkins is very much like Fitz. Probably a poor man's Fitz, but I'll take that all day long. Fitz is a for sure HOFer and one of the best WR's of all time. Hopkins won't have to be near that good to be a great pick.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
I'll be damned. I raised two kids on those and pronounced it like 'nook.'

From this day forward I will call number 10 nook.
We call my little brother Nuk-Nuk, pretty much for the same reason & pronounce it like book-book, with an n

He tells his friends that it means something bada55 in Tengalo. I'm sure Nuk is using that same reasoning.
Old 09-19-2013   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You keep dogging him, yet you say he isn't anything like Fitzgerald when Fitzgerald has never been a speedster. Fitz has never been good, because he beats out guys down the field with speed. Fitz beats guys with instincts, great route running, and he knows how to beat the jam at the line really well. By your comment here, I wonder if you really know much about Fitz's skill set at all.

Hopkins is very much like Fitz. Probably a poor man's Fitz, but I'll take that all day long. Fitz is a for sure HOFer and one of the best WR's of all time. Hopkins won't have to be near that good to be a great pick.
I know Fitz gets YAC like you wouldn't believe... & that's what makes him special. If he did all those other things without the YAC, he'd be Kevin Walter.

I can see his ability to go after & get jump balls similar to one of Fitz's attributes, but it's only one. Larry Fitzgerald, like you said, will get off the line clean, though he's being played tough at the LOS. He'll get open quickly & he's a play-maker with the ball in his hands.

I'm not dogging Hopkins if I say he doesn't remind me of Fitzgerald. Andre Johnson doesn't remind me of Larry Fitzgerald.
Old 09-19-2013   #51
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 56179 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

He is more athletic than Boldin, but less athletic than Roddy White. Hes not really comparable to anyone currently in the league, He is as athletic as Brandon Marshall but 4 inches shorter. He is unique especially with his big hands and ability to time jumps and win battles, especially considering his height.
Old 09-19-2013   #52
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know Fitz gets YAC like you wouldn't believe... & that's what makes him special. If he did all those other things without the YAC, he'd be Kevin Walter.
Career average yards after catch:

Larry Fitzgerald - 3.8
Andre Johnson - 4.8

Quote:
Andre Johnson doesn't remind me of Larry Fitzgerald.
I think you mean Fitzgerald doesn't remind you of AJ.
Old 09-19-2013   #53
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 12817 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

How bout we just wait to compare his body of work til after the season. Sounds like a good idea. He's off to a helluva start.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #54
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Dread Head
Best post of this thread!! That's AWESOME!!!
Old 09-19-2013   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

I think you mean Fitzgerald doesn't remind you of AJ.
The point was that just because he doesn't remind me of Fitz doesn't mean I think he's a scrub.
Old 09-19-2013   #56
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

He honestly doesn't remind me of anyone. Fitz is a good example because they have great ball skills, but even he's probably a little more explosive. His ball skills are off the charts. I'd love to see him on some post routes just to utilize him kind of how A&M does with Mike Evans. When a guy knows how to utilize his body like that take advantage. He's not nearly the size of Evans, but I think he could be the same kind of player.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #57
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I thought is was because his real name is Ebby Calvin LaLoosh.
Well played, sir!!!
Old 09-19-2013   #58
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll let Hopkins be Hopkins and let time sort it out.

Best part of him so far. 12 catches. 1 TD...11 of the catches are first downs

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players...eandre-hopkins
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #59
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Derrick Mason.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #60
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I can see hakeem nicks. Not very fast or explosive,but will get the but will get the ball when thrown his way. Not gonna get a lot of rac yards. Good #2

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read