Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-06-2005   #1
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Default QB's on the Hot Seat this year

Source: Espn - Clayton

Essentially talks about several QB's on the Hot seat this year starting with "Joey" from detroit, but Mr Carr's name also came up as expected it would being this is a contract year basically. IMO - Alot of folks will be scrutinized this year on the team from top to bottom. Now hold on - That said it doesnt mean Mr. Carr is driving off the "Texans" lot so to speak, nor does it mean he has not improved every year thus far. IMO He has to keep up the pace this year especially.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...C-DT9705204233

Tidbit's on Carr from the article -

Other quarterbacks on the hot seat heading into this season include Aaron Brooks of the Saints, Brian Griese of the Bucs, David Carr of the Texans and A.J. Feeley of the Dolphins. Omitted from the list are Kyle Boller of the Ravens and Rex Grossman of the Bears because their judgment days won't come until 2006 or later; they simply haven't had enough starts to make a full determination.

Carr's case is interesting and should result in a happy ending. His numbers are coming close to playoff level -- 61.2 percent completions, 7.58 yards per attempt, 16 touchdowns and an 83.5 quarterback rating. His contract has a buy-back option at the end of the year and the Texans are expected to execute the option or negotiate a long-term extension.

Though the Texans won a franchise-best seven games last year, much more is expected of Carr. His record is 14-29 as a starter and, barring a major setback, high expectations have been set.
Old 07-06-2005   #2
stephen1
Veteran

we dont really have another option besides carr, so im not buyin that
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #3
cred
Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
He was placed on a Expansion team, he was not placed on a team like the Steelers were he had a Hall of Fame tailback a great o line and a great D. He started from scratch. Anybody know were James Allen, Jermaine Lewis, Jimmy Herndon, Domingo Graham, Camron Spikes, Nate Dorsey, Gregg Randall, Avion Black, MATT STEVENS, Ryan Schau and Stacey Mack have gone. These guys started for the kid, so I am not buying this.......The guy didnt fall on to a superbowl contender or even an average team.

Honestly I can't remember "1/2" these guys. So to me your point is made.
cred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #4
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is a well thought out article. IF David Carr doesn't step up to the next level THIS season, I could very well see there being some discussion amongst the Coaching/GM on whether we keep him or not. I think the buyback option and his future salary would definitely play into those decisions in todays 'bottemline' NFL.

Now simmer down Hulk75. I also think that Carr does improve enough this season and he re-signs a contract with the Texans.

Of course every fan of every team in the NFL thinks at this time of the year that THEIR team is going to improve so much over last season that the Superbowl trip is merely a matter of marking off the days.

I think a very big reason that it will happen that way is due to Pitts moving back to our LT position. He played the first 2 season's for Carr at LT and did a pretty good job, even though he was definitely in a learning process.

and MATT STEVENS Hulk?? It was painfull enough watching him while he was ON the team. Who in the world would watch where he went when he was off the team?
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #5
Diehardtexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
Ind MATT STEVENS Hulk?? It was painfull enough watching him while he was ON the team. Who in the world would watch where he went when he was off the team?
I think I saw him on that freak show where people are covered from head to toes with tattoos. IMO he was trying to cover all the bruises he got falling down when running backs and receivers where blowing by him.
Diehardtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
I think it is a well thought out article. IF David Carr doesn't step up to the next level THIS season, I could very well see there being some discussion amongst the Coaching/GM on whether we keep him or not. I think the buyback option and his future salary would definitely play into those decisions in todays 'bottemline' NFL.
Really? I think if Carr doesn't "step up" this season, the coaching/GM folks might be discussing where to send their resumes. Carr will out live this coaching staff, that's a given. And Casserly's star will ride on the Carr pick, like it or not. Carr becomes in trouble at QB when a new coaching staff/GM comes in & decides they want to go in another direction. Until then, he's safe.
Old 07-07-2005   #7
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Really? I think if Carr doesn't "step up" this season, the coaching/GM folks might be discussing where to send their resumes. Carr will out live this coaching staff, that's a given. And Casserly's star will ride on the Carr pick, like it or not. Carr becomes in trouble at QB when a new coaching staff/GM comes in & decides they want to go in another direction. Until then, he's safe.
If you're right about Carr (hope yer not) that would suck. And if we do get a new coaching staff along with a new GM to boot, there will more than likely a new QB that is drafted with a 1st round pick.
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2005   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

David Carr will, without a shadow of a doubt, improve his numbers for the fourth consecutive year. Nothing is going to stop this from happening with the possible exception of injury and it's injury that I fear the most.
Old 07-07-2005   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr is in no trouble and we have about ZERO chance of using our first pick on a QB. From the start the Texans told us that we would watch our young offensive skill players mature as a group and we would just take the growing pains as they matured into veterans themselves. Carr has much to work on before he is an elite QB, but he is not the kind of player a team replaces.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005   #10
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL
Default Agreed

What he said

There is no way the TEXANS organization drafts a QB next year in the first round. IMPOSSIBLE

even if the whole front office is re-done, any GM with half a brain knows that they can't afford to waste a 1st rounder on a QB.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
If you're right about Carr (hope yer not) that would suck...
Um, I don’t actually think that Carr, the GM, or the Head Coach will lose their job. That was my response to the premise of Carr losing his job due to a decision made by the Casserly/Capers braintrust. I think that in ’05 Carr will improve & the team will improve. I think that in the ’06 offseason Carr, Casserly, Capers & company will get contract extensions. I was only responding to the “what if…” scenario that was presented.
Old 07-07-2005   #12
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Chris Palmer is the only guy that needs to be sweating his job this season.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Chris Palmer is the only guy that needs to be sweating his job this season.
Can we post this statement for the rest of this thread. I am not a Fire Chris Palmer guy from days past but this offense is stacking nicely with talent and if it isn't used right this guy has to go.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005   #14
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Can we post this statement for the rest of this thread. I am not a Fire Chris Palmer guy from days past but this offense is stacking nicely with talent and if it isn't used right this guy has to go.
I defended Palmer because he had a good track record as an offensive coach. I got mad at some of his offseason comments about our O-line blocking schemes being adequate. That really chapped me.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005   #15
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I'm not quite ready to pull the plug on palmer just b/c our OL limits soooo much of what we can do. Its impossible to have a deep game when you get 1.5 seconds to throw it. That said I'd like to see us ATTEMPT to stretch it just a tad more than we have been even if carr takes a lump at least make the other team THINK we want to do it.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #16
titan hater
Veteran

Default John Clayton

He wrote...

Carr's case is interesting and should result in a happy ending. His numbers are coming close to playoff level -- 61.2 percent completions, 7.58 yards per attempt, 16 touchdowns and an 83.5 quarterback rating. His contract has a buy-back option at the end of the year and the Texans are expected to execute the option or negotiate a long-term extension.

Though the Texans won a franchise-best seven games last year, much more is expected of Carr. His record is 14-29 as a starter and, barring a major setback, high expectations have been set.
titan hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #17
Fldvldog
Veteran

If Joey Harrington does not get it done this season, he will probably never start again in the NFL. Kyle Boller is also one that needs to step it up.

PS: Has anybody noticed Bollers unorthodoxed release? I don't understand how he could throw the ball like that!
Fldvldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #18
Evans Fan
Rookie

Carr won't be on the hot seat becaus e he has nothing to be worrireed about theyu will keep him cuz carr and johnson have great chemistry
Evans Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #19
DreamCatcher
Rookie

Carr will keep improving his numbers because he has talent. He does need better pass rush protection though and i hope Palmer has sorted that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read