Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2013   #1
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8095 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default calling out brooks reed and whitney mercilus

while everyone is talking about our secondary, these guys seem to be flying out under the radar. and not in the good way. wade's D needs these guys to perform and in a hurry. brooks reed is highly worrying to me as he has not progressed since being drafted. same could said about mercilus but i'll allow the end of this year before i judge him.

what do yall think
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: calling out brooks reed and whitney mercilus

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101386
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
what do yall think
I still don't think Brooks is best utilized on the outside. He's a solid player & I believe he's athletic enough to play LB. I think he could be really similar to Cushing on the inside.

Mercilus.... I honestly didn't see anything special last year. I'm thinking I'm seeing a little somet'n somet'n... I don't think he's much stronger than last year, but he seems to use his leverage better. I'm willing to give him more time... but I want to see WillieJ in the rotation.
Old 09-17-2013   #4
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I still don't think Brooks is best utilized on the outside. He's a solid player & I believe he's athletic enough to play LB. I think he could be really similar to Cushing on the inside.

Mercilus.... I honestly didn't see anything special last year. I'm thinking I'm seeing a little somet'n somet'n... I don't think he's much stronger than last year, but he seems to use his leverage better. I'm willing to give him more time... but I want to see WillieJ in the rotation.
Quote:
PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Just noticed Braman and Willie Jefferson were in at the ends on the TD to Delaine Walker.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #5
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

we need so much more production from the outside if we want to go further in the playoffs. what gets me is that we're getting pressure from everywhere else BUT our edge rushers. watt has 2 sacks, cushing has 2, and manning has 1. the last sack was the one that mercilus got tackled into week 1 - merci's also the sole owner of QB hits for an OLB (2 out of our 12). shouldnt all that interior pressure make it EASIER on the edge guys to get to the quarterback?

and it's not as if we've been lights out in the run game, the chargers ran for 80 and the titans 119 - neither a great running team last year.
Old 09-17-2013   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Quote:
PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Just noticed Braman and Willie Jefferson were in at the ends on the TD to Delaine Walker.

We were also playing a 4 deep zone.

On that same drive, Kendall Wright extended a drive again, with us playing zone & Jjo whiffing on a tackle.
Old 09-18-2013   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Once again, my stand is that Reed and Mercilus are playing the containment role so that the interior guys and Cushing can make plays.

Locker was not able to slide out of the pocket on any play without being harassed.

The only two plays inside the LT that CJ can muster decent gains were due to Mays being cleared totally out of the picture.

Those two guys are playing well if you ask me.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2013   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Once again, my stand is that Reed and Mercilus are playing the containment role so that the interior guys and Cushing can make plays.

Locker was not able to slide out of the pocket on any play without being harassed.

The only two plays inside the LT that CJ can muster decent gains were due to Mays being cleared totally out of the picture.

I somewhat agree - Seems Wade has schemed to apply pressure up the gut rather than from the outside .... & when you think about it , it makes sense.

It takes less time to get from point A to point B when you run a straight line as most often is the case from the DT/DE spot than it does to run an arc from the OLB/DE spot.

Mercilus was very solid in containing the run against the Tinbreds .... Reed was pretty good as well despite the overall #' of rushing yards allowed.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Both San Diago & Tennessee OL played better than the Texans OL. Also thought there is a lot of holding going on that's not being called. Never the less Brooks & Mercilus need technique work on hand work point blank. They can't allow the Tackles to lock them up. Flash speed, strike & punch, knock their hands off from holding, use a variety of moves besides bull like swim or rip. Stand up, drop back, move around. Overall scheme for them is too predictable to game plan against.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I somewhat agree - Seems Wade has schemed to apply pressure up the gut rather than from the outside .... & when you think about it , it makes sense.

It takes less time to get from point A to point B when you run a straight line as most often is the case from the DT/DE spot than it does to run an arc from the OLB/DE spot.

Mercilus was very solid in containing the run against the Tinbreds .... Reed was pretty good as well despite the overall #' of rushing yards allowed.
Containing was a weak point in Mercilus' game last year; that was why he didn't see the field much.

In this league with the mobile QBs and the explosive RBs like Peterson and CJ et al, I think Wade's scheme is solid.

Of course, he's going to mix it up some, but that's the principal.

That is what I saw when I re-rewatched all the games from last year in the off-season. I make it a point to look for it this year.
Old 09-18-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Both San Diago & Tennessee OL played better than the Texans OL. Also thought there is a lot of holding going on that's not being called. Never the less Brooks & Mercilus need technique work on hand work point blank. They can't allow the Tackles to lock them up. Flash speed, strike & punch, knock their hands off from holding, use a variety of moves besides bull like swim or rip. Stand up, drop back, move around. Overall scheme for them is too predictable to game plan against.
I must disagree, BL.
Except for D Brown (who may be playing hurt) in the Chargers' game, the Texans O-line outplayed the opponents in both game.

Wade Smith is the slight weak link, but we know that he's far from 100%.
Old 09-18-2013   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Look at how successful Tate and Foster were on the edges, either outside or inside tackle.

Look at the "immobile" Schaub completing passes on the roll out.

You don't see that from the Chargers nor the Titans.
Old 09-18-2013   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I must disagree, BL.
Except for D Brown (who may be playing hurt) in the Chargers' game, the Texans O-line outplayed the opponents in both game.

Wade Smith is the slight weak link, but we know that he's far from 100%.
Stat wise you are correct but then stats in football can be misleading, not sure why but they just don't tell the story like they do in baseball. Maybe its specific circumstances like being stuffed @ the line of scrimmage 18% or power ranking 25th in run blocking. Overall numbers are very good like 2nd/3rd overall but you see it on film or during games when for some inexcusable reason they sputter.

Back to DL Texans still rank a solid 8th in the league but give up a lot of yards 2nd level 23rd. 6 sacks though 2 games is nothing to write home about but respectable. 1 sack between Brooks & Mercilus is disappointing, I myself predicted Whitney would get two sacks alone against Tennesse but they did a good job holding him & not drawing the call.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Stat wise you are correct but then stats in football can be misleading, not sure why but they just don't tell the story like they do in baseball. Maybe its specific circumstances like being stuffed @ the line of scrimmage 18% or power ranking 25th in run blocking. Overall numbers are very good like 2nd/3rd overall but you see it on film or during games when for some inexcusable reason they sputter.

Back to DL Texans still rank a solid 8th in the league but give up a lot of yards 2nd level 23rd. 6 sacks though 2 games is nothing to write home about but respectable. 1 sack between Brooks & Mercilus is disappointing, I myself predicted Whitney would get two sacks alone against Tennesse but they did a good job holding him & not drawing the call.
You know I always stress that only team stats are relevant.

When the Texans D can produce that many 3 and out, you know they are doing something right.
Old 09-18-2013   #15
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 67652 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You know I always stress that only team stats are relevant.

When the Texans D can produce that many 3 and out, you know they are doing something right.
In two games, the defense has created 13 3-and-out situations in what I count as 25 possessions. Add in another punt, missed field goal, INT, downs and safety, and the opposing offenses have scored on 7 drives, which is a 28% success rate.

On the other hand, six of those seven scoring drives were TD's, of which four were for 80+ yards. It's almost a feast or famine defense. They either get off the field quick or suffer long drives.

These games are only close because of mistakes on the offensive side of the ball. Interceptions, missed field goals, and somewhere around 15 possessions in two games where they couldn't move the ball more than 30 yards.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

In this list of Podcasts, if you listen to the Reed & Mercilus interview from 9/17/13, you'll hear them comment on the idea of "containing" the QB. The gist of the conversation is that they're goal is to get the QB. Containing him doesn't sound like a "big" part of their plan, though it does come into play.
Old 09-18-2013   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
In this list of Podcasts, if you listen to the Reed & Mercilus interview from 9/17/13, you'll hear them comment on the idea of "containing" the QB. The gist of the conversation is that they're goal is to get the QB. Containing him doesn't sound like a "big" part of their plan, though it does come into play.
What a waste of time, LOL!

They said practically nothing, haha.
Old 09-18-2013   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Old 09-18-2013   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
In two games, the defense has created 13 3-and-out situations in what I count as 25 possessions. Add in another punt, missed field goal, INT, downs and safety, and the opposing offenses have scored on 7 drives, which is a 28% success rate.

On the other hand, six of those seven scoring drives were TD's, of which four were for 80+ yards. It's almost a feast or famine defense. They either get off the field quick or suffer long drives.

These games are only close because of mistakes on the offensive side of the ball. Interceptions, missed field goals, and somewhere around 15 possessions in two games where they couldn't move the ball more than 30 yards.
I think 3 missed long FGs also gave the opponents a short field.
Two INTs gave them the ball in great field positions as well.
The D played well under the cirscumstances.
Old 09-18-2013   #20
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

On XM's Fantasy Sports station this morning, some "expert" said the same exact thing. In order to contain CJ from bouncing outside, and keeping Locker in the pocket, the OLBs were simply playing containment. I have no idea who this "expert" was, but interesting to note that someone on the radio had a similar opinion.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read