Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2013   #21
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's up with Brooks Reed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWATteam View Post
You make some good points but how in the world is a former pro bowl center who has spent 9 years with his only team a journeyman at best? Granted he's a "probowler" in the same sense that Wade Smith is but still.

Strange first post I know..Im coming from different Texans boards which I couldnt stand anymore. The negativity here is nothing in comparison, I like it already.
A first post that doesn't scream troll? Congrats! You're doing better than most of the new people lately. Welcome aboard!

I would tend to agree with you and give him a little more credit at center, but I thin b0ng's overall point still stands. This is one of the worst olines that we will face this year, and there has got to be more pressure against those better lines.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #22
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I think Brooks Reed proved last night why we were heavily considering moving him to ILB in the off season. It wasn't only because of our need at ILB, it's because he's just not quite fast enough or athletic enough to consistently put pressure on the QB. Reeds body type just screams ILB, not OLB. He can't dip a shoulder to get around a blocker and can't get off of blocks once engaged. I know it's not a perfect solution but I'd really like to see the Texans move him to ILB, next to Cushing, and start Jefferson at OLB. Jefferson has more length, and athleticism to put pressure on the QB. I also think Reed would be great at the inside blitz.
If he can't get off blocks won't moving him inside just mean he'll get engulfed by the big ole road-grader guards in the running game?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013   #23
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If he can't get off blocks won't moving him inside just mean he'll get engulfed by the big ole road-grader guards in the running game?

Occaisionally he might get eaten up by OG's but like Cushing I see him more as someone who can come on a delayed blitz once the OG is tied up with the D-line. I think his speed is good enough to drop back in zone coverage, help with coverage on TE's and RB's as well and he's got the size to play the run game.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013   #24
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I may be way off base here but I think Montgomery and Trevardo were drafted to allow Brooks to move to ILB but that plan backfired. At least for now.
Quote:
Occaisionally he might get eaten up by OG's but like Cushing I see him more as someone who can come on a delayed blitz once the OG is tied up with the D-line. I think his speed is good enough to drop back in zone coverage, help with coverage on TE's and RB's as well and he's got the size to play the run game.
, but I think Badboy nailed right here. There's of coarse no way to prove it but that's a suspicion that I've held for a while as well.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #25
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
, but I think Badboy nailed right here. There's of coarse no way to prove it but that's a suspicion that I've held for a while as well.
I agree with you and BB about Montgomery and T. Williams being drafted so that B. Reed could be moved inside and it obviously not working. I'll say it again I'd like to see Reed moved inside and start Jeffson at OLB. It's not a perfect answer to the problem but neither is what we're doing right now. Also if Jefferson is going to develop he's got to get some experience. Very disappointed in Montgomery and T. Williams, and our scouting dept..
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #26
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Very disappointed in Montgomery and T. Williams, and our scouting dept..
How many pass rushers taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds make immediate impacts? The high picks were spent on Mercilus and Reed and they're the ones who must get it done. I think CND nailed it with Reed's back problems. I don't see how that will improve over the course of the season.
Old 09-15-2013   #27
busterspencer
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 busterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
Brooks is starting to frustrate the hell out of me. He is not getting close to the QB to get sacks and I don't see him make plays in the running game.

I just don't get it. He was a badass during his rookie season 2 years ago. Towards the end of that season, he was exciting and looked like the second coming of the Claymaker. Watch the playoff game against Baltimore in 2012. The 2 players on our D that stood out were JJ Watt and Brooks. JJ stepped up his game and had an exceptional 2012 season. Where is the Brooks Reed from the 2012 Baltimore game? I miss him.
His girlfriend cut off a lock of his hair while he was asleep...You know the rest..
Old 09-15-2013   #28
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Did he even play today? I can't honestly remember him in a single tackle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #29
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
He sucked today and mercilus wasnt much better. Watt gets doubled and tripled team, you would think our olb's would take advantage. Instead, they are slow dancing with the tackles and are just non factors.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #30
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
He sucked today and mercilus wasnt much better. Watt gets doubled and tripled team, you would think our olb's would take advantage. Instead, they are slow dancing with the tackles and are just non factors.
Mercilus was solid from my review Reed on the other hand is borderline invisible
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #31
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with you and BB about Montgomery and T. Williams being drafted so that B. Reed could be moved inside and it obviously not working. I'll say it again I'd like to see Reed moved inside and start Jeffson at OLB. It's not a perfect answer to the problem but neither is what we're doing right now. Also if Jefferson is going to develop he's got to get some experience. Very disappointed in Montgomery and T. Williams, and our scouting dept..
Sure it hasn't started off well but these things do take time, often longer than one would want. They knew pass rush improvement needed so drafted two then added a sleeper with Jefferson. Heck Merciuls only had reserve & limited duty as a first round pick, as rookie now he is getting reps & looking better, more consistent, a professional.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #32
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
None that I can remember and I was focusing on him a ton while at the game. Willie Jefferson needs to get on the field. He has natural ability that Brooks doesn't. His long arms make him a poor man's Aldon Smith. Move Brooks inside or bench his ass
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #33
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Reed played OK today for a SLB. Unfortunately, Merci did a better impression of a SLB than a WLB today.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read