Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2013   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The OLBs

Its still early, but our OLBs seem to be our glaring weakness on D moving forward.

With Cush back, the signing of Mays, Sharpton healthy, Joseph 100%, Ed Reed, Swearinger, flashes of upgrade from Mitchell... We have the makings of a nasty D health considered. But we really need an outside pass rush to become truly dominant imo. Who is going to step it up at OLB this year?

Candidates:

Reed - I have little faith in him as more than a high motor back up special teams player at the moment. Looked average again on Friday.

Mercilus - The dude had some sacks in his rookie campaign. But they seemed to all be effort sacks much in the mold of Reed.

T Williams - I really liked this pick but I cant find a single positive review thus far.

Montgomery - Some loved this pick, but I didnt get it. Hoping I was wrong. Dude needs to get over the injury/conditioning cloud that seems to be hovering over him early on. This guy my have the most upside.

Braman - Love the guy, but if he doesnt surface soon not sure if he ever will.

Jefferson - Another Brayman in the making? Chicken legs concern me, but love his explosiveness.

I think we are all going to be keeping a close eye on this crew. Right now, I see a whole lot of average at best. The most important thing to me is for Whitney to prove himself a first round pick. I need at least flashes, like yesterday.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: The OLBs

Braman
Old 08-11-2013   #3
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Braman
10-4

Sidenote: Texans have invested a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th into this unit over the past 3 drafts.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with ya, Tailgate. I'm just as worried about run defense as I am pass rush, though.
It's gonna be Reed and Merci starting but I'm thinking we'll be seeing more of Jefferson as the season goes on and he gets his bulk and strength up.

Braman hasn't had a great camp, from what I understand. Just a career ST star, from what I can tell. He doesn't appear to have a very high football IQ.

I really liked the Montgomery pick. I'm really hoping the leaders on the D and the coaching staff can give him an attitudinal adjustment and keep him from going all Travis Johnson on us. Has some very good upside, but is off to a disasterous start.

T. Williams should be good depth in the future. He'll probably contribute before Montgomery and I've heard/read decent reports on him in TC.
Old 08-11-2013   #5
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i really liked what i saw from braman. he did a good job of using leverage and didnt allow the linemen to get their hands on him, using his very long arms to make separation. he definitely seems to be paying attention in class. i dont know that he'll develop into anything more, but i would certainly keep him around as a backup and special teamer - that's a guy you want on your team.

everyone else? well i hope watt and ninja have big years getting to the passer, because our linebackers outside of cushing are pretty bad.
Old 08-11-2013   #6
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I've heard nothing but negative reports on Williams. I want to see more of Braman with the 1st unit. Some guys are just not really good practice players, but find an extra gear when the lights come on. I thought Reed looked quick the other night, and I think Merci will be ok. Between Sam, Willie, and Braman we'll be fine. Williams looks like he might be the odd man out right now. Wouldn't be surprised if we picked someone up who gets waived after TC as well.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #7
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

This position is a reason I think Texan fans need to tone down their expectations for this team this season.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2013   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i really liked what i saw from braman. he did a good job of using leverage and didnt allow the linemen to get their hands on him, using his very long arms to make separation. he definitely seems to be paying attention in class. i dont know that he'll develop into anything more, but i would certainly keep him around as a backup and special teamer - that's a guy you want on your team.

everyone else? well i hope watt and ninja have big years getting to the passer, because our linebackers outside of cushing are pretty bad.
I think Joe Mays will be a good player for us. I'm not as worried about the ILB's as I am the OLB's.
Old 08-11-2013   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I think Joe Mays will be a good player for us. I'm not as worried about the ILB's as I am the OLB's.
Yeah, that's kinda freaking me out.

Before TC, I was really, really worried about the ILBs. Now? That's not worrying me as much.

I'm not too worried about Brooks Reed. But I need Mercilus to make a big leap from year 1 to year 2 and I need some of these rookies to step up, otherwise we're looking at picking up a street FA to stick into the rotation. I'm not expecting Braman to be anything other that ST and maybe situational pass rush.

Jefferson and Trevardo Williams ended up in coverage a lot more than I expected.

We've got a long way to go with our OLBs.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #10
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post

I think some people are too negative on Mercilus. He didn`t get that much playing time last season, still got lots of sacks (for a rookie) and a couple of forced fumbles. Reed is more of a LB to stop the run and being relentless, but that`s ok for one side of the field. He can and he will get some sacks, just not double digit sacks.

Yeah, OLB is a question mark, but we need to give those young guys some time... With some more help from the inside they should take the next step.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #11
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's too early to tell, but I'm starting to get a little worried about these guys. The lack of a pass rush from these guys is what will sink this team! JJ (S)Watt can't do it all by himself........again!
Old 08-11-2013   #12
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76315 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I stated before TC started this was my biggest area for concern. Im hoping someone decent gets cut or just released in the next couple weeks. I don't have ANY confidence in anyone currently on the roster at this position.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #13
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Im not overly concerned about our starters, but depth is a concern. We will know what its like in 2 weeks vs the Saints. If we continue to get pressure up the gut, we will eventually open up the lanes outside.
Old 08-11-2013   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Im not overly concerned about our starters, but depth is a concern. We will know what its like in 2 weeks vs the Saints. If we continue to get pressure up the gut, we will eventually open up the lanes outside.
Actually, getting Cushing, Watt, & Antonio on the field is probably going to make these scrubs look like Pro Bowlers.
Old 08-11-2013   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

to me, our outside linebackers have been unremarkable for a while now. The Viking game didn't help. The best OLB we've had lately is Mario Williams. Too early to panic though. I'm hoping they continue to grow into their roles.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Actually, getting Cushing, Watt, & Antonio on the field is probably going to make these scrubs look like Pro Bowlers.
Exactly. I have no worries at all about the LB's, Not a single one. It's gonna be fine once the big dogs get on the field with them. Then they'll find the going a lot easier as the offense tries to control Watt, Cushing, and Smith (and Mitchell from the looks of things)

We'll be fine.... unless the injury bug shows up. Nobody can entirely overcome that.
Old 08-11-2013   #17
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe I was drunk but it seemed to me that Reed was collapsing the pocket the plays he was in there leading to some sacks by interior defensive linemen. I don't think you can judge an OLB solely by sacks. Who else will have the experience to drop back when asked? I think Reed starts opposite Mercilus with the youngsters rotating in or playing situational roles. As some of you have said, funny what will happen when Sgt Slaughter and the Ninja get back to work.
Old 08-11-2013   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Exactly. I have no worries at all about the LB's, Not a single one. It's gonna be fine once the big dogs get on the field with them. Then they'll find the going a lot easier as the offense tries to control Watt, Cushing, and Smith (and Mitchell from the looks of things)

We'll be fine.... unless the injury bug shows up. Nobody can entirely overcome that.
The is with this one.

Old 08-11-2013   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Reed looked good to me. He looked like he lost a little weight, but he still looks strong. He looks good rushing and playing on the edge. I'm not worried about him.

And tuggle actually looked good to me. He looks stronger than the other guys that played out there. Willie has some talent. But he stands up too high at times and is easily pushed around. I thi k he's good enough to be a back up this year and pass rush guy.

Trevardo is fast but that's it.

I thought Braman looked really good. I think he is ready to take meaningful snaps. Hopefully merciless has improved. If he has I thi k our LB corps as a whole is going to be pretty good. I think we are going to be fine there.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans showed a ton of 4-man fronts last year;
I think Jamison might see some snaps here, the way he played last night.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read