Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-06-2005   #1
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Default TE solution

alright this isnt an immediate help for this year, but it is for next year... Randy McMichael, his contract runs out after this year, if the Dolphins don't wrap him up, i say we throw out whatever we can for him, i think he could be a solution to our problems, and we would be able to dump Billy Miller or Bruener or Joppru (i like him, but its up to CC). this guy is legit, and could be even better once he gets out of the hell that is miami
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #2
cred
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I like it, the guy is good...........but we have to haver billy he is a great reciever for us.He just is bad at everything else.
Happy Birthday to my boy Keith!

No way we keep Miller if in fact we would be able to get Randy McMichael. If this were to happen we should dump both Miller and Bruener, but keep Joppru. There is no way Joppru could go down for a 4th straight season. With Joppru and McMichael, that would be an outstanding combination, and if Joppru doesn't work out than we could drop him after that year is over because he would be an UFA.
cred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #3
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

There's a few problems with that. Randy hasn't threatened to hold out, and in fact I believe its been mentioned that he doesn't plan on missing any team activities this offseason in hopes that the Dolphins will pay him more along the lines of a TE of his caliber when its time to start contract negotiations. That indicates to me that he's pretty content in Miami. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see him in a Texans uniform, but its alot like the Bubba Franks thing. Both guys seem pretty happy with their current teams despite their contract. Only way I could see him even entertaining the idea is if the Texans through tons of cash his way (even more than the other NFL teams desperate for a TE). That's assuming Miami's front office some how makes a huge blunder and lets their #2 receiving threat walk which isn't likely.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #4
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
There's a few problems with that. Randy hasn't threatened to hold out, and in fact I believe its been mentioned that he doesn't plan on missing any team activities this offseason in hopes that the Dolphins will pay him more along the lines of a TE of his caliber when its time to start contract negotiations. That indicates to me that he's pretty content in Miami. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see him in a Texans uniform, but its alot like the Bubba Franks thing. Both guys seem pretty happy with their current teams despite their contract. Only way I could see him even entertaining the idea is if the Texans through tons of cash his way (even more than the other NFL teams desperate for a TE). That's assuming Miami's front office some how makes a huge blunder and lets their #2 receiving threat walk which isn't likely.
yeah im just saying that if he does somehow make it to free agency, he would be a great asset, plus lets not forget who his agent is, drew rosenhaus... so if drew wants the money, the texans will probably spend more than any other team, to find a solution for one of their few holes
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #5
cred
Rookie

Quote:
I am really glad you don't run a francise. How many people thought that there was NO way Jop would hurt himself this year.
Chances are that this deal would never go thru anyway, but one can only wish. Now if joppru was to go down again (what could be the chances of this actually happening) and we did have Randy McMichael, it still would be an upgrade over everybody that we have now anyway. Besides what would we gain in cap space with losing Miller and Bruener.
cred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #6
CAbills
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
alright this isnt an immediate help for this year, but it is for next year... Randy McMichael, his contract runs out after this year, if the Dolphins don't wrap him up, i say we throw out whatever we can for him, i think he could be a solution to our problems, and we would be able to dump Billy Miller or Bruener or Joppru (i like him, but its up to CC). this guy is legit, and could be even better once he gets out of the hell that is miami
I highly doubt the dolphins lets him go. He is young, I think only 26 and easily the best TE in the division. I would be very surprised is they let one of their key components on offense go. Especially with the QB situation they need all the help they can get.
CAbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #7
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

i would trade billy miller mark bruiner joppru and marcellus rivers and a 3rd round pick for Randy Mcmichael.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-06-2005   #8
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
yeah im just saying that if he does somehow make it to free agency, he would be a great asset, plus lets not forget who his agent is, drew rosenhaus... so if drew wants the money, the texans will probably spend more than any other team, to find a solution for one of their few holes
It all depends. The Cardinals are set to have an UDFA TE starting for them this season. I would imagine that Green would definately pursue Randy pretty hard if he were to somehow come available. I just don't want to see CC throwing way too much cash at one player just because another team is jacking up the price. I really wouldn't expect him to do so either. Really just way to many 'what ifs' that surround this situation, and it's probably closer to a dream scenario than anything else.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am really glad you don't run a francise. How many people thought that there was NO way Jop would hurt himself this year.

He's right though. Look Joppru doesn't cost that much at this point. He's "playing", for lack of better term since he hasn't actually played a down for the Texans, under his rookie contract. Joppru gets one more chance, no doubt about it. After that I think his spot is gone if he makes it four straight years.

I'd think simply out of morbid curiosity the Texans keep him around another year. They've already lost the majority of the money they're going to lose on him. What's left doesn't amount to much really. I myself am very curious to see if it's possible for someone to go through their entire rookie contract without being healthy for a single game. I hope it's not possible.
Old 07-07-2005   #10
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Joppru gets one more chance, no doubt about it. After that I think his spot is gone if he makes it four straight years.
Is his season over... do they have an updates?
Old 07-07-2005   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It was over when he tore his ACL

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005   #12
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

Understood... but it happened in mini-camp so is it a 12 month thing or is he going to be available for post season?

Additionally what is Miller’s and Bruener's contract status? When do they become UFA?

…I ask because I think our existing tight end position is really one-dimensional and I have no confidence that Miller is learning how to block under Bruener's tutelage or Bruener is getting better at catching the ball.
Old 07-07-2005   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of his money is already paid via his signing bonus. His salary is not so much that you would need to cut him right now just to have someone else pick him up for next season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005   #14
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

at this point its worth more to keep him than cut him, we are already under the cap by a decent chunk, we dont need more cap room.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005   #15
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

even though it's still hard to believe that it's three in a row for good 'ol joppy boy, imagine the chip on his shoulder if and when he gets healthy. if he's been working hard for three years to play pro ball, i definately see him fully recovering from the bum ACL. then that leads us to this time next year, where we find out if his spirit has been officially borken and he will only have amounted to a shell of his former potential...but let's hope for the former and not the latter. either way, we will only know if he's a texan.
Old 07-07-2005   #16
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Joppru may play next year and not be worth a darn. How many times have we seen a good player in college stink up the pros. And we are talking about one that hasn't played football for 3 years by the time he gets another shot and has never played an nfl down. I'm all for giving him another shot next year but I do think we need to sign a very good proven te. TE has been a weak link on the Texans since our beginning.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #17
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

so who are the top 5 all around TEs?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #18
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
so who are the top 5 all around TEs?
1) Tony Gonzalez
2) Shannon Sharpe
3) Ozzie Newsome
4) Mike Ditka
5) Mike Vrabel
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

what about chad lewis? he is a free agent, the eagles don't seem interested, and carr could use a veteran that worked with a great pocket prescence QB in Don-nabb. then again, i don't think the texans want 6 TE's.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Chad Lewis also injured himself pretty good in the NFC championship game so he might be damaged goods.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read