Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2013   #1
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 84722 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Perception is Reality Stats

At one point in the game last night, I think it was around the early third quarter when SD scored their final TD, they flashed up a stat board showing how all of the "elite" QB's had a field day with the Texans defense last year. They continued to say that Rivers was doing it to them tonight as well.

Interestingly enough, while it seemed the first half was a clinic being put on by the Charger offense, Rivers wasn't exactly the second coming of Brady. In four first half series, he was 8-15 for 110 yards. Yes, he did have three TD's, but in two of those three scores, he was set up in the red zone by no effort on his part.

First, nothing needs to be said about the game opening turnover. Second, on the last TD of the half, he only completed 2-6 passes. One was Gates turning a short pass into a long gain, and the other was Brown making a phenomenal play to the end zone. The one drive where he did seem to pick the Texans apart was the second one where he went 4-7 for 40 yards, but in that one as well he was aided by a 21 yard PI call to give them 1st and Goal.

And the running game? Almost 75 yards against the Texans in the first half. It was clearly a balanced approach by the new OC, and it was working well against the Texans. But being picked apart by an "elite" QB? Not exactly.

The drive to start the 3rd quarter was a clinic though, going 5-7 for 75 yards and his fourth TD. Big 47 yard pass on the first play from scrimmage. I believe that this was when the graphic came out, and while the four TD's were very flashy, he still only had 185 yards.

I know what you are going to say: 28-7 is still 28-7 and he was the QB on the field making plays. But then what happened after that? For the first six series of the game, they get four TD's and 250 yards of offense. The following five series? Four 3-and-outs, a Pick Six and 10 total yards of offense. Rivers ends the game under 50%, an INT, two sacks and 95% rating.

But they came out with quick scores, and Rivers is throwing 1 yard and 6 yard TD's after his RB's and penalties did him a bunch of favors, and the story is that this defense can't handle elite QB's.

But yet after one series in the second half, this defense figured them out and literally shut them down for the final 25 minutes of the game.

Meanwhile, Matty Half-Ear goes for 350 yards and 3 TD's on 75% completion rate and a 110% QBR, showed a little Fred Estair in his cement blocks and had a pretty damn good touch on his throws most of the night, but it's all about how he will never lead this team to the Super Bowl because of the opening INT.

And while there can be the argument that he *had to that because they were in comeback mode, they finished with 120 yards rushing for the game. The talking heads even commented on the next drive after it was 28-7 that this team is very methodical and wasn't built to come back, and that they were continuing to run their normal offense.

But Rivers is an elite QB that picked this team apart, and Schaub is a system QB that can't bring his team from behind to win.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #2
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24657 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Perception is Reality Stats

ESPN is a odd network. They are more about promoting storylines for these games than anything.

It's odd how not much is said about Schaub and what he did, yet when Manning did it a year ago it was all they wanted to talk about. I think they just like to promote stories and that is their main focus.

So what is going to happen is when the Texans lose a big game (maybe the one against the 9ers coming up) they will go on and on about how the Texans aren't ready for the big lights, the big stage, etc. Because every superbowl team is 1.000 for nationally televised games apparently (which are usually your toughest games any ways) so I'm not surprised.

I never really felt like Rivers was picking us apart. I felt the Chargers as a team had some really fortunate breaks. I remember saying at half that the Texans have come back against better offenses. I did feel like their dline and oline was outplaying ours though, that was what was most troubling. Not Rivers.
Old 09-10-2013   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post

But Rivers is an elite QB that picked this team apart, and Schaub is a system QB that can't bring his team from behind to win.
I mentioned that stat they showed in another thread & thought.... what is everyone else giving up to these "elite" QBs? We're talking about QBs at the top of everyone's FF list. 2 TDs to Rogers, Brady, Peyton... doesn't sound too bad.
Old 09-10-2013   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, for sure.
They want story lines and they have the numbers that they need to put to use, you know.
No matter how they need to massage the stats; it's just what they do.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #5
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 84722 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I mentioned that stat they showed in another thread & thought.... what is everyone else giving up to these "elite" QBs? We're talking about QBs at the top of everyone's FF list. 2 TDs to Rogers, Brady, Peyton... doesn't sound too bad.
The funniest was that they put the rookie Luck up there. Already annointing him as elite! But at least they were honest enough to show that his stats came in two games. Which I thought was funny because he passed for less than 200 yards and had 2 TD passes in each game. I guess a rookie season of 54% completion rate, 18 interceptions and a 76% QBR is elite level these days. Schaub is a guaranteed HOFer...
Old 09-10-2013   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The funniest was that they put the rookie Luck up there. Already annointing him as elite! But at least they were honest enough to show that his stats came in two games. Which I thought was funny because he passed for less than 200 yards and had 2 TD passes in each game. I guess a rookie season of 54% completion rate, 18 interceptions and a 76% QBR is elite level these days. Schaub is a guaranteed HOFer...
Touche.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #7
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Luck: 1.4 TDs a game
Brees: 2.7 TDs a game
Brady: 2.1 TDs a game
Manning: 2.3 TDs a game
Rodgers: 2.4 TDs a game

Seems like only Luck and Brady threw more TDs to us than their average last year - we held every other QB under their average. IŽll take that.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2013   #8
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post

Seems like only Luck and Brady threw more TDs to us than their average last year - we held every other QB under their average. IŽll take that.
Okay you guys lost me. Rodgers didn't throw 2 touchdowns against us. He threw SIX touchdowns.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #9
sandman
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post

If we are going to get technical, while the talking heads were commenting on struggling against elite QB's, the Texans only lost to two of them: Brady and Rodgers. The other two losses (Vikes and Colts) the QB's did anything but pick the defense apart.

Who cares that Manning went for 330 yards in a loss? It took him 52 attempts to get there because they were playing from behind. And the Texans won, so it's a moot point. And wasn't Brees in the pre-season?? And I thought Flacco was elite with his 150 yards in a loss. And Stafford throwing over 60 times to get two TD's. And Jay Cutler got abused before getting knocked out.

BUT OH MY GAWD!!! The Texans get it handed to them by two prolific passing HOFers and all of a sudden they can't stop any good quarterback.

And the sad part is that the national media is going to reference this game where Rivers "lit them up" for 195 yards.

Perception is reality indeed.
Old 09-10-2013   #10
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Okay you guys lost me. Rodgers didn't throw 2 touchdowns against us. He threw SIX touchdowns.
YouŽre right, I most have blocked that out - man, that was an ugly game. Didn`t check the facts and just thought the TV guys got it right...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris Berman is absolutely awful awful awful at play by play.

BTW, JJ Watt was rated as the 3rd best DE in week 1 and the best 3-4 DE as graded by PFF.
Old 09-10-2013   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...this team is very methodical and wasn't built to come back, and that they were continuing to run their normal offense.

AJ says, "Yeah, just keep believin' that..."

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Chris Berman is absolutely awful awful awful at play by play.
Gets my vote for the 'Understatement of the Day' award.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
I thought he threw a few, but if I remember the stat they showed... it looked like they said 0.

Maybe their 6 looked like a 0.

Maybe I was sleepier than I thought.

Maybe I was drunker than I thought.

But I thought that's what I saw.
Old 09-10-2013   #15
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought he threw a few, but if I remember the stat they showed... it looked like they said 0.

Maybe their 6 looked like a 0.

Maybe I was sleepier than I thought.

Maybe I was drunker than I thought.

But I thought that's what I saw.
Re-watching it right now, they definitely put a 0 for Rodgers in the TD category.
Old 09-10-2013   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Re-watching it right now, they definitely put a 0 for Rodgers in the TD category.
That's a relief........ I wasn't drinking.
Old 09-10-2013   #17
busterspencer
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 busterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respected

We will never get any respect, we are NOT on the east or west coast.

I need someones help. I moved to Frisco TX, north of Dallas, 2 years ago and need somewhere to watch the Texans games up here in enemy territory.
busterspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #18
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a relief........ I wasn't drinking.
haha that was pretty funny

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read