Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2013   #1
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Leading with the Helmet

In regards to leading with the helmet, I thought this play by Jackie Battle was as obvious as you can get.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%2001%20AM.mov

Is there something I'm missing about this new rule?

This was a big play btw. This was on the first Titans drive where they scored a TD. Instead of 1st & 25, it was 2nd & 1, and they score a TD 4 plays later.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Leading with the Helmet

That play has been discussed by some national commentators as a missed call by the refs.

Last edited by infantrycak; 09-17-2013 at 01:52 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I was wondering about that as well. I don't like the new rule, and thought Battle was doing what big backs are supposed to do, but I'm just waiting for the penalty to be called against a Texan, at which point I'll be annoyed. So the Battle play caught my attention.
Old 09-17-2013   #4
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Think I pointed this one out in the game day thread. Glad to hear that I'm not alone in thinking that this was a flagable moment...
Old 09-17-2013   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I was wondering about that as well. I don't like the new rule, and thought Battle was doing what big backs are supposed to do, but I'm just waiting for the penalty to be called against a Texan, at which point I'll be annoyed. So the Battle play caught my attention.
I'm really surprised that this is the first instance of it this season. I figured we see a lot of it in the preseason, & through week 1...... figured the refs would be throwing flags left & right as they "learned" how to officiate it.

I guess it doesn't happen as often as we thought.
Old 09-17-2013   #6
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have that feeling too... that it won't really be called throughout the season, until that key drive, in a crucial game, in week 16, and it will be called against the Texans out of nowhere.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm really surprised that this is the first instance of it this season. I figured we see a lot of it in the preseason, & through week 1...... figured the refs would be throwing flags left & right as they "learned" how to officiate it.

I guess it doesn't happen as often as we thought.
Once the refs clarified that it wouldn't be called in the first couple yards of the LOS, I knew it wouldn't be all that common. But big backs in general have their legs targeted, so they tend to be the ones leading with the helmet moreso than the guys who want to juke or spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I have that feeling too... that it won't really be called throughout the season, until that key drive, in a crucial game, in week 16, and it will be called against the Texans out of nowhere.
Exactly.
Old 09-17-2013   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

This rule gives refs MORE power to control the outcome of IMPORTANT games & ensure that Superbowl teams are taken from ESPNs favorites list, which basically means teams on the east coast, or in a city that is a popular tourist destination, or with a top 5 QB (who preferably could be an underwear model).

Nothing to worry about here.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
This rule gives refs MORE power to control the outcome of IMPORTANT games & ensure that Superbowl teams are taken from ESPNs favorites list, which basically means teams on the east coast, or in a city that is a popular tourist destination, or with a top 5 QB (who preferably could be an underwear model).

Nothing to worry about here.
...Joe Namath..??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

From PFT.com

Quote:
Tennessee’s Jackie Battle is the first NFL running back to be fined under the new rule against lowering the crown of the helmet into an opponent.

The NFL has confirmed that Battle was fined $21,000 for a crown of the helmet violation in Sunday’s game against the Texans. Battle lowered his helmet into Houston’s Danieal Manning.
Old 09-20-2013   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Just using this story as a jumping off point, because it's a new rule, but ...

I wouldn't mind seeing some refs get fined. Seems like to me if you can fine a player retroactively, then you're saying the call was missed. Should be a performance metric for the refs. Miss enough calls consistently, get fined. Refuse to call holding against the OL that tackle JJ Watt, get fined. It's all there on tape and just as subjective as these other rules.
Old 09-20-2013   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I wouldn't mind seeing some refs get fined. Seems like to me if you can fine a player retroactively, then you're saying the call was missed. Should be a performance metric for the refs. Miss enough calls consistently, get fined. Refuse to call holding against the OL that tackle JJ Watt, get fined. It's all there on tape and just as subjective as these other rules.
They're supposedly graded each week and the guys who grade out best over the course of the season get to work the playoff games. That translates to additional money. So, indirectly, the ones that screw up regularly are fiscally punished.
Old 09-20-2013   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
They're supposedly graded each week and the guys who grade out best over the course of the season get to work the playoff games. That translates to additional money. So, indirectly, the ones that screw up regularly are fiscally punished.
Being punished by saying we won't give you a bonus is far different from saying we're taking from your base, both in financial terms and in terms of message. But I get what you're saying.
Old 09-20-2013   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Those grades also go into whether or not they keep their job. Too many poor grades & they'r out.
Old 09-20-2013   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Being punished by saying we won't give you a bonus is far different from saying we're taking from your base, both in financial terms and in terms of message. But I get what you're saying.
The referees do get fined under the right (wrong?) set of circumstances.

Quote:
The NFL doesn't appreciate obscenities being broadcast over the airwaves, even when it happens by mistake.

The NFL announced Friday that referee Tony Corrente has been fined a game check for his actions Nov. 4 in Indianapolis when the Colts faced the Miami Dolphins.
LINK

And while I can't prove this, I'm under the impression it's not unheard of, it's just seldom if ever made public.

But I also think it's something that could easily go too far. Fining a ref for missing a call would be the equivalent of fining a player for missing a block, or dropping a pass. As was mentioned before, there are evaluation processes in place, and while nothing's ever perfect, I think the NFL has far and away better game officials than Baseball or Basketball. so they're doing something better than their peers. Besides, I don't want the referees' and their crews having the financial implications of making or not making a call running through their mind any more than I want the possibility of a fine running through Kareem Jackson or Brian Cushing's mind as they get ready to make a TD saving hit, or a drive stopping sack.
Old 09-20-2013   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: Leading with the Helmet

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #17
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dadgum good point. Seconded!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Dadgum good point. Seconded!
At every game the crew has their supervisor watching and grading their performance. They are not held to a perfect game. They are allowed some error. Officials do get fined but the NFL does not announce these fines. And those accumulating too many are not eligible to call playoff or SB games so there is definitely financial incentive involved.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Do away with helents and you end leading with the helment.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
At every game the crew has their supervisor watching and grading their performance. They are not held to a perfect game. They are allowed some error. Officials do get fined but the NFL does not announce these fines. And those accumulating too many are not eligible to call playoff or SB games so there is definitely financial incentive involved.
Refs actually get fined...?

I did not know that

(I'm probably the only one old enough to know who these guys are)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read