Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2013   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Thoughts About Defense

The defense did not play well last night and we all may say there are new players, or Ed Reed did not play. First game. All true. But, I wonder how much has to do with rule changes. Defense is not the same the NFL and the fans prefers scoring over defense. Quarterbacks are better off.
Old 09-10-2013   #2
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts About Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
The defense did not play well last night and we all may say there are new players, or Ed Reed did not play. First game. All true. But, I wonder how much has to do with rule changes. Defense is not the same the NFL and the fans prefers scoring over defense. Quarterbacks are better off.
I think we looked rusty, and uninspired. We werent playing disiplined football on offense or defense, and i think the opening INT and quick score by the chargers threw us off. I'm not worried about the D, Antonio Smith will be back next and the pass rush will be much better !
Old 09-10-2013   #3
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Our defense had a rough go for a half but still didn't give up a whole lot of yards. We played damn good defense the second half (if you can ignore the first drive).
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #4
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I think missing Ninja had a lot to do with a lack of putting pressure on QB. The lack of pressure resulting giving enough time for opposition QB to complete pass which makes our DBs look bad.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #5
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 169179 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those are valid points/factors and I would add that we missed Antonio too.
But
They woke up and buckled down when it counted
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I think we looked rusty, and uninspired. We werent playing disiplined football on offense or defense, and i think the opening INT and quick score by the chargers threw us off. I'm not worried about the D, Antonio Smith will be back next and the pass rush will be much better !
Overall defense has become harder to play.
Old 09-10-2013   #7
awc713
Rookie

Rep Power: 247 awc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respected

We held their offense to around 10 yards in the second half, if I'm not mistaken.

That's not too bad. I guess. Yeah, they looked rusty in the first half, but I'm not worried about them. Once Antonio is back, and Ed Reed...we'll be fine. Our D, at least.

More worried about the offense play calling and Foster. Foster NEEDS to be back. NEEDS to be healthy. His ypc has been slipping and it's becoming noticeable. Now, a lot of isn't just him, but my point is that he needs to be healthy to be effective.

Luckily this was his first game back, so maybe this was just a "getting the feet wet" type of game for him.
awc713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2013   #8
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Overall defense has become harder to play.
Oh i agree with that, but overall in the past off season not that many nig rule changes were made to the defense, only major one i saw was with RBs using crown of his helmet.

My point is not that much has changed on defense in the last 2 seasons so we will still be fine.
Old 09-10-2013   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Oh i agree with that, but overall in the past off season not that many nig rule changes were made to the defense, only major one i saw was with RBs using crown of his helmet.

My point is not that much has changed on defense in the last 2 seasons so we will still be fine.
Agree, but Brady, Manning, and others have brought more offense to game more than before..
Old 09-10-2013   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the passing game is too advanced and the rules are too far slanted toward offense in the NFL to run a predominantly man scheme. If you do so, you are likely to get burned by QBs and receivers that's are on point. As long as we run this scheme, we will likely have games where we get lit up in the passing game. Effective blitzing and knocking balls down at the line of scrimmage is pretty much our only chance to stop it. I don't expect us to be all that great against the pass this year.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

What rules are you saying changed this year which affected the Chargers game?
Old 09-11-2013   #12
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 11061 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anyone take into account the start time was 9:30 pm? The NFL screwed us their. The whole team look lackadaisical for two quarters. They looked tired and slow. West coast time plus a late start might have been an issue for them.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #13
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not too worried about defense. We looked great for one half and rusty the other half. Watt, Cushing, Mercilus, Mitchell were coming of injuries - A. Smith and Ed Reed are still missing and should help (Smith was really missing in the running game).

We don`t have real holes on defense. Sure OLB depht looks shaky, ILB has question marks, CB3 looked bad - but all teams have problems like that. We have enough talent to be the best defense of the league.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Unless they changed a few rules back to the old rules between the first half & the second... I don't think it was a rule change issue.

Our defense kicked their ass in the second half with the most current rules intact.
Old 09-11-2013   #15
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50843 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

I really can't agree with a single assessment thus far in this thread. I feel the stubbornness of Wade Phillips to Blitz every other down is what got us into this mess in the first place. Of the 49 times Rivers was sacked last year, 35 came when rushing 4 or less. The guy can't deal with defenses dropping 6 into coverage, and yet, we sent 5 or 6 every other play. In addition, sending Swearinger to safety blitz is taking Danieal Manning's greatest quality away from his skill set, playing near the LOS and blitzing. I understand Ed Reed being out directly affects that decision but we have to be able to generate pressure without the blitz.

Phillips didn't adjust until after the opening TD drive in the third quarter, had he done so after the first 15 minutes we'd be singing a much different tune.

While I think this game plan will be much more effective against Jake Locker with his completion percentage woes, Phillip Rivers isn't the QB to play that game plan against. He sees single coverage matchups too easily and was picking on McCain and Reed.
Old 09-11-2013   #16
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not in panic mode just yet, but I'm strongly discouraged by the pass rush. All of the scouting reports I've read before the game said the Charger's OL was horrible and the Texans will be pressuring Rivers all day. I didn't see that. Besides Watt, no one was beating their guy one-on-one. I know Antonio would have been a big help, but I don't want to get into that mode of thinking "we'll be better when so-and-so gets back". Our defense can't rely on everyone being healthy for the whole season.

I know McCain got repeatedly torched, but you're asking alot from a CB to being playing man so much. Either the pass rush needs to get to the QB extremely quick, or I'd like to see Wade call more diverse coverages.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #17
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I really can't agree with a single assessment thus far in this thread. I feel the stubbornness of Wade Phillips to Blitz every other down is what got us into this mess in the first place. Of the 49 times Rivers was sacked last year, 35 came when rushing 4 or less. The guy can't deal with defenses dropping 6 into coverage, and yet, we sent 5 or 6 every other play. In addition, sending Swearinger to safety blitz is taking Danieal Manning's greatest quality away from his skill set, playing near the LOS and blitzing. I understand Ed Reed being out directly affects that decision but we have to be able to generate pressure without the blitz.

Phillips didn't adjust until after the opening TD drive in the third quarter, had he done so after the first 15 minutes we'd be singing a much different tune.

While I think this game plan will be much more effective against Jake Locker with his completion percentage woes, Phillip Rivers isn't the QB to play that game plan against. He sees single coverage matchups too easily and was picking on McCain and Reed.
This too! ^^^

Everyone on here is so quick to jump on Kubiak's stubbornness on offense, but I don't understand why Wade gets a free pass. Wade's frequently repeated blitz & man-coverage is equivalent to Kubiak's persistence to stick with the run.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #18
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 17856 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

The two thing that I knew that would go into decline this season are Schaub and the Defense. After the SD game maybe there's hope that Schaub can improve. But the defense is still a glaring concern for me. SD biggest weakness is clearly their offensive line and yet we applied very little pressure at Rivers.

I watched the game from Palm Springs Ca and is mostly Chargers fan over there and after the game listening to their local sports radio folks were feeling upbeat even after a loss, particularly about how their offensive line held up in pass protection. I'm sick to my stomach hearing how they think their line stonewalled our Dline pass rush.

But my biggest issue with our defense is our Db's still don't play the ball when it's in the air, particularly on man coverage. J.Jo use to play the ball all the time when he was in Cincy. In his first year in Houston he played the ball most of the time. In his second year game after game I noticed he's playing it less and less. That long passing play Rivers completed in the beginning of the 2nd half Joseph was stride for stride with his man. The ball was in the air forever. Joseph never once look up but contend to play the receiver instead. If he bother to look up the ball was there for the taking.

If Johnathan Joseph, a player whose always played the ball in his entire career, switched teams, then gradually loses that habit, is that on him? Or is that his coaches not emphasizing that on their players? Does anybody have any recent memory of one of our Db's playing the ball on a long pass? Next week against the Titans I can guarantee there will be a long completed pass or a pass interference flag against our Db's because they didn't bother to look up at the ball. I just hope it doesn't cost us the game.
klockWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #19
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Barring injuries, this Defense will only get better as the year goes on. Reed comes around, Mays and Swearinger will get more experience, and Cushing should get better further removed from ACL.

A key still is Mercilus. If this guy breaks out, lookout. Another is possibly seeing more zone packages rolled out for high octane teams.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #20
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Barring injuries, this Defense will only get better as the year goes on. Reed comes around, Mays and Swearinger will get more experience, and Cushing should get better further removed from ACL.

A key still is Mercilus. If this guy breaks out, lookout. Another is possibly seeing more zone packages rolled out for high octane teams.
In a 3-4 defense we don't have the outside linebacker than can put up the big numbers we need. Reed has dropped off, Mercilus.. not a proven factor yet, and we rely on Watt..

Not good, we really need someone else to step up and be a 10 sack a year guy.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read