Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2013   #1
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What's up with Brooks Reed?

Brooks is starting to frustrate the hell out of me. He is not getting close to the QB to get sacks and I don't see him make plays in the running game.

I just don't get it. He was a badass during his rookie season 2 years ago. Towards the end of that season, he was exciting and looked like the second coming of the Claymaker. Watch the playoff game against Baltimore in 2012. The 2 players on our D that stood out were JJ Watt and Brooks. JJ stepped up his game and had an exceptional 2012 season. Where is the Brooks Reed from the 2012 Baltimore game? I miss him.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #2
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881
Default Re: What's up with Brooks Reed?

I don't understand why anyone ever thought he was a good pass rusher. He doesn't play big enough and can't shed blocks. The majority of his sacks his rookie year he fell into. He can play decent against the run (at best) but is awful in pass rush. And, as we saw last night, awful in coverage. Mercilus is 1000 times better as he can actually make moves and shed blocks to get to the QB.
Old 09-10-2013   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

??

I've been hard on the olb's as anyone, but they looked good last night. Reed looks faster and more athletic than he looked last year. I was worried after game one last year about the pass rush from the outside.

I'm not worried after this game. The sacks will come.

I thought reed looked good in the run game btw. He was in coverage a bit too and had that nice coverage on the RB late in the game.

What exactly was it you saw that has you frustrated with reed?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not worried about our OLBs either... YET.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235029 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Reed was poor rushing the passer and in coverage. Offside penalty, too.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #6
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Reed is just rusty but he better get the rust out quick before Willie Jefferson takes some time from him. Reed is nothing to worry about....Sharpton is the only linebacker that I would be concerned with. Guy can't stay healthy to save his life.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

he didnt make many if any plays but he wasnt horrible...just solid imo. We only had 2 sacks all night, Mercilus and Manning. SD wasn't letting us get there b/c they mostly utilized the short passing game. JJ spoke a little about it at the end of the game, but the front 7 as a whole just wasn't on the same page for much of the 1st half...preseason rust i think.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2013   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
he didnt make many if any plays but he wasnt horrible...just solid imo. We only had 2 sacks all night, Mercilus and Manning. SD wasn't letting us get there b/c they mostly utilized the short passing game. JJ spoke a little about it at the end of the game, but the front 7 as a whole just wasn't on the same page for much of the 1st half...preseason rust i think.
The sack by Manning, I believe, was due to Reed pushing the pocket, forcing Rivers to step up.

I also saw Reed beat Fluker off the edge, but he slipped at the last moment.
Old 09-10-2013   #9
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
??

I've been hard on the olb's as anyone, but they looked good last night. Reed looks faster and more athletic than he looked last year. I was worried after game one last year about the pass rush from the outside.

I'm not worried after this game. The sacks will come.

I thought reed looked good in the run game btw. He was in coverage a bit too and had that nice coverage on the RB late in the game.

What exactly was it you saw that has you frustrated with reed?
What frustrates me is that he doesn't seem to shed blockers too well. He seems to be just engaged with the opposing lineman and not freeing himself to get to the QB. That's what is bugging me.

Brooks was the guy I was most excited about from the 2011 draft. I have been high on the guy for a while so maybe I have unrealistic expectations of what he is and can be.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The sack by Manning, I believe, was due to Reed pushing the pocket, forcing Rivers to step up.

I also saw Reed beat Fluker off the edge, but he slipped at the last moment.
Fluker was really slow in pass protection during the preseason. The Chargers grabbed him because he's a monster run blocker (But drafting a RT at like 10 or 12 or whatever seems really stupid).

I'll say this about the game last night: For whatever reason after the Chargers went up 28-7 they pretty much stopped utilizing their deep passing game, which was pretty brutal for the first 2 and a half quarters of the game. They switched to short dinky stuff that had the ball out of Rivers's hands in about 2 seconds or less, which makes it almost impossible to get a sack or even a good pass disruption. The thing is, Joseph and Kareem can cover guys for just 1 or 2 seconds, those two get in trouble when we go all out blitzing and are left on an island for 3 or 4 or even 5 seconds. The first half it looked like the Texans pass rush was getting stoned and Rivers could pick where he wanted to go, but the second half there was no real long ball threats and they went with all short crap. They also pretty much abandoned Ryan Matthews who was actually looking not bad in the first half and decided the second half offense was going to run through Eddie Royal (Another bad decision).

The only thing that worries me is that we're not going to go up against panty waste coaches who are going to dial up such silly adjustments because they are up so big every week. I know there was some chatter that Wade switched to more zone concepts with his schemes in the second half, and they did seem to be more effective than blitz/man over and over again, but the Chargers are not sporting a great OL. King Dunlap is probably the worst LT the Texans will get to face all year, and DJ Fluker was a rookie playing in his first game. Jeromey Clary is awful as a G, and Hardwick and Rhineheart are journeymen at best. I think with a line that bad you should be able to blitz your 2012 DPOY and your 2009 DROY (x2) and have some good outcomes with that.

I would say that Cush was our best LB last night (by like a hair, cause Mays was actually stopping some running plays in the first half) then Mercilus then Reed but neither of the OLB's wow'ed me with anything they did. I think Locker is a terrible QB though and he is prone to making even more boneheaded plays than Phillip Rivers, so our LB's should have some more opportunities to make plays. Hopefully Ninja coming back will give us some more energy on the line.
Old 09-10-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

We do need more interior pressure, especially with Watt lining up outside some.
There was very little of it last night.
Old 09-10-2013   #12
SWATteam
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Fluker was really slow in pass protection during the preseason. The Chargers grabbed him because he's a monster run blocker (But drafting a RT at like 10 or 12 or whatever seems really stupid).

I'll say this about the game last night: For whatever reason after the Chargers went up 28-7 they pretty much stopped utilizing their deep passing game, which was pretty brutal for the first 2 and a half quarters of the game. They switched to short dinky stuff that had the ball out of Rivers's hands in about 2 seconds or less, which makes it almost impossible to get a sack or even a good pass disruption. The thing is, Joseph and Kareem can cover guys for just 1 or 2 seconds, those two get in trouble when we go all out blitzing and are left on an island for 3 or 4 or even 5 seconds. The first half it looked like the Texans pass rush was getting stoned and Rivers could pick where he wanted to go, but the second half there was no real long ball threats and they went with all short crap. They also pretty much abandoned Ryan Matthews who was actually looking not bad in the first half and decided the second half offense was going to run through Eddie Royal (Another bad decision).

The only thing that worries me is that we're not going to go up against panty waste coaches who are going to dial up such silly adjustments because they are up so big every week. I know there was some chatter that Wade switched to more zone concepts with his schemes in the second half, and they did seem to be more effective than blitz/man over and over again, but the Chargers are not sporting a great OL. King Dunlap is probably the worst LT the Texans will get to face all year, and DJ Fluker was a rookie playing in his first game. Jeromey Clary is awful as a G, and Hardwick and Rhineheart are journeymen at best. I think with a line that bad you should be able to blitz your 2012 DPOY and your 2009 DROY (x2) and have some good outcomes with that.

I would say that Cush was our best LB last night (by like a hair, cause Mays was actually stopping some running plays in the first half) then Mercilus then Reed but neither of the OLB's wow'ed me with anything they did. I think Locker is a terrible QB though and he is prone to making even more boneheaded plays than Phillip Rivers, so our LB's should have some more opportunities to make plays. Hopefully Ninja coming back will give us some more energy on the line.
You make some good points but how in the world is a former pro bowl center who has spent 9 years with his only team a journeyman at best? Granted he's a "probowler" in the same sense that Wade Smith is but still.

Strange first post I know..Im coming from different Texans boards which I couldnt stand anymore. The negativity here is nothing in comparison, I like it already.
SWATteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Brooks Reed proved last night why we were heavily considering moving him to ILB in the off season. It wasn't only because of our need at ILB, it's because he's just not quite fast enough or athletic enough to consistently put pressure on the QB. Reeds body type just screams ILB, not OLB. He can't dip a shoulder to get around a blocker and can't get off of blocks once engaged. I know it's not a perfect solution but I'd really like to see the Texans move him to ILB, next to Cushing, and start Jefferson at OLB. Jefferson has more length, and athleticism to put pressure on the QB. I also think Reed would be great at the inside blitz.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I can believe I'm defending Reed as a pass rusher, but I think reed looks much better on the outside than he did last year.

Looking at film from last year, 76 hypothesized that wade wanted them to set the edge and contain rather than all out rush. That's how bad he looked last year.

I think for a strong side olb, reed looks awesome. If merci can build on what he did last night, I will be thrilled with the outside rush.

Lets not forget, the wolb is the pass rush guy. I mean, that's the guy you want to be your best outside rusher. Merci should be around 8-10 for a good year and 5-8 for Reed is a good year. I'm talking about true beat your man sacks. Merci was beating people last night.

Reed looked faster, and quicker to me as well. Hes not going to disengage many people. He has never done that in the NFL. Even as a rookie, when OL got their hands in him he was done.

But what he can do is push the pocket and be relentless.

I'm feeling the OLB's this year. They look 1,000x better to me. But that's jmo.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
One main factor in the change in SD's passing game is that the Texans started mixing in heavy doses of zone coverage and did a decent job of disguising it.

Just about any starting CB tandem can cover 1-3 seconds but not much longer and any starting tandem will get burned on an all out blitz that doesn't get to the QB.

Brooks looked OK to me. He got burned on the TD, but that was a very good call and the vast majority of LB's will get burned by a RB in that route.

I was all for moving Reed inside next to Cush until I saw Mays playing like his hair was on fire.

As the season goes on, I would like to see Merci moved to Reed's side and Jefferson come in at Merci's in passing situations.
Old 09-10-2013   #16
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I think Brooks Reed proved last night why we were heavily considering moving him to ILB in the off season. It wasn't only because of our need at ILB, it's because he's just not quite fast enough or athletic enough to consistently put pressure on the QB. Reeds body type just screams ILB, not OLB. He can't dip a shoulder to get around a blocker and can't get off of blocks once engaged. I know it's not a perfect solution but I'd really like to see the Texans move him to ILB, next to Cushing, and start Jefferson at OLB. Jefferson has more length, and athleticism to put pressure on the QB. I also think Reed would be great at the inside blitz.
He's an attrition rusher. He's a guy who keeps coming and if the coverage holds up,he'll get sacks. He's not a guy who can just whip a tackle and get a sack. That's why I think he will be better ilb because then he gets the run start and half a man who isn't as athletic as the rt or lt. I've been saying that for awhile,but they seem content with him until either jefferson,montgomery,or williams shows up.
Old 09-10-2013   #17
qqert
Veteran

Rep Power: 10591 qqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respected

its just the personnel match-ups.
he'll play better this week against the tn thespians.
Old 09-12-2013   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I may be way off base here but I think Montgomery and Trevardo were drafted to allow Brooks to move to ILB but that plan backfired. At least for now.
Old 09-12-2013   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, he is now dealing with a back issue.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWATteam View Post
You make some good points but how in the world is a former pro bowl center who has spent 9 years with his only team a journeyman at best? Granted he's a "probowler" in the same sense that Wade Smith is but still.

Strange first post I know..Im coming from different Texans boards which I couldnt stand anymore. The negativity here is nothing in comparison, I like it already.
Welcome to the board.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read